Duxford Flying Legends Review

Announcements from UK Airshow Review and our partners
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Duxford Flying Legends Review

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Great Expectations" - Andy Evans spent his Sunday at IWM Duxford and provides a Flying Legends newcomer's personal account and review for UK Airshow Review.

Image Image Image Image Image

TKK 140

Re: Duxford Flying Legends Review

Post by TKK 140 »

Thanks for the report Andy, you are hard to please. Fortunately having selected to go on the Saturday months ago and being blessed with excellent weather made for a great day out, but very much pot luck, we all know that before we book. However remember that the reason that on the day tickets are not available and the cause can be traced back to the complete chaos caused during the Sunday of the visit of the two Lancaster bombers. That's why it's not available to leave it to the last minute anymore.

The accompanying pictures taken on a non airshow day is strange, as is dwelling on the red arrows display and the RAF flight lines in the central three paragraphs is a distraction, rather than concentrating on the shear breath of aviation history in front of the visitor. Let's face it the Arrows are a plus but hardly the main draw here. It is a shame if they caused some angst amoung their more avid fans.

"Surprised it trades on piston engine fighters" Its not called "Flying piston engined fighter legends" but what about the Bearcat, P40, Corsair, Sea Fury, `Seafire Wildcat etc they are all what the show is all about. Frensi did not fly on the Saturday, unless I missed it changing the camera batteries, but that's just one of those things, it's good it flew on the Sunday.

Maybe we are just too spoiled with historic aircraft to appreciate them fully. The Sea Fury "Joker" display on the Saturday is one of the best high performance piston displays I have ever seen, and perhaps on the Sunday too? Let's not forget the 4 Hurricanes on the Saturday in formation, and was it 5 Hurricanes on the Sunday, which surely deserved a mention.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

TKK 140 wrote:The accompanying pictures taken on a non airshow day is strange

Best avoid the RIAT review then...
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Mike

Post by Mike »

I think he must have gone home after the Reds. He seems to have been at a completely different show from the rest of us!

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:

Is it non airshow day review now for photos now?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

TKK 140 wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:

What you just said doesn't make any sense. In an attempt to decipher, the answer is yes(?). Where staffers are present and able to provide photos of arrivals, UKAR has always included non-airshow day photos of arrivals and departures in reviews. It's a very bizarre issue to take with our reviews. Especially after 21 years of writing them...

We've got reviews on our webpage going back to 2005; find me a single RIAT review (just as an example) that doesn't have arrivals/departures (i.e. non airshow day) photos.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Tommy wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:

What you just said doesn't make any sense. In an attempt to decipher, the answer is yes(?). Where staffers are present and able to provide photos of arrivals, UKAR has always included non-airshow day photos of arrivals and departures in reviews. It's a very bizarre issue to take with our reviews. Especially after 21 years of writing them...

We've got reviews on our webpage going back to 2005; find me a single RIAT review (just as an example) that doesn't have arrivals/departures (i.e. non airshow day) photos.

It's a perfectly relevant and reasonable point to make, not one picture from Duxford during the actual Airshow. Bet Brian had some non Dslr pictures. As for Riat photos before during and after the Airshow, surely?

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

TKK 140 wrote:
Tommy wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:

It's a perfectly relevant and reasonable point to make, not one picture from Duxford during the actual Airshow. Bet Brian had some non Dslr pictures. As for RIAT photos before during and after the Airshow, surely?

...every one of Andy's photos in the article were taken on the Sunday show.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Wissam24 wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:
Tommy wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:

It's a perfectly relevant and reasonable point to make, not one picture from Duxford during the actual Airshow. Bet Brian had some non Dslr pictures. As for RIAT photos before during and after the Airshow, surely?

...every one of Andy's photos in the article were taken on the Sunday show.

Perhaps the credits for the photo's is incorrect then? If so apologies to Andy.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Everything credited to Andy Evans was taken on Sunday. Anything credited to Dan Butcher was taken on Friday. What about that is difficult to understand?

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Everything credited to Andy Evans was taken on Sunday. Anything credited to Dan Butcher was taken on Friday. What about that is difficult to understand?

Articles here normally give credits to or a statement like "additional photos by" what's hard to understand about that?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

TKK 140 wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:Everything credited to Andy Evans was taken on Sunday. Anything credited to Dan Butcher was taken on Friday. What about that is difficult to understand?

Articles here normally give credits to or a statement like "additional photos by" what's hard to understand about that?

It would help if you could post in legible English, but as you seemingly require everything to be spoon fed, the by-line says...

Andy Evans spent his Sunday at IWM Duxford and provides a Flying Legends newcomer's personal account and review for UK Airshow Review. Friday photos from Dan Butcher.

At no point does that say we only have photos from one person, nor does it say we only have photos from one day. It's Andy's review, to which I have supplied additional images, taken on a different day to which he attended. As stated in my last post, if it is credited to Andy, then it was taken on Sunday. If not, it was taken on Friday. It's very simple.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:

It would help if you could post in legible English, but as you seemingly require everything to be spoon fed, the by-line says...

Andy Evans spent his Sunday at IWM Duxford and provides a Flying Legends newcomer's personal account and review for UK Airshow Review. Friday photos from Dan Butcher.

At no point does that say we only have photos from one person, nor does it say we only have photos from one day. It's Andy's review, to which I have supplied additional images, taken on a different day to which he attended. As stated in my last post, if it is credited to Andy, then it was taken on Sunday. If not, it was taken on Friday. It's very simple.

It's not obvious unless you click on each individual picture,then you see the credit. Normally credits are shown in the written review thus: Photos by xxxx with additional Friday photos from A.N. Other. It would be helpful if you tried to be less condescending and look at it from another's view objectively, just for once.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

They're shown however we choose to do them...

Dan Ledwood attended a distinctly blustery RAF Cosford and reports for UK Airshow Review. Photography by the UKAR Staff Team.

There's one name mentioned there. There are photos from at least four people in the Cosford review. You have to click on each image to find out who took it. What's the big deal?

The Legends review contains images from two sources. Both are named, each image is credited accordingly. End of discussion. If that's too complex to follow, that's your problem, not mine.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Is TKK deliberately missing the point so as to be as awkward as possible?

I have no issues with the review, it's one person's perspective like it or not and to me the photos are an aside, as it's a review - you want photos? There are plenty of photo threads from Legends.
What I still don't understand is some people's beliefs that any show at Duxford can do no wrong. If Andy wasn't impressed that's his view. Accept it and move on. No doubt Elliott will review it separately and will find it the best show this year.
Undoubtedly the show will actually be between the two - some marvellous set pieces and solos, large numbers of impressive vintage aircraft etc but with room for improvement in communication and display lines.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

The Baron wrote:Is TKK deliberately missing the point so as to be as awkward as possible?

Nope. Every post in every thread is the same.

He's in the right hobby, everything goes right over his head.

If he's not a spoof member, I'd be amazed.

st24

Post by st24 »

TKK 140 wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:

It's not obvious unless you click on each individual picture,then you see the credit. Normally credits are shown in the written review thus: Photos by xxxx with additional Friday photos from A.N. Other. It would be helpful if you tried to be less condescending and look at it from another's view objectively, just for once.

Good God man you a write a fairly coherent response to the review, some of which I fully agree with and then you post complete and utter garbage and argue about something that's as plain as day ! why??! :dizzy:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

The Baron wrote:What I still don't understand is some people's beliefs that any show at Duxford can do no wrong. If Andy wasn't impressed that's his view. Accept it and move on. No doubt Elliott will review it separately and will find it the best show this year.

I'll bite, as I've been singled out by name!

I actually thought the May show was a pretty drab affair. September is looking better, but the IWM are totally bodging the Battle of Britain theme.

Thought Legends was grand. Not the best edition, but in the round, most enjoyable. No doubt I'll be vilified for enjoying something I spend huge amounts of time and money on (where is Slappywag these days?), rather than picking apart the minutiae, but it's to be expected.

Best show of the year? I'll get back to you after Race Day...