Bray Air Display 23-24/07/16

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
DeanW

Bray Air Display 23-24/07/16

Post by DeanW »

Bray Air Display has moved to a two day event for this year and the line-up has seen a strong start..

Frecce Tricolori
SwAFHF Viggen
SwAFHF Draken
Red Arrows (Sun only)
Breitling Wingwalkers
Patrouille Tranchant

Hoping for some good IAC participation myself!

Irishaernut

Bray airshow Ireland July 23rd and 24th

Post by Irishaernut »

I have mentioned on this board before about this shoe but it has been a pale comparison to uk military airshows.
But last year and this year they have managed to get some interesting acts.
With patrouille Suisse last year they really impressed the crowd who haven't seen military jets since the Irish aer corps retired their super magisters.

Also Black knights parachute team.

So if you are looking for something different or want to see Ireland

Chris G

Re: Bray airshow Ireland July 23rd and 24th

Post by Chris G »

As it's the Republic of Ireland will they be using the latest CAA guidelines?

Hammerhead

Post by Hammerhead »

Here's the shows website http://brayairdisplay.com/wp/

And a photo posted showing the display line.... http://buff.ly/1T75owA

Seems 230 Meters will be the distance to the display line....

Niallxg

Re: Bray Air Display 23-24/07/16

Post by Niallxg »

As long as the wealther plays ball, it looks like it will be a great show.

I know where I'll be positioned :-) ImageVortexes by Swiss by Niall Grant, on Flickr

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Is that up at Bray Head? (I think that's what it's called?!). If so I'm planning a day up there and a day down on the seafront :icecream:

Niallxg

Post by Niallxg »

DeanW wrote:Is that up at Bray Head? (I think that's what it's called?!). If so I'm planning a day up there and a day down on the seafront :icecream:

It most certainly is - my towel will be in position from early :-)

Niall

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Chris G wrote:As it's the Republic of Ireland will they be using the latest CAA guidelines?

Hope not, I most likely have the get the Ferry to Holyhead to watch it from the Naughty Island if that happens but no doubt what happens in the UK most likely end up being taken on board here.

2 fast jets work the 3 hour trip from Cork I think, Cue the Rain.

I have not bothered going for a while now, Are the Swedish flying on both days, Cant tell from the website

cheers

George
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Heading down from NI to this, first time at Bray. Really looking forward to it.

A few other display teams in the Blades (Sunday) and Team Raven (both days) have been added as well as the Grace Spitfire (former Irish Air Corps 162) and the Irish Air Corps/Irish Historic Flight. Though this is confirmed on schedules, Bray themselves have not announced it in public yet. But it is known.

The display director did say a 'couple' of Spitfires, so possible for another one coming.

Chris G wrote:As it's the Republic of Ireland will they be using the latest CAA guidelines?

ROI is under IAA control, not CAA.

Hammerhead

Post by Hammerhead »

They have put up the list of displays for both days ..... http://brayairdisplay.com/wp/in-the-air-3/

G-BOAE

Post by G-BOAE »

Glad I checked this forum last night - I was just lining up flights to take my son over to see the Swedes on the Saturday. Having checked the flying list it seems they are only flying on the Sunday :sad:

Seems a crazy decision to me being as their schedule/wish list suggests they'll already be in Dublin, and that Sunday also the Red Arrows only display. I'm really hoping that this changes, and that flights over are still available - or failing that get them to RIAT or Farnborough!

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Full line up and it is looking very good, with 5 hours flying each day starting at 12pm both days.

Saturday

Frecce Tricolori
Patrouille Tranchant
Spitfire (Grace Spitfire) & Seafire (pairs display)
Trig Aerobatics
Cityjet SSJ
Irish Air Corps
Black Knights
Irish Historic Flight
Breitling Wingwalkers
Team RaVen
Irish Coast Guard S&R

Sunday

Red Arrows
Frecce Tricolori
Viggen & Draaken
Patrouille Tranchant
Spitfire/Seafire (pairs display)
Trig Aerobatics
Aer Lingus A321
Cityjet SSJ
Irish Air Corps
Black Knights
Irish parachute Team
Breitling Wingwalkers
Irish Historic Flight
Team RaVen
The Blades
Irish Coast Guard S&R

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

The IAC contingent is expected to at least include a four-ship of PC-9Ms, Black Knights parachute team and an appearance by the FR172.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

DeanW wrote:The IAC contingent is expected to at least include a four-ship of PC-9Ms, Black Knights parachute team and an appearance by the FR172.

The Holy Grail of near yet so far military rarities :worship: :worship:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:
DeanW wrote:The IAC contingent is expected to at least include a four-ship of PC-9Ms, Black Knights parachute team and an appearance by the FR172.

The Holy Grail of near yet so far military rarities :worship: :worship:

Indeed, possibly the rarest military aircraft in Western Europe... :grin:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Bray have confirmed the PC9 4 ship will be the 'headline act' of the IAC.

I hope they have the Green, White and Orange smoke though as I would love to see that.

I just wonder if we will get any 'special' formations like last years Swiss with Aer Lingus.

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

This is looking good , first visit of merlins and griffon engines and first proper noisey jets in the Viggen and Drakken.
I will be in a sea kayak for the Saturday and on the hill for Sunday.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

I thought it was a poor show overall with a lot of the displays fairly distant. The Swedish jets were the worst culprits - Viggen must have been 600m from the crowdline at its closest! Draken was only marginally closer, much to my disappointment.
The IAC PC-9 four-ship Eagle Flight were disappointing too. They flew a tame routine which started with a handful of formation passes before three aircraft disappeared leaving a single aircraft to display on its own - very strange for what was billed as a team. It was nice to see the 'Hawkeye' formation though, made up of three FR172s, although these ended up displaying in the poorest weather of the day.

Frecce, Reds and Spitfire/Seafire were decent but everything else was a bit 'meh'.

Did anyone else attend?

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Went to this on Sunday as the line up was pretty good however again came away from another airshow going why bother making the effort in going.

Some nice highlights during the day with the main one which drew me in was the Viggen which was displayed about 1 mile away from the shore, It looked like it was displaying for the Navy lads anchored out to sea. Despite have a 600mm lens there was no point in taking a pictures. (I don't go to take 3000 pictures I take one or 2 and tend to watch these days).

The Draken did make up for it with a somewhat closer display.

Other disappointments where again to slow flybys by Aer Lingus and the Cityjey Sukhoi, No dirty pass with all thing down, no variation.

Aer Corps were 4 ship PC-9 and 3 Ship 172 of which was nice to see, No Casa, No AW129 display.

Also the Coastguard a couple of low slow passes, No life boat demo, No chap hanging from the winch. No Variation.

The Irish Historic flight were also too far out and took the Same turn Radius as a B-52 to make there 2nd of 2 passes.

The French Fouga team were quite nice to watch with a nice polished routine and the Irish Flag was a nice touch to win over the crowd!!

Looking at the kids on the beach hardly anyone youngsters watched the solo acts and the distance made these great spectacles a non event and did not capture their attention , Even for the loud jets the were just busy chucking stones into the sea.

The only thing that did garner their attention and even my own kids were the Formation Team and Red and the Frecce.

I must however commend the Seafire and the Spitfire Pilots in their Energetic display, They clearly enjoyed what they were doing and even when asked to extend the routine out they more than happily agreed. Well done to those lads.

While I have to commend the organisers and the event is free but Personally I am coming away from Airshows now wondering if I will attend these anymore.

I hope the Aeron in the Kayak got some nice shots!! The sea was certainly the place to be.

Cheers

George
Cheers

George

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

I attended on the Sunday, and it was a well organised show on the ground (easy to travel from Dublin to Bray etc) but in the air...... My awards go in this order

Most audience grabbing: The Reds and Frecce (displaying close to land)

Most graceful: Tied between the Fouga Magister Team and the Spitfire/ Seafire pair (graceful displays in 95% clear skies)

Most pointless: The Viggen & Draken (If you'd have stood on Holyhead Mountain on Anglesey, you would have got closer photos)

Most interactive display: The multiple AW-139 take off and landings (cut grass blown everywhere!)

Slowest display: Tied between IAC Historic Flight, A321, Cityjet and Coastguard. (Their turning circle was wider and slower than a B-52)

Most misleading information: Being told in advance the airshow display started at 12:00 only to be told on the day the display started at 14:00

I have to admit that the weather on the Sunday was "varied" to say the least!

Tim Laurence

Post by Tim Laurence »

Really dissapointed with the Viggen and Draken. Every other item maintained course along the designated display line, why on earth they had to fly miles out to sea. I was up on Bray Head and the Frecce and Reds were fantastic. Shame about that fire, creating smoke all afternoon and no other aircraft coming close to the hill.

Tim
@timlaurencephotography

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Ok so, my thoughts on the weekend.

Saturday

Firstly yes, it was very misleading time wise. Every time they were asked they said 12pm start. Multiple people pointed out that one post said 12pm others said 2pm but they always said 12pm start.

Saturday display line was horrible at the start. French may have displayed in Wales it was that far out.

Not quite sure, but apparently Frecce was cut short on Saturday. A few have said they heard 'Stop' come over radio during their display. There were a good few stray balloons in the skies throughout Saturday.

Cityjet SSJ100 was not overly impressive. 2 passes and away. Same with Irish Historic Flight.

IAC Coast guard was a good display. I enjoyed it.

Spitfire/Seafire stole the show for me. One major annoyance though. Announcer said he would not say a word during the display so we could all soak in the Merlin's noise... then didn't shut up once during it.

Trig was decent, but nothing on Rich Goodwin & Lauren Richardson in the Pitts.

Wingwalkers were enjoyable. Loved the noise of those Boeing Stearman aircraft.

IAC involvement was good, but short. Solo PC9 stall was good to see. Sadly no colored smoke.

Parachute teams... well, they jumped and landed. Not much else to say on that.

Raven's put on a fantastic display in their first 6 ship. Lighting was fantastic for photos during their display. Big improvement on Newcastle 2015 Raven display.

Overall a good day, but probably falsely advertised as an airshow, more a practice day. Most displays were only half of what they normally are.

Sunday

No parachute teams, Ravens or Blades. Blades stuck in England with weather, Ravens the same maybe? and Parachute teams I would think was due to the idiots who lit the fire, then threw alcohol over it.

Red Arrows put on a fantastic display. I think we take for granted seeing the Reds these day as we see so much of them and it can almost become boring (I'm in NI). But the Irish crowds loved them, cheering, gasping, and clapping at every move. Best RA display I have seen in a very long time. Looked like they were having fun with no CAA shackles. Only negitive is the RA's new entrance. I don't like the wall formation when running in. I preferred 'Big Battle' with full coloured smoke. Very close to the crowd display too. 10/10

IAC S92 again was a nice display, but no S&R. Nice little wiggle goodbye and close low passes. Tiny hint of the S92 bowing to the crowd for s split second putting the nose down. However was a side on move, not facing crowd. I found myself taking lots of pictures, then saying after... why? I see the S92 at least once a week!!

IAC again decent display but short. Always enjoyed the PC9s.

Trigs - Again good, better display on Sunday but still nothing special. Like the Reds I heard a good few screams and gasps.. I was wondering why, until I realized I was in front of the fun fair and people on the rides were screaming.

French - Sunday was a great display with full smoke including the Irish flag colours. Very close and a lovely sound from the aircraft that I struggled to hear the day before.

Cityjet SSJ/Aer Lingus A321 - Not much to say. 2 passes and gone for both. A321 slow pass then throttle up was a nice sound but nothing special.

Wingwalkers - again a good display. Crowd seemed to love them. Where I was on Saturday seemed better for photographing them though.

Spitfire/Seafire - Again, the display of the day for me. Complaints they flew for too long. I just loved sitting back and listening to and watching them. Seemed they were really having fun on the Sunday.

Viggen - Biggest disappointment of the weekend. Further out than the French on Saturday. Nothing but loops and away. Announcer said listen to the noise. Give me the Typhoon or Tornado with a swept wing pass any day. Nothing special at all.

Drakken - A lot better than the Viggen, still a bit far out but put on a far better display.

Reds 10 ship flypast - Always enjoy the Reds in 10 ship formation. Don't see why they could not have done formation with Frecce, they did the flypast just a few minutes before Frecce entered for their display.

Frecce - I was a bit sneaky here. I went to the train station after the Reds flypast and got in quickly, as I was on the platform and no more queues I climbed the bridge and watched until the next train pulled in, then sat on the train watching as it went up the coast. Lots of low and close passes. Great display, I've seen aircraft stall before, but never a jet display stall. That was impressive. Far better display than Saturday.

Overall a good weekend, don't quite think it lived up to the hype but a good experience. Will take something special to get me down next year though..

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

True Jason,

Tough two days there bud!!!

I love the Natives here when they see the Reds. The, Gasps, oohs and Ahs are great, you don't get that in seasoned airshow watchers in the UK.

Not sure where the underlying fault is here regarding the way the displays are going but as a spectacle I was left wondering about my and my family's future attendance at Airshows at all. The was practically no wow for any of us as some have said no 'Awesome' Factor

I enjoyed the Viggen a Porthrush last year up on Ramone head but Sundays Bray effort was just pure lame. I am glad I did not pay to attend that show.
Cheers

George