Typhoon in colour?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
harkins

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Post by harkins »

capercaillie wrote:True, but when their stablemates from Bruggen on 9, 17 and 31 squadrons rolled out their specials, 14 squadron must have wished the earth opened up a bit!

In that context yes. It's got the look of someone on the squadron having a child like strop on the day they were asked to submit a tail design. That 17 squadron Tornado looks amazing.

I guess when you look at these Tornados and the Chinooks and other squadron anniversary schemes, they do have a bit of an advantage over the RAF100 in terms of heraldry(?)/animals/colours to come up with something imaginative and varied schemes. But they can surely manage one good RAF100 scheme on one type at least.
Last edited by harkins on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Saw this doing the rounds on Twitter. Doesn't do the Tucano much justice either. :sick:

https://twitter.com/GroupLoo/status/978333328586739712?s=09

Image credit on Twitter.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Yes, 5 squadron's F3. :butt:

Another corker, how they must have pondered long and hard and during times of such colourful splendour within the RAF. :grin: And came up with that. :facepalm:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

harkins wrote:
capercaillie wrote:True, but when their stablemates from Bruggen on 9, 17 and 31 squadrons rolled out their specials, 14 squadron must have wished the earth opened up a bit!

In that context yes. It's got the look of someone on the squadron having a child like strop on the day they were asked to submit a tail design. That 17 squadron Tornado looks amazing.

I guess when you look at these Tornados and the Chinooks and other squadron anniversary schemes, they do have a bit of an advantage over the RAF100 in terms of heraldry(?)/animals/colours to come up with something imaginative and varied schemes. But they can surely manage one good RAF100 scheme on one type at least.

I guarantee our own Dan B, who designed the UKAR logo above could knock up something vastly superior to the RAF100 "Kris Kris Tofferson!" in 30 minutes.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Ryan. wrote:Saw this doing the rounds on Twitter. Doesn't do the Tucano much justice either. :sick:

https://twitter.com/GroupLoo/status/978333328586739712?s=09

Image credit on Twitter.

How on earth did they not only come up with this RAF100 logo in the first place, but actually get everyone (or enough people) to agree that it looked good and should be used? It's without any exaggeration that it absolutely stinks. It's the least imaginative design I think they could have come up with. When earlier compared to the Luftwaffe 60 design, one striking difference is that the circling contrail design meant it could be applied pretty much anywhere to any type, but this straight edged and squared design just looks so awkward and ill-fitting everywhere I've seen it. Kind of square peg - round hole.

It'd be fascinating to see what the rejected designs looked like :dizzy:

And just imagine it on an F-35 in the summer, in lo-vis grey. Maybe that'd actually be better.

I need a cracking RIAT update tomorrow more than ever!

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

capercaillie wrote:
andrewn wrote:probably the most un-special tail in history. Really poor effort, sadly :(

No, to be fair, did you ever see 14 squadron's 75 years Tornado? :whistle:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Panavia-Tornado-GR1/2437049?qsp=eJwtjTEOwkAMBL8SuaaJQBTp4ANQ8AHrbIWIcD5sIzhF%2BTvOiW40u9pdIEl2/vqtFoYBjFHTHXZQUPFpMCzw4PoRpWBw0YwkXX/o7PVGUslRNVE/14gJnU8pcXGmv78osW4RW2qrY7z0AazXxrA/hqfJyoxtgx2nGdb1BwuwM6Q%3D

I actually think that looks better than the Typhoon :hide:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Agg wrote:
capercaillie wrote:
andrewn wrote:probably the most un-special tail in history. Really poor effort, sadly :(

No, to be fair, did you ever see 14 squadron's 75 years Tornado? :whistle:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Panavia-Tornado-GR1/2437049?qsp=eJwtjTEOwkAMBL8SuaaJQBTp4ANQ8AHrbIWIcD5sIzhF%2BTvOiW40u9pdIEl2/vqtFoYBjFHTHXZQUPFpMCzw4PoRpWBw0YwkXX/o7PVGUslRNVE/14gJnU8pcXGmv78osW4RW2qrY7z0AazXxrA/hqfJyoxtgx2nGdb1BwuwM6Q%3D

I actually think that looks better than the Typhoon :hide:

You're just being optically deceived by the gorgeous camo. Imagine it on a grey Tonka, then try again. :grin:

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Haha, that might be it :lol:

verreli

Post by verreli »

harkins wrote:I guess when you look at these Tornados and the Chinooks and other squadron anniversary schemes, they do have a bit of an advantage over the RAF100 in terms of heraldry(?)/animals/colours to come up with something imaginative and varied schemes. But they can surely manage one good RAF100 scheme on one type at least.

The RAF have a crest that includes an eagle...
Their moto is 'Through adversity to the stars'...
Both could be use as the basis of great designs.

The typhoon display pilots helmet looks to have a stylised eagle design so don't give up all hope just yet. Shame the helmet has the RAF100 logo slapped on the back though.

harkins

Post by harkins »

True. I am banking on that helmet design being used on the aircraft too. It's just a pity that the god-awful logo will be on it somewhere.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

What helmet design?
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Helmet parade coming up. :whistle:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Don't worry, found it. I wouldn't bank on it being used on an aircraft design given that the designer and painter is a dedicated helmet painter.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TyphoonDisplay/status/978554656782802944[/tweet]

I'd still be shocked if there is no special scheme for this year's centenary. If that really is it, then someone at the RAF needs the chop.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

That's now a Typhoon and Tucano i've seen with that god awful hashed design. Still on the plus side it's good business for Vistaprint. :whistle:
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

tankbuster81 wrote:That's now a Typhoon and Tucano i've seen with that god awful hashed design. Still on the plus side it's good business for Vistaprint. :whistle:

And the poor old Victor at Marham has been tarnished with it as well. What its done wrong to deserve that treatment I have no idea. :sad:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Wissam24 wrote: the designer and painter is a dedicated helmet painter.

A bit harsh surely? :shock:

lozza

Post by lozza »

capercaillie wrote:
tankbuster81 wrote:That's now a Typhoon and Tucano i've seen with that god awful hashed design. Still on the plus side it's good business for Vistaprint. :whistle:

And the poor old Victor at Marham has been tarnished with it as well. What its done wrong to deserve that treatment I have no idea. :sad:

Add a Chinook to it as well :sad: :sad: :sad:

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Can't wait to see it on a Grob. :sick: I personally think part of the problem is the RAF don't have their own painters anymore. Back in the day if a Sqn wanted something done, it would probably have just been done. But now, since it has been privatised or PPI'd or whatever, everything has to be costed and accounted for. I'm sure if the RAF still had their own painters, Sqns and/or stations would be organising something off their own back.
Last edited by toom317 on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

lozza wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

Add a Chinook to it as well :sad: :sad: :sad:

A Helmet painter, and now stickers applied to Choppers! :wink:
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Is this the only aircraft to be painted??
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Just found this whilst discussing the subject elsewhere. Hadn't seen all the schemes in one place before: http://www.public.navy.mil/airfor/cente ... roject.pdf

drumm78

Post by drumm78 »

I'm embarrassed.next it will be no afterburner to conserve the fuel.get a grip RAF

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

I didn't think it could get any worse than the Typhoon. Then I saw the Tucano and Victor.

Good lord. Words fail me.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

cg_341 wrote:Just found this whilst discussing the subject elsewhere. Hadn't seen all the schemes in one place before: http://www.public.navy.mil/airfor/cente ... roject.pdf

Stunning. Just shows what can be achieved with a little thought, and a lot of pride in your military. The RAF even managed to screw up the colours and fonts of the camo Typhoon they flew a couple of summers ago.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Stupid question but with everyone on here there must be a good knowledge base available......

I wonder how much it would cost to vinyl a typhoon? Anyone?
Got to love Russianhardware