Re: American Air Show 28-29 May

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Yikes, this looks thin! :shock:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GAR_Editor/status/736548433411051522[/tweet]
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

All-ticket helping to fix the "freeloading" problem, then...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/lesjudge/status/736548217731600384[/tweet]

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The mound is once again empty.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

Pen Pusher wrote:The mound is once again empty.

Brian

So is Duxford by the looks of the photos that have been posted of the inside!!

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

Talldan76 wrote:

Brian

So is Duxford by the looks of the photos that have been posted of the inside!!

RIP Duxford :clap:

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

Got to say the new rules don't seem to be that bad watching this. Thought it would be worse but quite good so far. Sun is coming out as we speak!!! What other Airshow will you see the French and a kc-135 at this year?!?!?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Using my Tamron 150-600 and having to keep pulling back to get formations in. Might pack my 70-400 for tomorrow. BBMF on Dak gone U/S again.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Pen Pusher wrote:Using my Tamron 150-600 and having to keep pulling back to get formations in. Might pack my 70-400 for tomorrow. BBMF on Dak gone U/S again.

Brian

That's always been the case unless you happen to be in Royston rather than at the show. It's how frame filling the individual aircraft are that's the measure of how far away they are.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Big clue there, Brian, is the word "formations".

Private Custard

Post by Private Custard »

Yeah, there is absolutely no way of 'bigging this up'!

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

Think you all need to enjoy it for what it is. Let's face it there's planes in the sky so be happy. Wow you can't get a full frame shot any more. Move on!! You have eyes for taking it in. Or off for a new hobby for you all

Private Custard

Albion143 wrote:Think you all need to enjoy it for what it is. Let's face it there's planes in the sky so be happy. Wow you can't get a full frame shot any more. Move on!! You have eyes for taking it in. Or off for a new hobby for you all

How many times do I have to explain myself? It's not all about the photos. If the aircraft are somewhere closer to the next county, the whole experience is marred. And yes, I am moving on. Moving on to what, I have no idea, but I'm leaving this ****storm behind!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Albion143 wrote:Think you all need to enjoy it for what it is. Let's face it there's planes in the sky so be happy. Wow you can't get a full frame shot any more. Move on!! You have eyes for taking it in. Or off for a new hobby for you all

If everyone with a camera at an airshow "moved on", they'd be up the creek without a paddle because that's a big chunk of the audience looking for something else to do.

As I've said for many years, if something is good for a photographer, then it's also good for the spectator. If flying displays are so far away that photography with a telephoto lens becomes pointless, how can it possibly retain any value as a spectator sport with the naked eye?

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

Private Custard wrote:

How many times do I have to explain myself? It's not all about the photos. If the aircraft are somewhere closer to the next county, the whole experience is marred. And yes, I am moving on. Moving on to what, I have no idea, but I'm leaving this ****storm behind!

There's not much difference to last year though in terms of distance!! Think more is being made of it than necessary

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Albion143 wrote:
Private Custard wrote:

There's not much difference to last year though in terms of distance!! Think more is being made of it than necessary

Everything at Duxford has been miles away for years - why do you think the field was so popular to begin with? I've seen it with my own eyes from outside, some of the stuff flies further south than the middle of the field, and on the second axis, sometimes further south than Grange Road.

Old Warden was quantifiable - things that previously displayed on a 100m line are now more than double the distance at 230m, and things that were permitted closer than 100m (as close as 40m) are three, nearly four, times further away at 150m. How anyone can say that twice or three times the distance "isn't much different" is beyond me.

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

Albion143 wrote:
Private Custard wrote:

Albion143 - you should see my comparison shots from 2015/2016 Old Warden. Massive difference.

Private Custard - hunting them in the wild, far more enjoyable, rewarding and exciting. No display lines for the Chinook that buzzed past at Spade yesterday at 10-15 foot 25 metres away… Heading of the Mach tourist path also has its enjoyments.

Private Custard

Ewart wrote:
Albion143 wrote:
Private Custard wrote:

Albion143 - you should see my comparison shots from 2015/2016 Old Warden. Massive difference.

Private Custard - hunting them in the wild, far more enjoyable, rewarding and exciting. No display lines for the Chinook that buzzed past at Spade yesterday at 10-15 foot 25 metres away… Heading of the Mach tourist path also has its enjoyments.

Unfortunately I have a job!

jonny7

Post by jonny7 »

Private Custard wrote:

Take photos of cars and bikes at shows!, thousands get killed by these things every year but you can still get up close to them. If the CAA changed the rules to protect the public outside of the event at an air-show, surely spending more time in the air away from the airfield increases more possibility of a mishap over the danger areas its supposed to keep away from? :butt:

ImageDSC03730 by John Bilcliffe, on Flickr
Don't say something crass, to hide your envy. Just give credit, when its applicable...

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

For the first time in many many years i''ve not bothered to go to Duxford and it doesn't sound like i'm missing anything either. Bring on Florennes in a months time where we will be treated like adults and allowed to see aircraft doing unthinkable things like using flares and flying within a few miles of the crowdline :shock:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Big crowd....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/I_W_M/status/736588256096194560[/tweet]

The show is over now. IWM have tweeted asking people to "stick around for the entertainment on stage". On the evidence above, they might as well ask them all personally, more likely to get the message out that way. :grin:

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

Private Custard wrote:
Ewart wrote:
Albion143 wrote:
Private Custard wrote:

Unfortunately I have a job!

Me too. Just after 6 long days worth of shifts I get 4 days off in a row.
Beats the 9-5 I've been working for the past 5 years.

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

I'm not sure why they would want to advertise that last shot...

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

Talldan76 wrote:I'm not sure why they would want to advertise that last shot...

Maybe thats as busy as it got and as close as they came..... But there's always the museum to look at :lmao:

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

Brian

Not the whole time it wasn't.

I was sitting in prime position on the top of the tank bank directly opposite the mound with my binoculars.!

There were around eight people there for probably 45 mins to an hour before a guy in a yellow jacket attempted to move them on. Another chap in yellow stood some distance away but he seemed more interested in taking his own photos!

Eventually the people were persuaded to leave, which they did in dribs and drabs, but took as long as possible about it. Four of them continued to watch and take photos from about fifty yards to the west. One mound user seemed to hide himself in the undergrowth and I though for a while the yellow guy had missed him.

As I predicted, flying didn't stop.......

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Big clue there, Brian, is the word "formations".

At least I was there taking photographs instead of moaning and complaining because air shows are not going your way :tongue2:

Brian

DfG on Facebook