Dan213

Re: Exercise Ample Strike

Post by Dan213 »

Brevet stop being so immature... Take it elsewhere please

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Still no NOTAM for today.

Unsubstantiated claim on FC that a/the B-1 will arrive on Saturday.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Thanks for the info. Very exciting that we might be seeing a B1 in the UK.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

NOTAM now up ( times corrected to BST ) :

B) FROM: 16/09/03 09:30
C) TO: 16/09/03 12:30
E) AD AND RWY 09/27 OPEN. AVAILABLE FOR SCHEDULED MOVEMENTS ONLY.
아직도 숨어있다

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Being kicked about on Facebook that arrival time is 10.45...

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

lynothehammer wrote:Being kicked about on Facebook that arrival time is 10.45...

Which Facebook Group are you looking at? I'm hoping to see some further B1 movements while they are here, so the more information sources monitored the better!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Well , as nobody else has bothered posting it.....
NOTAM's been up for hours ( times BST ) :
B) FROM: 16/09/04 09:00
C) TO: 16/09/04 16:00
E) AD AND RWY 09/27 OPEN. AVAILABLE FOR SCHEDULED MOVEMENTS ONLY.

B-52's been up for hours ( reported as departed around 09:99hrs ) , still using 'SCALP 99' callsign.

No mention of any B-1s being up on the likes of Milscanners ( unless it's on FC's 'secret squirrel' members only bit )
아직도 숨어있다

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Hardly secret squirrel, it's in the dedicated exercise section.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Which you have to register to access , in the same way that there were areas of the VTTS forum restricted to members only , or the Milscanners & Touchdown News newsgroups.... not available for the casual browser to see...ergo 'secret squirrel'.
아직도 숨어있다

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

That's for the info BC. I'm waiting for my membership to be authorised on FC since the B1 thread went into a private forum. If you do hear anything I'd be grateful if you could post here.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Post on Milscanners reporting that the B-52's back in UK airspace inbound Fairford
아직도 숨어있다

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

XM657 what's username have you signed up as on FC? I'll chase if up :smile:

Brevet, I pushed for the whole of FC to viewable to members only. As it is, there is still only 2 or 3 section are reserved for forum members. Just to annoy you more, it's also now a 5 post minimum to access those section too :grin:
Gary

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

The same Xm657.

Fffdmovements.blogspot.co.uk are reporting B1 up too. Would have made the trip down there if I'd known damn

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

The B-1B returned to Fairford recently as Crook 01, the B-52 is still out :smile:

Will chase us why you haven't been activated
Gary

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Thanks. Only register this morning so probably just in the queue.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

138EAW wrote:Brevet, I pushed for the whole of FC to viewable to members only. As it is, there is still only 2 or 3 section are reserved for forum members. Just to annoy you more, it's also now a 5 post minimum to access those section too :grin:

Not annoyed at all , given that I'm a member of a number of newsgroups & fora which are either 'members/registered users only' or have 'members/registered users only' sections....and I chose some time ago not to register on FC.
Of course , why some forum members on here post information on FC but won't post information on here - despite people asking for help - is another matter ..... after all , isn't being helpful towards other forum members para & parcel of being a forum member ?

138EAW wrote:The B-1B returned to Fairford recently as Crook 01, the B-52 is still out :smile:

Rather confusing info from various sources .... some say the B-52 is back , some say there was only one B-1 up , some say that both B-1s were up but one RTB'd soon afterwards .... part and parcel of the joys of newsgroups/fora. :lol:
If the B-52's still up , it must be taking a pretty long & scenic route as there's currently no NOTAM up for Fairford.
아직도 숨어있다

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Ok going completely off topic

The decision was made after various incidents recently, the LN Libya strike missions. the HH-60 crash in 2014, the F-15 crash in 2014, the F-18 crash in 2015. We as a forum should try and limit what people could see because if you go and look at media reports from the time people's info was being lift and used without consent and out of context. Each of the things I mentioned had real time thread running until the staff locked them when the seriousness of them became apparent.

It's nothing to do with secret squirrel, it the forum trying to be a little responsible. You just have to look the amount of people who try and log on to here and FC when something happens that we had to try and have some control of info because we don't know who is using or viewing.

FC doesn't stop people posting on other forums, we just ask people to credit the user etc if they do. Not sure why people don't post info on here. Apart from not wanting the crap that comes with posting on here sometimes
Gary

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

From an interested observer - do I infer that there is information accessible to certain forum members but not in the public domain of a sensitive nature, such that it is restricted because of media accessing the forum? If I am right it seems extraordinary that the US military and others make the information available. Or have I misunderstood the recent posts?
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Don't disagree with most of that , as it's no different what some other newsgroups & fora have done for many years ( although it's more difficult to police on newsgroups )
Quite why exercise deployment movements would fit into the same category as not reporting mission-departures or speculation on crashes is another matter , but at the end of the day it's down to the Admins on each fora/newsgroup to decide.

Have to ask , though , do you really believe that there aren't journalists registered on FC simply to access the restricted topics , because they're on pretty much every other forum/newsgroup that they'd find useful ?
Heck , the ARRSE forum has had that many journos on there over the years that a number of members on there have taken to posting absolute garbage in some topics just to see if some dopey journo reports it as factual :lol:
As for not crediting the source of their information , I've lost count of the number of times stuff I've posted has appeared uncredited elsewhere ( not crediting the newsgroup/forum it was taken from or even the usual "as reported on another forum" ) , and some of that has even been posted on FC in the past.
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Dragon Rapide wrote:From an interested observer - do I infer that there is information accessible to certain forum members but not in the public domain of a sensitive nature, such that it is restricted because of media accessing the forum?

Yes...although it's not restricted to just sensitive stuff.
아직도 숨어있다

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Thanks but you omitted to comment on my subsidiary comment regarding the military making information available. And if it's not sensitive, as you say, why the "secrecy"? Or am I just getting out of depth? !! :question:

Dragon Rapide

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Some fora & newsgroups have had a moratorium on posting information or allowing discussion on active deployments/missions for many years ( decades in some cases ) , although in some cases some of the restrictions have seemed pointless given that anyone sitting within several miles of the airfields would see the departures & anyone with a scanner ( particularly a HF radio ) could listen to the comms traffic which was frequently unencrypted )
Granted it seems to have changed in recent years , but time was when the various Military didn't publicise deployments on the internet.

Discussion on accidents is different ( although again , anyone with a scanner could listen in ) and on most newsgroups/fora , the moratorium is primarily to avoid ludicrous speculation being reported as fact by journalists.

Exercises ? As you say , these days the Countries involved frequently make a lot of information available with regards what's being deployed , where to , and the timings of various elements of the exercise.
In that case , it's down to the individual fora/newsgroups whether they allow that in open or 'closed' discussion....and in the case of FC , they've opted for the latter.
Similarly , newsgroups such as Milscanners & Touchdown News which may feature exercise movements are also 'members only'
아직도 숨어있다

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Thanks. So, if I've understood correctly, everything is in the public domain and unclassified, if you know where to look but some internet is proscribed to limit speculation.

Which all sounds fine but for the excessive speculation around fragments of fact on some fora.

Dragon Rapide

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

:up: :biggrin:

You sometimes end up with the situation where a newsgroup/forum is prohibiting posts about / discussion of something which is being actively reported / discussed not only on other newsgroups/fora but also on various media websites & on mainstream television news.
Similarly there have been instances where newsgroups/fora have - quite rightly - had a moratorium on posting information or allowing discussion of active deployments & mission departures , only to find that the likes of BBC News are reporting the departures live.

Anyway......back on topic......

Still no new NOTAM , so either the B-52 is back ( and the second B-1 , if it was up in the first place ) or it's having a very long flight.
아직도 숨어있다

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Thanks BC and sorry to persist but taking your central point I don't understand why some fora would want to prohibit discussion of information in the public domain especially if other sources do publish it. Of is it little more than creating an aura of secrecy when, in reality, it is irrelevant?

Dragon Rapide