Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
HeyfordDave111

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

IgnatiusJReilly wrote:
Tolatrafi wrote:Latest money making schemes! :whistle:
https://i.m3.to/c2325/a7b12a8fa8cb55fba17a9cdb01b56251.jpeg

"See Victor XM715 in the original hangar used for XH558's restoration"
Oh, the irony... either someone at the trust has an incredibly dry sense of humour...
or it's just one massive, elaborate, wind-up..

or, dare i say it, not very bright? :-X
Got to love Russianhardware

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Will the Victor be flying?

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
IgnatiusJReilly wrote:

Oh, the irony... either someone at the trust has an incredibly dry sense of humour...

I didn't think they could get any aeroplanes in that hangar now, given the current tenants. I wonder if any of the money raised is being donated to the operators of the aircraft being viewed at Bruntingthorpe too?

So ironic though.

You can get the victor and vulcan in that hangar now. In the past when 558 was there only half of it was open. Today its fully open so plenty of room.

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

vulcan558 wrote:
IgnatiusJReilly wrote:

I didn't think they could get any aeroplanes in that hangar now, given the current tenants. I wonder if any of the money raised is being donated to the operators of the aircraft being viewed at Bruntingthorpe too?

So ironic though.

You can get the victor and vulcan in that hangar now. In the past when 558 was there only half of it was open. Today its fully open so plenty of room.

That whole hangar hasn't got tenants?

Post by 106500 »

The negativity on this forum is breathtaking! This is a really positive and imaginative event and something to look forward to. Well done VTTS! (did enjoy the multiple references to XH558 not being able to attend though! I can understand why - bound to be some expecting a fly in) :smile:

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

MicrolightDriver wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:
IgnatiusJReilly wrote:

So ironic though.

It has. It's used by Mannheim.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Gregg wrote:
MicrolightDriver wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:
IgnatiusJReilly wrote:

So ironic though.

It has. It's used by Mannheim.

Every Wednesday, they drive a few hundred cars through it.

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

The hangar has car auction structures inside it, has it not?

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

It has indeed. Smack bang in the middle of it, still squeeze the Victor in though.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

GertrudetheMerciless wrote:The hangar has car auction structures inside it, has it not?

Have the auctions not moved in to hangar 42 now.?

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Xm657 wrote:And I see there is another "limited" chance to have your name on the wing. Presumably these once in a lifetime opportunities will continue until the wings are completely covered in names, or there is nobody else that's bothered (which ever comes first)!
They will be planning to continue with the fin or the fuselage, I'm afraid. You're name or the name of your loved one is on the wing, now get it also on the other parts of the aircraft. Lots of supporters will fall into that trap.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

XP282

Post by XP282 »

106500 wrote:The negativity on this forum is breathtaking! This is a really positive and imaginative event and something to look forward to. Well done VTTS! (did enjoy the multiple references to XH558 not being able to attend though! I can understand why - bound to be some expecting a fly in) :smile:

Really?... Imaginative? I don’t see that.

st24

Post by st24 »

DonaldGrump wrote:
aviodromefriend wrote:
DonaldGrump wrote:and if people wish to discuss it then why should'nt they
Because we're now in a situation that it is impossible to happen. It is Doncaster or the scrapman now. If it would be the second option there are some problems to be expected with the HLF, so it will remain to be the first option. Like it or not.

You may hold the opinion that the conversation will in reality serve little purpose, and of course you are right. That doesnt mean people dont want to discuss it, and if they do what harm is it doing anyone?

If I go and start a thread asking the question what would have happened if the RAF had lost the battle of Britain I am sure it would not be dismissed as pointless??

At least the thread is still getting traffic in what is in many ways becoming a forum in deep decline and a shaddow of what it was a few years ago.

No wonder it's in such a state when people can't even spell shadow.. :tongue2:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Apparently they are using printed stickers for the ‘names’, so I imagine a rectangular sticker ‘plate’ of sorts.

However, in such temperature swings with an aircraft outside (or anything that has a sticker outside), the sticker becomes brittle, and the adhesive loses ‘stickiness’, so I wonder how this is overcome on 558?

I’d be very interested to know their sticker vendor for some work I can put their way if these stickers do not degrade in such a manner.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Apparently they are using printed stickers for the ‘names’, so I imagine a rectangular sticker ‘plate’ of sorts.

However, in such temperature swings with an aircraft outside (or anything that has a sticker outside), the sticker becomes brittle, and the adhesive loses ‘stickiness’, so I wonder how this is overcome on 558?

I’d be very interested to know their sticker vendor for some work I can put their way if these stickers do not degrade in such a manner.

I'd imagine they will be just left to rot and decay..that seems to be the modus operandi of the merry men at Robbing Hood.. :tumbleweed:

DonaldGrump

Post by DonaldGrump »

st24 wrote:
DonaldGrump wrote:
aviodromefriend wrote:
DonaldGrump wrote:and if people wish to discuss it then why should'nt they
Because we're now in a situation that it is impossible to happen. It is Doncaster or the scrapman now. If it would be the second option there are some problems to be expected with the HLF, so it will remain to be the first option. Like it or not.

You may hold the opinion that the conversation will in reality serve little purpose, and of course you are right. That doesnt mean people dont want to discuss it, and if they do what harm is it doing anyone?

If I go and start a thread asking the question what would have happened if the RAF had lost the battle of Britain I am sure it would not be dismissed as pointless??

At least the thread is still getting traffic in what is in many ways becoming a forum in deep decline and a shaddow of what it was a few years ago.

No wonder it's in such a state when people can't even spell shadow.. :tongue2:

Do tell me, when you look in the mirror each day do you see an arrogant oaf? If not I would suggest a trip to Specsavers. Please be careful when you make your descent from the summit of Mt Superior to attend said opticians. After all you don't want to fall and break your neck. You might want to pop in the newsagents to pick up your copy of "Nimby Monthly" whilst you are down with the peasants. :butt:

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

XP282 wrote:
106500 wrote:The negativity on this forum is breathtaking! This is a really positive and imaginative event and something to look forward to. Well done VTTS! (did enjoy the multiple references to XH558 not being able to attend though! I can understand why - bound to be some expecting a fly in) :smile:

Really?... Imaginative? I don’t see that.

Indeed. Not really imagination has gone into this, more like desparation.

I can't imagine anyone in the hangar (apart from Mr Pleming and his paid hangers-on) not scratching their heads and asking - explain to me again why we are looking at a Victor and you landed 558 at Doncaster?

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Be nice if they did ask though, all at once, en mass!

Bet they get a “bruntingthorpe is falling apart, no fire cover, not good enough, no roof for 558, we hate David Walton so much that we brought you here to take the pee’ type answer. :lol:

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Yes. "And the runway is crap for all our fast taxiing and airworthy aircraft. Oh hang on we don't do that".

It's nice that David Walton can still be kind enough to lend them his hangar after everything that's happened.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Xm657 wrote:Yes. "And the runway is crap for all our fast taxiing and airworthy aircraft. Oh hang on we don't do that".

It's nice that David Walton can still be kind enough to lend them his hangar after everything that's happened.

Indeed....i’d Have told them to go forth and procreate.

MicrolightDriver

Xm657 wrote:

Does make you wonder just how serious the much talked about 'rift' ever was.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Or David, I suspect, is being the ‘bigger man’.

MicrolightDriver

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Or David, I suspect, is being the ‘bigger man’.

Could well be, as per the May 2011 Open Day?

st24

Post by st24 »

DonaldGrump wrote: Do tell me, when you look in the mirror each day do you see an arrogant oaf? If not I would suggest a trip to Specsavers. Please be careful when you make your descent from the summit of Mt Superior to attend said opticians. After all you don't want to fall and break your neck. You might want to pop in the newsagents to pick up your copy of "Nimby Monthly" whilst you are down with the peasants. :butt:

:grin: :grin: My mirrors are some of the luckiest in the country... :kiss: :love: Oh and I get "Nimby Monthly" online....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

MicrolightDriver wrote:
Xm657 wrote:

Does make you wonder just how serious the much talked about 'rift' ever was.

There was certainly some ill feeling towards the end of restoration period, although I think that was more between Felicity and the Waltons. But I dont think Mr Pleming and David Walton ever fell out. Many people though at the time that the bizarre decision not to return 558 to Bruntingthorpe must have been due to a rift, but in fact as we now know for sure David Walton would have loved 558 back. It was down to Mr Pleming's ambitions and belief that Doncaster was better. That decision may eventually prove to be sound, but I doubt it, 558 could have been enjoying a great retirement at Bruntingthorpe, maybe even with her own hangar by now. Mr Pleming made a decision, probably the wrong one and this event opens the wound again highlighting how disastrous Doncaster has turned out to be and how great Bruntingthorpe could have been.