Dan O'Hagan

Re: American Air Show 28-29 May

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Well done.

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

Screechy wrote:
Talldan76 wrote:I'm not sure why they would want to advertise that last shot...

Maybe thats as busy as it got and as close as they came..... But there's always the museum to look at :lmao:

That about sums it up.

Having been all day on Friday I was very much it two minds about whether to use my free ticket.

In the end I did, arrived about 12.30 and was able to set up my chair in prime position at the top of the tank bank!

I left as soon as the Typhoon finished and was out the gate in less than two mins and back home by 5.45.

Certainly a hassle free experience and at least I got to watch the side show of the eviction from the mound through my binoculars!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:Certainly a hassle free experience and at least I got to watch the side show of the eviction from the mound through my binoculars!

Doesn't say much for the airshow though if that was how you passed the time?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Me and my friend went into airspace at quarter past one and we was the only ones in there. :tumbleweed:
Today must have been the only time i thought the Patrouille De France were dull and the music was terrible!
Was bored most of the day as i didn't get the proper buzz and effect of the aircraft, everything was so far away!
Typhoon was good though, always is.
I usually leave an airshow buzzing. But today i had a thought thinking 'well that was different'.
My poor 100mm lens :grin:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Well done.

I thank you. :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

DeHav

Post by DeHav »

Nowhere near as bad as I expected. Definitely not as good as shows a few years ago, but it's still better than no air show.

The Huey was nice to see. The Typhoon display was one of the best I've ever seen, although it seemed rather short.
Nikon D5300
Sigma 150-500 f/5.6-6.3
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Sigma 17-55 f/2.8
Nikon 35mm f/1.8

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Albion143 wrote:
Private Custard wrote:
Albion143 wrote:Think you all need to enjoy it for what it is. Let's face it there's planes in the sky so be happy. Wow you can't get a full frame shot any more. Move on!! You have eyes for taking it in. Or off for a new hobby for you all

How many times do I have to explain myself? It's not all about the photos. If the aircraft are somewhere closer to the next county, the whole experience is marred. And yes, I am moving on. Moving on to what, I have no idea, but I'm leaving this ****storm behind!

There's not much difference to last year though in terms of distance!! Think more is being made of it than necessary

Everything at Duxford has been miles away for years - why do you think the field was so popular to begin with? I've seen it with my own eyes from outside, some of the stuff flies further south than the middle of the field, and on the second axis, sometimes further south than Grange Road.

Old Warden was quantifiable - things that previously displayed on a 100m line are now more than double the distance at 230m, and things that were permitted closer than 100m (as close as 40m) are three, nearly four, times further away at 150m. How anyone can say that twice or three times the distance "isn't much different" is beyond me.

I haven't commented on Old Warden as I've never been there. All I can say is that I've been in today and although I don't have the best equipment I've got some ok pictures. My 3 year old loved her first Airshow and had a good day. Granted it isn't the best with the new regs but I won't be letting that spoil me going and doing the thing I love!!!

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:Certainly a hassle free experience and at least I got to watch the side show of the eviction from the mound through my binoculars!

No but it was good fun, particularly watching them try to round up the chap in black and red stripey shirt.... :heyhey:
...Rad shutters auto.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Where's Wally came to mind. :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Very pleasant day. Display lines not noticeably effected, as far as I could see. Certainly not like Old Warden.

Unfortunately Duxford have had a couple of years of very high profile shows, two Lancasters, Battle of Britain etc. This was very much a mixed show of several years ago, nothing unique, just nice. Consequently I think all ticket was probably over the top.

Did notice a sniper hiding in the long grass of the field getting thrown out mid afternoon :clap:

BDL

Post by BDL »

Enjoyed the show, obvious that aircraft were further away BUT some pilots still managed to display some fantastic routines, take a bow Bronco Team. Thought it was a fantastic display, great tightpasses by both the Bronco and Piggy. A few pilots could do with looking at them and copying. If everyone fly's like that under the "new" regime then airshows are still well and truly alive and kicking.

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Albion143 wrote:Got to say the new rules don't seem to be that bad watching this. Thought it would be worse but quite good so far. Sun is coming out as we speak!!! What other Airshow will you see the French and a kc-135 at this year?!?!?

RIAT? :tumbleweed:

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:The mound is once again empty.

Brian

Not the whole time it wasn't.

I was sitting in prime position on the top of the tank bank directly opposite the mound with my binoculars.!

There were around eight people there for probably 45 mins to an hour before a guy in a yellow jacket attempted to move them on. Another chap in yellow stood some distance away but he seemed more interested in taking his own photos!

Eventually the people were persuaded to leave, which they did in dribs and drabs, but took as long as possible about it. Four of them continued to watch and take photos from about fifty yards to the west. One mound user seemed to hide himself in the undergrowth and I though for a while the yellow guy had missed him.

As I predicted, flying didn't stop…....

That's naughty. Mind you, if "security" can shoot from the naughty field than I may just apply for a job. :)

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

Adie1980 wrote:
Albion143 wrote:Got to say the new rules don't seem to be that bad watching this. Thought it would be worse but quite good so far. Sun is coming out as we speak!!! What other Airshow will you see the French and a kc-135 at this year?!?!?

Try again!!! No French and certainly won't be a KC-135 flying!!!

JJC

Post by JJC »

Albion143 wrote:
Adie1980 wrote:

Try again!!! No French and certainly won't be a KC-135 flying!!!

The 'French' will be at RIAT. Just not the 'the French' you're talking about...:whistle:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Thoughtful_Flyer

keithjs wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:

No but it was good fun, particularly watching them try to round up the chap in black and red stripey shirt.... :heyhey:

Quite!

Pity it was only a silent movie. Hard to hear what was being said from a quarter of a mile away, particularly over the noise of those dammed warbirds!

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

anyone going tomorrow is going to have a fantastic flying display. todays was excellent

Thoughtful_Flyer

UKAirshowTour wrote:anyone going tomorrow is going to have a fantastic flying display. todays was excellent

Well parts of it was - apart from the murk!

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

UKAirshowTour wrote:anyone going tomorrow is going to have a fantastic flying display. todays was excellent

Yes indeed had a great day myself particularly with the crowds down and no windbreaks. There was a much more relaxed feel to the whole day being able to wander back and forth to the crowd line, stand right at the fence without being jossled about and navigating windbreaks etc.... Nice one Duxford!...I also personally like the idea of the giant screens too, (not sure I would at first) but they seemed to work well.. oh, and as for the entry and exit experience.. :up: :up: 3 minutes in and 3 minutes out...
...Rad shutters auto.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

I agree UKAirshowTour, it really was an excellent Airshow I really enjoyed it too ! I was a bit apprehensive about how far away the displays would have to be, due to the new CAA regulations. But I didn't really notice much difference, in fact some displays seemed as close as they usually are. I did notice all displays were avoiding flying over the M11 though. Also the weather was decent too. I am really looking forwards to tommorows display !
Last edited by eddywinch82 on Sat 28 May 2016, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Will be my first time driving to Duxford on a show day tomorrow, quick question about the parking. I know about the car park across the road from the show site, but read about another one close to the American Air Museum, where abouts is the entrance to that one? Is it simply a matter of carrying on down that same road?

Timc

Post by Timc »

Yes indeed had a great day myself particularly with the crowds down and no windbreaks. There was a much more relaxed feel to the whole day being able to wander back and forth to the crowd line, stand right at the fence without being jossled about and navigating windbreaks etc.... Nice one Duxford!...I also personally like the idea of the giant screens too, (not sure I would at first) but they seemed to work well.. oh, and as for the entry and exit experience.. :up: :up: 3 minutes in and 3 minutes out..

Didn't go myself, had the cut the lawn and didn't fancy a 300 mile round trip, but the bigger picture from your comments suggest that Duxford is on a slippery slope?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

itfcscott wrote:Will be my first time driving to Duxford on a show day tomorrow, quick question about the parking. I know about the car park across the road from the show site, but read about another one close to the American Air Museum, where abouts is the entrance to that one? Is it simply a matter of carrying on down that same road?

It is indeed - if coming from the M11 direction. Just keep going until you come across the entrance on the left, behind the land warfare hall.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
itfcscott wrote:Will be my first time driving to Duxford on a show day tomorrow, quick question about the parking. I know about the car park across the road from the show site, but read about another one close to the American Air Museum, where abouts is the entrance to that one? Is it simply a matter of carrying on down that same road?

It is indeed - if coming from the M11 direction. Just keep going until you come across the entrance on the left, behind the land warfare hall.

Excellent, cheers for the info.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

No matter you doom mongers say, I really enjoyed my day at Duxford today (so did the wife!). The displays were all enjoyable, even if the PdF were a little lacklustre BUT the C-47 pairs landing on the grass runway was absolutely epic! :rock: