RAF T-6 First Flight

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Albion143

RAF T-6 First Flight

Post by Albion143 »

Don't know whether this has been covered elsewhere but cant find anything!!

http://militaryaviationreview.com/first ... to-the-air

cg_341

Re: RAF T-6 First Flight

Post by cg_341 »

Probably. It was pretty common in years gone by for the MOD to ignore what was best, and choose what was British. Note these two statements from Wikipedia:

During its production run, Shorts commonly promoted the airframe as being "100% British-built".

In order to meet RAF requirements, the EMB-312 has some 900 modifications reducing commonality with the original aircraft to only 50%

And not to mention this: https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFA ... 200479.PDF

UK production of the successful aircraft is required.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Are the RAF going to be designating them as Harvard's like the Canadians have done with theirs?

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

I'm struggling to take in that the Royal Air Force of today only requires an order of ten airframes to fulfill the contract?

Boy that's a huge shrinkage from my serving days....
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Synthetic training. You just don't need real aircraft any more...

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

The Tucano deal was also to keep us in with the Brazillians after the Falklands war.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

I'm not sure relations with the Brazilians was a factor. Buying the Tucano was entirely a political decision, because it brought skilled employment and investment to Northern Ireland. Both were desperately needed in the province. The RAF wanted the PC-9, which Pilatus pretty much designed to meet the Air Staff Target without the 900-odd modifications needed on the EMB.312.

Fast forward to now, and with the T-6 being a quite different creature to the PC-9, I am of the opinion that we once again have the wrong aircraft. The PC-21 is a more capable machine in my eyes -and much better looking.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

After talking to aircrew at RAF Valley the RAF wanted the PC-21, but the beancounters/ government decided the T-6 was "best"

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

No surprise there. Typical pandering to the US instead of buying what they actually need. The T-6 can be added on to the ever growing list of Airseeker, P-8 and F-35.
Why buy what you want when you can buy what you don't want cheap.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Ouragan wrote:I'm not sure relations with the Brazilians was a factor. Buying the Tucano was entirely a political decision, because it brought skilled employment and investment to Northern Ireland. Both were desperately needed in the province. The RAF wanted the PC-9, which Pilatus pretty much designed to meet the Air Staff Target without the 900-odd modifications needed on the EMB.312.

Fast forward to now, and with the T-6 being a quite different creature to the PC-9, I am of the opinion that we once again have the wrong aircraft. The PC-21 is a more capable machine in my eyes -and much better looking.

It was not long after the Falklands these were selected, and a rumour doing the rounds at the time was the Brazillians were selected in case the RAF's planes needed somewhere to divert if Stanley was shut. A bit of political play, along with getting them built in Belfast, as they differ from the Brazillian product.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.