Where has XH558 thread gone?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
HeyfordDave111

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Not sure there has been obfuscation on purpose or not really.

They clearly stated a developer was underwriting the hangar, now the developer is nowhere to be seen, and I must wonder if he was there to start with.

Let’s be brutal here, there is no way any sane owner of a flying jet will give vtts the keys to to fly it and maintain it.
Why? Well I would have thought the owner would want a cut, and so would the vtts! Is there that much money swilling round in any aircraft at the moment? I think not, as that aircraft landed for the last time nearly 2 years ago.

Which brings us to the Canberra. Lovely aircraft and yes i’d Love to see it fly......however it ain’t 558, it has very little cache with the airshow public, or the enthusiast. Yes we’d like to see it, but would we follow it around to watch it display week in week out like some of us did with 558? No, simple really isn’t it?

Canberra us a great project but it won’t cut the financial mustard. This leaves them with pipe dreams and a 24m at the last costing, shortfall to produce the hangar ‘ museum of the north.

I am thinking this is all over bar the shouting and claiming wages from what little monies are left.

They have burdened the scrapman with the task ,albeit maybe later rather than sooner, of cutting 558 up, unless something magical happens, and I cannot see it happening.

There is no business plan. That finished 2 years ago. There is no current continuous income stream (ditto) and they have seemingly wasted 2.8m in the last 2 years.

Custodians of 558? :dizzy: :facepalm:
Got to love Russianhardware

Skymonster

Post by Skymonster »

Amazed at yesterday's news... Back at the beginning of the year, they were going to be moving 558 to another hangar by the end of the year, funded by a developer. Now, nine months have passed, a planning application has only just gone in, and it appears no developer is yet on board. A decision (note the newsletter said a decision, not an approval) is hoped for in December. So they might get approval in December to build a hangar that was going to be finished in December. And then it's going to take another year to actually built the hangar - if they've found someone to stump up £2.8m by then. So best case now is in the new hangar will open at the beginning of 2019 - the aircraft will be outside all this winter, all of next year and into next winter. It was suggested a while ago Doncaster would help expedite the planning process. Why has it taken nine months to submit planning application for something that was seemingly well advanced in its planning at the turn of the year? Meanwhile the hangar application still isn't on the Doncaster planning portal... and they have to allow 21 days for public comments among other things. Is the newts thing sorted, or will that become an obstacle that delays approval of the plans?

Are VTTST hopeless optimists? Do VTTST deliberately go around blowing sunshine up everyone's asses? Although we already realised there was going to be a delay, why are we only now finding out a process that's been running for nine months is running a year late? And is the plan sound? Who knows, but based on recent information that's been made available publically, who would have confidence in any plan VTTST puts out. Hope the mystic developer doesn't feel the same way - or maybe that's why there is no developer at present. Will the fundraising they have in place be enough to cover all of 2018 - remember, it was suggested the hangar tours and events would resume by the end of this year. Or will the begging bowl have to come out again soon? Based on recent performance, I suspect there's plenty of people who wouldn't give them a bean right now.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Anyone have the podcast to hand, don't recall off the top of my head but doesn't Dr Bob say in that that there was a developer in place to build the hangar?

Either it fell through, or was never true in the first place.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

He also said in the Podcast that David Walton would have liked 558 back at Bruntingthorpe. Yet the Q&A says 558 may not have been welcome at Bruntingthorpe. I was always warned as a child, if you're going to lie, you better have a good memory for what you've said in the past.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

The endless pages of debate the old girl still gets does amuse me. 558 is an irrelevance. Grounded, finished, dead duck. The Trust will vanish within months, and the aeroplane will be left to rot outside due to stupendous mismanagement. Nothing more to be said, move on guys.

IgnatiusJReilly

Post by IgnatiusJReilly »

Given the strings attached with the hangar development, the only investor that would make sense to me getting involved would be Peel Group.
Does anyone have any feeling or insight as to whether they're investing at the moment?
Would they typically get involved in a project like this?
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..

minnie the moocher

Post by minnie the moocher »

Xm657 wrote:He also said in the Podcast that David Walton would have liked 558 back at Bruntingthorpe. Yet the Q&A says 558 may not have been welcome at Bruntingthorpe. I was always warned as a child, if you're going to lie, you better have a good memory for what you've said in the past.

but was that 558 may not have been welcome or was it VTTS may not have been welcome?

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

DW loves the aeroplane and told me himself he'd have it back. Draw your own conclusions from that.

Neverfuel

Post by Neverfuel »

I think we are going into fiction land again guys :sad:

Stop making up your own versions of the truth.

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Neverfuel wrote:I think we are going into fiction land again guys.

The elephant in the room (or Vulcan,) is the fact that what is being proposed is nothing more than an air museum with one exhibit, two if you include the Canberra. The exhibit is not unique. How on earth can you build a business case for such a set up when museums with far more and varied exhibits have disappeared in the past? That the trust is still called "Vulcan to the Sky" is disingenuous as it implies to uninformed enthusiastic donators that XH558 will fly again.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

UKTopgun wrote:The endless pages of debate the old girl still gets does amuse me. 558 is an irrelevance. Grounded, finished, dead duck. The Trust will vanish within months, and the aeroplane will be left to rot outside due to stupendous mismanagement. Nothing more to be said, move on guys.

You couldn't be more right. Time to move on.

steveb23

Post by steveb23 »

Neverfuel wrote:I think we are going into fiction land again guys :sad:

Stop making up your own versions of the truth.

Are you talking about VTTS or the forum contributors? Because it’s the former I’d be more worried about. Developer in the wings waiting to build the hanger once planning permission is granted: that’s fiction right?

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Xm657 wrote:
UKTopgun wrote:The endless pages of debate the old girl still gets does amuse me. 558 is an irrelevance. Grounded, finished, dead duck. The Trust will vanish within months, and the aeroplane will be left to rot outside due to stupendous mismanagement. Nothing more to be said, move on guys.

I disagree. We must be able to squeeze out at least 100 more pages going round in circles. :lmao:

Post by 106500 »

Reds Rolling wrote:
Xm657 wrote:

I disagree. We must be able to squeeze out at least 100 more pages going round in circles. :lmao:

I agree - the posts get more and more pathetic as time moves on. I'm sure some posters on here desperately want VTTS to fail for some strange form of self-centered satisfaction based on "I told you so". I for one have a sneaking suspicion they might all be proven wrong! :loser:

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

Sunday afternoon, 13:22 and I'm sat with a cold can of Pepsi.
I'm projecting forward by 5yrs where I actually hold a piece of "my people's aeroplane" as another can will be made from 10% recycled 558 Vulcan...
Canon systems

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Brevet Cable wrote:Not XH558, but I noticed the following on the BBC website today :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-essex-41367514/vulcan-bomber-brought-to-life-in-virtual-tour
Wasn't there something like that on one of the restoration DVDs?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

XR219

Post by XR219 »

Xm657 wrote:He also said in the Podcast that David Walton would have liked 558 back at Bruntingthorpe. Yet the Q&A says 558 may not have been welcome at Bruntingthorpe. I was always warned as a child, if you're going to lie, you better have a good memory for what you've said in the past.

The Q&A said

There are other very successful ground operations of similar aircraft, for example Vulcan XM655 at Wellesbourne and the collections at Elvington and Bruntingthorpe. If our outlook was only for the next decade or so, then one of these locations (assuming XH558 was welcome) may well have been the better choice.

This does not suggest that XH558 was not welcome at Bruntingthorpe.
@steveliddle558
Vulcan to the Sky Trust Trustee (although expressing my own views)

minnie the moocher

Post by minnie the moocher »

106500 wrote:
I agree - the posts get more and more pathetic as time moves on. I'm sure some posters on here desperately want VTTS to fail for some strange form of self-centered satisfaction based on "I told you so". I for one have a sneaking suspicion they might all be proven wrong! :loser:

For me the question that has never been answered - and I have asked it at least twice before - is how much support would 558 now have if VTTS were not involved anymore? if the answer is zero then yes its brown bread. If the answer is that there was a viable group of volunteers willing to take it on with some funding and something less grandiose plan wise then its in with a chance. The venue is far from ideal but that can't be helped.
Far from wanting VTTS to fail I want them to succeed and for 558 to be safe but they will now have to do that without the financial assistance of past enthusiastic supporters they have peed off and lost by the wayside which has made their job so much harder. They need some new blood in there, a hefty dose of reality and a robust business plan. VTTS did a fantastic job getting it back in the air and nobody can take that away from them but its what went on afterwards that tarnishes their shine

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

No its doesn't, but it is odd wording considering Mr Pleming said David Walton wanted 558 back. The only thing stopping 558 returning was VttST's long term plans, so why even imply she may not have been welcome in the Q&A. It's a misleading thing to say in my opinion and makes me suspicious over the honesty of everything else when contradictions like this appear.

Honestly though, what does it matter now. It's not at Bruntingthorpe and never will be. The have made their bed in Doncaster and will now have to lie in it. Not turning out to be as comfortable as expected so far but who knows. If they do a close up engine run next year i'll stump up the cash to attend, can't go another year without a Vulcan howl deafening me.

sooty655

Post by sooty655 »

Xm657 wrote:Honestly though, what does it matter now. It's not at Bruntingthorpe and never will be. The have made their bed in Doncaster and will now have to lie in it. Not turning out to be as comfortable as expected so far but who knows. If they do a close up engine run next year i'll stump up the cash to attend, can't go another year without a Vulcan howl deafening me.

You could always spend £15 and join 655MaPS. Our members got a close-up engine run (and a couple of lectures) for free last month. Of course we can't offer you a "howl" because proper Vulcans don't. :tongue:

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

sooty655 wrote:
Xm657 wrote:Honestly though, what does it matter now. It's not at Bruntingthorpe and never will be. The have made their bed in Doncaster and will now have to lie in it. Not turning out to be as comfortable as expected so far but who knows. If they do a close up engine run next year i'll stump up the cash to attend, can't go another year without a Vulcan howl deafening me.

You could always spend £15 and join 655MaPS. Our members got a close-up engine run (and a couple of lectures) for free last month. Of course we can't offer you a "howl" because proper Vulcans don't. :tongue:

I've been a member of the VRT at Southend for years, but still waiting for an engine run since the return to power project began in 2006. I've was a member of 655Maps many years ago and saw some of the first engine runs 655 did back in the 90s before 655Maps was even started, when it was called Delta Engineering and the Buccaneer was at Wellesbourne. I didn't realise there were engine runs for members though, so yes I will definitely join, worth every penny. :up:

I know that milk bottle top noise isn't really the proper engine sound, but I do like it! I'm hooked on the Olympus whine though, so enjoy 655s very much too.

austinp

Post by austinp »

Donate her to Elvington, along with Dr Bob!

Yes, I know this would mean cutting her up. It'll be cheaper than building a hanger/visitor centre next to the pong-farm.

Would there be enough money in VTTS to fund this? And would Elvington have room?

I'm off back into my box again for a bit :-)

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Construction of Aircraft Hanger

Good start! Also interesting to note the timing of the "determination deadline"

Determination Deadline Mon 25 Dec 2017

Christmas day appeal, anyone?