Shackleton WR963 - [Official Topic]

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
AndyXH558

Re: Shackleton WR963 - [Official Topic]

Post by AndyXH558 »

Great work Rich and the team. onwards and upwards.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

Defendermad

Post by Defendermad »

I can't seem to find it but I'm sure we had some talk of a taxy run? Is this still happening? I'm sure I read there was one, and expressed my interest, but I may be going mad! Can anyone enlighten me?

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Replied in your thread, sorry for missing this. The first of this year's taxy runs is on 28th January!

Kind regards,

Rich
Richard Woods
Team leader Avro Shackleton WR963
2009 - 2016
2019 -
http://www.facebook.com/avro.shackleton

DonaldGrump

Post by DonaldGrump »

Can anyone clarify whether or not a return to flight is still on the cards?

I am aware of course that there has been a serious disturbance of the force but am unclear as to where this has left the whole thing...can anyone educate me on this one? :question:

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Hello Mr President,

We're still trying to make up lost ground, but there's several of us that don't want to call it a day. There are still a few issues to be thrashed out as a result of what went on last year and more importantly a whole host of work to the aircraft that we're trying to fit in around the taxy run schedule for the coming year.

I'd like to see her fly, but as always, funding it all is the big thing. Thats why we're trying to make the old Shackleton work for a living this year by giving rides and letting her be used for photo opportunities and the like. I still believe she will flly.

Kind regards,

Rich W
Richard Woods
2009 - 2016
2019 -

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

Ultimately will WE963 require the sort of deep scrutiny and work that Just Jane is currently receiving? I don't know a whole lot about either airframe, so I'm not sure if the work on Just Jane is typical of the jump from ground runner to flyer?

Again, the mind runs away with mental images of the BBMF Lancaster, Just Jane and WE963 in formation... :smile:

DonaldGrump

Post by DonaldGrump »

richw_82 wrote:Hello Mr President,

We're still trying to make up lost ground, but there's several of us that don't want to call it a day. There are still a few issues to be thrashed out as a result of what went on last year and more importantly a whole host of work to the aircraft that we're trying to fit in around the taxy run schedule for the coming year.

I'd like to see her fly, but as always, funding it all is the big thing. Thats why we're trying to make the old Shackleton work for a living this year by giving rides and letting her be used for photo opportunities and the like. I still believe she will flly.

Kind regards,

Rich W

Thank you Rich, I am sure that funding it can be done with a bit of luck a lot of effort and the right people in place.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Alanko wrote:Ultimately will WE963 require the sort of deep scrutiny and work that Just Jane is currently receiving? I don't know a whole lot about either airframe, so I'm not sure if the work on Just Jane is typical of the jump from ground runner to flyer?
Again, the mind runs away with mental images of the BBMF Lancaster, Just Jane and WE963 in formation... :smile:

Clearly suffering from too much :drool: Alanko! Finger slipped onto the adjacent key twice?
Whilst 2 Lancasters & WE963 Gloster Meteor F.Mk 8 (Ex 34 Sqn RAF) might whet someone's appetite, my preference would be for the Shackleton to fly with the Lanc's. :wink:
(Anyway, the Meatbox was destroyed in a fatal Air-to-air on 3rd March 1955)

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

Oh dear! I typed it incorrectly the first time, then copied and pasted it wholesale for the second offense. :grin: Measure once, drill twice...

Defendermad

Post by Defendermad »

Is there any up to date news regarding this project? I have tried to contact the chairman by email to book a taxy run but to no avail, just wondering what's happening? I am heading down to see some friends in the Midlands soon and would love to see her.

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Things are still progressing, though we've had gremlins strike during the last taxy run and during a night photo shoot for Timeline Events which has brought things to a halt. In short another recurrence of the hydraulic fault that popped up in early 2016 has prompted the tear down of the entire system.

So on 11 March - the 63rd brithday of the aircraft herself - the main objective of the day was not a celebratory taxy run as planned, but getting to grips with the hydraulic problem. We're going to cure it once and for all. One of the things that needs doing is the two Integral hydraulic pumps mounted behind No 3 and No 4 engine are going to get sent away for servicing. This meant they had to come off! While they're out the way the self sealing couplings for ground servicing and the bracket to secure the pipes will be reinstated behind No 3 engine. There's still more to do in that over the next few weeks all the filters will be coming out, and the hydraulic reservoir itself may be flushed depending on its state.

The pressure relief valve in the starboard undercarriage bay has been removed, sent away for rebuild and has now been returned and fitted. Normal system pressure is 2200psi, but we've found the internal relief valves in the pumps are stuck so the line pressure is unacceptably high. This wouldn't have been a problem but the PRV was failing to open and dump pressure form the delivery line into the return line; something it should do at 3050psi, as a last resort to protect the lines and seals. Even so its not designed to cope with the full flow from both pumps, which led to the previous failures.

We had a stuck bomb bay selector which led to our last taxy run being with the bomb doors open, and this was removed, and a replacement found from stock. The replacement had a serviceable valve body but a dead solenoid on the 'open' side, so it was replaced with one of the good solenoids off the old unit to bring it back to fully working condition.

Normally seen leading a small team beating a Meteor NF14 into submission at Yorkshire Air Museum, Graham Buckle kindly came along to gave us a hand yesterday with something a bit bigger. Graham's work was starting to prepare WR963's nose panels to be removed as there's more equipment to go in before long that we can't get up through the aircraft's fuselage.

And some cracking news - a fantastic acquisition arrived courtesy of a gentleman named Garry Hicks. These are two Sonics sets that the MR version of the Shackleton carried as part of its antisubmarine warfare role. As we managed to find an ASV21 radar scope a short time ago, and a plotting table not long after, we now have sufficient parts to restore WR963's crew compartment back to full MR2 configuration. I never thought we'd manage to find one - let alone two of these!

More is planned to bring WR963 back to MR2 status and we'll be back in on 1 April to do more to bring her back to servicable condition. The hydraulic pumps will be back from overhaul soon allowing fully functioning hydraulics with no issues and there's a few other bits on the list to attend to to keep us busy. We've still a radio problem to sort out as something is triggering things to transmit as soon as power is applied to the PTR1751, a plan to implement to get more brake pressure, and a couple of hydraulic pressure gauges to plumb in to echo the MR3's equipment fit and provide a genuine indication as to pressure rather than having to turn the windscreen wipers on to check its still there!!

The hydraulics are key though, once they're sorted taxying can recommence.

I'll speak with the Chairman about checking his e-mails.... :wall:

Regards

Rich
Last edited by richw_82 on Sat 18 Dec 2021, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Woods
2009 - 2016
2019 -

Defendermad

Post by Defendermad »

Rich, Thankyou for that rather in depth update, you have certainly been busy, lets hope this year proves to be more fruitful once she's running again! I'll keep an eye on here, if you could keep us updated with progress, that would be great, I do enjoy reading the updates. Are you onsite most weekends? I'd be interested in a look if nothing else, and an insight into your work, next time I'm down perhaps if I've a free few hours.
Again, keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing WR963 soon.

Defendermad

Post by Defendermad »

As I was in the area visiting friends on Saturday, we popped down to see WR963, as a friend had said on your Facebook page you were open, to find no one there! Rather dissapointing really, particularly as I live on the isle of Skye and this was a rare visit to the area! Anyway, we went onwards to Halfpenny green, and caught sight of one of your volunteers, didn't click at first, he had his black overalls on and Shackleton Preservation Trust high viz, but we couldn't find your stall, did we miss something?

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

Ahhhh, PROPER Engineering...
Canon systems

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Defendermad wrote:As I was in the area visiting friends on Saturday, we popped down to see WR963, as a friend had said on your Facebook page you were open, to find no one there! Rather dissapointing really, particularly as I live on the isle of Skye and this was a rare visit to the area! Anyway, we went onwards to Halfpenny green, and caught sight of one of your volunteers, didn't click at first, he had his black overalls on and Shackleton Preservation Trust high viz, but we couldn't find your stall, did we miss something?

Hi Defendermad,

Whichever friend told you we were on site this Saturday was in error - the aircraft is still waiting for its hydraulic pumps back from overhaul, and virtually the entire team were up in Derbyshire on Saturday attending my wedding.

There are various ex-members of SPT (the old Trust which is no longer working on WR963) so their attendance at Halfpenny Green is coincidence rather than planned.

Sorry you didn't get to look around 963, I'm aware of how far you travelled from our previous PM's.

