Where has XH558 thread gone?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
MicrolightDriver

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Post by MicrolightDriver »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
If the airport won't countenance mass-attendance events in daylight, they're hardly going to welcome them after dark...

So because you think the airport won't allow mass-attendance events, you also think they won't allow night photo shoots ( like they already have, several times before)?

Interesting sunday lunchtime logic

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

aviodromefriend wrote:
bernarde wrote:
MicrolightDriver wrote:
bernarde wrote:Engine runs planned for next Saturday if anyone's interested. Thought i'd tell you as VTTS won't.

B

...apart from having actively promoted the events sufficiently to sell out all available tickets.

Correct - but there is no further publications for those who wish to spectate from the fences.
Because they don't want that to happen. It can only damage the chances of runs over the runway in the future.

The engines runs are just to cover the monthly wage bill as per normal.
They will not make any money for the hangar, only way to make a decent sum, would be to open up the runway for a few fast taxi days, get a few thousand standing along the runway at £25 a ticket.
Sadly the location they landed 558 at will not permit this.
Why its such a sham by the trust.

Will say it again and again, She should have gone back to Bruntingthorpes or Elvington.

MicrolightDriver

vulcan558 wrote:The engines runs are just to cover the monthly wage bill as per normal.
They will not make any money for the hangar...

This morning, you were having a crack at them for not making more money out of such popular events!
:-
Night time photo shoots are very popular theses days, I have not seen the vtts capitalise on this.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

vulcan558 wrote:Night time photo shoots are very popular theses days, I have not seen the vtts capitalise on this.
There have been. They received a lot of Flak on UKAR as they asked much more money for that than the people at Northolt do for their events (it should have sold out though, at least that is what the trust claimed at that time).
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

IgnatiusJReilly

Post by IgnatiusJReilly »

vulcan558 wrote:Night time photo shoots are very popular theses days, I have not seen the vtts capitalise on this.

All things considered, Night time is probably best to photograph XH558... At least in the dark, you won't see the sewage works...
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

At least in the dark, you won't see the sewage works...

You mean the waste water treatment works.
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

IgnatiusJReilly

Post by IgnatiusJReilly »

psquiddy wrote:You mean the waste water treatment works.

Possibly... I suppose the address given in the planning application should help settle this...
Sewage Treatment Works Hayfield Lane Auckley Doncaster DN9 3NP

Do I win £5?
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Will make it easy to give directions I suppose: when you see the sign for the "Sewage Treatment Works", you have arrived at Vulcan (not) to the Sky's visitor centre.

I wonder if nose clips will be included in the entry fee, or maybe they could sell branded 558 nose clips in the shape of a delta wing?

MicrolightDriver

Presumably the area can be fairly easily fenced or hedged to deal with any visual impact.

Beyond that, the only real information I've seen is one 'poster' who's said that he's worked nearby, and hasn't noticed any smell.

So has anyone here had a different experience while down at this facility having themselves a good old sniff of the area? Please do let us know if you have!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Can't speak for that particular location, but I spent a bit of time working at one of our ( now dismantled ) local ones & it didn't tend to smell....neither the filter beds themselves or the settling tanks.
There's also a larger sewage farm a few miles from me which has two pubs, a golf club, a couple of guest-houses & some holiday homes within a couple of hundred feet of it, and that one doesn't smell either ( the only smell you get is from the stables at the nearby riding school )
Heck, Cardiff City centre smells worse ! ( As Tommy's possibly noticed :lol: )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Where I go walking I pass by a couple of sewage works which are similar to the one at Doncaster airport. I personally don't find them too bad but there is definitely a funny smell which isn't particularly pleasant. My wife however found the smell really unpleasant and gave me a quite a telling off for taking her walking there one day! I would not want to sit and have my lunch next to it. It's the sort of smell if you work there all the time you'd get used to fairly quickly. Perhaps Doncaster is an odourless sewage works - I intend to have a recce when I'm in the North over Xmas.

I don't think this will be the biggest issue faced - finding an investor with £2.8 million and the ongoing revenue to repay that investment (with interest) is the challenge. Having it next to a sewage works obviously doesn't help though. The actual smell (if there is one) may well put visitors off using the cafe and returning for repeat visits, while the perceived concept of building a visitor center and café literally next door to a sewage works may well put off potential investors in the scheme.

Perhaps something good may come of this though. Even if the money to build the hanger never materialises this parcel of land might be a permanent safe and accessible parking space for 558, albeit outdoors, unlikely to ever be in demand for anything else given its location next to the sewage so secure for 558 to live out her final years.

MicrolightDriver

Xm657 wrote: I intend to have a recce when I'm in the North over Xmas.

I look forward to hearing about your findings. Deep breath and hold!

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Is it really 10 years since the first flight after the restoration?

Yes it is. Still a fantastic achievement and one to be celebrated.

MicrolightDriver

Tremendous achievement - what a day it was!

Also, a powerful lesson in the value of refusing to give up, even when it seems too difficult and the less ambitious are convinced that you can't succeed.

minnie the moocher

Post by minnie the moocher »

Xm657 wrote:Where I go walking I pass by a couple of sewage works which are similar to the one at Doncaster airport. I personally don't find them too bad but there is definitely a funny smell which isn't particularly pleasant. My wife however found the smell really unpleasant and gave me a quite a telling off for taking her walking there one day! I would not want to sit and have my lunch next to it. It's the sort of smell if you work there all the time you'd get used to fairly quickly. Perhaps Doncaster is an odourless sewage works - I intend to have a recce when I'm in the North over Xmas.

I don't think this will be the biggest issue faced - finding an investor with £2.8 million and the ongoing revenue to repay that investment (with interest) is the challenge. Having it next to a sewage works obviously doesn't help though. The actual smell (if there is one) may well put visitors off using the cafe and returning for repeat visits, while the perceived concept of building a visitor center and café literally next door to a sewage works may well put off potential investors in the scheme.

Perhaps something good may come of this though. Even if the money to build the hangar never materialises this parcel of land might be a permanent safe and accessible parking space for 558, albeit outdoors, unlikely to ever be in demand for anything else given its location next to the sewage so secure for 558 to live out her final years.

I once took part in an archeological dig downwind of a sewage works and there was a definite niff to the place, you could even smell it on your clothes when you got home without even coming into contact with the stuff. In fairness it wasn't unbearable once you had acclimatised but there were a few days when the the air was so thick you could chew it - if the worst comes to the worst should at least be able to make a killing on the Vulcan air freshener.

Full Flaps

Post by Full Flaps »

I was actually on site between the two locations on Tuesday, fitting the Wing Names commemorating the 10th Anniversary of 1st flight to XH558. About three hours in total, on quite a blustery day with swirling gusts.

Not once did I smell anything. It is my understanding the 'sewage' part is minimal and enclosed so that micro-organisms break down the overspill water from the aprons and runway. The Sewage works was the 'old site' now being scaled down and it is now more a 'Water Treatment Plant' expanded on the other side of the pan, created not only to cope with the development that has happened in the last 10 years, but to be future-proof on airport expansion.

It really is a non-issue.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Oh well that's interesting Full Flaps, if its just for surface water rather than raw sewage there wouldn't be any smell. I think there just remains the pre-conceptions people may have on hearing the address as the "Sewage Works", its not the greatest of selling points to prospective investors or eventual visitors. Hopefully they will be able to persuade the authorities/post office/whoever to allocate them their own address rather than having to be known as VttST c/o The Sewage Works (it doesn't smell honest!), Doncaster ....

I'm looking forward to my visit over xmas where I can see and smell for myself, as I haven't seen 558 for well over a year now.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Some gossip on Facebook today regarding the canopy cover having been left off since the engine run and it raining in Doncaster since. Hopefully the cockpit and electrics havnt taken too much of a drenching.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Any particular Facebook, because there are probably millions of different pages on there and from the quick look I just had, it doesn't seem to be the VTTS facebook page.

Oh, and why would leaving the canopy cover off matter, unless they canopy isn't sealed properly ?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Another appeal to replace all the electrics,because they got wet. :smile: :smile:

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

No it was on one of the several aviation groups I follow, there was a photo taken of her in her parking spot coverless. Someone suggested it had been left off after the event as it was a too windy. I have read on Sad Sams post that 558's canopy does leak. Vulcan canopies only seal properly if a strip is inflated with nitrogen normally only in flight. The fact they put the cover on until now would suggest it was necessary. Maybe it's Health and Safety preventing them getting it back on.

JetMan

Post by JetMan »

The canopy cover wasn’t put on after the ground runs due to the high winds at the time. The door and canopy nitrogen cylinders were fully charged and Taff reckoned that would give 3/4 days of full sealing (The seals inflate automatically when the door is closed and locked). There are also covers over the side instrument/Control panels on the inside of the cockpit where, if the canopy were to leak, the water would hit. The cover has been installed up to now as an extra layer of defence, and will be put back on at the earliest convenience.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Thank you Jetman. When you say the cover has been fitted up to now as an extra layer of defense surely it's the main layer of defence once the canopy seals deflate after a few days? Although water falling directly onto the instruments has been protected against having water inside the cockpit will lead to condensation and electrical problems. Does the Trust have a dehumidifier running inside the cockpit as I believe other Vulcan custodians do, to keep the cockpit dry?

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

So despite some silly scaremongering, it seems Taff Stone still knows what he's doing.

Who would have thought? :lol: