Antonov AN30 @ Lakenheath #2

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Bradley@Norwich

Antonov AN30 @ Lakenheath #2

Post by Bradley@Norwich »

Evening All,

My previous post was deleted by a moderator, but I have since had permission from LN Strike Eagle to re-post it.

It transpired that the photo that the thread was about had been stolen from a photographer in Moscow. It then had a black square drawn on the belly to simulate the hatch being open, the EXIF data modified and then it was uploaded to flickr by a member of this forum in attempt to convince people he had photographed it at Lakenheath. It was suspected and suggested by many other forum uses in my previous thread that this was what had happened. The photo has since been deleted from flickr by the OP, presumably due to him being rumbled for the theft. The aircraft never flew down the runway at RAF Lakenheath and simply past overhead at 4000ft as some of the replies on my previous thread confirmed.

My original question is posted bellow for those interested in what it said.

I was told the other day that an Antonov AN30 Open Skies passed through RAF Lakenheath. I have seen a couple of photos of this aircraft in the area and I was wondering if anyone could advise if it is likely to come back at any time? Equally can anyone tell me how low it was and exactly what it did when it visited?

I have seen this photo which shows the aircraft at around 4000 feet over the top.
https://flic.kr/p/WVJYZx

Elsewhere I have seen this photo of it climbing out from an approach. I'm assuming this due to its flaps being extended and the nose high attitude??

So I wasn't sure what it did when it was at Lakenheath. Equally I am unsure about the photo above in that it looks incredibly similar to a photo taken of the same aircraft departing Moscow in 2016. I would go as far to say that it's identical, right down to the shadows and propeller locations. So i'm unsure if this photo above is authentic?
https://flic.kr/p/SEirx2

So does anyone know if this aircraft actually did an approach and I missed the chance to get it, or did it just sail over the top and go nowhere close to the runway?
I would love to the get the chance to take a photo of it should it do an approach as what is depicted above!

Regards

Bradley
I like my photos, but its not worth sitting in the rain all day!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Antonov AN30 @ Lakenheath #2

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Apologies for the confusion with this thread Bradley - not quite sure why the original was removed.

As stated yesterday, the image is clearly someone else's and had been badly doctored to mislead. Open Skies aircraft make passes at altitude to conduct surveillance of military establishments, so an overshoot is unlikely I would have though. Brize Norton is the place to go if you want to get a shot of the aircraft on finals, and Fighter Control is probably the best bet to track movements. I'm not sure how often, or how long their stays in the UK are, but I'm sure someone here can help you with that.

Just on the subject of your remark in the first thread about EXIF data, as I say, it takes nothing more than pasting an image over a photo that already contains EXIF. If you care to download and check, the following print screen of this very thread has EXIF data claiming it to be taken on June 10th 2017, on an EOS 50D and EF 70-300mm L IS with the settings 150mm, 1/1600th, f/8 at ISO 400...

IMG_5684 by Dan B, on Flickr
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

CJS

Post by CJS »

Nevermind all that Dan, is the soundtrack to a film about a carton hedgehog really any good? :-o
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

CJS wrote:Nevermind all that Dan, is the soundtrack to a film about a carton hedgehog really any good? :-o

No film, it's a new game. And yes, it's grand. :lol:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Not having played computer games for 20 years (unless you count championship manager and GEFS!) I assume game music has improved somewhat since 1997 then?! :-)

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

CJS wrote:Not having played computer games for 20 years (unless you count championship manager and GEFS!) I assume game music has improved somewhat since 1997 then?! :-)

Some serious thread drift here, but 1998's Metal Gear Solid had an epic soundtrack.

8-bit and 16-bit soundtracks of the early 90s are iconic.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Couldn't agree more actually. Lots of things from the 90s are, not least the games themselves.

Anyway sorry, back to the thread...

...in cases like this does the genuine op have legal rights to have the stolen photo removed or does the fact it was doctored make it (legally) a new picture?

I'm not suggesting there is anything morally acceptable about what was done, but legally where would I stand if someone did this to one of my many award winning ( :-P ) photos?

flyguy1992

Post by flyguy1992 »

Stealing a fellow photographers image and editting it slightly to claim as your own is a new low. This same member commented on another post a few days ago claiming that not evereyone on this forum is genuine. As far as i can see a member that would behave like this is NOT GENUINE!!! Is this the only photo that has been stolen? Who knows?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

So can I again as that "tink_norfolk", who's a member here, explains himself?

Private Custard

Post by Private Custard »

He appears to have deleted his flickr account.

At least there's a good ending to this one. Shame though, I wanted to tear him up before he disappeared. I'll get back under my bridge now and await another reason to post!

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:So can I again as that "tink_norfolk", who's a member here, explains himself?

Chris, that doesn't make any sense.

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

Big Eric wrote:
Hampshire Aviation wrote:So can I again as that "tink_norfolk", who's a member here, explains himself?

Chris, that doesn't make any sense.

I think if you add the missing 'k', it does.
HTAFC

Bradley@Norwich

Post by Bradley@Norwich »

Private Custard wrote:He appears to have deleted his flickr account.

At least there's a good ending to this one. Shame though, I wanted to tear him up before he disappeared. I'll get back under my bridge now and await another reason to post!

You appear to be correct! No trace of his Flickr account anymore.
I like my photos, but its not worth sitting in the rain all day!