Typhoon in colour?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
HeyfordDave111

Typhoon in colour?

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Hi,

On the ‘fenceline’ At Marham today word was out that Conninsby are about to announce something special and it seems like a painted (decal I think) Typhoon.

Anyone know any more?
Got to love Russianhardware

138EAW

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Post by 138EAW »

The display pilot hinted something on Twitter

Engineering Day on 29(R) Squadron so no flying today
We may have some BIG news coming very soon so keep checking back here....✈️
#BringTheNoise2018 #RAF100 #NoOrdinaryJob #MondayMotivation
Gary

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Black and red like the other corporate tails that have been done..?

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Raspberry ripple/ Tornado Gr1 camo/ all black with saint emblem on the tail Any of them will be fine by me! Any geniuses on here able to knock them up? :love:

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

Anyone have a 100yr Birthday coming up soon...?
Canon systems

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Airshowhammer wrote:Raspberry ripple/ Tornado Gr1 camo/ all black with saint emblem on the tail Any of them will be fine by me! Any geniuses on here able to knock them up? :love:

Any of those would be totally inappropriate especially for 100 years of the RAF?
Raspberry ripple applied to test and research aircraft is nothing to do with the RAF. All black with a saint on the tail - I take it you're referring to previous 16 squadron special paints, a unit the Typhoon has never served with? The only active Typhoon unit with a Tornado GR heritage is 2 squadron (not counting 41 squadron as a front line unit) and I still don't see painting a display Typhoon up as a Tornado serves as a commemoration of 100 years of the RAF?

Surely you have to use the roundel colours of the RAF over RAF blue with appropriate 100 years scrolling to come up with a proper design? :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

capercaillie wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:Raspberry ripple/ Tornado Gr1 camo/ all black with saint emblem on the tail Any of them will be fine by me! Any geniuses on here able to knock them up? :love:

Any of those would be totally inappropriate especially for 100 years of the RAF?
Raspberry ripple applied to test and research aircraft is nothing to do with the RAF. All black with a saint on the tail - I take it you're referring to previous 16 squadron special paints, a unit the Typhoon has never served with? The only active Typhoon unit with a Tornado GR heritage is 2 squadron (not counting 41 squadron as a front line unit) and I still don't see painting a display Typhoon up as a Tornado serves as a commemoration of 100 years of the RAF?

Surely you have to use the roundel colours of the RAF over RAF blue with appropriate 100 years scrolling to come up with a proper design? :whistle:

Shows what i know! Union Jack Typhoon it is! :grin:

effects

Post by effects »

29 Sqn's 1918 colours would be great, X's on sides of the fuselage and on tops of wings, massive full colour roundels all of this applied over a silver paint finish.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Cole

Post by Cole »

Airshowhammer wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

Shows what i know! Union Jack Typhoon it is! :grin:

oooh :up: :rock:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Maybe GiNA has been brought back? - Paint scheme repainted.......?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

effects wrote:29 Sqn's 1918 colours would be great, X's on sides of the fuselage and on tops of wings, massive full colour roundels all of this applied over a silver paint finish.

It would, however this is the 100th anniversary of the RAF, not the 100th anniversary of 29 squadron, so it should be something to represent the whole RAF. Lets face it anything more substantial than a corporate logo sticker will be something to be positive about.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Did anything ever come of this?

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

I think it’s still in the offing, and there’s word coming out of Marham of a GR4 going into a grey green camo but instead of a spray job, it will, apparently be a vinyl wrap.

Not sure how that would look to be honest, but if if adds colour, bring it on.

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:I think it’s still in the offing, and there’s word coming out of Marham of a GR4 going into a grey green camo but instead of a spray job, it will, apparently be a vinyl wrap.

Not sure how that would look to be honest, but if if adds colour, bring it on.

Is a vinyl wrap flyable...? Or would this be a static airframe only? :question:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Vinyl wraps are seen on a lot of aircraft which fly up to 600 knots, so I suppose it might be possible but not my bag as I’d rather have a proper paint job.

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Don't hold me to this, but as far as the team itself are aware, the Typhoon should have the red, RAF100 logo on the tail at a bare minimum. Everyone is hoping for something a bit more extravagant!
Nikon D500

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Eh... personally speaking, I really don't feel very enthused about that weird RAF100 logo thing.

Another corporate logo without much... IDK... heart?

Beefy

Post by Beefy »

Sorry not into "text speak" IDK? "I don't know" at a guess?

I forget the English language has even been bastardised for forums, and of course we all now what it means! So you can't use aircraft serials or Airfield ICAO codes in the titles of threads (because apparently on an aircraft forum readers wouldn't understand what they mean - at least that's what the "UKAR rules" state) but you can type in text speak and that's fine... :dizzy:

And from a moderator too... modern times I suppose.

Sorry for digressing and back to what I was actually going to type... 25 years ago at RAF Marham on 1st April, the RAF celebrated its 75th Anniversary and what a celebration it was! The planned 175 aircaft flypast didn't happen due to the attrocious weather conditions on the day but as I recall every aircraft type, representing every operational squadron (even down to the VGS gliding schools were represented - whom I happened to be part of) were on the airfield. The practice flypasts leading up to the event were witnessed across East Anglia and it really was a celebration of the Royal Air Force.

