XV582 NOT going to Bruntingthorpe...

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Craig

Re: XV582 NOT going to Bruntingthorpe...*UPDATED

Post by Craig »

GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
Craig wrote:This also raises somewhat worrying questions about the VC-10s that are GJD Services owned and clearly won't be moving anywhere. It's be desperately sad if anything were to happen to them!

I think there's a lot of conclusions being made on this thread based on rumours and conjecture. GJD are one of several aircraft owners at Bruntingthorpe and differ in that they are also a day today business. There are many reasons they may or may not leave Bruntingthorpe, and not all of these may relate to the airfield, its other uses or its owners. As others have pointed out, Gary Spoors owns aircraft dotted around the country, so if GJD moved, why should there necessarily be any threat to all his airframes at Bruntingthorpe?

Maybe it's actually best, like in many cases, to actually wait and see what's actually happening. :smile:

No conclusions drawn by me, simply asked the question, and it has been answered, and I'm relieved to see in a positive fashion. 241 is very dear to me personally and I'm delighted whatever business decisions are afoot do not affect the status of the aircraft at Brunty. When it comes down to it that's what most of us are worried about and uncertainty can breed a little worry. I'm glad to hear the confirmation '241 is secure and wish Gary well in his business endeavours.

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

Craig wrote:No conclusions drawn by me, simply asked the question, and it has been answered, and I'm relieved to see in a positive fashion.

No worries Craig, I wasn't aiming at you in particular, but your post allowed me to elaborate better! :up: :smile:

Rebecca_1984

Post by Rebecca_1984 »

tache3 wrote:Meanwhile, BPAG are reporting that they are involved with someone called APRES (Aircraft Preservation Restoration and Education Society) about whom little information seems to be available.

Another Facebook group that seems to want to do all sorts but never seems to make any progress, this little lot of you want to read it all is from the groups Facebook page,

[quote]For the public benefit to help preserve and enrich our aviation heritage by promoting the preservation and restoration of historic and/or significant aircraft (and the retention and advancement of related mechanical and engineering skills) and to thereby promote the education of people by encouraging and facilitating the display of and their exposure to preserved and restored historic and/or significant aircraft in such ways as the charity trustees think fit, including by:

(1) securing funding via memberships, grants, donations, lottery and government funding to enable the charity to help fund existing and new aviation preservation, restoration, education projects and museums, for the ultimate benefit of the general public.
(2) working with the Government, CAA, military, other aviation authorities, heritage organisations and the aviation industry towards restoration & preservation of historic and/or significant aircraft.
(3) helping to fund aviation restoration and preservation projects, enabling them to concentrate on their project, rather than the fund-raising.
(4) setting up a “searchable interactive database” of museums detailing aircraft types, location by county and possibly town and provide information about entry fees .
(5) establishing a UK Aviation Heritage site where Aircraft can be exhibited and flown as a UK Heritage Flight
(6) supporting other appropriate individual charities to progress their projects, and to help them with the paperwork and legal know how necessary to keep vintage aircraft flying.
(7) acquiring and funding the restoration of airframes
(8) working alongside youth organisations, the Air Cadets, where possible, to promote education and awareness of aviation engineering skills and aviation career opportunities both military and civil and to thus educate and inspire the younger generation and help keep the necessary skills alive
(9) “networking” all the museums and projects with which the charity is involved, allowing them to talk to each other and help each other and provide a forum where projects and museums can talk freely to each other.

copyright: Aviation Preservation Restoration and Education Society (APRES)

www.apres.org.uk

website coming soon..
TAGS
/quote]

Xm657

Re: XV582 NOT going to Bruntingthorpe...

Post by Xm657 »

Never heard of that. Sounds like the sort of thing Robert Pleming wanted to do. Maybe they should join forces.

robterry99

Post by robterry99 »

Ahhhh APRES.

They've been "coming soon" for about three years, but still haven't managed to convince the Charity Commission that they're legit. I'm sure at some point they'll start asking the public for money to fund their dreamy aims, which is when I'd really start to get concerned about their motives.

I did notice that Caz McCall (one of the "brains" behind APRES) is no longer a member of the "XV582 Black Mike" Facebook group, so maybe BPAG have seen the light?

Bizarre posts like https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/apres-carolyn-mccall do have the weird side-effect of making the UKHAT lot look vaguely credible though. :lol:

Rebecca_1984 wrote:
Another Facebook group that seems to want to do all sorts but never seems to make any progress, this little lot of you want to read it all is from the groups Facebook page,

For the public benefit to help preserve and enrich our aviation heritage by promoting the preservation and restoration of historic and/or significant aircraft (and the retention and advancement of related mechanical and engineering skills) and to thereby promote the education of people by encouraging and facilitating the display of and their exposure to preserved and restored historic and/or significant aircraft in such ways as the charity trustees think fit, including by:

[much wordy dreamy nonsense snipped to save people's sanity]

copyright: Aviation Preservation Restoration and Education Society (APRES)

http://www.apres.org.uk

website coming soon..
TAGS
/quote]

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

PeterR wrote:
iainpeden wrote:The request to use Black Mike as part of the RAF 100th anniversary celebrations leads me to speculate that RIAT2018 may have a similar display to the 2003 celebration of flight.

Since when has RIAT been held at RAF Cosford? :dizzy:

Think this was an assumption that the official 100 event is at RIAT,personally is would be great to have this and other prominent airframes at Fairford for the big anniversary show rather than a cramped and basically over crowded Cosford show,but I can also see the sense in making this the "oldies"celebration if the museum halls out airframes stored there rather than having the expense of trucking them into Fairford!