IWM Membership Scheme

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
austinp

IWM Membership Scheme

Post by austinp »

Hi folks.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this, it launches at the end of the month and promises discounts and other perks.

There seems to be two levels, the second of which (at £46 a year, instead of the basic package of £29) will allow 20% discount on Duxford Airshow events.

Thoughts, comments...

Dan O'Hagan

Re: IWM Membership Scheme

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

austinp wrote:Hi folks.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this, it launches at the end of the month and promises discounts and other perks.

There seems to be two levels, the second of which (at £46 a year, instead of the basic package of £29) will allow 20% discount on Duxford Airshow events.

Thoughts, comments...

Join the Sally B Supporters Club. Cheaper annual subscription and free access to Duxford on non-show days. Plus it directly supports a one-of-a-kind flyer in Europe.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 09 Sep 2018, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

austinp

Post by austinp »

davidjones533 wrote:Depends if you're interested in the wider IWM family than just Duxford.

Free and fast-track access to Churchill War Rooms, HMS Belfast and IWM Duxford. Premium also gives you free access to paid exhibitions at IWM London and IWM North. 15% discount in shops and cafes. 20% discount on Air Show tickets. If I lived in London then I would definitely go for it, since I'd regularly make use of the free entry to all the special exhibitions as well as Churchill Rooms and Belfast. However, living up north I'm not sure that it adds up for me. The most I could probably expect is two airshows (c.£30 a pop so £12 saving. More if it includes Legends - no clear info on that) and visit Duxford on a nice quiet non-show day once a year (£18). So £30 doesn't cover the cost of the premium package. However, access to the air show members' enclosure and perhaps an annual trip to London for the museums could swing it.

A great range of savings to be sure. And something that only a certain number of people will be able to properly benefit from.

Like you, I'm up north (Sheffield area), so I'd never be able to make the most of it; unless I seriously upped my visits to Duxford and any other IWM site (which I can't see happening).

timuss

Post by timuss »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:

Thoughts, comments...

Join the Sally B Supporters Club. Cheaper annual subscription and free access to Duxford on non-show days. Plus it directly supports a one-of-a-kind flyer in Europe.

+1 same for me.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

The same benefit comes with Catalina Society membership too

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

I use my membership access quite a lot. Far more pleasant surroundings to drop in to Duxford for a coffee on the way to London than a Starbucks or Costa.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Far more pleasant surroundings to drop in to Duxford for a coffee on the way to London.

Not too keen on those light weight cups that they use for the coffee though, at least they do in the American Museum. Rather unstable, very nearly tipped mine in my lap last time I was there. :oops:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

brionfire

Post by brionfire »

timuss wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:

Thoughts, comments...

+1 same for me.

Thats a great shout - thanks! I was considering joining the scheme again and this is much better use of the money IMO.

cuban8

Post by cuban8 »

My wife and I will be joining the new scheme (premium package), as we regularly visit DX on non-airshow days and usually do all three airshows if the weather permits. I did write to IWM to express our dissatisfaction with their decision to scrap FoD as a separate entity, but when large organisations get a 'bee in their bonnet' as IWM clearly have over this, then they'll do as they please.
TBH, it won't make any difference to us in our support for aviation at Duxford, and those with convenient access to the other IWM sites will gain if they choose to visit them. I can't see us visiting the other IWM sites any time soon though.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

They have also abolished the "seniors" rate making the new regime that much more expensive for a raft of things that I wouldn't want to use. The reason given? "Simplifying the the membership structure". What a load of old frolics.

Andy

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Agreed Blackbird,all in all the new scheme is not particularly " Friendly ", I think I will replace mine with a Sally B membership..

Orion

Post by Orion »

Sally B membership excludes Special Event Days as well as Air Shows. Presumably the 'Bonus Days' like yesterday's are excluded. As I am more likely to visit Duxford on one of the Bonus Days I'm not sure it's for me.

http://www.sallyb.org.uk/supporters-club.htm

The IWM membership rate of £35pa looks attractive if you visit more than twice for non show days.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/membership

sdad

Post by sdad »

Nobody has mentioned that the "membership" at £35 minimum has replaced the old annual ticket which was only around £20 (senior). My old ticket lapsed after the May show and because the new system is nearly double, I decided not to renew and skipped July. As soon as we got to September, I paid up, knowing that I can now get into Duxford any time up to the end of September 2019. It is unlikely I shall be going after that. My main interest (and benefit of the annual ticket) was visiting in the week before each airshow and at occasional other times, such as the Lancaster leaving ArCo.

I have already been to the previously-named Cabinet War Rooms and intend to look at HMS Belfast sometime too. There was a massive queue in Horse Guards' Road and I really wonder why. The whole thing would be great if you were doing an academic study on wartime government but I see very little merit otherwise. The £21 entrance fee clearly goes to paying back the cost of installing plate glass everywhere so that you can see into the rooms without going in!

aaron0288

Post by aaron0288 »

Any benefits at the BOB air show with just the standard £35 membership?