RIAT 2018 wishlist

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Post Reply
User avatar
Red Dragon
Posts: 1721
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:56 pm

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by Red Dragon »

Airshowhammer wrote:Malaysia. Cough cough :ninja:


Good shout for the Sukhoi’s but I understand they have grounded the MiG-29’s :sad:

Airshowhammer

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by Airshowhammer »

Red Dragon wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:Malaysia. Cough cough :ninja:


Good shout for the Sukhoi’s but I understand they have grounded the MiG-29’s :sad:


Migs are grounded, doesn't stop them from sending something else :wink: :ninja:

User avatar
Spotty_Jag
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri 18 Nov 2016, 8:19 pm

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Airshowhammer wrote:Migs are grounded, doesn't stop them from sending something else :wink: :ninja:

Would be relatively easy for Malaysian to send a A400M or KC-130 for static display. They did sent a CASA previously didn't they? Would be a very long way for a fighter to travel.

User avatar
138EAW
Posts: 5005
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:56 pm
Location: South Lincolnshire

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by 138EAW »

Looks like the Belgian AF are to sell off their VIP aircraft, Embraer 135/145 and Dassault Falcon 900B. So would be nice for a visit in the static park from them incase it happens.
Gary

User avatar
harkins
Posts: 1091
Joined: Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm
Location: Stockport

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by harkins »

Being very jet biased and therefore just a tad disappointed that the Swiss are not sending the PdS, I did think that for an F-5 fix the Turkish Stars would be a welcome sight (especially with their C-130). I don't think they've been since 2011 have they? Is there any reason why they'd be an unrealistic wish?

Airshowhammer

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by Airshowhammer »

harkins wrote:Being very jet biased and therefore just a tad disappointed that the Swiss are not sending the PdS, I did think that for an F-5 fix the Turkish Stars would be a welcome sight (especially with their C-130). I don't think they've been since 2011 have they? Is there any reason why they'd be an unrealistic wish?


2008! :shock:

User avatar
harkins
Posts: 1091
Joined: Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm
Location: Stockport

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by harkins »

Ten years?!! They're well overdue, surely?

User avatar
Skyflash
UKAR Staff
Posts: 2096
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 7:51 pm
Location: Musselburgh, nr Edinburgh

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by Skyflash »

harkins wrote:Ten years?!! They're well overdue, surely?


Were they not utterly hacked-off with the no-show in 2008, to the extent that they're unlikely now to return? I'm sure I remember hearing or reading this from several different sources.

A great pity if so, the Stars are great fun to watch and their commentator is cheerfully bonkers.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

User avatar
harkins
Posts: 1091
Joined: Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm
Location: Stockport

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by harkins »

That's a very long time to be hacked off though isn't it? Kind of crazy if that's the real reason they haven't been seen for 10 years. I think they were at Waddington in 2010, so they have been back in the UK, and they did send the C-130 to RIAT for Static in 2011 from what I've seen online.

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7184
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by CJS »

The Turks themselves clearly don't have issues with RIAT, otherwise we wouldn't have seen the SoloTurk display in recent years.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

User avatar
harkins
Posts: 1091
Joined: Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm
Location: Stockport

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by harkins »

It's also likely that in 10 years that the turnover of personal flying and non flying has changed so much that any upset must surely have been diluted a lot.

Wasn't there also the story that Patrulla Águila were also upset to the point of never returning after being shuffled off the display list due to weather one year? Maybe I'm imagining that one.

Anyway, fingers crossed the Turkish Stars return this year.

Rossbeef
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri 26 Sep 2008, 8:40 pm

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by Rossbeef »

I would also like to see the Turkish Stars this year having never seen them. I remember at Mildenhall when I was very young (I can't remember what year but the weather was atrocious!) I remember seeing the Stars on the ground then my parents told me we were leaving to go home. I shouted that I wanted to see the Turkish Stars and cried! Still to this day I have never seen them! It would be nice to see them but at the expense of Solo Turk? I am not so sure - maybe both!

As for Patrulla Aguila, I have never been a huge fan of their displays, and would much rather see the EF-18 instead, even though there are already 2 Hornet displays in the line up, I don't care especially having missed it last year on the Saturday.

User avatar
capercaillie
Posts: 7596
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 3:04 pm
Location: Leominster

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by capercaillie »

harkins wrote: Wasn't there also the story that Patrulla Águila were also upset to the point of never returning after being shuffled off the display list due to weather one year? Maybe I'm imagining that one.


I think that one is just wishful thinking! :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

Airshowhammer

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by Airshowhammer »

capercaillie wrote:
harkins wrote: Wasn't there also the story that Patrulla Águila were also upset to the point of never returning after being shuffled off the display list due to weather one year? Maybe I'm imagining that one.


I think that one is just wishful thinking! :smile:


Brilliant. :grin: :lol:

Smog Monster
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat 08 May 2010, 8:46 am

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by Smog Monster »

The only display team I can think of where the highlight (genuinely) is watching them land!

User avatar
Gripenjetphotos
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat 07 May 2016, 6:30 pm

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

A bit harsh on the team really. They utilise an Aircraft that isn’t so oftenly seen around these parts, plus the demo is far from boring. I wouldn’t mind if they came this year. :cuppa:
Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

2019 shows:
Old Warden (Season Premiere)
RIAT (Thu, Sat, Mon)

User avatar
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 4:46 pm
Location: Farndon, Chester

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Gripenjetphotos wrote:A bit harsh on the team really. They utilise an Aircraft that isn’t so oftenly seen around these parts, plus the demo is far from boring. I wouldn’t mind if they came this year. :cuppa:


Smoggie's point is that the Aguila perform a very cool formation landing.

I agree though, their demo is far from boring to me too, its very well flown. But if you're the type that looks at the aeroplane rather than what its doing, the C-101 isn't the most spectacular sight and sound.

harkins wrote:It's also likely that in 10 years that the turnover of personal flying and non flying has changed so much that any upset must surely have been diluted a lot.

Wasn't there also the story that Patrulla Águila were also upset to the point of never returning after being shuffled off the display list due to weather one year? Maybe I'm imagining that one.

Anyway, fingers crossed the Turkish Stars return this year.


Yeah I heard that rumour about Aguila too. They've been back since and went down very well in very nice weather.

I would love to see the Turkish Stars back. All those F-5s in formation, what's not to like.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

coanda
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 8:52 pm

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by coanda »

I am very happy to see all displays, teams, solos, flypasts - you name it. I'm there for the aircraft and the skills on show.

If I wanted to ask for anything I would very much like to see the Ukrainians again, if its possible to increase their presence with an Su25, Mig 29 or (and I would jump around like a little girl at Disney) a Fencer. Similarly an increase in Japanese presence (those pretty F4s and Eagles...) Would be awesome. Seeing as its FIA same week I'm also going to say a ShinMaywa US-2.

Enough dreaming....back to work.

User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff
Posts: 5384
Joined: Mon 14 Mar 2011, 11:39 pm

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by Tommy »

Something much closer to home, I think, but I read somewhere last week that the Army Air Corps Gazelles will be gone by the end of this year(?), would like a few more opportunities to see them whilst they're still around, or indeed, that very shy Bell 212!

User avatar
capercaillie
Posts: 7596
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 3:04 pm
Location: Leominster

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by capercaillie »

Tommy wrote:Something much closer to home, I think, but I read somewhere last week that the Army Air Corps Gazelles will be gone by the end of this year(?), would like a few more opportunities to see them whilst they're still around, or indeed, that very shy Bell 212!


Are any Bell 212s still in use, I think two were shipped off to Canada in civilian scheme earlier this month and at least one other was seen stored recently? I only ever saw one at Waddo, luckily arriving in some glorious sunshine, and that one has gone already! :sad:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff
Posts: 5384
Joined: Mon 14 Mar 2011, 11:39 pm

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by Tommy »

capercaillie wrote:
Tommy wrote:Something much closer to home, I think, but I read somewhere last week that the Army Air Corps Gazelles will be gone by the end of this year(?), would like a few more opportunities to see them whilst they're still around, or indeed, that very shy Bell 212!


Are any Bell 212s still in use, I think two were shipped off to Canada in civilian scheme earlier this month and at least one other was seen stored recently? I only ever saw one at Waddo, luckily arriving in some glorious sunshine, and that one has gone already! :sad:


Ah balls and arse. Didn’t know that. :sad:

User avatar
aviodromefriend
Posts: 2397
Joined: Sat 26 Jun 2010, 2:22 pm

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by aviodromefriend »

Rossbeef wrote:I remember at Mildenhall when I was very young (I can't remember what year but the weather was atrocious!) I remember seeing the Stars on the ground then my parents told me we were leaving to go home. I shouted that I wanted to see the Turkish Stars and cried!
Must have been Air Fete '98 then. It was the only time they were at an Mildenhall show.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7184
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by CJS »

I know this has been done to death (so if you're sick of it, simply move on :wink: ) but with the Norwegian Vampire pair being confirmed today ( :up: ), I am thinking that ex-RAF types (not including Warbirds because we all know which of those are possible) that we might *realistically* see flying at RIAT this summer - even if only in the massed flypast - could include:

One or more of the UK based Jet Provosts
One or both of the MB Meteors
One or more of the HHA based Hunters
WZ507 Vampire from the Vampire Presevation Trust
Greek F-4
Spanish Harrier

Anything else? It's a wishlist, so my question is genuine - do UKARians think some / all / none of the above?

And like I said, if you're not interested, please don't tell me it's been done to death. In fact, here's one of these :facepalm: and one of these :wall: to save you the bother :butt:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

User avatar
Gripenjetphotos
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat 07 May 2016, 6:30 pm

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

CJS wrote:I know this has been done to death (so if you're sick of it, simply move on :wink: ) but with the Norwegian Vampire pair being confirmed today ( :up: ), I am thinking that ex-RAF types (not including Warbirds because we all know which of those are possible) that we might *realistically* see flying at RIAT this summer - even if only in the massed flypast - could include:

One or more of the UK based Jet Provosts
One or both of the MB Meteors
One or more of the HHA based Hunters
WZ507 Vampire from the Vampire Presevation Trust
Greek F-4
Spanish Harrier

Anything else? It's a wishlist, so my question is genuine - do UKARians think some / all / none of the above?

And like I said, if you're not interested, please don't tell me it's been done to death. In fact, here's one of these
:facepalm: and one of these :wall: to save you the bother :butt:



We could have a JP in the flying, but I’d imagine the rest to be on static display if coming at all. :up:
Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

2019 shows:
Old Warden (Season Premiere)
RIAT (Thu, Sat, Mon)

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7184
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by CJS »

Maybe there could be an area at the eastern end where ex RAF aircraft for the flypast and / or displays are parked up for static viewing before taking off? Which has been happening in recent years anyway.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

Post Reply