25 years later and the R.A.F. has been decimated to the point where it is almost laughable at the state they are in. I'm surprised they can even muster a flypast there are so few airframes available. How, very, very sad and depressing.

The Typhoon will just have a "special tail", which will look all nice and shiny... on a airframe that they haven't painted and looks as dull as ditch water. They may as well not bother.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Still, glass half full eh...

No-one on here (afaik - look it up ;-) ) knows what the flypast will consist of at RIAT. IIRC (look it up ;-) ) there have at least been sightings of 9 Tucanos together for example. Really don't think the RAF should be judged just yet, do you?

As for the first part of your post...lol (look it up ;-) )
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Beefy wrote:Sorry not into "text speak" IDK? "I don't know" at a guess?

I forget the English language has even been bastardised for forums, and of course we all now what it means! So you can't use aircraft serials or Airfield ICAO codes in the titles of threads (because apparently on an aircraft forum readers wouldn't understand what they mean - at least that's what the "UKAR rules" state) but you can type in text speak and that's fine... :dizzy:

And from a moderator too... modern times I suppose.

Heh. What can I say? Man's a maverick. You now know what it is so I suppose it seems a bit pointless now, but I can edit my post if it'll make you feel better?

Anyway, AFAIK, United Kingdom Airshow Review's rules do or say nothing to expressly prevent subject titles consisting of aircraft serials or ICAO codes? Perhaps I'm having a bit of a brain fart - could you point that part out to me?

(What's ICAO, btw?)

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

ICAO is the International Civil Aviation Organization,

A little known search engine could have told you that :wink:

CJS, I thought there was rumblings that the RAF 100 flypast would consist of 100 aircraft, but not sure where/when I heard that...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

harkins

Post by harkins »

Tommy wrote:Eh... personally speaking, I really don't feel very enthused about that weird RAF100 logo thing.

I'd go further and say it's awful and that I hate it. What happened to the RAF ensign and RAF blue? Red? Really? It's a branding error as bad as that Royal Mail/Consignia fiasco. You only get one 100th birthday and that was the best they could come up with? Someone should hang their head in shame. It's so piss poor, it's very hard to imagine that they'll put any effort into special markings on any aircraft.

And as far as a 100 aircraft flypast is concerned; is that even practically possible? 9 Tucano, something about 27ish Typhoon forming a 100, maybe nine Hawks, another 9 of the Reds. There's only 30 Tornados left now and I think I read 9 are in Cyprus whilst the retiring of airframes slowly continues. That leaves a lot of pressure on the very stretched transport and ISTAR elements. Mind you, I suppose they might just scrape it with helicopters and Tutors. Given the number of airframes, operational commitments, serviceability and other factors such as childbirth mean it would be one hell of an achievement.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

harkins wrote:
Tommy wrote:Eh... personally speaking, I really don't feel very enthused about that weird RAF100 logo thing.

I'd go further and say it's awful and that I hate it. What happened to the RAF ensign and RAF blue? Red? Really? It's a branding error as bad as that Royal Mail/Consignia fiasco. You only get one 100th birthday and that was the best they could come up with? Someone should hang their head in shame. It's so piss poor, it's very hard to imagine that they'll put any effort into special markings on any aircraft.

And as far as a 100 aircraft flypast is concerned; is that even practically possible? 9 Tucano, something about 27ish Typhoon forming a 100, maybe nine Hawks, another 9 of the Reds. There's only 30 Tornados left now and I think I read 9 are in Cyprus whilst the retiring of airframes slowly continues. That leaves a lot of pressure on the very stretched transport and ISTAR elements. Mind you, I suppose they might just scrape it with helicopters and Tutors. Given the number of airframes, operational commitments, serviceability and other factors such as childbirth mean it would be one hell of an achievement.

Compares poorly with 100 Lincolns as just part of a 1950 RAF flypast......

Maybe they need some help. Flying Legends usually summons about 20 aircraft for the Balbo, that's 20% of what the RAF need. BBMF can perhaps supply 6 fighters, a Lanc and a Dak. Plus a couple of Chipmunks would make another 10%.

Leaving only 70 aircraft to be found by the "operational" RAF.... No. We need a contribution from the Great War Display Team. And Shuttleworth. And a composite formation of all those Allied Air Forces who kept us going during WWII: Poles, Czechs, French, Belgians, Dutch, Norwegians, Danes.... oh yes, the Americans too.

In fact, can we make 100 without the RAF?

John

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Could be worse, it's the FAA centenary in 2024 they must already be scratching their heads as to what they are going to be able to put up

st24

Post by st24 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Compares poorly with 100 Lincolns as just part of a 1950 RAF flypast......

John

Not sure as to what flypast you refer but if it was the 1953 Coronation review there were only a "mere" 45 Lincolns in that- a small element of the 572 RAF aircraft that flew over Odiham that day! Numbers for that event are just staggering- 240 Meteors for instance, 32 Chipmunks, 60 Sabres including 36 from the RCAF, 48 Canberras, 61 Vampires and Venoms with 12from the RAAF.... 300 odd on static so nigh on 870 aircraft involved! More recent flypasts have paled into insignificance - 138 in total at the Finningley '77 Silver Jubilee, 62 in the' 08 QBF, 90 in the RIAT '08 RAF 90th, and 78 in the Diamond Jubilee QBF.
Im sure they'll do alright....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!