Jaguar Nightshoot

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
AndyXH558

Jaguar Nightshoot

Post by AndyXH558 »

As Peter reported before about the event for the final days of the Jaguars at Cosford which is still being finalised.

In the meantime.. timeline has annunced their own nightshoot at Cosford. will cost you £65.
http://www.timelineevents.org/product.php/265/the-jaguars-come-out-at-night-an-evening-with-the-raf-jaguars-at-raf-cosford-26th-october-2016

Again pricing themselves out of the normal nightshoot punters price range. This is now getting ridiculous.

I would like to know your opinions on which stared out as a bit of fun, banter and some good pics, taken being taken over and over pricing the most of us out of what we enjoyed.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

lozza

Re: jaguar nightshoot.

Post by lozza »

Just sheer greed as per usual.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

As long as there are sufficient more-money-than-sense fools who shovel their money to the likes of Timeline, the high prices will persist.

Interested to know how the MoD can justify taxpayer-funded assets being used like this. "Profits" to the RAFBF doesn't wash with me. Who's to say where the organisers expenses end and "profit" starts?

£65 is obscene. Supporting these events only encourages higher prices.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Rip off Britain...
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

st24

Post by st24 »

Daylight robbery for sure but slightly better value than £48 to shoot a half finished Wellington in a hangar.. :shock: :dizzy:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Christ almighty!

We're charging £40 for 10 aircraft in October, and that's solely to cover fuel costs for visiting aircraft!

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

st24 wrote:Daylight robbery for sure but slightly better value than £48 to shoot a half finished Wellington in a hangar.. :shock: :dizzy:

Perhaps daylight is the wrong word... :grin:

More nonsense night extortion. No doubt the usual suspects will defend it to the hills.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Look at Northolt. Usually £20 - £ 30.

I'm amazed he's back at Wellesbourne. From what someone told me who was there, I thought he wasn't welcome back..

I did go to one of his events and was very disappointed and gave him constructive criticism.. He sent me a message back saying. Perhaps night shoots aren't for me.

Definitely not.. Well I've only been doing them since 2007. So no they aren't for me :whistle:

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Slappywag wrote:
st24 wrote:Daylight robbery for sure but slightly better value than £48 to shoot a half finished Wellington in a hangar.. :shock: :dizzy:

Perhaps daylight is the wrong word... :grin: .

...beat me to it!
Unfortunately it will just continue until people see sense and stop paying silly money for these events. They are feeding off the success of the longer established nightshoots and as Dan says while they can get away with it the rip offs will continue.

The problem is that we have all seen a few exceptional photos from nightshoots and think 'yes for a bit of a cash lay-out, I could do that' and so more and more have a go with lots of similar, good but not outstanding results. I haven't succumbed yet and don't intend to as I do feel there is a degree of profiteering going on.

Hampshire aviation's comment was quite interesting rer the cost of covering the fuel for the visitors but these aircraft are already there so no cost to get there apart from fuel for a tug and maybe a bit of extra lighting (I don't know what lighting is like at cosford).

I would rather just give a bit to the RAFBF and know it is getting to the right place rather than hope that a bit of my £65 will reach them while the rest goes elsewhere.
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

AndyXH558

Re: Jaguar Nightshoot

Post by AndyXH558 »

I can assure you that the gazelle night shoot is a great one and really worth doing. and the cakes good too.

So is the Northolt one, will continue to support both as long as they run for. Great people. Good banter and always something different.

I did one of the East Kirkby night shoots before he did them and that's where I got the pic that was in flypast. The price for the shoot was £25. We had reenactors in that, we even had all the vehicles in it. The difference between his one and their own. The people involved looked the right age for a bombing mission and not 70,

Dan is right we have to vote with our feet on this. Nor pay the money. Maybe sense will prevail... Won't hold my breath though.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Oh and who is going to pay the wages of the guys at Cosford for this private event.

The event that Peter described is going to be amazing. I can't wait for that. Probably the last time we will see jags live.

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

andygolfer wrote:The problem is that we have all seen a few exceptional photos from nightshoots and think 'yes for a bit of a cash lay-out, I could do that' and so more and more have a go with lots of similar, good but not outstanding results. I haven't succumbed yet and don't intend to as I do feel there is a degree of profiteering going on.

Of course there has to be profit in it, would you do your job for free? They also raise money for the museums. As for the exceptional photos it's what the photographer can make of the evening, or for £65 do you want Neil to personally set your camera up for you! With the TLE shoots I have requested certain things and where possible they have been accommodated, along with working with some of the re enactors away from the main group.

Speaking from experience I always come away a lot happier from a TLE shoot that any of the others I've been to. It's always nice to have the period re enactors and proper lighting, along with unhindered access to the subject machines,when compared to say the Northolt shoots which IMO are not on the same level - Only half of what is booked turns up, far too many people and you're always jostling for position, but then they are half the price (no offence to Phil there, you do a good job organising them and it's nice to break up the off season)

But you pays yer money, you make your choice. Some of these opportunities are quite that, exclusive and I dare say without TLE organising them they simply wouldn't be there, unless you're prepared to start organising them or creating the opportunity yourself of course.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

hmeasures wrote:unless you're prepared to start organising them or creating the opportunity yourself of course.

Yep, done that, with proper lighting, and not for £60+! As I said, we're charging £40 this time - 10 aircraft, lots from off-site, so we need to cover fuel costs.

Oh, and no, we don't run it for a profit. Amazing, eh? ;)

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:
hmeasures wrote:unless you're prepared to start organising them or creating the opportunity yourself of course.

Yep, done that, with proper lighting, and not for £60+! As I said, we're charging £40 this time - 10 aircraft, lots from off-site, so we need to cover fuel costs.

Oh, and no, we don't run it for a profit. Amazing, eh? ;)

Still more than most airshows :clap:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

AndyXH558 wrote:The event that Peter described is going to be amazing. I can't wait for that. Probably the last time we will see jags live.

The Spotters Day currently being organised by 238 Squadron WILL the last time you seen live Royal Air Force Jaguars, they will shut down for the final ever time on Wednesday 31st August.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Harry the simple fact is most of the events existed BEFORE timeline existed. Accommodating.. Were you at the same event as me... No i don't think you were. There were many complaints about his positioning of the lighting. Obtrusive actors.. I could go on.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

Not going to get drawn into this debate, mainly because I'm off out for the day, bht I can't see a complete non-truth go by unanswered. Andy, you know as well as I do that many of he opportunities never exhausted before TLE - Hangar 11, Stow Maries, Brooklands Wellington, Brooklands Concorde, Cosford Jaguars all never existed before TLE. Not sure about the Halifax, Brunty or Wellesbourne but regardless that is a long list of original and unique opportunities.

Cue a lambasting from Globe and Slappyhappy for merely pointing out a fact...

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Sorry Huw, why would I "lambast" you for that? I've said absolutely nothing about whether events existed before, or during, Cave's exploits. I merely pointed out some costing figures from someone who is actually organising such an event, in response to Harry's comment about people commenting about pricing that have never organised such an event!?

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Harry you criticise Northolt. well. Where would you see
Security civille trackers
Sea kings
Chinnooks
French air force alpha jets, cougars, squirrels, xingus
Polish af Britain
Irish af coast guard aircraft, aw139
Navy hawk
Merlin
King air
Jetstream
Tornadoes.. OK Coningsby and Marham
Brazilian af Lear jet
USAF citation
Dutch f100
Bronco
Apache
Griffin

All running at night. Yes it's not worth it. As it is with operational military aircraft. Some times they cancel. Many times we've seen aircraft that are about to leave service. So you won't see them again.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Well I actually did night shoot hangar 11s spitfire before he did it along with a hurricane, sky raider, strike master, and venom. OK not night shot a mustang. But this event was a lot less than caves events.

I'm talking about the price of his events not that they have not happened before.

Halifax was done before.

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

HuwJHopkins wrote:Not going to get drawn into this debate, mainly because I'm off out for the day, bht I can't see a complete non-truth go by unanswered. Andy, you know as well as I do that many of he opportunities never exhausted before TLE - Hangar 11, Stow Maries, Brooklands Wellington, Brooklands Concorde, Cosford Jaguars all never existed before TLE. Not sure about the Halifax, Brunty or Wellesbourne but regardless that is a long list of original and unique opportunities.

Cue a lambasting from Globe and Slappyhappy for merely pointing out a fact...

At night. For a small fortune. Everything that's wrong these days.

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

AndyXH558 wrote:Harry you criticise Northolt. well. Where would you see
Security civille trackers
Sea kings
Chinnooks
French air force alpha jets, cougars, squirrels, xingus
Polish af Britain
Irish af coast guard aircraft, aw139
Navy hawk
Merlin
King air
Jetstream
Tornadoes.. OK Coningsby and Marham
Brazilian af Lear jet
USAF citation
Dutch f100
Bronco
Apache
Griffin

All running at night. Yes it's not worth it. As it is with operational military aircraft. Some times they cancel. Many times we've seen aircraft that are about to leave service. So you won't see them again.

Not once did I knock Northolt for what turns up (or not :grin: ). I said that it is a very, very busy shoot now (with the car park now in the background for photos). It's a totally different kettle of fish IMO. It's funny, you defend Northolt for offering unique opportunities but slate TLE for doing the same...

And I don't know if we went to the same TLE shoot but what I said in my earlier post are my observations from the 4 shoots I've done with TLE.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

AndyXH558 wrote: Where would you see
Brazilian af Lear jet
USAF citation

Did I miss something with the first one and yes where would you see the second?

You missed the Swedish Sabreliner by the way, far better than Navy Hawks, Jetstreams or Chinooks! :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Bugger I knew I forgot something.

And harry
[quote] when compared to say the Northolt shoots which IMO are not on the same level - Only half of what is booked turns up, far too many people and you're always jostling for position, but then they are half the price (no offence to Phil there, you do a good job organising them and it's nice to break up the off season)[/quote ]
So running current military aircraft under floodlights isn't in the same level. hmmmmm.

I'm sure you have enjoyed the events but Northolt has been doing this since 2009, they are beyond that level. I don't want reenactors in my shots. A pilot who flies the aircraft is fine.
Last edited by AndyXH558 on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

AndyXH558 wrote:Bugger I knew I forgot some :lol:

Harry I'm not paying £ 70 for Northolt though.

Me neither :smile: