Eastbourne

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Re: Eastbourne

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

frank wrote:
Jakub.Zurek wrote:
J.C Photography wrote:Thinking of going Eastbourne on the Sunday. Where's a better place to be: Beachy Head or down on the main beach?

It depends on whether you want to watch the aircraft display in front of you, or whether you are after photos of the aircraft with the sea as the background from Beachy Head.

Just to build on that question. I am tempted by the Vampires/ Mig15/ Sea Vixen displays. What is the photography like on the main beach. I use a canon 100-400mm lens. I know it wont give me a full frame but just how has it been in the past. Also doesn't the sun backlight the displays all day ?
Many thanks for any replies or links to photos of previous airshows.
Frank

Yep as has been said not all aircraft will get close to Beachy Head. The aircraft only fly by Beachy Head to enter/exit the display, as the display takes place parallel to the beach much further down.

You will be able to see the display in the distance, but photographically it's pointless. So you have to decide whether you want photos with the sea as the backdrop, (and the chance that some aircraft might not pass by Beachy Head) or whether you want to watch the full display from the beach. I will definitely be at Beachy Head since I'll see (or have seen) most of the aircraft display elsewhere and the sea as the backdrop is the unique selling point.

Or as has been said in the previous post, you can compromise and be between Beachy Head and the beach although I haven't tried this myself.

frank

Post by frank »

pompeydave wrote:Not all of the aircraft will fly round Beachy Head. I think a few missed out last year on the Vampires and Mig as it didn't really go close enough to Beachy.
You get a decent view on the beach but a better one further to the right where the little green is as its slightly raised. You should be fine with the lens you have. Wouldn't worry too much about the sun , it is August! :-)

Thanks for reply - I had a look at Google maps, is the little green called Wishtower slopes. TIA

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

There is quite a bit of footage of Airbourne from Beachy Head on Youtube, which will give you an idea of the location. Otherwise have a search of the Airshow Pictures section on this forum for past Airbournes, there are some great images from Beachy Head.

The sun does backlight the flying at the start of the display and then moves round to the side by display end. Not so much of a problem though at Beachy Head, as much of the time your camera will be pointing down rather than up. But, as has been said, it is hit and miss as to what comes around the headland, much depends on their departure airfield location and other air traffic conflicts.

Frank. I think the green referred to is Helen Gardens, which is further west than wishtower slopes and the western lawns. The further west you go, the more elevated you are. Another alternative is South Cliff Road, which is immediately behind the seafront road but is quite a bit higher. There is a high block of flats on South Cliff Road which you can see from anywhere around, to show you where to head for. This is not too far from Helen Gardens as well.
FWIW my advice is go to Beachy Head, if you find some past images, the location will sell itself to you. Ideally you could do with more than one day.

Big_Gareth

Post by Big_Gareth »

I did the beach one day last year and Beachy Head another. Much preferred Beachy, as I hated shooting into the sun all day from the beach and my shots were poor from there. I much preferred the photographic opportunities from higher up but as others have warned you will be limited to just a few of the aircraft.

pompeydave

Post by pompeydave »

Yep , Wishtower , couldn't remember what it was called. Quite convenient for food and toilets too!

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

Does anyone know if the Typhoon will be stationed at Biggin Hill for Eastbourne?

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

No Chinook at the show this year (or, for that matter, anywhere else):

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/AirbourneEastbourne/photos/a.421946873428.199584.175773028428/10154134199953429/?type=3&theater[/fb-post]

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Just been confirmed rail strike is on for Thursday and Friday so chaos on the roads into town,should be normal service for the weekend but who knows.
I believe no direct link from London during strike service and you have to go via Brighton
Best to check Southern rail web page for service details Thursday and Friday.
Looking at train times nothing runs out of Eastbourne to the Brighton direction after 1810 on Thursday and Friday so worth bearing that in mind as buses and roads out of town will be bad.

John in Seaford

pompeydave

Post by pompeydave »

I guess I may try thumbing a lift from Portsmouth :sad:

Tony Sharp

Post by Tony Sharp »

Does anyone have timings for Eastbourne displays yet? (In particular Sat/Sunday)

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Best to look on National Rail journey planner if you are coming in by train as even at the weekend trains have been disrupted.
Last train out of Eastbourne westbound thurs and Fri looks like 1810

John in Seaford

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

This might help with flying details

http://www.eastbourneairshow.com/Flying-Lineup.aspx

John in Seaford

Tony Sharp

Post by Tony Sharp »

Thanks John, looks like things kick off from 12:30-13:00? Strange that the Reds are at Eastbourne Friday & Saturday but only Herne Bay Sunday (will still try and get to 'bourne)

REACHFORTHESKY9

Post by REACHFORTHESKY9 »

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Just joined this site and forum to find out more info on Eastbourne 2016. I am staying on the CL Campsite at Beachy Head and was wondering if any one had any tips on the best spot to view from as I hear the flight line has changed from previous years. This is my first visit to Eastbourne so don't have anything to compare it with. Any advice most welcome - Many thanks - Mark

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Hi Mark
Bit of a unknown this year as nobody really knows how display will be this year following Shoreham.
Always a bit hit and miss as to how close stuff comes to the Head anyway.
Would imagine most will come along from Shoreham so could be close to the cliffs.
Would think anything display flying close to the head this year will not be allowed.
Best to have a look at graphs posted for Thursday and Friday will give some idea as the better days looking at listings are Saturday and Sunday.
As to where to stand get as close as you can to the slopes that partly overlook the light house and the town.

John in Seaford

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

REACHFORTHESKY9 wrote:Hi Ladies and Gents,

Just joined this site and forum to find out more info on Eastbourne 2016. I am staying on the CL Campsite at Beachy Head and was wondering if any one had any tips on the best spot to view from as I hear the flight line has changed from previous years. This is my first visit to Eastbourne so don't have anything to compare it with. Any advice most welcome - Many thanks - Mark

From the car park next to the pub up on Beachy Head (BN20 7YA), cross over the road and turn right on to the concrete path. Follow that the short distance until it ends with a knee high wooden fence and you will come to the slopes where the photographers gather.
There is plenty of room to pick a spot to watch from. If it's windy, which it normally is, have a walk around to find a spot that is not too exposed to it. The general public tend to gather on the flatter grass opposite the pub car park.
Stay safe up there.

REACHFORTHESKY9

Post by REACHFORTHESKY9 »

Many thanks for the tips most appreciated.

197cup

Post by 197cup »

Do the car parks fill up very fast up at beachy head?

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

Strange that this seems to have a better line up than Eastbourne and Bournemouth! Hard work of the event organisers no doubt. I'll be cycling from Reculver/Whitstable- is parking good at these locations?

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

mafro987daboss wrote:Strange that this seems to have a better line up than Eastbourne and Bournemouth! Hard work of the event organisers no doubt. I'll be cycling from Reculver/Whitstable- is parking good at these locations?

Hope you're fit !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

aceyone wrote:
mafro987daboss wrote:Strange that this seems to have a better line up than Eastbourne and Bournemouth! Hard work of the event organisers no doubt. I'll be cycling from Reculver/Whitstable- is parking good at these locations?

Hope you're fit !

It's doable if you're Chris Froome I tell you! (Well not on the Olympics' evidence...)

CalumG

Post by CalumG »

Last minute addition to today's line-up is a RAF Puma flypast. This will open the show at 2:30pm :smile:

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

I think marfo means Herne Bay as the same message is on that page.
Anyone know what will come along from Shoreham this year?,presume the Sea Vixen will come from Yeovilton unless it is at Biggin or Brize as it is doing Herne Bay as well.

John in Seaford

Steve888

Post by Steve888 »

Anyone at Eastbourne today know what time the BBMF are due to display? I'm trying to catch them on transit, but don't know what sort of time to head out.

Thanks

st24

Post by st24 »

Steve888 wrote:Anyone at Eastbourne today know what time the BBMF are due to display? I'm trying to catch them on transit, but don't know what sort of time to head out.

Thanks

Twitter feed is saying they're not transiting today due to wx? Then again we all know how crap and unreliable they are. Wasters.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!