Duxford Air Festival 2018

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Post Reply
Airshowhammer

Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by Airshowhammer »

Thought i'd get the ball rolling. Set to be on the weekend of the 26-27th May. Only 4 months to go! Always really look forward to this one as it kicks off my airshow season. What aircraft would you like to see make an appearance? I'd like to see a bit more burner, International participation and a little less of the fill in acts like the Wingwalkers and Autogyro. Belgian F16/ Typhoon/ Swiss Hornet/ CV-22 display, Patrouille De France & possibly a US heavy flypast from a B-52 or KC-135. The Oil Spill 727 would be a welcome addition also.
For warbirds i'd like to see the Dutch B-25 and A26 Sugarland Express if its still out and about?

User avatar
rdchawk
Posts: 3493
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 7:39 pm

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by rdchawk »

My local rag have mentioned the only aircraft confirmed so far are the Tiger 9 display team and the aerosuperbatics wingwalkers.
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

Finningley Boy
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sun 12 Oct 2008, 10:07 am

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by Finningley Boy »

Airshowhammer wrote:Thought i'd get the ball rolling. Set to be on the weekend of the 26-27th May. Only 4 months to go! Always really look forward to this one as it kicks off my airshow season. What aircraft would you like to see make an appearance? I'd like to see a bit more burner, International participation and a little less of the fill in acts like the Wingwalkers and Autogyro. Belgian F16/ Typhoon/ Swiss Hornet/ CV-22 display, Patrouille De France & possibly a US heavy flypast from a B-52 or KC-135. The Oil Spill 727 would be a welcome addition also.
For warbirds i'd like to see the Dutch B-25 and A26 Sugarland Express if its still out and about?


you'll be giving the Vintage fly-in at Cosford a miss then! :cuppa: :wink:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

borismorris
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu 14 Apr 2016, 6:48 am
Location: North West Shropshire

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by borismorris »

Finningley Boy wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:Thought i'd get the ball rolling. Set to be on the weekend of the 26-27th May. Only 4 months to go! Always really look forward to this one as it kicks off my airshow season. What aircraft would you like to see make an appearance? I'd like to see a bit more burner, International participation and a little less of the fill in acts like the Wingwalkers and Autogyro. Belgian F16/ Typhoon/ Swiss Hornet/ CV-22 display, Patrouille De France & possibly a US heavy flypast from a B-52 or KC-135. The Oil Spill 727 would be a welcome addition also.
For warbirds i'd like to see the Dutch B-25 and A26 Sugarland Express if its still out and about?


you'll be giving the Vintage fly-in at Cosford a miss then! :cuppa: :wink:

FB :biggrin:


It never gets boring does it
:tumbleweed:

Finningley Boy
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sun 12 Oct 2008, 10:07 am

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by Finningley Boy »

Mr Morris, you shouldn't encourage me! :biggrin:

FB :wink:

PS I'm sure there'll be a Typhoon flying! :cuppa:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

borismorris
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu 14 Apr 2016, 6:48 am
Location: North West Shropshire

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by borismorris »

I'd gladly bet you there will be more than one afterburning item in the Cosford flying display Mr boy.

But that has nothing to do with Duxford does it..

So lets keep Cosford on Cosford eh :roll:

:pinkwafer:

Finningley Boy
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sun 12 Oct 2008, 10:07 am

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by Finningley Boy »

borismorris wrote:I'd gladly bet you there will be more than one afterburning item in the Cosford flying display Mr boy.

But that has nothing to do with Duxford does it..

So lets keep Cosford on Cosford eh :roll:

:pinkwafer:



Reading another thread, anything else with an afterburner won't be a Tornado, unless its an Italian one again, at this, the only RAF sponsored celebration of its own 100th Birthday. A quick note on the Tornado, it is still being heavily relied upon in the operation against Daesh, in relative terms. Indeed, wholly a quarter of all those remaining, that's quite a deployment of a single type. Yet the RAF are despatching them from service with what looks like unseemly haste. I'm sure there is a reason, but this centenary is looking, so far, like a dreadful valediction. :-X

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

User avatar
harkins
Posts: 1091
Joined: Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm
Location: Stockport

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by harkins »

Finningley Boy wrote:I'm sure there is a reason, but this centenary is looking, so far, like a dreadful valediction.
FB


Do you mean for the Tornado or the Royal Air Force as a whole? As much as I'm excited about the coming display season, at times I can't help but feel this is a bit like a humans 100th birthday. Barely aware of what's going on and will soon be deceased.

Finningley Boy
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sun 12 Oct 2008, 10:07 am

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by Finningley Boy »

harkins wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:I'm sure there is a reason, but this centenary is looking, so far, like a dreadful valediction.
FB


Do you mean for the Tornado or the Royal Air Force as a whole? As much as I'm excited about the coming display season, at times I can't help but feel this is a bit like a humans 100th birthday. Barely aware of what's going on and will soon be deceased.

I think both Harkins, I do not seek to be contrary on UKAR. My point is simply I'm irritated by hype dressing up a pedestrian, lacklustre endeavour as a spectacular one to remember. The RAF it would seem are unable and or unwilling to make a particular effort. Not entirely their fault, but Cosford is a most unsuitable choice of venue for holding an event, sponsored by and on behalf of the RAF. Make no mistake, this is their own party, not RIAT, far too many people think RIAT is an RAF event, it isn't, its well supported, indeed, better supported by the RAF than anything else, even Waddington and Leuchars often couldn't compete. However, Cosford is too small as an airfield to stage such an event as the RAF's centenary, it has no room. It has of course a fantastic museum, but you can go there anytime, like Duxford. When the Lightning, Buccaneer and Phantom retired they could manage something, at least a solo display and a large formation somewhere. Then of course they weren't supporting a deployment overseas at the same time. Then again the RAF are running down available airframes at quite a pace. It the aircraft is that vital against Daesh still, then why the rush to dispense with a heavily relied on aircraft anyway? It seems meeting targets for running down assets and saving money (or trying to) is the primary object of the exercise?!? Lord West makes a very good point about our attitude toward the Armed Forces, if the NHS or welfare budget had sustained the same rate of draw down or anything like, I shudder to imagine the public reaction, long before matters got so far. A question for you sir, do you think that HM Forces are being run down to the point of failure to make it easier to privatize the lot? :cuppa:

FB :confused:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

User avatar
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:23 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by jalfrezi »

The two huge capital outlays for two aircraft carriers (we don't need), and Trident (a contentious issue in itself), means that we can't maintain or replace the number of assets we currently have. Apparently the same problem (replacing their submarine nuke capability) is also on the horizon for France, it'll be interesting to see if they do replace theirs, or decide to maintain their current conventional capabilities.

@FB - don't give Cosford such a hard time, the people there are just trying to do the best job they can, while the RAF descends into a shadow of it's former self. If not at Cosford where else, Brize, Coningsby, and Waddington are non starters, and while Scampton has a longer runway the base facilities are not in great condition.

Maybe this should be a topic for another thread, as this thread isn't really the place for this discussion.

User avatar
capercaillie
Posts: 7691
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 3:04 pm
Location: Leominster

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by capercaillie »

Ah, the pick a thread and have a go at Cosford specialist appears again.

Too many Phantom Raspberry Blower episodes consumed with these random appearances. :ninja:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

Finningley Boy
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sun 12 Oct 2008, 10:07 am

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by Finningley Boy »

jalfrezi wrote:The two huge capital outlays for two aircraft carriers (we don't need), and Trident (a contentious issue in itself), means that we can't maintain or replace the number of assets we currently have. Apparently the same problem (replacing their submarine nuke capability) is also on the horizon for France, it'll be interesting to see if they do replace theirs, or decide to maintain their current conventional capabilities.

@FB - don't give Cosford such a hard time, the people there are just trying to do the best job they can, while the RAF descends into a shadow of it's former self. If not at Cosford where else, Brize, Coningsby, and Waddington are non starters, and while Scampton has a longer runway the base facilities are not in great condition.

Maybe this should be a topic for another thread, as this thread isn't really the place for this discussion.

I don't blame the organisers, as for other more realistic locations, how about the actual place they use to host flying participants for Cosford, because Cosford can't accommodate them; Shawbury? or Leeming, Odiham, Benson, Cranwell? Just think, all that's left is Lossiemouth and Marham, both also non-starters. And that as they say is that! Oh, Valley? Then again, like Lossie too far off piste. But indeed, that is everything there is now.

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

User avatar
Pen Pusher
Posts: 6541
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:34 pm
Location: St Ives, Cambs
Contact:

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by Pen Pusher »

Finningley Boy wrote:I don't blame the organisers, as for other more realistic locations, how about the actual place they use to host flying participants for Cosford, because Cosford can't accommodate them; Shawbury? or Leeming, Odiham, Benson, Cranwell? Just think, all that's left is Lossiemouth and Marham, both also non-starters. And that as they say is that! Oh, Valley? Then again, like Lossie to far off piste. But indeed, that is everything there is now
.FB


I'm confused. This has got to do with the Duxford Air Festival 2018 what?.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

Finningley Boy
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sun 12 Oct 2008, 10:07 am

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by Finningley Boy »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:I don't blame the organisers, as for other more realistic locations, how about the actual place they use to host flying participants for Cosford, because Cosford can't accommodate them; Shawbury? or Leeming, Odiham, Benson, Cranwell? Just think, all that's left is Lossiemouth and Marham, both also non-starters. And that as they say is that! Oh, Valley? Then again, like Lossie to far off piste. But indeed, that is everything there is now
.FB


I'm confused. This has got to do with the Duxford Air Festival 2018 what?.

Brian

If you're asking me specifically Brian, the answer is nothing, I'm merely responding to respondents to my initial observation which didn't stray too far off thread at all.

Go an' 'ave a cuppa! :cuppa:

Best Regards,

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

AngryAndyPandy
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu 23 Jun 2016, 1:51 pm

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

I'm not a regular to Duxford so am unfamiliar with how they run things with regards to announcing participants. Could anyone shed some light for me on when we can hope for a participant list to be released? Thanks!

User avatar
rockfordstone
Posts: 801
Joined: Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by rockfordstone »

ive got my eyes lined up for this one. currently debating whether or not do 1 day or 2

Stagger2
Posts: 1497
Joined: Thu 16 Jun 2011, 8:46 am

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by Stagger2 »

Still we have no idea on participation at this event, unless Brian is just teasing us? :wink:
Too many copy paste sites to credit, but the general situation appears to be:-
Duxford Air Festival 2018 flying aircraft. Flying Display Aircraft:
• Tiger Nine formation team (F)
• AeroSuperBatics WingWalkers (F)
• Great War Display Team (F) tbc
• PBY Catalina (F) tbc
Can't be long until the Calidus Autogyro gets confirmed following a Phoenix-like post-Scampton recovery?
So folks, don't hesitate to go ahead & order your 'earlybird tickets' for this Lucky dip event! :whistle:

User avatar
Pen Pusher
Posts: 6541
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:34 pm
Location: St Ives, Cambs
Contact:

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by Pen Pusher »

Stagger2 wrote:Still we have no idea on participation at this event, unless Brian is just teasing us? :wink:


Don't know and not fussed. I'm old school. As I've said before, I go to an air show because it's an air show and not what might be in it.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

User avatar
The Baron
Posts: 1359
Joined: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 8:23 pm

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by The Baron »

Stagger2 wrote:Can't be long until the Calidus Autogyro gets confirmed following a Phoenix-like post-Scampton recovery?

I thought the one that crashed at Scampton was a two seater and not the display machine?
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

NTFC1
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat 06 Feb 2016, 9:45 am

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by NTFC1 »

Stagger2 wrote:Still we have no idea on participation at this event, unless Brian is just teasing us? :wink:
Too many copy paste sites to credit, but the general situation appears to be:-
Duxford Air Festival 2018 flying aircraft. Flying Display Aircraft:
• Tiger Nine formation team (F)
• AeroSuperBatics WingWalkers (F)
• Great War Display Team (F) tbc
• PBY Catalina (F) tbc
Can't be long until the Calidus Autogyro gets confirmed following a Phoenix-like post-Scampton recovery?
So folks, don't hesitate to go ahead & order your 'earlybird tickets' for this Lucky dip event! :whistle:

To be fair the earlybird prices are being held right up until the 13th may.....Rafale never confirmed until the end of april last year so i'd imagine most people (myself included) would "wait and see" until early may based on what's announced,rather than buying tickets in jan/feb/march.
Hoping for some interesting updates nearer the time for what is usually my airshow season opener :up:

Airshowhammer

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by Airshowhammer »

Would like to see the Rafale again, was superb last year, or maybe even Couteau Delta?

PirateTrickster
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue 19 May 2015, 9:36 pm

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by PirateTrickster »

Is there any more news on the participants for this? Can't seem to find a list on the official website, and other sources only give the small handful of acts already mentioned further up the thread. I know it's still a little early although I would have expected more to be announced by now.

Agent K
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue 30 May 2017, 11:21 am

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by Agent K »

PirateTrickster wrote:Is there any more news on the participants for this? Can't seem to find a list on the official website, and other sources only give the small handful of acts already mentioned further up the thread. I know it's still a little early although I would have expected more to be announced by now.


I think the problem even more so this year is that the military (UK and abroad) have not committed to any dates or venues yet. Much is still to be confirmed. This has a knock-on affect to the whole airshow scene.

For example, I remember only a few years ago the BBMF publishing their proposed schedule for the year late January, yet we've not seen one this year, 2 months later than that.

I am led to believe that the line-up being planned and negotiated for both IWM Duxford organised airshows this year will be very good.

User avatar
Pen Pusher
Posts: 6541
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:34 pm
Location: St Ives, Cambs
Contact:

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by Pen Pusher »

Farner Werke (F+W) Schlepp C-3605 :yahoo:

AeroSuperBatics

TRIG Aerobatic Team

Farner Werke (F+W) Schlepp C-3605

Tiger 9 Formation Team

Great War Display Team

Global Stars Team

B-17G Flying Fortress - Sally B

Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina

Goodyear FG-1D Corsair

Grumman FM2 Wildcat

Hawker Sea Fury T-20

Hawker Fury FB11

Noorduyn Mk.IIb Harvard

North American T-6 Harvard

North American T-6 Harvard

North American T-6 Harvard

North American T-6 Harvard

North American T-6 Harvard

North American T-28 Trojan

de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk x4

Douglas C-47 Skytrain

Expect more exciting acts to follow!


https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/flyinglistDAF2018

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

User avatar
rdchawk
Posts: 3493
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 7:39 pm

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by rdchawk »

Wow such an uninspiring list so far...
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

Post Reply