RAF Cosford Air Show 2016 - [Official Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Andyperkins

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2016 - [Official Topic]

Post by Andyperkins »

kevinc wrote:Is the B-52 not coming now ?

Typhoon3 said it's closing the show.

kevinc

Post by kevinc »

Thank u

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

B52 restricted to 1000FT - doubt you'll see anything at that height with the cloud level!

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

They didn't. Oh dear.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

B-52 wasn't visible, made a single pass. :facepalm:

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

B-52 rained out! Oh dear.

Spock

Post by Spock »

Looks like B52 cancelled everyone now going looking at planes tv !

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

Well that was a bit of an anti climax. The Buff wasn't even visible. Very poor show this year. A lot of grumbles and moans everywhere as I'm walking back to the car.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:Well that was a bit of an anti climax. The Buff wasn't even visible. Very poor show this year. A lot of grumbles and moans everywhere as I'm walking back to the car.

Easily one of the worst Cosford events in recent memory.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Well I wasn't there and I didn't watch it so am illplaced to comment. I'm still going to though...

...it seems the Cosford team have been - in part - undone by a combination of bad luck, weather, a major show elsewhere in Europe on the same day and perhaps a disappointing show at their own event from the RAF.

What will be grossly unfair is if any vitriol (and it sounds like there will be some) is ignorantly directed at the airshow team, who will have done their best to put on the best show they could. I do hope UKAR members aim their criticisms constructively and in the right direction (ie away from the organisers) and give praise where it's due - it sounds like some of the displays were great. I unfortunately doubt the moaners on failbook etc will be as reasoned as those on here.
Last edited by CJS on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Wow. Only caught the last twenty minutes or so. Was the last voice Jonathan Ruffle?

His bewilderment and incompetence over the B-52 is quite possibly the worst piece of broadcasting since the invention of speech.

Paraphrasing: "Now we're really lucky. He's only cleared down to 1,000ft so we'll hear him not actually see him"

"Erm, that low rumble which couldn't possibly have been a B-52? That was him"

And this the guy RIAT consulted on their commentary changes... :lol:
Last edited by Dan O'Hagan on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Commentator was consistently terrible. A very poor choice with some spurious, random and downright stupid statements.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

CJS

Post by CJS »

Damn, now I kind of wish I had watched, it sounds pretty entertaining at least!
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

The commentary was, at times pure Mick Fleetwood & Sam Fox (if your too young to remember it, try you tube).

If this guy was employed by Cosford to do this then Cosford should take the blame.
However as mentioned earlier Cosford can't help cancellations, the weather or even a helicopter that refused to start, so we must cut them some slack.

What puzzles me is that there was no 'plan b' when things started to unravel.
I hope this doesn't taint Cosford as mud with the public definitely sticks, especially in this Facebook , Twitter rubbish, era, but k that my wishes will go unheeded by the paying public.

it's truly a shame, that they did their best only to end up with basically very little.

Maybe Cosford needs a rest, a new team, a rethink, plan b's, a new direction? Maybe
Got to love Russianhardware

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Facebook posts are mainly positivity so far but sure that will change later this evening when most are home and start to vent, seems the major problem was the weather and there is obviously absolutely nothing the organisers can do about that but sure a lot won't see it that way.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

In our own Peter Reoch, Cosford is in decent hands, but this year's lineup was wafer-thin, even without the cancellations. Whether that was budgetary, down to targeting the wrong acts or as a result of date clashes is unknown, but this was always set to be a disappointing show, with or without the weather.

Suspect plenty will vent, not least over the poison of all-ticket shows.

On the subject of Ruffle, has he ever commentated before? I thought he was Sean Maffett's partner with Airsound and producer? Certainly didn't sound like "on-air" was a natural home for him.

At least the show can only get better in 2017...
Last edited by Dan O'Hagan on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

The commentator was just pure bottom draw, the RAF Falcons were jumping from a Cessna Caravan and some Russain pilot defected in a MIG-26 for gods sake!

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Chris G wrote:The commentator was just pure bottom draw, the RAF Falcons were jumping from a Cessna Caravan and some Russain pilot defected in a MIG-26 for gods sake!

The 'spare tyre' for the Apache too. Utter garbage.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Unfortunately I agree thatvthe commentator was bad.

"And thats the last pass by the Mig-15...... Oh no, he's doing another.... That is definately him out of here and back to Bristol.... Oh no he's doing another pass"

"Well ladies and gentlemen we have some good news for you, your not going too be able to see the B-52 but you will hear it.. What a treat"

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

That last line is almost a verbatim quote. Incredibly patronising to an audience soaked through and bored.

Didn't hear Gareth Attridge or Peter Dickinson at all for the half hour I watched. Presumably they were better? Why weren't they working as a three-man team?
Last edited by Dan O'Hagan on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrewn

Post by andrewn »

Well i was there, unlike most of you posting negatively, and I enjoyed the show. Up until the point the weather closed in after 3'ish everything was going pretty smoothly and the Reds/kingair combo, Typhoon an appearance from A400 and C130, plus the MiG were worth the entry for me. Without the weather cancellations it would have been even better. Everyones entitled to an opinion but berating an event you never even went to is a bit strange!

Flannerz

Post by Flannerz »

Still sat in the "overflow" car park outside the base. Have been sat queuing to get out since 4 o clock and have currently moved about 20 yards...

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

andrewn wrote:Well i was there, unlike most of you posting negatively, and I enjoyed the show. Up until the point the weather closed in after 3'ish everything was going pretty smoothly and the Reds/kingair combo, Typhoon an appearance from A400M and C130, plus the MiG were worth the entry for me. Without the weather cancellations it would have been even better. Everyones entitled to an opinion but berating an event you never even went to is a bit strange!

With all due respect, it was streamed live. I didn't attend the Grand Prix today or any of the football matches held in France this summer, but from watching them I can form an opinion on what I saw/heard, as can everyone else watching.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

I won't be knocking the "air" show team, they were unlucky with the weather and the cancellations however as a whole the show was so badly organised it beggars belief.

Traffic management was the worst I have ever witnessed, being parked in the over flow car park, off Base and being told there was no parking on Base by an obvious liar.

The placement of the Fairey Delta and Avro 707 left much to be desired too.

I'm not going to grumble any more because it just isn't worth the effort.

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

It's the lack of information that annoys me, Cosford put on there Facebook that acts couldn't make it due to the weather. This information wasn't relayed through the commentary. As for the commentary at least get the planes names correct. That last comment about the B-52 made standing in the rain for an hour and a half all worth it :clap:

What happens to the fees due to be paid to display items that didn't turn up ?