tickets for Scampton airshow

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
CJS

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Post by CJS »

rdchawk wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:I think this airshow may help to answer the age old debate concering who airshows are ultimately aimed at. My gut reaction is that this show may have little to entice dedicated airshow fans compared to RIAT and foreign shows. But there are so many families looking for a good, solid day out and jo public love a good airshow and their defition of good is very different from our defintion. When you have a new show at such a well known location with a relatively small capacity, is there any real need to pull in the rare and special aircraft that us guys look forward to? I am guessing it will be a solid, "bread and butter" show and will sell out.

But will families go for a show where no on site parking which means carrying all food, drink,etc whilst sorting out pushchairs and children??

Ah, isn't that all part of the fun? :clown:

It might mean fewer oversized 'windbreaks' (or, as some people call them, marquees...)
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

aspotternot

Post by aspotternot »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
The event exists to make money for charity. It would be remiss of the RAFCTE not to maximise that. They know what their market will stand. Of course, they're obliged to provide a show in return, but don't forget your entry fee is a charity donation. The free shows on the continent or in the US do not have the same primary motive. You aren't comparing like with like.

WM - I wasn't comparing like-for-like based on charity, I was basing my comparison on show price / content. I realise that some / many, free / cheap foreign shows don't 'push' this aspect but I wouldn't mind betting it still happens at some, only in the background. And if it doesn't? Well you only have to look at how well these events are populated to realise other nationalities don't always view large events as charity 'cash cows'?

Whilst I appreciate that many people in the UK like to think a portion of any entry fee will go to charity do you not think the time has come to ease back on overly-priced events (not just air shows) just because charity is the main aim? We already have RIAT which goes 'full on' to publicise the reasons for the event, with some others to a lesser degree, however, don't you think it would be good to have at least one major air show that puts the customer's pleasure first? I am not saying there should be no charity donation, just simply that for once it should not be the main publicised aim of the show and that the cost / experience should outweigh the cost / donation element.

I am involved in the organisation of two events, one an air show the other a village event, in both cases giving what we can to charities or worthwhile causes, once the 'outlay' and 'contingency' pots are covered, is important and both have a charity element in their advertising. However, as organisers we also know that without giving a very good experience to our customers as our main priority our events may ultimately fail and we could find ourselves in the unfortunate position of not having an event for either purpose.

aspotternot

Post by aspotternot »

pbeardmore wrote:If we are going to do a direct comparison, Sanicole charges you for the loos!! the most cynical thing I think I have seen at an airshow.

Hi Pb - When I first went to Sanicole I too was surprised by the 'loo charge' and had similar thoughts to yours. And I don't think Sanicole are alone in this aspect, I can't remember which one or ones but I am sure I have come across this at other European shows? However, after thinking about it I came to the conclusion that as loos are often a major issue with the public at large outdoor events perhaps it made sense. Organisers struggle to balance the need for the public to pee vs. unit numbers and cost of this facility. Maybe charging a Euro or two for a days peeing allows the organisers to keep their entry prices down which ultimately might attract more visitors? Sanicole have been doing this for a number of years now, with or without objection from the public, so it must work? Although you only have to look at the hedgerows to note the number of objectors! I don't know but it could be that Sanicole use an outside provider for the whole 'experience' hence the charge?! However, I can't imagine it happening at a UK air show, not for the forseeable future, us Brits like to pee for free! Unless DBH have been looking at the possibility of course, and there are no hedgerows at Fairford?!?

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Last edited by vulcan558 on Sun 27 Nov 2016, 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

It'll sell out, I'd say that's fairly likely due in part to the very limited number of tickets. However the high ticket price is going to (possibly) put people off buying until aircraft are announced by which time it may be too late.

Like others I won't be considering Scampton next year due to its clash with Sanicole which for me offers a much better value for money show with a well established list of participation.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

pbeardmore wrote:I think this airshow may help to answer the age old debate concering who airshows are ultimately aimed at. My gut reaction is that this show may have little to entice dedicated airshow fans compared to RIAT and foreign shows. But there are so many families looking for a good, solid day out and jo public love a good airshow and their defition of good is very different from our defintion. When you have a new show at such a well known location with a relatively small capacity, is there any real need to pull in the rare and special aircraft that us guys look forward to? I am guessing it will be a solid, "bread and butter" show and will sell out.

For the love of God, it's JOE Public. JOE. Can the mods please update the board filter to recognise this?

XP282

Post by XP282 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:I will not be supporting this event.

I won't countenance a 6 hour round trip, to leave my car miles away, have a bunfight to get on a packed bus, and possibly get rained on. For forty quid.

No thank you. No matter what the line-up.

Yet the car park isn't miles away, and you don't have to cue for a bus.... so not sure what your point is!

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

XP282 wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:I will not be supporting this event.

