Abingdon Air & Country Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Spotty_Jag

Re: Abingdon Air & Country Show 2017

Post by Spotty_Jag »

st24 wrote:Is it just me but the Boomerang has been confirmed for 7, yes 7! months and only 3 weeks before the show the DA issue comes to light?? :confused:

I would have thought, especially in the post-Shoreham era, an organiser would check the pilot's paperwork before booking the aircraft at all? :facepalm:

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Pretty sure no pilots had DAs until a few weeks ago.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:Pretty sure no pilots had DAs until a few weeks ago.

I think the CAA would be very interested to know where you heard that one? Are you sure you are not confusing FDDs (Which have to hold accreditation to oversee events after 1st May when CAP403 is revised) with DAs.

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

Right to put you in the picture for the sharp end.... I was led to believe all was fine when I booked the Boomerang. However let me make it clear as mud it is not down to me to run around after display pilots to get their paperwork in order, i put trust into each pilot that his paperwork is up to scratch, if it isn't they don't participate aswell as my FDD also having a say in it..
Our Display is now regulated by the Military Aviation Authority, not the CAA, and their rules require all civilian pilots to hold a CAA Display Authorisation. Jersey (where it flew) has its own Civil Aviation jurisdiction and their Flying Display Director was probably authorised to approve his display during a practice. Unfortunately my FDD does not hold a CAA Evaluator's authority, so he would not be able to do that here. it makes life increasingly difficult to get the required paperwork in order at short notice, I only found out a few days ago! That's the half of it so unfortunetly that's the way it is, and a replacement is sought.

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

Flying Display update:

Sea Vixen
Great War Display Team
Wasp
Swip Team
Muscle Pitts
Antonov AN2
Autogyro
Yakolev YAK3 U (Rick Van Der Graaf)
Breitling Wingwalker x1
BBMF Spitfire, Hurricane (not hopeful of Lancaster again as it stands as behind schedule).
Historic Army Flight Sioux & Scout
T28 Fennec (US Air Force colours)
Pitts Special (Andy Gents & totally different to Muscle Pitts)
P-51 Mustang
RF4 Motorglider
Jump4Heroes Parachute Display Team (dropping from a second Antonov AN2).
UH-1 Huey

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Huey is an excellent addition - hopefully more shows will follow your lead. :up:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

AMB

Post by AMB »

No Boomerang?? :wall:
Adrian

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

AMB wrote:No Boomerang?? :wall:

Unfortunetly not this year Adrian, his 'experimental' category aircraft has proved problematical and gaining approval he told me 2 days ago would take at least 2 months minimum to gain.. I posted at the top of this page too about it but, its one for 2018 now so all is not lost and will still be his first mainland display, albeit a year later than planned.

RAF Tutor added for static, to add to the already confirmed C130 / A109 & Tucano statics.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The Sea Vixen has Cancelled due to CAP403 issues.

However the show has just announced that a second Yak-3U is attending, this time for static display.

Andy

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

C130 and Wasp cancelled too. It must be so frustrating losing star attractions (Sea Vixen, C130) so close to the event. Hope the RAF come up trumps with a fly past.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

"And as we enter the latter stages of the second-half, it's CAA leading Abingdon 4 - 0!"
Mind-you, they do keep changing the rules of the ball-game? :whistle:
Lets hope some late substitutions can revitalise the match in favour of the Abingdon team.

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

boff180 wrote:The Sea Vixen has Cancelled due to CAP403 issues.

But Abingdon is a RA2335 regulated event, as it's held on military estate, surely? :dizzy:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Spotty_Jag wrote:

But Abingdon is a RA2335 regulated event, as it's held on military estate, surely? :dizzy:

The Sea Vixen is on the civil register.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

DC-3 now in flying display?

tommercer
UKAR Supporter

Post by tommercer »

Evening all,
Just a heads up for those going to the airshow this weekend. If you're traveling from the south and planning to use the M4, be aware of the planned closures that are in place from Friday night to Monday morning - http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/reading-berkshire-news/reading-m4-closed-four-weekends-12798828

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

Weather permitting,a second Mustang 'Miss Helen' will fly in Saturday for static display Sunday

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

So I can't find it anywhere but does anyone know the cut off for advanced tickets?

AMB

Post by AMB »

Oldtower wrote:
AMB wrote:No Boomerang?? :wall:

Unfortunetly not this year Adrian, his 'experimental' category aircraft has proved problematical and gaining approval he told me 2 days ago would take at least 2 months minimum to gain.. I posted at the top of this page too about it but, its one for 2018 now so all is not lost and will still be his first mainland display, albeit a year later than planned.

Okay, so his DA will not allow him to 'display'. What's to stop him bringing the Boomerang just for static display? It would please a lot of people just to see a new type.
Adrian

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

Advance tickets up to late Friday online.

Boomerang Pilot was given that option to attend as static but he has decided not to,and mainly as his other aircraft had engine problems and so he is now staying back to sort that issue out.

Ryan SCW / a quartet of Shipping & Airline aircraft, Fairchild Argus amongst others recently added to fly in.

RAF Heavies a no go too for flypasts as was told ' unfortunetly Air Mobility assets unable to support!!!!' - so apart from the Tutor, theres nothing from the local bases that also use the airfield, just shows they are stretched these days. Just hope we don't see one in the Brize circuit then...........................................!!

RAF Tucano, RAF Tutor and RAF Agusta 109 are the RAF support to us statically, with RAF BBMF Spitfire / Hurricane in the display.. its not for trying.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Spotty_Jag wrote:

The Sea Vixen is on the civil register.

Just a smoke-screen! The compliancy aspects of CAP403 for aircraft servicing/preparation have been known for ages. If the jet isn't even ready to air-test, or flown yet this year, the pilot doesn't have currency subsequently leading to a PDA. Only at the last stage can any blame be remotely attributed to CAP403 for the failure to make the known schedule!

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

Hi

Just wondering if anyone paid £12.00 for a ticket for the Abingdon air show stand at the Gazelle gathering at Middle Wallop on 08-04-2017 and if they have or have not received a ticket yet.

It was explained to me that there was some problem with the ticket web site at the time and that I would receive my ticket direct in the post but all I got was a compliments slip saying it has been paid.

I emailed the organisers on their web site yesterday but have not received a reply.

Thanks

Martin Eames

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

Martin - did you not get a blue wristband with the compliments slip??? PM please as it was me who posted a few days later.

D1Scafellpike

Post by D1Scafellpike »

Any Friday or Saturday arrivals and times known yet please (noted a Mustang due Sat) ?

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

Oldtower wrote:Martin - did you not get a blue wristband with the compliments slip??? PM please as it was me who posted a few days later.

Found it! I have sent you a PM

Looking forward to the show

Many Thanks

Martin Eames

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Any info re. frequencies for this year's show?

Thanks too for the info about M4 closures. I had not thought to check that. I imagine there will be widespread traffic chaos this weekend with the M4 and M3 closed!
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....