RIAT 2018 wishlist

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
CJS

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by CJS »

It certainly added a bit of excitement to the day!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=66442&p=656410&hilit=+SAS#p656410
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

TijnvandeBeld

Post by TijnvandeBeld »

Just a few wishes, which may well be coming true...

Austrian: Typhoon
German: A-310
Belgian: Alpha jet
French: C-135
Spanish: CASA
Portuguese: P-3
Royal Danish: Super Lynx
USAF: A-10, B-1, C-5

Any Mig/sukhoi from any AF
This year was great, hopefully next year will be even better! Can’t wait for my second RIAT :rock:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

TijnvandeBeld wrote:Royal Danish: Super Lynx
Those are wfu since a few days.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

And I think Belgian Alpha Jets will be withdrawn by July too?

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

No Couteau Delta so it seems!

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Airshowhammer wrote:No Couteau Delta so it seems!

Will be elsewhere in UK this summer but not RIAT apparently.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CouteauDelta/status/944608035753906176[/tweet]

wamovements

Post by wamovements »

Hoe about a NASA Canberra?
Starting from Issue 406 Scramble Magazine is a full colour magazine, another reason to subscribe!

aviodromefriend

wamovements wrote:How about a NASA Canberra?
Would be nice, with NASA connections to Fairford as a shuttle emergency landing site (or whatever was the official name), but that hasn't resulted in any NASA participation at RIAT. Would be interesting to hear the reaction from some people setting up something at Doncaster, when they find out there are more Canberras flying in the world (just ignoring the fact that those are WB-57s).

CJS

Post by CJS »

Eh? More than none you mean? Or are you not referring to a certain tin triangle?

aviodromefriend

CJS wrote:Eh? More than none you mean? Or are you not referring to a certain tin triangle?
More than no Canberra.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:No Couteau Delta so it seems!

Will be elsewhere in UK this summer but not RIAT apparently.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CouteauDelta/status/944608035753906176[/tweet]

Judging by their Instagram, they seem to be massive fans of Duxford..

F-5F

Post by F-5F »

If definitely not attending then Couteau Delta is a massive loss for RIAT 18 given how popular they (and their predecessors) are/were. I'm sure I have read elsewhere (not 100% certain) that the Patrouille de France are unable to attend either due to another commitment. So French flying participation looking weak already.

F1jetfan

Post by F1jetfan »

Turkish kc135 on static
New Zealand 757 flying
Finnish f18 flying
Suisse f18 flying
Polish mig 29 flying
Danish f16 flying
Canadian, Brazilian and Australian c130's static
Norwegian historic f104 flying
Jordanian mirage f1 flying or static

707Mills

Post by 707Mills »

Flying:
USAF A-10
Polish SU-22 Pair
Swedish Historic Flight Draken
Croatian Wings of Storm
Blue Impulse
Swiss F-18
RAF F-35

Static:
USAF B-1
USAF B-52
USAF F-15
USAF F-16
USAF J-8
Omani C-130
Canadian CC-150
NATO E-3
RAF E-3
RAF RC-135
Israeli 707

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

707Mills wrote:
Static:

Canadian CC-150

I am curious to see what the Canadians will bring as a support aircraft for the CF-188's (I will assume they will fly more than one of our fighters over as a backup for any failures)

harkins

Post by harkins »

The fact the Mirage pair aren't coming despite being an indisputable star of any airshow in the world and that I read that Cosford are having a chronological display of available RAF types, makes me wonder if this years RIAT might not be all that we're expecting and that apart from the RAF fly past (even which makes me wonder how spectacular it can be with so few types and so little availability) that it might be dominated by private Spitfires and Jet Provosts performing flypasts. There's so little on the circuit nowadays that the French pair is without argument a loss from the start.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Sorry, double post due to sluggish wi-fi.
Last edited by harkins on Tue 02 Jan 2018, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Don't forget it's up to the French to decide what they send. It's not up to RIAT to say "nah, we don't want Couteau Delta this year, too interesting, let's make CJS happy with loads of JPs!"

harkins

Post by harkins »

That's a fair point if that's the case. Having said that, what else really do the French have to offer for a flying display?

CJS

Post by CJS »

cg_341 wrote:Don't forget it's up to the French to decide what they send. It's not up to RIAT to say "nah, we don't want Couteau Delta this year, too interesting, let's make CJS happy with loads of JPs!"

:win: :tongue2:

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

harkins wrote:Having said that, what else really do the French have to offer for a flying display?

Going on what was offered in 2017, the French Air Force should have the following display assets available:

Patrouille de France (8x Alpha Jet)
L'équipe de Voltige (2x Extra 300SC)
Couteau Delta (2x Mirage 2000D - Tactical Display)
Rafale (Solo Display)
Alpha Jet (Solo Display)

So still plenty of options for the French Air Force to support the flying display at RIAT 2018, even without Couteau Delta.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Quite a bit then, although F-5F has said that the PdF are reportedly already engaged that week and the Extra300SC would generally be seen as a toilet break at the International Air Tattoo.

aviodromefriend

Given the dates RIAT takes place, any French participation is a bonus. Mind, the French have Bastille day clashing with DBH's big party!

F-5F

Post by F-5F »

Further to my post above regarding the Couteau Delta disappointment to be fair to other countries what do they get from the UK? Why should they send display items?

On a separate issue I note the Swiss Hornet is confirmed flying for Scottish airshow. Just checked the confirmed list by Boff for RIAT and it seems to be lagging behind Cosford and Yeovilton albeit they are a couple of weeks earlier. I'm wondering whether harkins might be right and this may not live up to expectations despite the amazing ticket sales already. Come on DBH, throw us a bone, let's have some flying updates and start getting excited.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

F-5F wrote:Further to my post above regarding the Couteau Delta disappointment to be fair to other countries what do they get from the UK? Why should they send display items?

That's a thing I've always noticed. The RAF are awful (with a very slight improvement in recent years) at making European airshow commitments when compared to the amount of European stuff that visits the UK - and it's not just RIAT, but when Cosford has secured the Swiss F-18, Italian Tornado, Belgian F-16, Swiss PC-7 Team, Biggin managed the Czech Air Force etc in recent years, the RAF are very poor at reciprocating.

Though, that's not the RAF's fault automatically, I think it's a symptom of the UK Airshow scene - It's not necessarily "too many airshows" - though per capita I'll wager the UK has the highest number of airshows in the world - it's just that it seems every regatta, flower show, village fete, bloke and his dog, ceremony, outdoor concert, classic car show, etc etc wants a piece of the RAF, be it the BBMF, the Typhoon, the Reds, or something else in between. The poor crews barely have any time to fly abroad to participate in foreign events, even if they wanted to.

And it does matter to a certain extent - I may be (likely) completely wrong, but I seem to recall in 2013(?) the Poles confirmed their MiG-29 at RIAT, then withdrew it because of lack of RAF participation at Radom, which was rectified by a static Hawk to that show, which then moved the MiG-29 back onto the list for RIAT. Absolute playground stuff, that was.

F-5F wrote:On a separate issue I note the Swiss Hornet is confirmed flying for Scottish airshow. Just checked the confirmed list by Boff for RIAT and it seems to be lagging behind Cosford and Yeovilton albeit they are a couple of weeks earlier. I'm wondering whether harkins might be right and this may not live up to expectations despite the amazing ticket sales already. Come on DBH, throw us a bone, let's have some flying updates and start getting excited.

That's probably going a bit far - RIAT have confirmed an F-35B and the Canadian Hornet amongst the RAF stuff. That's pretty decent. Though RIAT do indeed need to get the "Participation List" online!

I sometimes think RIAT are victims of their own success - Swiss F-18 at Scotland and people are like "hiooo, wow, nice, what a coup!", if that was all DBH had confirmed so far people would be like "ehhh... come on, DBH! Let's go!"