Where has XH558 thread gone?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Neverfuel

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Post by Neverfuel »

Looking at the plans, the space available looks like more they had in the half of hangar 3 they were using before. They have a lot more car parking as well. I had to park on the grass for a family day. There is now a dedicated cafe, which they didn't have before. The shop used to be at the side of the aircraft inside the hangar, and the swift was under the rear end of 558. As for the Canberra, they had a cordoned off area which seemed ok. Exhibits and ground equipment were down the sides, but they also had a big airliner fuselage in there which took up a lot of room. I don't see that on the plans. They also had separate areas for build-a-plane and table/chair storage in the hangar bit - not as separate areas. I would expect that there will probably be a bit more space than before.

As for engine changes etc, wouldn't they be done from underneath the aircraft?

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Unfortunately I was never able to visit Hanger 3, but it looked like there was a lot of free space next to 558, where they set up seating etc for events, and I also assumed there was a workshop and storage area for the parts and tools. The new Hanger looks pretty full just with the three aircraft. But if you reckon all the equipment/spares could be stacked down the sides I suppose that makes sense. Looking at the aerial view of the airport, I would say Hanger 3 is wider than the new Hangar, but similar depth. Its a pity about the newts, if all of the land could have been used, it would have been about the same as Hangar 3. My question regarding an engine change (or other maintenance work on 558 and restoration of WK163 to flight), was about where the spares and tools would be stored as there doesn't seem to be any provision for this on the plans.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

A couple of shots of 558 from this morning posted on facebook, (shared with permission).

Saleemrama

Post by Saleemrama »

I like the proposed layout - but just wondering if people could turn up just to have a coffee and a cake -without having to pay entry? If they did that it would be ace. It looks like the cafe faces the runway threshold and approach? They may make more sales in burgers and scones than any other local cafe, as long as they don't mind long lenses!

Xm657 - pity that there were not closer shots, but it looks like the background is all large trees, so the treatment plant should be hidden. :smile:

I really hope that the plans will be approved quickly, so that groundworks can complete before March when GCN activity starts, and birds start roosting. The date set for final consultation documents being submitted is the 27 October, so maybe the planning meeting will be sometime in November. If the plans go through - that should give a fair amount of time to make significant progress between now and March.

Steel framed structures go up pretty quickly, so do you think they could start business again by next autumn?
Look on the bright side - because you don't need a torch to do it!

Sal

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Looking at the aerial view it looks like the trees do not continue and the new Hangar will only be separated from the Sewage works on both sides by a fence. It's also a long way from the runway and the view of most of the runway will be obscured, however there would be a good view of aircraft taxing past and preparing to take off on runway 20. I would have thought watching from Old Bawtry road would be a much better view though (and free).

VttST said construction would take a year, and Planning was due by December. So in theory they could be open for business by the end of next year. That assumes someone with the £2.8 comes forward which I would have thought is the biggest hurdle right now.

Skymonster

Post by Skymonster »

Saleemrama wrote:I like the proposed layout - but just wondering if people could turn up just to have a coffee and a cake -without having to pay entry? If they did that it would be ace. It looks like the cafe faces the runway threshold and approach? They may make more sales in burgers and scones than any other local cafe, as long as they don't mind long lenses!

The floor plan has the cafe on the mezzanine level accessible via the hangar - likewise the toilets are on the ground floor and again only accessible via the main hangar. So the layout would seem to preclude visitors being let in without paying just to use the cafe.

No doubt the layout is what the trust wants, but the contention that it could be used by a commercial operator after the ten year lease seems a little optimistic - at the least some investment would seem to be needed before such a change could occur. No workshops, no parts storage space - and even if these were repurposed from the events storage, kitchen and cellar areas, no simple access for heavy equipment sometimes necessary to move aircraft parts around. And not least, work on the cladding of the building to remove the nasty "Vulcan" signage.

Ah well, I'm sure VTTS know what they're doing - much more so than us armchair experts anyway... :dizzy:

Saleemrama

Post by Saleemrama »

Xm657 wrote:Looking at the aerial view it looks like the trees do not continue and the new Hangar will only be separated from the Sewage works on both sides by a fence. It's also a long way from the runway and the view of most of the runway will be obscured, however there would be a good view of aircraft taxing past and preparing to take off on runway 20. I would have thought watching from Old Bawtry road would be a much better view though (and free).

VttST said construction would take a year, and Planning was due by December. So in theory they could be open for business by the end of next year. That assumes someone with the £2.8 comes forward which I would have thought is the biggest hurdle right now.

I took it from the environmenal report that the trees were being left because of the bird species that are in the area? Maybe just soft lopping the large oaks?
Look on the bright side - because you don't need a torch to do it!

Sal

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Not sure there are many trees flanking the proposed site, they seem to be around where 558 is currently parked. I'm going to visit Doncaster at some point and see for myself.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

There is some storage areas, outside next to the waste bins etc, there is storage for the comercial side of things.
But nothing for spares or equipment etc for 558,
Guess whats left down the rd in Stratford will be sold off over time. The hundred of tonnes of spares must be down by now, cannot be much left.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Better fix of the Vulcan experience would be a trip to Manchester to fly the flight sim.
Bill Ramsey flying under tower Bridge and Rolling the Vulcan, :shock: .
http://www.virtual-aerospace.com/produc ... 7QodglYAzQ

Scroll down and play the video. :clap:

The sort of thing I would have brought instead of a Canberra, would have been a money maker and also something that would have been more of a pull for visitor's.
Lets face it, a walk around a static vulcan a cup of expensive coffe a mortage for a slice of cake.
You may as well go on full hog and fly the Vulcan Sim.
http://www.virtual-aerospace.com/produc ... 7QodglYAzQ

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

vulcan558 wrote: Lets face it, a walk around a static vulcan a cup of expensive coffe a mortage for a slice of cake.

Jibber flibbet word verb hoobla random slur flibbet.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

capercaillie wrote:
vulcan558 wrote: Lets face it, a walk around a static vulcan a cup of expensive coffe a mortage for a slice of cake.

Are you suggesting, by any chance, that Rule 2 may be applicable in this instance...? :whistle:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

Seahornet wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

Are you suggesting, by any chance, that Rule 2 may be applicable in this instance...? :whistle:

Is Rule 2 classed as discrimination under the Equality Act 2010 ?

motormouser

Post by motormouser »

I thought this had happened already?

http://wearedoncaster.co.uk/news/vulcan ... submitted/

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

:lmao: ‘compared to the Eden Centre, in Cornwall’! :lmao:
Got to love Russianhardware

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

HeyfordDave111 wrote: ‘compared to the Eden Centre, in Cornwall’!

Makes the Eden Centre look pretty silly, IMO. Where's their big ugly shed with a restaurant/ cafe facility situated directly next to a sewage farm? :question:

bernarde

Post by bernarde »

Engine runs planned for next Saturday if anyone's interested. Thought i'd tell you as VTTS won't.

B

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

bernarde wrote:Engine runs planned for next Saturday if anyone's interested. Thought i'd tell you as VTTS won't.

B

...apart from having actively promoted the events sufficiently to sell out all available tickets.

bernarde

Post by bernarde »

MicrolightDriver wrote:
bernarde wrote:Engine runs planned for next Saturday if anyone's interested. Thought i'd tell you as VTTS won't.

B

...apart from having actively promoted the events sufficiently to sell out all available tickets.

Correct - but there is no further publications for those who wish to spectate from the fences.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Why should there be.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

bernarde wrote:
MicrolightDriver wrote:

B

Correct - but there is no further publications for those who wish to spectate from the fences.
Because they don't want that to happen. It can only damage the chances of runs over the runway in the future.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

flashman8

Post by flashman8 »

aviodromefriend wrote:
bernarde wrote:
MicrolightDriver wrote:

B

Because they don't want that to happen. It can only damage the chances of runs over the runway in the future.

Runs down the runway... :shock:

if that was ever to happen, it would have done so by now............the airport is too busy for that.............VTTS has shot themselves in the foot by having 558 there, she would have better suited elsewhere, where Joe public can witness the fast taxi runs and the famous howl.........
Sony A700, A550, , Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, 50,70-300GSSM,Tamron 17-50,90mm

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Night time photo shoots are very popular theses days, I have not seen the vtts capitalise on this.

Again its one aircraft and now in a crap position for this type of event.
The plans have only just gone in, with no development group on board to pay for it.
The recent post by Richard clarke mentioning public money again and no time scale for work to start.

The Lease on this land is another thing we have not seen much about.
How much for the lease and any clauses etc.
This could be a problem for any development group having to juggle the airports lease and also the Vtts.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

vulcan558 wrote:Night time photo shoots are very popular theses days, I have not seen the vtts capitalise on this.

Again its one aircraft and now in a crap position for this type of event.
The plans have only just gone in, with no development group on board to pay for it.
The recent post by Richard clarke mentioning public money again and no time scale for work to start.

The Lease on this land is another thing we have not seen much about.
How much for the lease and any clauses etc.
This could be a problem for any development group having to juggle the airports lease and also the Vtts.

If the airport won't countenance mass-attendance events in daylight, they're hardly going to welcome them after dark.

High time VTTS put their hands up, said sorry and wound the whole, risible, enterprise up for good. It is nothing but a money-pit, and surely no-one of sane mind can still think any of the promises being made are in any way viable.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

:sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaj-V6H711Y[/youtube]