Scampton Airshow 2017

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Scampton Airshow 2017

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Saturday 9th September

I can't remember a build up to an airshow quite like this one. Excitement at its announcement, and an assumption made by me and I'm sure many others about its likely content, meant an early ticket purchase and eager anticipation for a good show to build. And it didn't build at all. One after another of the aerobatic teams, and in fact all other military assets, confirmed for Sanicole, leaving this show rather bereft. Even the UK's own forces couldn't seem to support it for one reason or another. Not the full complement of RAF, not the Army Air Corps, not the Navy.

So it was with some trepidation and a determination to enjoy it anyway that I turned up at RAF Scampton on Saturday. As it happened, I'm very pleased I did turn up. A new venue (the last time I was there was 89), brings new angles, and a different landscape. After several years of tending to visit the same shows, it was a refreshing change to see even familiar things in a different light. And a very changing light as the day's met proved!

Starting with a walk around the static, where items on display weren't necessarily all familiar

such history at RAF Scampton

I had grandstand tickets, the location of which raised my eyebrows when the site map was released; nowhere near datum. Quite strange being in a premium viewing location that far off display centre. However, the grandstand enclosure was placed at the intersection of the taxiway where the Red Arrows were parked, and that was also used as a holding point for backtracking flyers. So there was much closeup ground action that more than made up for the off centre position, great thinking from the organisers.

more or less the whole crowd line visible here, and as you can see, a healthy crowd

I could devote a thread to Rich Goodwin's display. Outstanding display flying!

the French Alpha Jet was delight too. Flown with panache and precision

After quite a strong start to the flying display, the following section was where it became paper thin. It would have been low key anyway but this Pem-broke! (at the end of the runway, blocking it)

The Global Stars meanwhile taxied out and back in without displaying after been held at the intersection for ages (fuel?), while the Calidus seemed to demonstrate Brownian motion around the datum. I'm not going to bore you with any pics of the latter! all during which, I couldn't help but swing round for another look at this line up

it was great to see the BBMF, and the Lancaster in particular, making it back in the air in time for the show. Scampton without the Lanc was unthinkable.

and the BBMF being back, you're guaranteed a lovely bottom-side!

about to get very wet now, with the rain approaching fast behind the Cat

at this point, during a downpour, the Reds taxied eight jets out, and four jets back. Gypo displayed. In the rain.

A subtle change of angle for the last hour of the show now, moving to the crowd line in front of the grandstand, for the strong finish to the flying display

and that was the flying display. The Red Arrows should really have been closing the show in this now epic late afternoon light

and finally.. 100 Squadron know how to entertain children.. give them a sticker and stand them in front of a Hawk for a photo!

which brings me to a serious point to conclude. I asked the children on the drive home what was their highlight of the day. "seeing the Red Arrows take off!", which made me think how rare it has become these days to see the Reds operating close up. Yes, the flying display was very thin, but to make the most of that, operate it off the airfield. The Typhoon and BBMF were missed opportunities to do that.

The show ground was very well set out, loads to do, entertaining and very well organised. It had the look and feel of RIAT for sure. With a bit of luck next year with military allocations this could be a cracking show. It worries me a little its set up for another clash, this time with the Czech anniversary. I will have everything crossed.

thanks for looking folks,
Nige.

tons more on flickr here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326 ... 5083112502
Last edited by Wrexham Mackem on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spotty_Jag

Re: Scampton Airshow 2017

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Great set of images! :clap:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Weather on Saturday certainly looked more pleasant than I experience Sunday! Great assortment of images, hard to pick a favourite.
Your last image sums up what the show is all about really.... For all the moaning and the criticism of the international participation etc, there's two youngsters enjoying themselves and engaging with the Royal Air Force. Bravo! :clap:

davski

Post by davski »

Lovely set of pictures, nice to fill-in the bits I missed!

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Nice set of photos :up:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Great set. I'd have gladly put up with some rain on Sunday if we had some light like that. I struggle for inspiration when everything is so flat and dull.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Great set Nige but the standouts are the 2 Typhoon shots, very dramatic and the climb out of the 727. Glad you enjoyed the day and the kids too. :smile:

Pat

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Your varied shots & narrative give a clear insight into this first effort as a Waddington alternative. As stated in my way-back post, the audience was limited by space constraints making a large show for less people inevitably more expensive per capita. The target sales were & probably remain your 'one air-show a year just around the corner' general public who, by your own experience came-away satisfied? The weather & failure of the Reds to field a whole Team seems to have been met with a shrug & "shame really, oh well!" attitude by the stoic local populace! Clearly, the DBH demographic is set.
For an opportunity to witness static quality, 'some' Red Arrows & other flying stuff, go to Scampton 2018?? For everything else go to Belgian Air Force Days on 08 & 09 September 2018 @ Kleine-Brogel AB, or 08-09 Sep Czech International Air Fest 2018 (CIAF) Hradec Králové, Czech Republic!
I'm getting advanced déjà vu here! :whistle:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Great post Nige, certainly not a bad show line up in these austere times, still feel the big mistake is its £15 overpriced per ticket. Looks like the family had a good day though. :up:

Static looks a bit tight, would love to see that Fitter - but nice and clear, Swedes certainly helped bolster it up a bit. Good looking airfield backdrop too. :smile: reds pair take off is lovely and a cracking pass from the Sentry too.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Lovely crisp images, sympathetically processed. :clap:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Nice set there. Good to see a different viewpoint as well. The grandstand looks nice and high.

yrret

Post by yrret »

Is that Buccaneer still flying?

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

A fabulous set, loving the banking Typhoon :clap: :clap: :clap:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Thanks folks, glad you enjoyed looking.

@Stagger2, yes, I agree. That said, the event can change up a gear. Its churlish of me to go back through Saturday and say, "should've done this, or that.."; but even though a couple of extra things operating locally and above all the Reds doing the sensible thing and all taxying back in, sorting out a spare, and going out later would've found that extra bit that would've made a big difference even this year.

Yes, the twinnies and I enjoyed it, and yes Peter the engagement was great, but knowing what a five hour display can present, and what I know could've really blown their socks off, has left me hoping for more next time. But as a debut event, it delivered a far more enjoyable experience than it looked on paper.

@yrret, no the Buccaneer doesn't fly. Its potentially airworthy, but won't fly until a future military contract demands it.

sdad

Post by sdad »

What about the Hunter and where does the Phantom come from, please?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

https://www.hunterteam.com/Aircraft/

The Phantom needs adding to their website, but it's a former German aircraft. It's at Scampton for use as a spares source for their flying example.

sdad

Post by sdad »

Thanks.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Nice set of image with and interesting and informative narrative. Thanks for sharing.