I won't countenance a 6 hour round trip, to leave my car miles away, have a bunfight to get on a packed bus, and possibly get rained on. For forty quid.

No thank you. No matter what the line-up.

Yet the car park isn't miles away, and you don't have to cue for a bus.... so not sure what your point is!

There's snooker included?

AFKAMC

Post by AFKAMC »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:

For the love of God, it's JOE Public. JOE. Can the mods please update the board filter to recognise this?

Maybe he's referring to Joe Public's wife? :smile:

XP282

Post by XP282 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:There's snooker included?

Now now Dan, don't be silly.

I'm sorry. Yes, I called it a cue not a queue (yes, I did have to google queue to get the correct spelling). Ive also called it a hanger before, and not a hangar, and I'd probably refer to it as Jo Public. I'm sorry that my dyslexia frustrates you so much. If its any consolation, it annoys the hell out of me too! But I'm here to talk to airshow, photography and aircraft. If I wanted english lessons, I'd find myself an english forum. But thank you.

So, re the airshow. No one cares if you go or not. I certainly don't care. Thats 100% up to you. All I'm saying is to not go because the parking is off site is a silly argument when its still closer than the parking at events such as RIAT (which is also off site).

Dan O'Hagan wrote:No thank you. No matter what the line-up.
Assuming that you are a true aviation enthusiast, then I find that very hard to believe (or at least understand) - Unless you are one of those people who is prepared to cut their nose off to spite their face?

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Two of the car parks at RIAT are on the airfield and the third is next to the fence, separated by a single track lane. By comparison, Lincoln showground to Scampton main gate is 1 mile.
Not a vast distance but enough to cause an issue when the best part of 25,000 people want to catch a bus at the same time.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

CJS

Post by CJS »

The best part of 25,000 people should walk then. In fact they should probably be made to walk. It's a frighteningly short distance - yes, even with a family in tow - and I can't quite believe there's so much (or indeed any) fuss about it.

Make the buses a priority for those who genuinely can't walk for 20 minutes and give everyone else a bit of exercise.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Spot on CJS.
All this talk of a shuttle bus certainly gave me the impression parking was further away. Its next door.

AFKAMC

Post by AFKAMC »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Spot on CJS.
All this talk of a shuttle bus certainly gave me the impression parking was further away. Its next door.

That's good to know, but it would probably help if it was made clearer on the Scampton airshow website.

At the moment, under "How to Get Here", it says "All Standard Admission ticket holders will have to use the free shuttle bus from the nearby Lincolnshire Showground"... which, taken literally, implies there's no pedestrian access.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Exactly. I also got the impression that parking was miles away. In practise, its no different to many another outdoor event by the look of things.

AFKAMC

Post by AFKAMC »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Exactly. I also got the impression that parking was miles away. In practise, its no different to many another outdoor event by the look of things.

I've asked for clarification via the contact form on the Scampton airshow website; I'll post the response here, if it helps.

ScamptonMarketing

Post by ScamptonMarketing »

We are working to provide a safe pedestrian route from the Lincolnshire Showground to the airfield at the moment.

Once this has been confirmed we will let people know and update the website with the new information.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Good to work off some calories before the burger and doughnut lunch :-)
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

I'm all for a walk from the car park to the flight line as much as all the others trying to 'encourage' others to do so. The emphasis here is on 'safe pedestrian access.' For families... prams... hampers... whatever. Thumb your nose all you like about 'working off those calories.' I won't be traipsing a full mile from car park to main gate with my family unless a safe route, off road, is viable.

Think of that, before you start looking down your noses. :smile:
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

CJS

Post by CJS »

Surely (surely) it can be taken as a given that I meant if there was a safe route. I'm not suggesting anyone should walk down a main road or anything, simply that a mile is not a large distance to cover.

No noses were being thumbed (whatever that actually means...)

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

I will be coming via local coach company same as i do for all the airshows i visit they have scampton listed http://www.cooperstours.co.uk/itinerari ... reafilter= hopefully coaches will be parked on the airfield like at waddington
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

There's a possibility that the coaches would drop people off at/outside the airfield then depart -- after all , how much on-site coach parking would be available there ?
Another alternative ( unlikely , but I've seen it happen at other - non-airshow - events ) is that the coaches could go to the Showground rather than the airfield & the passengers would then have to join everyone else in catching one of the shuttle-buses.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

AMB

Post by AMB »

No idea what aircraft they will have there in static, as it's hard enough getting attendees to RIAT in the coming climate. I can imagine DBH contacting all the participants of RIAT 2017 and saying, 'oh by the way, we are having another air show in six weeks' time after RIAT, can you come back'?
Adrian

andrewn

Post by andrewn »

Camping and Sunday tickets all booked. I know its all a bit speculative right now, but I'm gonna give this one a chance :)