Where has XH558 thread gone?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Brevet Cable

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Post by Brevet Cable »

https://www.aviationwales.com/doncaster-sheffield-airport-gets-long-haul-route-for-s19/
TUI will start flying to Orlando Sanford, Florida using a Boeing 787 Dreamliner for Summer 2019.(snip)

The announcement comes as TUI announces it’s most ambitious summer programme ever with an additional 110,000 seats being added at Doncaster Sheffield.

Flights and holidays to Pula, Croatia, Hurghada, Egypt, Kos, Greece and Bodrum, Turkey have also all been added to the programme from the airport.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:But even as a static example at Brunty or Elvington it would allow people to go and see her everyday the respective museums were open at a realistic price per person, and include way more than 2 other airframes.

And of course it's never been properly explained why a Dr Bob engine run costs many, many times what an XM655 or XL426 experience costs.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
HeyfordDave111 wrote:But even as a static example at Brunty or Elvington it would allow people to go and see her everyday the respective museums were open at a realistic price per person, and include way more than 2 other airframes.

And of course it's never been properly explained why a Dr Bob engine run costs many, many times what an XM655 or XL426 experience costs.

C'mon Dan...you know full well why..It's because 558 is the peoples aircraft..
It's not just some former flying beast that's confined to the fringes of an active airfield now...

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

While a road move might not make much economic sense if the best you could hope for is a bent airframe that could maybe limp up the runway. However, if we are to believe 558 is a special Vulcan that can pay it's rent on a new £3 million hanger, surely it would be worth keeping her as a running example of the type and possible to find the funds to do so.

I doubt there are enough Bruntingthorpe enthusiasts to foot the bill though. If a move is ever considered it will only be if matters become even worse at Doncaster. It's a vicious circle, it would be over VttST's dead body she's moved but the longer she festers at Doncaster the harder a move will be both technically and funding wise.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Actually, "over VTTS' dead body" is about right. The situation needs VTTS to go to the wall. Once that lot are out of the way and no longer involved in any capacity, a true volunteer operation can step in. Fresh faces and fresh ideas would perhaps drum up enough cash for a "one last time" fundraising effort to get the thing moved, however that might be done.

While the VTTS politburo remain in place there will be no change. I firmly believe they thought they were doing the right thing, but the stubbornness to admit they were wrong has put the future of three significant airframes in real danger.

Cosford need to step in to take the Swift, and VTTS need to disband and let volunteers sort out the future of 558 and 163.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Actually, "over VTTS' dead body" is about right. The situation needs VTTS to go to the wall. Once that lot are out of the way and no longer involved in any capacity, a true volunteer operation can step in. Fresh faces and fresh ideas would perhaps drum up enough cash for a "one last time" fundraising effort to get the thing moved, however that might be done.

While the VTTS politburo remain in place there will be no change. I firmly believe they thought they were doing the right thing, but the stubbornness to admit they were wrong has put the future of three significant airframes in real danger.

Cosford need to step in to take the Swift, and VTTS need to disband and let volunteers sort out the future of 558 and 163.

One of the Hangar mob actually said 558 would leave Doncaster "over my dead body".

IgnatiusJReilly

Post by IgnatiusJReilly »

The reality is that in all honesty, XH558 is now a liability to VTTS.
The truth of the situation is that the trust is little more than a merchandising outfit that happen to have to pay for an aircraft to be serviced occasionally.

If the trust was to realise that they could offload XH558 to keen volunteers, they could concentrate on their summer collection of fleeces mugs & trinkets, allowing them to save whatever money they are currently forced to spend on the aircraft. I'm sure life would be a lot easier.
No money to spend out on 'engineers', no need to spend money on a hangar. No awkward questions about fast taxi runs....
Given that their events programme now comprises organising talks around the country and setting up pop up shops... I'm not sure keeping XH558 actually fits with their core business. It's hardly been 'front and centre' for the last year or so anyway!
If they absolutely really needed to, they could continue to outsource actual 'aircraft based' activities to the collection at Bruntingthorpe...
:snack:

(Can I invoice for consultancy provided?)
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..

Jakspeed

Post by Jakspeed »

Gregg wrote:One of the Hangar mob actually said 558 would leave Doncaster "over my dead body".

That was at the last Family Day on 22nd January 2017 which I attended, I was pretty much aghast when he came out with that statement.......................

The same bloke also said the planning had already gone in and was being 'fast tracked' by Doncaster Council (blatantly not true) and that the steel for the hanger was already 'on order' - anybody round Donny seen a pile of steel hanging around going rusty? (Except for 558, a Canberra and a Swift of course! :lol: )

And this gentleman was a spokesperson for the Trust!! :clown:

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

VTTS, DR BOB, BRUNTY, PAYROLL, DONCASTER, I BOUGHT A LOTTERY TICKET ONCE, ARRGGGGHHH

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

:grin: :worship:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Reds Rolling wrote:VTTS, DR BOB, BRUNTY, PAYROLL, DONCASTER, I BOUGHT A LOTTERY TICKET ONCE, ARRGGGGHHH

Good work.

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

Yep, rather an improvement. Sadly never going to happen (as discussed above), but a massive improvement on current public accessibility.

GertrudetheMerciless

Jakspeed wrote:
Gregg wrote:One of the Hangar mob actually said 558 would leave Doncaster "over my dead body".

That was at the last Family Day on 22nd January 2017 which I attended, I was pretty much aghast when he came out with that statement......

The same bloke also said the planning had already gone in and was being 'fast tracked' by Doncaster Council (blatantly not true) and that the steel for the hangar was already 'on order' - anybody round Donny seen a pile of steel hanging around going rusty? (Except for 558, a Canberra and a Swift of course! :lol: )

And this gentleman was a spokesperson for the Trust!! :clown:

During Dan's interview Dr Bob did state he expected the hangar to be built by now. :whistle:

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

How many people on here believe, genuinely, this hangar will ever get built?

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:How many people on here believe, genuinely, this hangar will ever get built?
Maybe it will be build. But in the end it will never see a Vulcan inside. A lot more profitable organisation to the airport will take over before VTTS can get in.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

XR219

Post by XR219 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:How many people on here believe, genuinely, this hangar will ever get built?

I believe, genuinely, that when it is built your quotes from this thread should be projected on to one of the walls in a very large font size.
@steveliddle558
Vulcan to the Sky Trust Trustee (although expressing my own views)

Full Flaps

Post by Full Flaps »

I think you are missing a key part of the plan.... that an investor builds the hangar on behalf of the Trust; not the airport.
That investor would no doubt seek a suitable land-lease and agree terms with the Airport and Trust that suits all parties.

In that, a return on the investment made by any investor would be factored in over whatever timescale the interested parties are comfortable with.

I do not see it as a speculative build for someone else (or organisation) to rent, but purpose built for XH558.

Skymonster

Post by Skymonster »

XR219 wrote:

I believe, genuinely, that when it is built your quotes from this thread should be projected on to one of the walls in a very large font size.

I believe, genuinely, that people who still want a hangar to be built at Doncaster are now part of the problem, not the solution.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Skymonster wrote:
XR219 wrote:

I believe, genuinely, that people who still want a hangar to be built at Doncaster are now part of the problem, not the solution.

I believe, genuinely, that you've hit the nail on the head.

IgnatiusJReilly

Post by IgnatiusJReilly »

Full Flaps wrote:I think you are missing a key part of the plan.... that an investor builds the hangar on behalf of the Trust; not the airport.
That investor would no doubt seek a suitable land-lease and agree terms with the Airport and Trust that suits all parties.

I believe, genuinely, that's a very naive & simplistic view of the world.
The only card the trust holds is a planning permission which really just provides confidence to any competitor that their own application for a commercial venture is nigh on guaranteed to be successful.

The airport own the land, they're a commercial enterprise. They will work with whichever partner offers them the best return, not forgetting that this isn't just about ground rent, but business that drives landing fees, ground services etc. etc.
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

IgnatiusJReilly wrote:
Full Flaps wrote:I think you are missing a key part of the plan.... that an investor builds the hangar on behalf of the Trust; not the airport.

I believe, genuinely, that's a very naive & simplistic view of the world.
The only card the trust holds is a planning permission which really just provides confidence to any competitor that their own application for a commercial venture is nigh on guaranteed to be successful.

The airport own the land, they're a commercial enterprise. They will work with whichever partner offers them the best return, not forgetting that this isn't just about ground rent, but business that drives landing fees, ground services etc. etc.

So, what's stopping anyone who fancies building a hangar on airport land to get the airport's permission, get the council's permission, crack on and build it and lease it out to whoever wants it at the going rate? Why would anyone want to build something for VTTS, whose financial state is dependent on flogging a few fleeces and Airfix kits, and promise only to lease it out to them on their terms, just because it's VTTS who have obtained initial planning permission?

It will never, ever get built.

You say "naive", others might be less kind and say "hare-brained" or "delusional".

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I would be astonished if there were still people out there willing to buy into the VTTS pipe dream of a shiny new hangar for 558.... won't happen, was never going to happen. The continued attempts by the Trust to raise funds for this are merely attempts to keep the wolves from the hangar door so to speak, I think time is going to be called on VTTS very soon if I'm honest.

GertrudetheMerciless

In that, a return on the investment made by any investor would be factored in over whatever timescale the interested parties are comfortable with.

I do not see it as a speculative build for someone else (or organisation) to rent, but purpose built for XH558.

To be fair, I can't see where that investor will come from. What are they going to get in return for their investment? A benefactor may have been more useful; sadly the Jack Hayward's of this world are few and far between (on this side of the Atlantic). I know there's the "Hanger 7" pipe dream, but is that at all realistic?

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

My view is they used the good will of Bruntingthorpes,
The good will of the RAF,
The good will of Doncaster,
and now they are stuck, to put it bluntly in the "Kris Kris Tofferson!" at the sewage works.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

vulcan558 wrote:My view is they used the good will of Bruntingthorpes,
The good will of the RAF,
The good will of Doncaster,
and now they are stuck, to put it bluntly in the "Kris Kris Tofferson!" at the sewage works.

You missed one more "good will" out.......the enthusiasts/general public, who had dug, time and again, into their pockets to see it in the air. We were all royally shafted over the debacle of the final flight and I have to say, whilst this lot are in charge, it's not one penny more from me.

Will the hangar get built? Who cares? Lets be honest, until those currently in charge are no longer so, anything any of "us" say won't make the blindest bit of difference. Sadly, by then, I fear it will be too late for 558 and unless something happens fairly quickly, the other 2 more historically significant aircraft, haven't got much hope either.

The Keyboard kid GIF posted earlier, had it about right since the last flight. :mad: