RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Tonka 617

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Post by Tonka 617 »

borismorris wrote:I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who let out one or two expletives in joyous disbelief upon reading this mid afternoon..

I read the up date whilst at work and let out a few choice words much to the surprise to my colleagues, awesome to have a B1 flypast. Cosford team you are awesome! :clap:

Jay

Post by Jay »

Whilst I am still sad that the Skyraider wonyt be flying, it's a type I always wanted to see. I must admit I am pretty excited by the addition of the B-52 and now the B-1! I''m glad I didn't sell my ticket now! lets just hope they both manage to come and that the weather is good, this will be my first visit to Cosford and from looking at the previous posts it does seem to be prone to having bad weather! I read on a aviation group on Facebook something about the B-52 being "broken" can anyone confirm this, if so lets hope it's nothing that cant be fixed in time for the flypast.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

There is 3 at Fairford, 1 is grounded with engine problems, the other 2 have flew on each day since arriving.

speedshrew

Post by speedshrew »

For a first visit to Cosford, I haven't picked a bad lineup to come to! Looking forward to this! Just waiting on an answer to my Blue Badge query now, but pretty much all set :D

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Those who have not been before, Have you been to Cosford at all? - ie. The RAF museum?..

If not make sure you get a good look around -There's loads of stuff in those hangars you won't see anywhere else.

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

Well this £25 is turning out to be the biggest bargain of the year. :clap:

Jay

Post by Jay »

borismorris wrote:Those who have not been before, Have you been to Cosford at all? - ie. The RAF museum?..

If not make sure you get a good look around -There's loads of stuff in those hangars you won't see anywhere else.

I've never been before, this is my first visit to the county of Shropshire, I'm not sure I will have time to go to the museum as I am travelling by train and unless I wanted to stay an extra night that doesn't give me much time to play with, I'm coming up as early as I can on Saturday and staying in Wolverhampton, I cant check in to the hotel till later in the afternoon but there are 2 places I want to visit, if i have enough time I might be able to squeeze in a visit to the museum after I see Iron bridge and have taken my bear to visit his birthplace.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Oooh , Argosy, Brittania and Belfast and lots of other interesting types, I really will try and visit the museum!

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

The museum is on the airfield so providing you get to Cosford as early as you can you ought to have a couple of hours to walk around.
So many highlights but seeing the Vulcan, Victor and Valliant all in the same place (as well as the superbly positioned Lightning) would be a good starting point.
The collection of prototypes and experimental aircraft is superb too. Aero 707, TSR-2, Bristol 188, P1A.... I could go on (really trying not to!).

kianelle

Post by kianelle »

Is it right that the B52 and B1 are only cleared to 1000feet .needs to be a clear day or won't see much again .

scottspencer

Post by scottspencer »

B52 wasnt allowed below 1000 last year

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Jay wrote:[... after I see Iron bridge and have taken my bear to visit his birthplace.

eek! I hope you keep him on a lead :shock: :biggrin:

Ironbridge is quite spread out, there are several museums there. You'll find its not a quick visit. I would have recommended you do the RAF Museum the day before the airshow as it only takes half a day and is way better away from show day, but you may be cutting it fine especially without a car. My advice for show day is get round the museum early in the morning if you don't need to stake out a crowd line pitch, or immediately after the FD, as the museum doesn't reliably extend its opening hours just because its show day.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

kianelle wrote:Is it right that the B-52 and B1 are only cleared to 1000feet .needs to be a clear day or won't see much again .

I think that is probably correct, the B-1 flypasts at Sanicole last year were around 1000ft, not sure if that's a USAF rule for non demo pilots?

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Ok - In recognition of the excellent job Peter R and the team have done this year (in spite of the doubting Thomas's earlier in the year) I've bought my ticket. Lineup looks excellent, and at £25 you can't beat it for value (RIAT take note - £55 - seriously?). Now just fingers crossed for good weather (forecast, as previously stated, seems to be changing hourly) and no/ few cancellations.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

RIAT is exceptional value for money, if anything airshows are very cheap in comparison to other comparable hobbys and sports, I'm a season ticket holder at Villa which works out per game as the same as the Cosford ticket, I've barely had 45 minutes entertainment in 4 years at Villa Park were as Cosford is a great day out from start to finish.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Jay wrote:[... after I see Iron bridge and have taken my bear to visit his birthplace.

eek! I hope you keep him on a lead :shock: :biggrin:

Ironbridge is quite spread out, there are several museums there. You'll find its not a quick visit. I would have recommended you do the RAF Museum the day before the airshow as it only takes half a day and is way better away from show day, but you may be cutting it fine especially without a car. My advice for show day is get round the museum early in the morning if you don't need to stake out a crowd line pitch, or immediately after the FD, as the museum doesn't reliably extend its opening hours just because its show day.

I'm just planning on taking a photo of the bridge and visiting the Merrythought shop so I should have time to do that and then get to the museum, I don't think I will have time to go to the museum on the day of the airshow as the earliest train from Wolverhampton is at 08:41, gets me to Cosford at 9, i suppose that gives me an hour to play with but the museum sounds to good for a rushed visit. I do need to find a good spot in the crowd line as I want to get some good photos.
I will have 2 bears and a dragon with me, I hope the security people will not have a problem with that.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Jay wrote:I will have 2 bears and a dragon with me, I hope the security people will not have a problem with that.

It'll be the people next to you on the crowdline that will have to worry I reckon :grin:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Cole

Post by Cole »

scottspencer wrote:B-52 wasnt allowed below 1000 last year

Think that was due to the crew not being visual with the ground/Cosford ?
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

B_Tank88

Post by B_Tank88 »

speedbird2639 wrote:Ok - In recognition of the excellent job Peter R and the team have done this year (in spite of the doubting Thomas's earlier in the year) I've bought my ticket. Lineup looks excellent, and at £25 you can't beat it for value (RIAT take note - £55 - seriously?). Now just fingers crossed for good weather (forecast, as previously stated, seems to be changing hourly) and no/ few cancellations.

I would pay £55 for RIAT in a heartbeat. The level of participants that RIAT has attracted past couple years is easily worth that price imo.

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

speedbird2639 wrote:and at £25 you can't beat it for value (RIAT take note - £55 - seriously?)

You're paying double for triple the amount of aircraft that you see at Cosford. Quite simple really! :whistle:
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

I'm stilll baffled by the fact that, after all the posts slating the airshow on here over the last few weeks and months, a flypast at height lasting mere minutes at the most, from two aircraft can make such a difference! It's going to be a treat to watch from my garden at least!
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

speedbird2639 wrote: Lineup looks excellent, and at £25 you can't beat it for value (RIAT take note - £55 - seriously?)

:lol: :lol: at least at RIAT the acts, of which there are considerably more, will be able to display in front of you and not in an adjacent county with the ability to take off and land right there but if thats the way you see it then fair play, enjoy

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

Ian G wrote:I'm stilll baffled by the fact that, after all the posts slating the airshow on here over the last few weeks and months, a flypast at height lasting mere minutes at the most, from two aircraft can make such a difference! It's going to be a treat to watch from my garden at least!

Kind of agree with your point here, yes it's a great catch to have the 2 us bombers doing a flypast but there are exactly that just flypasts. I'd drop both flypasts in a shot for another international full display.
Also just shows how poor our RAF are that the US can allow planes to attend an airshow thousands of miles from home, yet the RAF can't send a heavy or 2 100 miles or so from Brize to Cosford for a flypast.

Flannerz

Post by Flannerz »

Are we to assume the lineup is completed now? Website still says that discussions are ongoing with the French. One more to be added perhaps?

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:Also just shows how poor our RAF are that the US can allow planes to attend an airshow thousands of miles from home, yet the RAF can't send a heavy or 2 100 miles or so from Brize to Cosford for a flypast.

I was going to type a response to this but I gave up, brokens records and :wall: