Tyre question

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
tankbuster

Tyre question

Post by tankbuster »

How many take offs and landings does an average airliner tyre last?
Last edited by tankbuster on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

cg_341

Re: Tyre question

Post by cg_341 »

In its life? Before the next A, B, C, or D check? Aircraft life is measured by cycles, not landings.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

cg_341 wrote:In its life? Before the next A, B, C, or D check? Aircraft life is measured by cycles, not landings.

Sorry I got my question wrong I was mean to be asking about tyres, I'll edit it.
Trevor C

ted633

Post by ted633 »

We had a 787 in the hangar tonight, and needed both nose wheels & 2 main wheels changing. Your question has always intrigued me as well, so I checked the system to see when they were fitted. Both nose wheels were fitted on 02/03/17, one main wheel was fitted on 07/03/17 and the other on 27/02/17. Surprised me to find out that the mains lasted the same as the nose, always thought the nose wheels lasted much longer! As for number of landings (cycles), over the 180 (ish) days the wheels were fitted, the aircraft would have flown probably 2 cycles per day (out & back). Allowing for maintenance inputs ( 2 x A checks + casualty), my guess would be between 320 & 340 landings.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

ted633 wrote: Allowing for maintenance inputs ( 2 x A checks + casualty), my guess would be between 320 & 340 landings.

That's quite an impressive figure considering the forces involved.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

ted633 wrote:We had a 787 in the hangar tonight, and needed both nose wheels & 2 main wheels changing. Your question has always intrigued me as well, so I checked the system to see when they were fitted. Both nose wheels were fitted on 02/03/17, one main wheel was fitted on 07/03/17 and the other on 27/02/17. Surprised me to find out that the mains lasted the same as the nose, always thought the nose wheels lasted much longer! As for number of landings (cycles), over the 180 (ish) days the wheels were fitted, the aircraft would have flown probably 2 cycles per day (out & back). Allowing for maintenance inputs ( 2 x A checks + casualty), my guess would be between 320 & 340 landings.

That's incredible. What prompted me to ask was the very heavy smell of burning rubber when I was at Luton the other day as each landing produced considerable smoke. Each landing like that must take off rubber at least that's what I would think. A bit different to Formula 1 isn't it.
Trevor C

NickB

Post by NickB »

Wow that is an impressive total of landings before a tyre change - not a direct comparison of course but he mighty EE Lightning could wear out an entire set after a single take off & landing in extreme crosswinds... glad I wasn't paying!

AlphaVictor

Post by AlphaVictor »

Tankbuster

There are various machines and methods used to clean off residual tyre material from the runway.

AV

BEX

Post by BEX »

Something else to consider re airliner tyres.

Apart from the set that came with the aeroplane when it was delivered brand new, most other tyres will be re-treads, albeit remanufactured to the same standard are the originals. The carcasses are re-used... again ... and again. :smile:

Cheers
BEX