Pegs sold

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Pegs sold

Post by jalfrezi »

Sad to hear that Peter has sold Pegs, I'm not sure what it means for it's scheduled Cosford airshow appearance next year?

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/flightlineuk/posts/10156605465197908[/fb-post]

Cole

Re: Pegs sold

Post by Cole »

Hopefully this opens doors for a "rarer" type to be operated by Hangar 11, such as a p-38?
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

As for it’s Airshow appearances, the P-40 was listed for Cosford last year, when it was sold it was simply swapped for the P-51.

As for Hangar 11 operating more aircraft, I’d say it was unlikely. Peter has spoken about wanting to lessen the amount of Airshow appearences he does per year.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Ryan. wrote:As for it’s Airshow appearances, the P-40 was listed for Cosford last year, when it was sold it was simply swapped for the P-51.

Whilst that is true, I believe Pegs and the PR.XI were down for Cosford as part of the RAF100 anniversary, so the P-51 isn't really a suitable replacement in this case. Hopefully though Pegs will stay in the UK, as it would be a shame for her to go overseas.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Shame, especially given the plans Hangar 11 had for next year. Hopefully a UK buyer.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

If a comment on the Platinum Sales FB is to be believed, the buyer is from Rouen. Could be a sarcastic comment though, can't tell from the French translation :grin:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

It was inevitable really after being up for sale for a few years. Thankfully we were still able to see it at airshows whilst it was listed for sale, unlike in some other cases, and we have enjoyed Pegs for many years since its debut 2009. Huge thanks must go to Peter Teichman for funding this wonderful example of the Hurricane back into the air and showing it off to the public so vehemently.

Moreover than hoping it stays in the UK, which of course it would be lovely if it were to, I hope more than anything it goes to an owner who will look after it and show the aircraft to the public, wherever that may be. Now that we have such a strong Hurricane scene in the UK it really wouldn't be a bad thing if it were to go abroad, perhaps to a country previously devoid of Hurricanes in the preservation era, much in the same way the silver Hurricane AG244 did in 2015 when it took up residence in Germany. We'll hardly notice a difference when V7497 takes to the skies next year!

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

HuwJHopkins wrote:Now that we have such a strong Hurricane scene in the UK it really wouldn't be a bad thing if it were to go abroad. We'll hardly notice a difference when V7497 takes to the skies next year!

Apart from this is the only aircraft displayed as a Hurribomber. The rest are all displayed as fighters. :wat:

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

Spotty_Jag wrote:
HuwJHopkins wrote:Now that we have such a strong Hurricane scene in the UK it really wouldn't be a bad thing if it were to go abroad. We'll hardly notice a difference when V7497 takes to the skies next year!

Apart from this is the only aircraft displayed as a Hurribomber. The rest are all displayed as fighters. :wat:

You are quite right, but you've completely missed the point! If it ends up going abroad it could be doubling or even creating that country's population of airworthy Hurricanes, which would be really significant and something very positive indeed. We will already have 7 airworthy examples again by the time it departs, should that be the case. We really are in a very lucky situation here in the UK!

But alas we shall have to wait and see!

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Yes, sad but inevitable. Warbirds will always come and go, and no doubt 2018 will see some exciting debuts.

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Platinum fighters have confirmed it's staying in the UK
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

8674planes wrote:Platinum fighters have confirmed it's staying in the UK

This is good news. Whilst I agree to a certain extent that a Hurricane presence abroad is also a good thing I'd rather that this example stayed here than compared to others. Having said that the more Hurricanes we have in the UK the better!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Are Hangar 11 still working on the 2nd Spitfire ?

Great news to hear Pegs is staying in the UK too...

wv383

Post by wv383 »

lynothehammer wrote:Are Hangar 11 still working on the 2nd Spitfire ?

Great news to hear Pegs is staying in the UK too...

Yes they are. Mk.IX rescued from Russia. He has no intention of selling the PR.XI Spitfire or his P-51.
Simon

XP282

Post by XP282 »

Ok, so I’ve finally worked out that ‘Pegs’ is a hurricane, but where did it get that name from? That’s the first time I’ve heard of ‘Pegs’.... ginfo did help!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

XP282 wrote:Ok, so I’ve finally worked out that ‘Pegs’ is a hurricane, but where did it get that name from? That’s the first time I’ve heard of ‘Pegs’.... ginfo did help!

The noseart.

Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIb BE505 (G-HHII) - Hangar 11 Collection - North Weald, August 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

TJJ

Post by TJJ »

The original aircraft was flown by an Australian Flight Sergeant. His wife's name was Peggy - hence the name and Kangaroo nose art.

I spoke to Pete yesterday. he is sorry the Hurricane is gone, but equally excited about the Spitfire project, as he now has funding to proceed with the wings.

Nikon D750, Nikon D300s, Nikon D90

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog »

My first thought was the burger van at Halton.
If you like helicopters then have a look at my Flickr here; www.flickr.com/photos/111508006@N07/

XP282

Post by XP282 »

Thank you very much. I didn’t realise it was called Pegs.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Aerosquip

Post by Aerosquip »

Blackdog wrote:My first thought was the burger van at Halton.

:lmao:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Glad to hear that she's staying in the UK, still hoping to get some photos.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Matt35027

Post by Matt35027 »

Now showing as registered to Hawker Restorations at Elmsett....

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

There is a Hawker Hurricane survivors page on Facebook that states:

"Although we have known for some time, we can now make in public that the Hangar 11 Hurricane, G-HHII "BE505" has been sold to Hawker Restorations Ltd. She will be moving from North Weald to Elmsett from where she will emerge looking very different to her familiar "Hurribomber" configuration."

st24

Post by st24 »

Ryan. wrote:There is a Hawker Hurricane survivors page on Facebook that states:

"Although we have known for some time, we can now make in public that the Hangar 11 Hurricane, G-HHII "BE505" has been sold to Hawker Restorations Ltd. She will be moving from North Weald to Elmsett from where she will emerge looking very different to her familiar "Hurribomber" configuration."

Hmmm... Surely the defining thing about pegs is the fact she is a Hurribomber??! As much as I adore the best fighter of WW 2.... I hope we don't get a diluted Battle of Britain - a-like.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!