RIAT 2018 wishlist

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Havoc

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by Havoc »

Re the Italian or Spanish Harriers...well they've BOTH attended over the years..(Matador was 94, granted).

Why do the Chinese "owe us"?

And as for the 24...only one "friendly" country springs to mind, and I believe it's part of Tom's personal wishlist (aircraft, not air arm!)

Berf

Post by Berf »

Havoc wrote:
Why do the Chinese "owe us"?

Recent Red Arrows tour

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

AARDVARK wrote:It would be lovely to have some static airframes brought in such as the Harrier/Phantom/Lightning to represent the gap that will be glaringly present from say 1960 to modern day,it’s a shame that the majority of the aircraft that we associate with the post war RAF are no longer flying !

Isn't that exactly what Cosford are doing? Lets keep Fairford for all the interesting foreign military items! :music:

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

Spotty_Jag wrote:Isn't that exactly what Cosford are doing? Lets keep Fairford for all the interesting foreign military items! :music:

That's my wish too. For those of us living in the UK there's plenty of scope to see RAF airframes be it flying from our bases or in museums.

My wish is for lots of exotic participants from other countries, hopefully spurred on by our celebrations.

JJC

Post by JJC »

jason82wells wrote:
Spotty_Jag wrote:Isn't that exactly what Cosford are doing? Lets keep Fairford for all the interesting foreign military items! :music:

That's my wish too. For those of us living in the UK there's plenty of scope to see RAF airframes be it flying from our bases or in museums.

My wish is for lots of exotic participants from other countries, hopefully spurred on by our celebrations.

Precisely. Diversity in participants/structure of celebrations across UK is the best way forwards. Cosford seems to have the ‘RAF through the ages’ theme nailed down, no reason why Fairford shouldn’t be the international birthday bash giving all RAF’s friends and allies a chance to say Happy Birthday. Otherwise, we might as well have a touring exhibit of static airframes doing the whole country.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Spotty_Jag wrote:
AARDVARK wrote:It would be lovely to have some static airframes brought in such as the Harrier/Phantom/Lightning to represent the gap that will be glaringly present from say 1960 to modern day,it’s a shame that the majority of the aircraft that we associate with the post war RAF are no longer flying !

Isn't that exactly what Cosford are doing? Lets keep Fairford for all the interesting foreign military items! :music:

They are but I feel RIAT would be better served ,it was a magnificent display for the 100yrs of flight show ,I just think if you are going to do the RAF justice these airframes should be present,you are making it sound like you have to choose which you don’t ,why would it have a detrimental affect on foreign participation?

FullCarrot

Post by FullCarrot »

Any chance of the Tornado Role Demo team being resurrected for the 100th Anniversary?
Certainly something I want to see this year given the imminent demise of what was the poster child of the RAF for me growing up.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

FullCarrot wrote:Any chance of the Tornado Role Demo team being resurrected for the 100th Anniversary?
Certainly something I want to see this year given the imminent demise of what was the poster child of the RAF for me growing up.

This. You’d think as the Tornado draws nearer and nearer to its demise next year and it being the 100th anniversary, a special one off celebration and possibly the last time we see them in RAF roundels at RIAT they’d go out with a bang!

FullCarrot

Post by FullCarrot »

Airshowhammer wrote:
FullCarrot wrote:Any chance of the Tornado Role Demo team being resurrected for the 100th Anniversary?

This. You’d think as the Tornado draws nearer and nearer to its demise next year and it being the 100th anniversary, a special one off celebration and possibly the last time we see them in RAF roundels at RIAT they’d go out with a bang!

For me this celebration will be wildly lacking if an aircraft such as the Tornado and all that it has contributed during its career is not given the opportunity for a swan song and I couldnt think of a more fitting event to do it.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

I think sadly the best we can expect is a 6/9 ship flyby on the Friday ....
The Tornado force is sadly dwindling by the month and I just can’t see them having the manpower or funds to work up a role demo,love to be proved wrong thou.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

I think sadly the best we can expect is a 6/9 ship flyby on the Friday ....
The Tornado force is sadly dwindling by the month and I just can’t see them having the manpower or funds to work up a role demo,love to be proved wrong thou.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

9 could be a third of the available Tornado fleet in the UK should Shader still being going. Taking crew out into account you'd have to have at least 12 jets manned to get 9 airborne. So you are getting close to half the fleet if not more :shock:

Not heard anything about Tornado taking part in the 100 flypast. Rumours

20 Typhoons for the '100'
At least 9 Tucano
9 Reds
BBMF which could be 9? If all the fleet are ready
So another 53 aircraft / helicopters to find :lol: if they are going for 100
Gary

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

I would be surprised if they are totally omitted from the flypast but I guess all will be revealed.

harkins

Post by harkins »

I'd guess that given the ever dwindling numbers available, if we see any Tornados in the flypast there might be a pair trailing a Voyager in a kind of AAR simulation.

I think we all know that the role demo will not happen. I just think it's sad that in all likelihood when the time comes that the Tornado does retire, we won't get an event such as the Phantom retirements we've seen at Wittmund and Larissa or even the recent Alpha Jet event in Portugal - and they only had six and they're even more skint than we are!

