Where has XH558 thread gone?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
JetMan

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Post by JetMan »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Does a severed cockpit need a thread on an airshows forum?

Given the description of the "Aviation Waffle" sub-forum reads: "Discuss all things 'aviation'..." I cant see a reason why it shouldn't have its own thread, and it does!

SalFish

Post by SalFish »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Does a severed cockpit need a thread on an airshows forum?

Mind you, good that they're getting some practice in for when the same fate comes to XH558.

This is in Aviation forums> Aviation Waffle so not sure why it shouldn't be here? Haven't read all the rules myself though, maybe there is one saying every thread has to be about airshows?

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Reds Rolling wrote:Boring! Zzzzzzz :sleepy:

You're still reading this thread though and making a reply!!

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Xm657 wrote:

Read the thread title. I thought there might be some news about the official XH558 thread, but alas it's just more off topic clutter. :roll:

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

At the risk of circling back still further into this mess. The issue with the secret last flight was (and I fully believe this) due the issues of crowds decending on Doncaster and the airport and police passing on the costs to VttST. Even inviting a wider audience of close members would have increased the risk of the secret getting out via social media.

Why they didn't take this public access problem as an obvious sign Doncaster was the wrong place for her land finally we can only assume was down to greed, ego and stupidity. But then everyone apart from the management of VttST knew Doncaster was crazy long before the final flight fiasco.

With regard to the questions about how much the payroll currently stands at, I agree Brevet, I wouldn't hold your breath. Frankly what does it matter? Anyone with a few brain cells would realise that if the answer is anything more than £0.00 there is something wrong. As for what the VttST now is, and the costs involved in maintaining an aircraft of this size in good condition (never mind running condition), no one should be drawing a salary from the meagre funds people are donating to their beloved Vulcan. And the more people find out what the money is used for surely the donations will likewise dry up. The concern I have is VttST are currently milking 558's fans dry to pay themselves a wage and of absolutely no benefit to 558. This could lead to a permanent loss of trust and disallusionment in any organisation that might try and look after 558 in the future. Unless I see some actual progress for the future in the new year I now believe 558 would be better off (or no worse off) if the VttST ended.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Reds Rolling wrote:
Xm657 wrote:

Read the thread title. I thought there might be some news about the official XH558 thread, but alas it's just more off topic clutter. :roll:

I don't know why I keep coming back here tbh. There's nothing to discuss it's just the same old stuff. We really need to wait and see what happens with 558 next year.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

I seem to recall that 'in good condition' isn't one of the things the HL grant stipulated......... wasn't it 'flight ready status' or some such wordage?

Or do those words actually come from the VTTs?
Got to love Russianhardware

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

The official Facebook page is a great source of amusement. Idiots demanding it fly again, along with spelling and grammar to shame an infant. Angry idiots too.

frank

Post by frank »

Xm657 wrote:
Reds Rolling wrote:
Xm657 wrote:

I don't know why I keep coming back here tbh. There's nothing to discuss it's just the same old stuff. We really need to wait and see what happens with 558 next year.

I guess that's why he said Boring Zzzzzzz :sleepy:

:biggrin:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:The official Facebook page is a great source of amusement. Idiots demanding it fly again, along with spelling and grammar to shame an infant. Angry idiots too.

Bit like UKAR then... :shock: :tongue:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

That would be the official Facebook page which - from recent posts on the VTTS forum - has had yet another bout of severe pruning to remove all the negative posts....and which is now getting posts on there complaining that their posts are being deleted ( no doubt theses will be deleted too :lol: )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:The official Facebook page is a great source of amusement. Idiots demanding it fly again, along with spelling and grammar to shame an infant. Angry idiots too.

No thanks, there's enough nonsense spouted here, but it sounds like you had an amazing Friday night anyway! :lol:

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere on here, but I hear that Black Mike the retired and potentially runnable Phantom, will now NOT be going to Bruntingthorpe, as had been planned for some time. I don't know why the change of plan but perhaps Mr Pleming had a crystal ball after all regarding the future of Bruntingthorpe.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Xm657 wrote:Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere on here, but I hear that Black Mike the retired and potentially runnable Phantom, will now NOT be going to Bruntingthorpe, as had been planned for some time. I don't know why the change of plan but perhaps Mr Pleming had a crystal ball after all regarding the future of Bruntingthorpe.

Its going to Cosford for a tidy up and to be used in next years RAF's centenary.
So yes its not going Brunti this year.

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

Xm657 wrote:Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere on here, but I hear that Black Mike the retired and potentially runnable Phantom, will now NOT be going to Bruntingthorpe, as had been planned for some time. I don't know why the change of plan but perhaps Mr Pleming had a crystal ball after all regarding the future of Bruntingthorpe.

A thread has been started, yes-

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78705

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

vulcan558 wrote: its not going Brunti this year.

Or any year according to the British Phantom Aviation Group.-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3453094 ... 2321664224

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Indeed. The significance to the 558 debate being the Phantom group state it will never being going to Bruntingthorpe. Now if this is because of space issues at Bruntingthorpe or a future threat to to the collection it does make Mr Pleming's choice seem not a silly afterall.

I know David Walton stated some years ago in a magazine interview he would live a Phantom at Bruntingthorpe and has tried several times to get one. So loosing this last chance is surprising to here and makes me wonder what's happened.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

OK, I'll bite.

So what is the difference with any other average Facebook page?
CJS wrote:Bit like UKAR then... :shock: :tongue:
No, not as long as we have you with us :wink:
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

CJS

Post by CJS »

Why thank you my learned friend. :-) ;-)

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

I note from today's email that 558 will shortly go into "winter storage", with the last engine run for 2017 taking place in a few weeks.

I hope this winter storage includes inhibiting the engines as several months of outdoor inactivity with no anti det runs won't be good for her.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Why put her in winter storage so soon, they have just got het doing engine runs and getting income coming in.
Why stop with these runs that seem to be so popular and sell out every time.

Still plenty of time until winter. Even then they can still make the anti det engine runs into sell out engine run days.
No news on the new hangar yet then.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Yes my thoughts exactly. Only three engine runs by my count. Its a long time to go without anti det runs especially outdoors. Unless they are going to run her but without the public access which would surely be in curing costs while sacrificing income. Seems odd.

Skymonster

Post by Skymonster »

Winter storage? I though the hangar was meant to be built by the end of the year! Oh wait, yes, of course, they haven't even got planning permission for it yet. I think it's about time the trust started being a little more open and communicative about the future.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Hahaha... :-o

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

"Winter storage" is a rather grandiose term for "a bigger tarpaulin", surely?