Seven years ago .... Victor flying !

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
keithnewsome

Seven years ago .... Victor flying !

Post by keithnewsome »

Yes it's seven years ago, how time fly's, At the time I was asked not to show these photos for many many reasons ! As the dust has settled now .... low quality photos of an event !!

Keith :smile:

XM715.

Last edited by keithnewsome on Sat 20 Aug 2016, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lynothehammer

Re: Seven years ago .... Victor !

Post by lynothehammer »

Sweeeeet ! :rock:

Timc

Post by Timc »

Super shots Keith!

Remember it well and yes hard to believe it was 7 years ago!

I'm sure I read somewhere that the pilot did momentarily think about doing a "go-around" but due to the lack of fuel decided to quickly plonk the old girl down?

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

I never realised it got quite so far off the ground! :shock:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

So close to being a total disaster. I remember thinking at the time that letting such a thing happen suggested a total lack of preparation.

Why have take-off flap set, why let it go so fast, if the wind was so important, knoock a few knots of the speed, set a bit of nose down trim to stop it auto-rotating - all simple stuff. The pilot said that the copilot froze and didn't close the throttles - why didn't he close the throttles himself?

It made me wonder at the time whether it was deliberate.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: Seven years ago .... Victor flying !

Post by Tommy »

Presumably lessons learned from it - it hasn't happened since?

Regardless of the whys, hows et al, that it was all resolved harmlessly and investigated fully, this post is pretty cool! :up: :up:

gralee

Post by gralee »

I've no idea what the history of this is, but judging by the comments it's rather intriguing to say the least :smile:

Super looking aircraft whatever it is :dunno:

neilos

Post by neilos »

Crikey, didn't realise it got off that high! :shock:

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

redbearing

Post by redbearing »

Fabulous photos, yes i didnt think it was that high also, Agree with Derek F it could have been a disaster, but the first rule is " if you have a situation fly the aircraft then sort everything " which he did! :clap: :clap:

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

As an ex-Tanker guy (55), it's great to see the old girl in the air; however, kudos for avoiding a potentially more serious incident...
Canon systems

keithnewsome

Post by keithnewsome »

Thank you all for those nice comments ..... So a few more from the day 'Bob did the Job' and so well !!!!

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

A concise capture of what I'm sure was a memorable occasion! Haven't seen any images of it on the grass before so thanks for sharing these.

keithnewsome

Post by keithnewsome »

WG655 ! Thank you ! Not many people were at that spot !!!!!!

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Well done for pressing the shutter, not knowing what the outcome would be knowing it was meant to be on the ground would certainly be a brown pants, stop what you're doing moment.
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Just as well you weren't on the other side of the runway! There is no doubt the pilot did a great job getting it back on the ground but he should never have let it happen in the first place.

As a matter of interest why did they not want the images published? They're good shots so why not put them up?

keithnewsome

Post by keithnewsome »

Glad you said that Maisie .... Look back at the third and fourth photos from my first post ..... a huge load of aircraft heading straight for me through a 300mm lens was a little frightening ...... ?

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Particularly as the video has been on You Tube for seven years.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

keithnewsome

Post by keithnewsome »

DerekF .... I was in a position, which I possibly should not have been in, and posting these photos at the time would have possibly raised questions about 'health and safety' etc with the CAA enquiry at the time ??

Last edited by keithnewsome on Tue 23 Aug 2016, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJ17

Post by DJ17 »

Well captured!

keithnewsome

Post by keithnewsome »

Thank you DJ17 ! It has been very difficult sitting on these photos for so long .... mmmmm .... knowing they are somewhat unique ....

keithnewsome

Post by keithnewsome »

I see from a few of 'today's event' photos, online, that the drogue chute was deployed very early in the run.... I assume this was to avoid this happening again ????

ChopsyOpsy

Post by ChopsyOpsy »

Supposing it had enough fuel, I wonder if the frame, engines would have had it in them to fly a circuit?

Not sure how long had passed between its final flight and its final final flight that day but I'm not sure an in depth airframe inspection would have taken place to the same extent as her service days.

Post by 106500 »

DerekF wrote:Just as well you weren't on the other side of the runway! There is no doubt the pilot did a great job getting it back on the ground but he should never have let it happen in the first place.

As a matter of interest why did they not want the images published? They're good shots so why not put them up?

What?! you are joking - the pilot (Bob Prothero) at the time went to great lengths to explain what happened. I suggest you research this before jumping to such statements.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Yes, I saw the explanatory video and while it didn't appear very "gallant" to blame the co-pilot, as captain what happened was Bob Protheroe's responsibility, there were things they could have done to stop such an event happening. I've been involved in qute a few accel-stop tests in the past and while on some it didn't matter if the aircraft became airborme, on others it would have been catastrophic. In the latter cases we took measures to to ensure that the aircraft wouldn't beome airborne accidentally. Not setting take-off flaps, setting the elevator trim nose-down, using reduced thrust and setting strict control over the maximum speeds, well short of the scheduled VR, all of these would have stopped the aircraft becoming airborne - if that's actually what they wanted of course.