What are UKARians watching on TV?

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 02 May 2017, 7:14 pm

But unless you watch them, you won't know if they're rubbish or not.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Tue 02 May 2017, 8:35 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:But unless you watch them, you won't know if they're rubbish or not.

Agreed, Why would you trust some muppets opinion..

Same with music, I watch/ listen to what I like not what someone else tells me..

New series of Taskmaster for me.. absolute nonsense but strangely compelling..
borismorris

Postby AlexC on Wed 03 May 2017, 9:40 am

Currently watching Boardwalk Empire on box sets (assume it was originally on Sky or similar?) on season three at the moment. Great series, all the actors are brilliant, especially Steve Buscemi.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby The Baron on Wed 03 May 2017, 12:05 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:But unless you watch them, you won't know if they're rubbish or not.

Because I look through the EPG and rarely find anything that makes me think "Ooh! I want to watch that!" Therefore, to me, it's mostly rubbish. Reality TV, game shows Britain's Got A Bunch If Morons etc don't interest me in the slightest. I did watch SS GB and found it OK, but I prefer the book.
Still, one man's rubbish is another man's treasure.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby borismorris on Wed 03 May 2017, 12:53 pm

But then you can't always judge a book by its cover can you...?
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 03 May 2017, 1:02 pm

So "nothing!" doesn't mean nothing, then......
Brevet Cable

Postby Spiny Norman on Wed 03 May 2017, 1:50 pm

There's a good documentary series on Netflix called Five Came Back about Hollywood film directors that were employed to make propaganda films for the US war effort. Some interesting insights into how it all came about and how they did it.

I didn't realise but the director of the original Memphis Belle, William Wyler, was Jewish and if he'd been shot down with the B-17 crews he flew with he wouldn't have been making any more movies...

It's only 3 episodes and worth a watch.
Spiny Norman

Postby The Baron on Wed 03 May 2017, 4:07 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:So "nothing!" doesn't mean nothing, then......

At the moment nothing really does mean nothing. There is currently nothing on TV I find worth watching. :smile:
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby borismorris on Wed 03 May 2017, 4:55 pm

The Baron wrote:

At the moment nothing really does mean nothing. There is currently nothing on TV I find worth watching. :smile:

But you've decided that from someone else's opinion. Isn't it better to try for yourself? You never know, you might unearth your new favourite show. :s
borismorris

Postby The Baron on Wed 03 May 2017, 5:08 pm

borismorris wrote:
The Baron wrote:

But you've decided that from someone else's opinion. Isn't it better to try for yourself? You never know, you might unearth your new favourite show. :s

Me? I've not used anybodies opinion other than my own. If the blurb on the EPG doesn't grab me I won't watch. Nobodies opinion but mine.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 10 May 2017, 6:48 pm

Final series of 'Hell On Wheels'.
Shame it's ended, but at least it went out on a high ( and still rumours of a possible sequel )
Producers must have tried to see how many Western clichés they could fit in......
Baddies get their come-uppance ? Check ( and if you thought the hanging scene in 'Black Sails' was gratuitous, it's got nothing on the one in 'HOW' )
Archetypal drunken saloon brawl ? Check.
Hero involved in a shoot-out ? Check.

Like some other series which were cut short, there are a lot of loose ends in the final episode ( deliberately so in this case ) which may annoy some people.
Brevet Cable

Postby DerekF on Tue 16 May 2017, 6:59 am

After watching Ken Burns excellent documentary about the American Civil War last year, I noticed Netflix had his history of Prohibition available. What a fascinating story. A story of how a misguided government policy can have so many unintended consequences. I then watched his series called "The War2", a history of the involvement of four typical US towns in WW2, another fascinating, moving and, at times, brutal series. I know it tells the story of WW2 from an American point of view so it starts in 1941 rather than 1939 but that doesn't lessen its impact. Both series are well worth watching.
DerekF

Postby CJS on Mon 22 May 2017, 9:43 pm

3 Girls - further proof that the BBC very very much still has 'it'. Stunning, harrowing, moving, depressing and uplifting all at once.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Pringles on Mon 22 May 2017, 10:00 pm

CJS wrote:3 Girls - further proof that the BBC very very much still has 'it'. Stunning, harrowing, moving, depressing and uplifting all at once.

Once again I wholeheartedly concur, very well acted throughout including the incredibly difficult yet convincing part of the girls/young women. I'm glad that the issue has had its profile raised, and I hear that a petition has taken off to have the primary safe-sex worker recognised and rewarded for her efforts that have since been overlooked :clap:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Wed 31 May 2017, 10:36 pm

American Gods on Amazon and the third season of Better Call Saul. Both absolutely magnificent, as once again the streaming services blow traditional TV out of the water.

American Gods is incredibly good, and worthy of all the hype, while the pace of BCS has picked up noticeably with lots of Breaking Bad characters and situations beginning to emerge.

A real golden age of dramas.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby CJS on Fri 02 Jun 2017, 9:18 pm

'A Time to Live' on the iPlayer. Watch that and then try to complain about display axes at Cosford.

Beautifully made documentary from 'our' good old BBC.

Again.
CJS

Postby Tommy on Fri 02 Jun 2017, 9:20 pm

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Better Call Saul.

Yes!! :rock: :rock:

(Online) TV drama is so bloody good right now.. :king:

Can't wait for Thrones in July.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby CJS on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 7:33 pm

Not the TV I know but The Horne Section on Radio 4 last night had me literally crying with laughter. Genius, especially the last song.
CJS

Postby DerekF on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 8:12 pm

Sense8 on Netflix was excellent. Just finished seasons 1 and 2.
DerekF

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 8:47 pm

Both series of 'Rome'.....again :biggrin:
Because the next series of 'GofT', 'Vikings' & 'TWD' haven't been released on DVD yet.
Brevet Cable

Postby TKK 140 on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 8:57 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Both series of 'Rome'.....again :biggrin:
Because the next series of 'GofT', 'Vikings' & 'TWD' haven't been released on DVD yet.

Tried Black Sails? It's an antidote to POTC
TKK 140

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 10:00 pm

Yep, seen all the ones that are out on DVD so far :up:
Brevet Cable

Postby T_J on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 6:49 pm

Heads up for the fifth season of Cold War Spy Drama The Americans - ITV Encore (Channel 123) Monday 12th June at 10pm.

The fifth season of FX’s cold war spy drama The Americans will receive its UK premiere on ITV Encore on Monday June 12th at 10pm, it has been announced.

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2017/05/itv-enc ... -season-5/
T_J

Postby maltwoser on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 8:02 pm

I've already got that on series record! One of the best things around at the minute.
maltwoser

Postby toom317 on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 8:58 pm

Just finished watching all 6 seasons of "Justified". Quite a few binge sessions to get through it, and always wanting to see the next episode when I eventually did stop a session. Really enjoyed it and will probably watch it again some time in the future.

Just started "Fortitude" season 2, and wished I'd watched season 1 again beforehand, as I've lost the plot a bit, but still a very good watch.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic