RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Flare Path

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Post by Flare Path »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:Also just shows how poor our RAF are that the US can allow planes to attend an airshow thousands of miles from home, yet the RAF can't send a heavy or 2 100 miles or so from Brize to Cosford for a flypast.

Please stop. The RAF have given magnificent support to the show this year, not least in the form of Atlas and the BAE 146 - you can also add Juno, Jupiter and (providing the wind is suitable) the 4 Spitfires.

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

Wes_Howes wrote:
Adamwilliams132 wrote:Also just shows how poor our RAF are that the US can allow planes to attend an airshow thousands of miles from home, yet the RAF can't send a heavy or 2 100 miles or so from Brize to Cosford for a flypast.

I was going to type a response to this but I gave up, brokens records and :wall:

If the point is still valid that is not the case. Cosford should be organised as a civilian show on a military base like scampton. The RAF don't care about showcasing there assets to the tax payer and potential recruits. If you get a rivet joint or E-3 flypast that's showcasing electronic warfare which might interest possible recruits, a heavy in a flypast showcases the humanitarian effort the RAF put in. But instead of sending the
To display in front of roughly 70,000 tax payers paying again to see the RAF they'd rather them just sit on the Tarmac somewhere.

Shyft87

Post by Shyft87 »

I think people tend to forget that the RAF no longer has the variety of types it used to...Not to mention the operational commitments in sandier places.

for example, while yes they're static; Cosford will be displaying Jags and Harriers... what other shows can boast this?

I remember being fortunately enough as a child to witness 5 hercs performing a flypast: now if I have my figures correct this would currently represent nearly 20% of ALL current RAF hercs - the fact we were even going to get one was a big deal.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Luke28 wrote:RIAT is exceptional value for money, if anything airshows are very cheap in comparison to other comparable hobbys and sports, I'm a season ticket holder at Villa which works out per game as the same as the Cosford ticket, I've barely had 45 minutes entertainment in 4 years at Villa Park were as Cosford is a great day out from start to finish.

Me and you both Luke at the Villa. Fully support RIAT as significant value for money considering what you actually see during a full show day... Cosford is a bargain, but it ain't no RIAT in terms of military-ness and length of display. In it's defence, it isn't trying to be RIAT or RIAT-light (Scampton?). Yet it has pulled a couple of rabbits out of the bag.

Park and View East on arrivals days at Fairford, without a shadow of doubt in my mind, best value for money day out bar none (my opinion). :up:
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:To display in front of roughly 70,000 tax payers paying again to see the RAF they'd rather them just sit on the Tarmac somewhere.

Just because you're a tax payer, doesn't mean the RAF has to display it's aircraft for you. That isn't their job funnily enough, it's actually defending the tax payers and the country they live in. The RAF actually tried to commit a Hercules for the display but it's had to be retasked for a more important reason than keeping (a small amount of) tax payers happy :wall: And they have committed several other airframes including an A-400 for static

Shyft87

Post by Shyft87 »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:If the RAF are to busy to send anything for a flypast drop the RAF from the show then expectation comes down.
Not 1 airframe available for a flypast in the whole fleet I don't think so, to be it looks like they aren't bothered about showcasing there skills.

there are currently 24... thats twenty-four c130's in the RAF fleet.

Most are on operational commitments... and given that crew have families etc, allowing for servicing... yes I can see it being possible that they can't spare an airframe.

Adam, In the past I've agreed with you, but now you're just being disagreeable almost for the sake of it; you do this every year for the past three years running.

If you don't like what's on offer - don't go.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Wes_Howes wrote:The RAF actually tried to commit a Hercules for the display but it's had to be retasked for a more important reason than keeping (a small amount of) tax payers happy

I take it there's a Herc in the Queen's birthday wishlist this year then :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Good point, her Maj is worth it though :wink:

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Wes_Howes wrote:Good point, her Maj is worth it though :wink:

Perhaps Peter can get the Queen to do a flypast as she's tax payer funded too....

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

jalfrezi wrote:
Wes_Howes wrote:Good point, her Maj is worth it though :wink:

Perhaps Peter can get the Queen to do a flypast as she's tax payer funded too....

Maybe in a balloon filled with the hot air from a certain person :wink:

Cole

Post by Cole »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:
Hampshire Aviation wrote:You're wrong and an idiot. And hopefully that'll be the end of the discussion.

I'm also a 6,5 18 stone boxer so I'd love you to say that to my face, if you disagree with me fair enough but name calling please this is an aviation forum, not one of my fight weigh ins

How about everyone calm down and take a chill pill...
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Shyft87 wrote:For example, while yes they're static; Cosford will be displaying Jags and Harriers... what other shows can boast this?

As much as I appreciate them, they're there every year, and now they won't be taxiing any more. Personally it's the museum stuff they drag out that is more interesting, but this has been hit and miss with poor positioning blighting last year's lot in particular. This year, I'd say I'm only looking forward to the EAP (which if I recall correctly is to be parked in a fairly clutter-free spot) as the Hurricane is not particularly unique on static, nor is the Harrier GR9 given the number of other Harriers also on show as part of the engineering school's collection. I realise the team are limited by logistics as to what they can get out of the museum, but it would be nice if some of the aircraft more unique to the Cosford Museum could be prioritized in future (as they seem to have been in the past).

While I'm on the static, personally I'm not too inspired by it. Yes it's nice to see lots of RAF stuff but a lot of them are fairly dull; it's just a shame the Belgians had to cancel their NH-90, as just like last year's Alouette that could have been the star of the static. The visiting civilians yes fit the themes, but are also fairly dull (the Bird Dogs don't seem worthy of the hype personally...) The only civvie visiting that I'm vaguely interested in is the O-2 Skymaster as it's unique and got character (shame it can't join in with the finale).

Finally, have we had any indication as to which of the finale acts are or aren't also flying individual displays throughout the day, as the website isn't clear? I assume most are flying in both?
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

I must be missing something, the RAF are sending every display team they have, plus more.

Shyft87

Post by Shyft87 »

Pringles wrote:
Shyft87 wrote:For example, while yes they're static; Cosford will be displaying Jags and Harriers... what other shows can boast this?

As much as I appreciate them, they're there every year

I get that mate; Admittedly I'm a little jaded by it myself. The point I was trying to make however is at least Cosford has these airframes to display unlike other sites, and definitely some other shows.

Personally I can't see the point in all the black and yellow Helo's but thats just my own stance.

Russ

Post by Russ »

Shyft87 wrote:there are currently 24... thats twenty-four c130's in the RAF fleet.

Shyft87

Post by Shyft87 »

Russ wrote:
Shyft87 wrote:there are currently 24... thats twenty-four c130's in the RAF fleet.

Happy to stand corrected; I took it off wiki... if anything 21 further justifies the point I was making :up:

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

[tweet]https://twitter.com/no1softt/status/872801205126393856[/tweet]

Anybody got any info in the Wessex ?? :whistle:

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

So will the B-1B and B-52 only carry out a single pass each?

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

[quote="CameronSys"]So will the B-1B and B-52 only carry out a single pass each?[/quote]

The B-52 was down to do 3 passes with different configurations each time last year so I assume that 3 passes is the norm ! :rock:

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Anyone praying for a high speed, burner pass from the B-1??
Nikon D500

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

I wouldn't get too excited on the USAF flypasts,the weather forecasts I have seen both say rain.This may put a dampner on things like last year,excuse the pun.

scottspencer

Post by scottspencer »

Its already changed quite a few times, I usually go with what it says day before.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

I usually go with what happens with the weather at the time.

Living most of my life in Shropshire I've seen plenty of Hercules fly pasts, both at shows and out on opps etc. So the much discussed (if thats the right word) cancellation of the RAF heavy makes little difference to me. It's certainly not something to get upset about.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Pringles wrote:This year, I'd say I'm only looking forward to the EAP (which if I recall correctly is to be parked in a fairly clutter-free spot)

[tweet]https://twitter.com/peterreoch/status/872806687757017088[/tweet]

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Lucasjmet15 wrote:Anybody got any info in the Wessex ?? :whistle:

That was meant to be a surprise for everyone on Sunday..! :facepalm:

One change today is that the RAF Puma HC2 will now be arriving and departing during the flying display, parking on the grass flightline. :up: