RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
PirateTrickster

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Post by PirateTrickster »

What's a Facebook live session? ('scuse my ignorance)

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

st24 wrote:How can it be anything other than detrimental to the viewing experience?? Since the '20s Airshow displays have been aligned on a display axis - usually the runway with crowd along that. Every display is designed around that model. Will this secondary display axis need centreline markers and I presume a practice for both as it's totally alien to the standard Cosford set up? I just don't get it. Surely the more meddling with display lines and differing axis can only have a negative effect on crews and crowds alike...
I'm still struggling to get this..

Exactly. Flying has an element of risk. To eliminate the risk you have to stop flying at all. To fiddle around like this is just moving things around, and if anything, as you rightly say this is adding elements of complexity that surely raise the level of risk rather than mitigating it. Where on earth is the common sense?. :dizzy: :dizzy:

On a more positive note, well done to the Cosford team for hosting a comms session at the busiest of busy times.

Hopefully, the spectacle on the day won't be as badly affected as I fear. Fingers crossed. As blasé familiarity makes many of us with the Red Arrows, there are fewer bigger spectacles in the airshow world. The airshow scene would struggle without them.

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

PirateTrickster wrote:What's a Facebook live session? ('scuse my ignorance)

It's a live video feed from the airshow team that streams on their Facebook page and they engage with the viewers.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Spotty_Jag wrote:I think this is all ridiculous, have the Red Arrows egos got too big to fit in Cosford's small display airspace perhaps? But what I find most ironic is that all the enthusiasts who regard their performance as a toilet break are now suddenly up in arms about this. As long as the real star items (Tornado, Whirlwind, Strikemasters) are still going on the normal display line, I don't care about missing the Red Arrows.

Sounds more like the Red Arrows are doing what they have been told by the higher ups the same as the Typhoon display team, egos have nothing to do with it.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Spotty_Jag wrote:I think this is all ridiculous, have the Red Arrows egos got too big to fit in Cosford's small display airspace perhaps? But what I find most ironic is that all the enthusiasts who regard their performance as a toilet break are now suddenly up in arms about this. As long as the real star items (Tornado, Whirlwind, Strikemasters) are still going on the normal display line, I don't care about missing the Red Arrows.

Do you honestly think that the RAFAT...oh wait, you were joking. Hehe, good one. :-P
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Is holding a Facebook live session going to change anything?I suppose it gives the organisers a chance to explain that these measures being taken is beyond their control before they are slated to death post show.You have to give Peter and the team credit for that at least.You can gaurantee some will be asking for refunds.
Last edited by TYPHOON3 on Sun 04 Jun 2017, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

:wall: :wall: :wall:
Some people are never satisfied!! The show team have agreed to go live on Facebook to give people more details on the issues with typhoon and reds displays and they get slated again!
I guess some people just like to have a go. Muppets.
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

alpha586 wrote: :wall: :wall: :wall:
Some people are never satisfied!! The show team have agreed to go live on Facebook to give people more details on the issues with typhoon and reds displays and they get slated again!
I guess some people just like to have a go. Muppets.

Oh the irony... :roll:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

PlanesTV will be live streaming from Cosford it seems:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZQebZfdOZE[/youtube]

Sundowner

Post by Sundowner »

Spotty_Jag wrote:PlanesTV will be live streaming from Cosford it seems:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZQebZfdOZE[/youtube]

Yippee bloody do, another obstruction right against the crowd line fence with that chap stood on top!!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

aknott68 wrote:Does anyone know what time the flying is meant to start at Cosford, travelling by public transport and first train gets there are midday, I don't know why Cosford don't arrange their show on a Saturday to remove this constraint from those of us who can't travel by car...

11:30 this year. Fingers crossed for you, that there's a gentle start to the flying. There usually is if previous years are anything to go by.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

I'm not sure about that, the last couple of years have started with a bang, Typhoon and A-400 last year, Belgian F-16 the year before, judging bybthe road closures though the Typhoon and Reds are between 2 and 3. Were are you coming from mate?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Luke28 wrote:I'm not sure about that, the last couple of years have started with a bang, Typhoon and A-400 last year, Belgian F-16 the year before, judging bybthe road closures though the Typhoon and Reds are between 2 and 3. Were are you coming from mate?

You're quite right, I'd forgotten the F-16 and Typhoon being early on in the schedule. I just had the Falcons will-they-won't-they "we really want to jump for you ladies and gentlemen" palaver in my mind. Notwithstanding the Reds + King Air flypast which opened the show last year.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Afternoon All, as I likely won't have time to post on the forum in the coming week I thought I'd try answer some queries this afternoon:

rob68 wrote:Isn't there an off base field accessed off the A464 that charges £5 or similar that is more or less at the end of the runway? If it is open this year moving the display axis is pointless isn't it?

Won't be open this year. You'll be hard pressed to find any secondary viewing locations for the Air Show this year. My advice; just buy a ticket and come in.

capercaillie wrote:
Flare Path wrote:Ireland confirmed, according to the website - a return of their CASA CN-235 would be most welcome.
Cessna 172 would be far better.

When has their CASA visited RAF Cosford before? I can't recall seeing it here in the last 10 years. And yes the Cessna 172FR was on our request... but you'll just have to wait until later this week to see what type they're bringing for the static display.

aknott68 wrote:Does anyone know what time the flying is meant to start at Cosford?

Current plan has the RAF Falcons jumping in at 1120L opening the flying display, subject to change.

On the topic of the site map, it is now available to download from the Air Show website. Returning visitors will notice that static aircraft are spread around the site more than previous years, so bring your walking shoes!

Keep your eyes on the official Air Show Facebook/Twitter/Website this week as that's where participation updates will be added by my colleagues as soon as receive any confirmation paperwork!

And to finish off, thanks for your great support as always... there's always one... :roll:
Chris G wrote:What a complete and utter cluster***k, Cosfords team should be completely and utterly ashamed of themselves.

Cheers,
Peter :hide:
Operations Manager
RAF Cosford Air Show

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

Thank you for taking the time to address some of these queries during this very busy period. Cannot wait for this time next week ! :rock: :cool:

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

zigzag wrote:Bugger, I'm going to have to find a new naughty field a bit further away from Albrighton :biggrin:

I'd try Shrewsbury mate, it's about right....and it's west of Cosford.

Poor blighters organising the show this year. Talk about having the rug pulled from under you :wall:
Got to love Russianhardware

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

aknott68 wrote:Thanks for the information Peter will there be a schedule published on the web site showing the programme of events before the show.

Hi Andy, the full schedule of events is available in the souvenir programme (which looks fabulous I have to say, great work from the Cosford Graphics Studio). It don't be released in full pre-event but here are some key timings for you to consider; 0830 - Gates Open, 0900 - Live Entertainment in Vintage Village begins, 1120 - Flying Display begins, 1740 - Flying Display ends, 1900 - Live Entertainment in Vintage Village ceases. And of course during the day there's countless other activities in all the display hangars including military bands, technical demonstrations, presentations etc.

And no, my comment was not targeted at you. I think the target of my comment was clear from who I quoted... :ninja:

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

Well I'm going on a coach for the first time. They're setting off at 9 and without traffic usually takes approximately 50 minutes, so god knows how long it's going to take if we get caught in all the traffic. I asked what time they think we'll be there and they said 10:30ish but hopefully they aren't getting complacent with the traffic because I definitely do not want to miss any of the show. :shock:

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

aknott68 wrote:I just hope its not as expensive as the one from Duxford last week - £8 is somewhat on the strong side..

From the FAQ section on the Cosford Airshow website:
How much does the Souvenir programme cost?
Programmes cost £6.00 and will be available from outlets across the showground.
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

£6 is more than reasonable, im sure the Fairford one is £10/12.

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

aknott68 wrote:Does anyone know what time the flying is meant to start at Cosford, travelling by public transport and first train gets there are midday, I don't know why Cosford don't arrange their show on a Saturday to remove this constraint from those of us who can't travel by car...

Where are you travelling from? There are usually a lot more trains put on for the airshow. The earliest train usually arrives from New Street, Birmingham at about 9ish
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

aknott68 wrote:I must admit that whilst I've bought tickets for the event, I find it ridiculous cost for the Scampton air show, something like £37/9 compared to the cost of Cosford - and that's despite the fact that the Cosford airshow has the additional attraction of the museum on site (I know the entrance to that is free) and I can only draw correlation between the team arranging Scampton is the same that arrange Fairford - and I really question value for money when I compare against Cosford.
The costs of Fairford and the sameness of their displays made me stop going to Fairford on a regular basis from 2010, although I did make the effort in 2015 for the Battle of Britain 75th event and I'm glad that I did because of the gorgeous weather, the Battle elements as well of course the farewell to XH558

You can get some real bargains if you wait until the week of the show and check eBay, for the last three years have been able to get a pair of tickets for Yeovilton for £20 and last year got three tickets for the Friday at RIAT for £30

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Peter, already got 4 x tickets. It was more a comment that if off base viewing is available why would the RAFAT move their display axis?

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

You know it's Cosford week when the weather is absolutely appalling - throwing it down here.