FullCarrot

Post by FullCarrot »

Sadly guys I would suspect you’re all right and that we would be lucky to even see one airborne, I just think it’s a travesty to let that aircraft disappear quietly.
Maybe the Italians can bring their A200 back this year but I would prefer to see one in home colours

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

harkins wrote:I'd guess that given the ever dwindling numbers available, if we see any Tornados in the flypast there might be a pair trailing a Voyager in a kind of AAR simulation.

I think we all know that the role demo will not happen. I just think it's sad that in all likelihood when the time comes that the Tornado does retire, we won't get an event such as the Phantom retirements we've seen at Wittmund and Larissa or even the recent Alpha Jet event in Portugal - and they only had six and they're even more skint than we are!

The TGRF need someone like Wing Commander Sullivan who saw the Jaguars out in style. With the Marham a massive building site, also the incident a couple of years ago and F-35 arriving in the near future the base is on heightened security measures. I can't see a big event like Phantoms being held at Marham, if the event happens more likely limited to the last few enthusiast events, limited numbers. Although something like the great II(AC) Sqn centenary event :cool: would be much welcomed

Just hope they manage to get a couple of Tornados on static and in the flypast, that would be 4 of the remaining jet. That should be doable :grin:

Anyway back on wishlist

The Hungarian Air Force have taken delivery of the first of two A319, would be nice to make a maiden visit, if it's ready :grin: http://indafoto.hu/dynax_7/magyar_legiero_airbus_a319
Gary

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Oh, goody....that would be another dull grey airliner to stick in the static park with all the other dull grey airliners..... :lol:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

138EAW wrote:The Hungarian Air Force have taken delivery of the first of two A319, would be nice to make a maiden visit, if it's ready :grin: http://indafoto.hu/dynax_7/magyar_legiero_airbus_a319

Must be very important, that MiG21 is bowing! :shock:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Thomas Beting

Post by Thomas Beting »

German CH-53
German Tornado
Mig 29
Su-30
Malaysian F-18
US or Spanish- Harrier
Norweigan F104
Swiss Hunter
Flying F-15 :rock: :rock:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Tommy wrote:
capercaillie wrote:
Tommy wrote:Something much closer to home, I think, but I read somewhere last week that the Army Air Corps Gazelles will be gone by the end of this year(?), would like a few more opportunities to see them whilst they're still around, or indeed, that very shy Bell 212!

Are any Bell 212s still in use, I think two were shipped off to Canada in civilian scheme earlier this month and at least one other was seen stored recently? I only ever saw one at Waddo, luckily arriving in some glorious sunshine, and that one has gone already! :sad:

Ah balls and arse. Didn’t know that. :sad:

Looks like you may still be in luck mate, I see one was out on the SPTA last week. Why the fleet has been chopped down though :dunno: ???
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

All the 212s are going eventually.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Surely while 84 Sqn still operate the HAR version and the army in Brunei, they'll still need to retain one or two (B212 /412) for conversion , unless they outsource conversion? It's been very quiet about 84 Sqn future
Gary

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

The Army ones have never been used for conversion on to the RAF's 412 fleet, I guess it was done on the squadron itself?

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

84 Squadron will remain using the Griffin HAR2 in Cyprus beyond the OSD for the Griffin HT1 as a flying training aircraft (which will retired at the end of March). Conversion to the Griffin HAR2 in Cyprus has always been done on unit and will continue to be done so, nothing to do with the Army's B212 fleet. The exact OSD for the B212 is unknown to me, but I believe the contract expires at some point this year, but no news has been released on what will replace the aircraft overseas so who knows the situation?

verreli

Post by verreli »

In the next 3 months the line up for this special RIAT year will be announced. To date we have F16, F18, F35 and Gripen. It's unimaginable that UK Typhoon will not also join the line up. That's a fantastic line up for any air show but what other types are possible? Please add your thoughts.

A-4 - Independent - Maybe static
A-10 - USAF - Unlikely
B1 - USAF - Possible static
B2 - USAF - Possible static
B52 - USAF - Possible Static
F-4 - Greek - Unlikely
F-5 - Turkey - Possible due to Turkish Stars
F-14 - Iran - No
F-15SG - Singapore - Wishful - 50th Anniversary jet
F-15E - USAF - Possible Static
F-18F - Boeing - Possible due to Farnborough
F-18G - Australia - Outside chance due to RAF100
F-22 - USAF - No
GR-4 - UK - Likely Flyby
J-10 - China - Maybe with August 1st
J-20 - China - Outside chance due to Farnborough
JF-17 - Pakistan - Possible due to Farnborough
Mig29 - Poland - Possible
Su-30 - India - Low
Su-35 - Malaysia - Low
Su-57 - Russia - No
U-2 - USAF - Maybe Static
Harrier - USMC/Spain - Unlikely
Hawk - UK - Likely Flyby and Red Arrows
Jaguar - India - Unlikely
Rafale - France - Low - Attended last year
Mirage - UAE - Maybe Static
Last edited by verreli on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.