1646 Wingwalkers
1702 Bronco
1712 Autogyro
1721 DH Comet

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Sunday Display Schedule

Post by UKTopgun »

Even thinner list than Sat. Only Farnborough lists take off as an event on the schedule, blatant padding. Even the Reds crossing runway gets mention like it is a highlight!

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

UKTopgun wrote:Even thinner list than Sat. Only Farnborough lists take off as an event on the schedule, blatant padding. Even the Reds crossing runway gets mention like it is a highlight!

People love the Reds!! :dunno: why does it bother you ?

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

UKTopgun wrote:Even the Reds crossing runway gets mention like it is a highlight!

Yep...they must be copying the Patrouille Suisse runway display from RIAT :lol:...........it's the future !

frank

Post by frank »

Paul thank you for taking the time to post the schedules over the past 3 days, much appreciated. :smile:

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

UKTopgun wrote:Even thinner list than Sat. Only Farnborough lists take off as an event on the schedule, blatant padding. Even the Reds crossing runway gets mention like it is a highlight!

Less a £50 airshow, more a dustbin for every filler act they could lay their hands on.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

frank wrote:Paul thank you for taking the time to post the schedules over the past 3 days, much appreciated. :smile:

Thank you Frank, my pleasure, just passing info on if I find it :cuppa:

raptor72

Post by raptor72 »

Absolutely disgusting that an airshow this prestigious should be treated this way,most definitely not a £40 show. As mentioned earlier the highlight of the Red Arrows display was the start up & taxi across the runway!! SHOCKING. OK the flypast was nice but it must have been possible to have some passes in various formations at least. My son & wife where left a bit disappointed, I've seen them loads but they were looking forward to it. 3 fast jets mmm not good for a cutting edge world famous airshow, at 1 point I thought it was the Red Bull air race. The few jets that did go up did seem closer than i thought they were going to be. The west end of the show reminded me of Dunsfold, as for the disgusting tent that challenges youngsters to throw a knife and fire a cross bow I think that was not needed. The main area to the east had some nice bits in it but as mentioned elsewhere positioned badly for the public days,all laid up for trade day compounds where the selling goes on. It's a shame the show can't hold on to all the gear that turns up as having the 124,747 & brand new Embraer that flew out just as i got down the front would have been nice. What was the F35 doing hovering down the east end of the show when crowd centre was where the grandstand was positioned!!! A lot of not happy people i can tell you. So all in all the highlight of the show the Reds taxi across the runway & flying legends practice for next year. Oh & the red bull air race!!! I think the RIAT team need to take control of the show.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

that line up pretty much sums up why i didnt go. It's a nice line up at any other show but farnborough should be finding the new kit. sadly those days are over

raptor72

Post by raptor72 »

Wouldn't be so bad if £20 & advertised as Farnborough Airfair. Don't get me wrong the 727,An178,P8 & Airbus demo was good to see but it was too few highlights for £40. 30 or so minutes of Red Arrows display missing plus Raf Typhoon missing Evan a Merlin or Chinook demo. I'm also concerned that future airshows will get worse due to the land to the north west of the airfield being redeveloped,this being the old research area that I'm not totally sure is going to happen to. It was only because of this land that much of the flying was able to be done, development of this site for housing or otherwise would make fast jet demos impossible under the new knee jurk regs.

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

To be fair with the cooking instructions they had to work with they baked up a half decent cake

DanH

Post by DanH »

skidd40 wrote:To be fair with the cooking instructions they had to work with they baked up a half decent cake

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you there. To borrow your cooking analogy, over the years Farnborough has built a reputation of serving up quality dishes, made from the finest and indeed newest ingredients, which justified the prices they were charging for it. In recent years, however, the quality has dropped to the extent that some of the acts are the aviation equivalent of bread and butter - acts you would likely see and enjoy at any free seaside show. I am not trying to be rude about these acts, but I don't think it would be unfair to say that they are not the type of thing Farnborough has built its reputation on. Added to that the fact that many acts are restricted to single flypasts, which by the way just seemed utterly embarrassing, and the fact that they are still charging the same astronomical money whilst claiming to be the best! Farnborough is made out by the organisers to be like a Michelin quality prime cut of steak, but they're serving us a Tesco Value microwavable tikka masala, whilst waving the steak under our noses and telling us we can smell it but we can't eat it, but still have to pay for it. Added to that the appalling traffic management and car parking, and the over the top security situation and you have a recipe for a pretty crap day out. I appreciate that some of the problems this year have been beyond the organisers control, but those wouldn't have seemed quite so bad if they had corrected things that have been problems in previous years, but they simply haven't. From now on I will be voting with my feet, as I'm sure will many others.
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

Ah, bread and butter pudding, but this FIA was not up to that standard.

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Another show over, highlights for me were the an178, emb390, SAAB, Hornet, 727 and the other big jets, plus we got the Apache role demo, the Granby tonka and a rather nice USAF C130...i got bored with the F35 displays during the first week of the show before RIat, think I will wait for the aircraft to develop a proper display.
Would I go again, most def, as enjoyed every moment of it except the rain On Monday :question:
Over the 2 weeks of the show there were 540 different aircraft and 1200 movements ...
:biggrin:

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

No-one who paid for a ticket can complain. It was clear to anyone who has a clue about airshows that Farnborough was to be avoided. Dreadful participation was no secret, one only had to read these pages.

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

But your talking about aircraft enthusiasts Dan, these are the people
Who Moan if a special schemed RAF jet doesnt turn up, are critical if the same c/n turns up at a show for two years running. Farnborough is aimed at joe bloggs, the type of people who would have no idea what aircraft is what, social Media tonight is full Of people who are saying they enjoyed the show, these are the sort of people who will return year after year for their bi annual show. They care not what the anoraked, note pad, big lense totting geek says.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

One thing that both enthusiasts and Joe Public seem to agree on is that there was no reason for the Red Arrows not to display. The difference between enthusiasts and public seems to be that the public think it was the Arrows themselves who lost their nerve, whereas we all know the LMF is at a higher level altogether.

Its all very well for the safety "experts" to say their risk assessment ruled it out, but everybody (and this very definitely includes the public) knows better because they have had fifty years experience of seeing the Red Arrows displaying safely at Farnborough. What is needed is some new safety experts and some senior officers with moral courage.

I paid nothing towards FIA this year and even so I consider it poor value for money.

John

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Yet after reading and replying to the various threads on here over the last months about how bad it was going to be you still went !

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
I paid nothing towards FIA this year and even so I consider it poor value for money.

How on earth does that make any sense?

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

DerekF wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:

How on earth does that make any sense?

I think, Derek, he may be being drily humourous.

Or saying he's glad he wasn't daft enough to pay for it.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

It does seem like most of those who actually went thought is was OK whereas those who didn't go thought it was rubbish. I think I'm starting to see a pattern here.

If you didn't go on any day then I'm afraid your opinion on the air show is not worth a great deal.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

DerekF wrote:It does seem like most of those who actually went thought is was OK whereas those who didn't go thought it was rubbish. I think I'm starting to see a pattern here.

If you didn't go on any day then I'm afraid your opinion on the air show is not worth a great deal.

It was streamed live online. Better tell people who watch televised sport that they're not allowed to opine on the match then...

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

But like i said before there is a lot more to Farnborough than just the airshow. I saw someone complaining the other day about the drones being displayed at the show, they obviosly dont understand what Farnborough is all about if that is the case. Personally I found the robotic bird of prey very interesting

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
DerekF wrote:It does seem like most of those who actually went thought is was OK whereas those who didn't go thought it was rubbish. I think I'm starting to see a pattern here.

It was streamed live online. Better tell people who watch televised sport that they're not allowed to opine on the match then...

That would be true if the only aspect of an air show was the flying display. Watching a live stream gives no clue as to everthing else that goes towards a good day out;- traffic, catering, toilets, security, weather, static display, opportunities for photography etc.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Rampvan wrote:Yet after reading and replying to the various threads on here over the last months about how bad it was going to be you still went !

Yes, ever the optimist.... but I was annoyed at not being able to alternate between the playing fields and Miles Hill, the latter of which is probably less dangerous during the show when most traffic turns off than during normal ops when everything comes over there.

I enjoyed the heavies, especially the 727 on Saturday when it managed to find some sunshine. The F18F was as good as ever (but I'd have liked to see more of the E): the Typhoon was a bit tame but it was weighed down with several tons of concrete! The F35 actually came reasonably close in its Jaguar clone display and was quite enjoyable. Other than that it was definitely thin and the views from the field were not up to scratch.

Over the course of validation week and show week I saw Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Red Kite and Peregrine from the playing fields. Now that was an air show!

John