Regards
Rich
Richard Woods
2009 - 2016
2019 -

Defendermad

Post by Defendermad »

He said it says on your Facebook page you are open every Saturday 10-4, hence us just dropping by. Congratulations on your big day, I do hope it was the happiest day of your life! (Albeit one of the most expensive!), I await you getting WR963 taxying, there's a few of us wanting a ride! The chap at halfpenny green certainly looked the part! Perhaps he's the one that's missing something? Anyway, I'll keep an eye on hear for any news. Many thanks

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Defendermad wrote:He said it says on your Facebook page you are open every Saturday 10-4, hence us just dropping by. Congratulations on your big day, I do hope it was the happiest day of your life! (Albeit one of the most expensive!), I await you getting WR963 taxying, there's a few of us wanting a ride! The chap at halfpenny green certainly looked the part! Perhaps he's the one that's missing something? Anyway, I'll keep an eye on hear for any news. Many thanks

My apologies, your friend has a point. I'll have to have a look at sorting that as we're only working a couple of times a month while we have big work on. I'll let you know when taxying resumes - we had bad news on one of the pumps so its taking us a bit longer to sort things out than planned.

Thanks for the congratulations! It was a fantastic day.

Regards

Rich
Richard Woods
2009 - 2016
2019 -

Defendermad

Post by Defendermad »

Ok thanks, I look forward to it! I hope you sort the pumps!

Defendermad

Post by Defendermad »

Is there any news? I heard some report of an engine run but only 2 engines due to lack of fuel. I'm planning a trip down to Warwick in the next month or so, so I'm hoping to drop by, any news on her taxying yet, be nice to have a ride in her! Richw82 I have messaged you but don't seem to have had a reply.
Many thanks

Defendermad

Post by Defendermad »

Well, no reply on here or to my messages? We popped by today, but nobody there, very nice lunch in the Diner though, so not entirely wasted. Just what exactly has happened here? I was chatting to a couple of guys outside the Diner who said WR963 is charity property and should be handed back and operated by the charity, as it's running into demise due to a severe lack of funding, general interest and expertise, and that flight is most certainly not an option. I am not sure what to make of this, but considering nearly 2 weeks have gone by with no response to my enquiries, and I have also emailed davesxjs@live but no reply, am I to believe its all but finished? It certainly seems that way!

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Sorry, I've not been hanging around the forums in a while and work has seen me all around the UK and left me little time for aeroplanes. Not sure who your source was but I can guess - they stoped posting on our Facebook page after Dad finally got fed up and scanned and posted the bill of sale of WR963. Its still there should you want to satisfy yourself. She's not lacking fuel either, some 600 gallons being in the tanks.

Since 2009 the team have always been working on Saturdays - you would have caught them on site that day trying to sort out the problems they still have on the list. I'm told there were brief engine runs of no 1 and 3 engines and fault finding on the other two.

Head across to the Facebook pages and send a message there; its the quick way to get an answer. The project is far from over the guys are just keeping their head down and cracking on - the only issue on the horizon being the airport cutting its hours of operation and level of fire cover.
Richard Woods
2009 - 2016
2019 -

Defendermad

Post by Defendermad »

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for clearing a few things up, I don't do facebook, hence me using this forum as a point of reference. I did send an email too but it hasn't been answered. Anyway, thank's again for the update, Hopefully I will get to see her up close, as opposed to over the fence, and I am still interested in a Taxy ride should that day come!

Defendermad

Post by Defendermad »

Over 3 months has passed and no news, I have looked on the Facebook pages now and they are disappointingly showing a lack of posts. I had high hopes for this project, it seems to be slipping away now, there used to be regular updates, now it seems things only happen when someone pushes a question. I have popped by a couple of Saturdays whilst visiting friends in the area, but nobody onsite, just a forlorn looking WR963.

Marka1967

Post by Marka1967 »

Defendermad wrote:Over 3 months has passed and no news, I have looked on the Facebook pages now and they are disappointingly showing a lack of posts. I had high hopes for this project, it seems to be slipping away now, there used to be regular updates, now it seems things only happen when someone pushes a question. I have popped by a couple of Saturdays whilst visiting friends in the area, but nobody onsite, just a forlorn looking WR963.

Don't forget Defendermad that the group is solely run by volunteers who do have lives of their own to live and families to raise. I'm sure things have been happening behind the scenes and I'm sure progress will be reported in due course.

Defendermad

Post by Defendermad »

Marka1967, I do understand that the team have families etc, however, the project was always well updated on here and elsewhere, for many years. It seems to me that it's now gone by the wayside, with the winding down of operations at Coventry Airport, and the apparent ongoing Charities Commission investigation, plus the lack of work being carried out, (twice I have popped by to find nobody there). We were promised regular updates etc, these don't appear to have happened. It's sad really, I had such high hopes for WR963, but it seems nobody is interested any more.