RIAT 2018 wishlist

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
harkins

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by harkins »

After a couple of fairly disappointing Thursdays and some nice additions at other shows, my anticipation levels are through the roof for this week. I guess that if we get any confirmations this week there's a fair chance that the Belgian F-16 or perhaps the Polish Mig-29 might be among them.

In terms of wishing, and having missed it last year, I'd really love to see the Italian Tornado return this year as it is the only way we'll see a Tornado display. Does anyone have any idea if it's even likely that it will be on the circuit again this year? Is the airframe still in its special scheme from last year or is it back to grey?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

There was rumours floating around that last year was the final season the RSV would display the Tornado, let's hope not, but after the tragic Typhoon crash as well I'm not sure what the plans will be.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

harkins wrote:In terms of wishing, and having missed it last year, I'd really love to see the Italian Tornado return this year as it is the only way we'll see a Tornado display. Does anyone have any idea if it's even likely that it will be on the circuit again this year? Is the airframe still in its special scheme from last year or is it back to grey?

I am led to believe that the jet used for last year's solo display, RS-01, is now back to operational grey colours.

harkins

Post by harkins »

capercaillie wrote:There was rumours floating around that last year was the final season the RSV would display the Tornado, let's hope not, but after the tragic Typhoon crash as well I'm not sure what the plans will be.

That's a good point. I'd forgotten about that when I posted. Quite possibly no RSV displays this year.

PeterR wrote:I am led to believe that the jet used for last year's solo display, RS-01, is now back to operational grey colours.

Definitely missed that then. Mind you, it was a little bit 'Red Bull Tornado' for my liking.

vbombers2

Post by vbombers2 »

Hoping the A400M returns and haven’t seen a Hind in the air for a while either.

verreli

Post by verreli »

I see ILA have A4's. If Top Aces are trying to drum up business, it could mean Farnborough and RIAT benefit. Anyone for an A4 flying display to make up for last years no-show?
Last edited by verreli on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

verreli wrote:Anyone for an A4 flying display to make up for last years no-show?
Working up a flying display in that [sarcasm]airshow-loving[/sarcasm] country called Germany. Are you serious or trolling?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

You could argue that they displayed an A-4 at the
Phantom bow out at Whitmund a few years ago.

While not totally aerobatic, the A-4 went tech and took the cable early, it was a display.
Last edited by HeyfordDave111 on Sun 01 Apr 2018, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got to love Russianhardware

verreli

Post by verreli »

aviodromefriend wrote:
verreli wrote:Anyone for an A4 flying display to make up for last years no-show?
Working up a flying display in that [sarcasm]airshow-loving[/sarcasm] country called Germany. Are you serious or trolling?

This thread is a wish list. Having said that, Top Aces (formerly Discovery Air Defence) is a Canadian company and would likely use their senior pilot to do a display and a Germany based machine to limit cost. The air combat service market is growing rapidly and it doesn't hurt to be visible to prospective customers, many of whom will be at RIAT on the Friday. The RAF for instance has short listed TA for the Air Support to Defence Operational Training (ASDOT) capability contract. I would still consider a static item most likely, if at all, but never say never.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Following today's update, it'd be great to see an RAF example join the three C-17s already confirmed and as far as a wish is concerned, I wish that we might see one or two more, maybe Australian and Indian examples? I think that would be 2/3rds of the world's operators. In fact, I can't see any user of the C-17 being too far fetched a participant. Globemaster-Fest!

F-5F

Post by F-5F »

Probably more chance of getting an Australian or Indian aircraft than one of our own RAF, even at their own 100 year birthday party!

harkins

Post by harkins »

Just out of curiosity; I occasionally I see photos from BAe Warton of a Tornado IDS in Saudi markings but, carrying a UK military serial and RAF roundels and fin flash. Does it belong to BAe, the RSAF, the RAF or the MOD? Is it there now or just an occasional visitor? I just thought that it would make an interesting addition to the static line-up, although I imagine its a very unlikely participant.

A real front line Saudi Tornado would have course be incredible, but I guess also not going to happen.

harkins

Post by harkins »

I think I'll just copy and paste today's Radom update:

+ Pakistan Air Force JF-17 Thunder (D)
+ Pakistan Air Force Super Mushshak (D)
+ Slovak Air Force MiG-29 (D)
+ Romanian Air Force MiG-21 (D)
+ Czech Air Force Mi-24/35 Hind (D)
+ Czech Air Force Mi-17 (D)

Even half of those items would be nice at Fairford.

The Radom organisers must have some dirt on on some Air Chiefs or something.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

It'll be interesting to compare the final lineups of the 100th Anniversary of Polish Airforce vs RAF 100 at RIAT.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

harkins wrote:I think I'll just copy and paste today's Radom update:

Wow.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Imagine we had a Thursday update like that? Think i’d need my asthma pump :grin:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

harkins wrote:Just out of curiosity; I occasionally I see photos from BAe Warton of a Tornado IDS in Saudi markings but, carrying a UK military serial and RAF roundels and fin flash. Does it belong to BAe, the RSAF, the RAF or the MOD? Is it there now or just an occasional visitor? I just thought that it would make an interesting addition to the static line-up, although I imagine its a very unlikely participant.

A real front line Saudi Tornado would have course be incredible, but I guess also not going to happen.

Its happened before. :smile:

verreli

Post by verreli »

capercaillie wrote:
harkins wrote:Just out of curiosity; I occasionally I see photos from BAe Warton of a Tornado IDS in Saudi markings but, carrying a UK military serial and RAF roundels and fin flash. Does it belong to BAe, the RSAF, the RAF or the MOD? Is it there now or just an occasional visitor? I just thought that it would make an interesting addition to the static line-up, although I imagine its a very unlikely participant.

Its happened before. :smile:

It's a Saudi machine loaned to BAE Systems for use in support of trials related to enhanced capabilities. It flies in UK airspace with a BAE test pilot to UK military regulations, hence the temporary UK serial. I understand it's due to return to Saudi before RIAT.

harkins

Post by harkins »

capercaillie wrote:Its happened before. :smile:

I've a photo of one on static in '95. If that's the last time it's been a while.

verreli wrote:It's a Saudi machine loaned to BAE Systems for use in support of trials related to enhanced capabilities. It flies in UK airspace with a BAE test pilot to UK military regulations, hence the temporary UK serial. I understand it's due to return to Saudi before RIAT.

Thought it would be something like that. Pity it's leaving soon as I've occasionally considered heading up to Warton on the off chance of seeing it.

Airshowhammer wrote:Imagine we had a Thursday update like that? Think i’d need my asthma pump :grin:

:lol:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

harkins wrote:I think I'll just copy and paste today's Radom update:

Guess the distances between those countries and Radom are shorter compared to Fairford.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

CJS

Post by CJS »

Less guess, more, y'know...fact.

But distance is not a barrier per se - New Zealand is as far away as you could wish to get but they've been on numerous occasions (albeit not with fighters I know).
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

CJS wrote:Less guess, more, y'know...fact.

But distance is not a barrier per se - New Zealand is as far away as you could wish to get but they've been on numerous occasions (albeit not with fighters I know).

That is correct, but we've had MB339 twice before. :whistle:

F-5F

Post by F-5F »

Re: Radom Update

To be fair is there really much more distance between Pakistan - Radom and Pakistan - Fairford?

Just playing Devil's Advocate but does anyone think RIAT are losing their position as the best/biggest military airshow? I sincerely hope this is not the case. The unofficial stance in the past has been that it is the place for the world's air forces to be seen.

It is appreciated that countries can only be invited and their attendance is not mandatory. Obviously there is quite some time to go and hopefully some great updates to come but considering the early frenzy to purchase tickets (myself included) for this "special" year what is the feeling concerning the current "confirmed" situation against other shows?

Does anyone feel RIAT may have become too "corporate" compared to other shows which are still primarily aimed at the enthusiast, possibly taking up some slack from Farnborough which appears to be on a downward spiral due to the new display restrictions. I must admit the amount of "suits" I witnessed last year was the most ever but on the other hand the corporate side brings in much needed additional revenue.

Having attended every show since the late 80's it would be useful to hear other's opinions. Granted the world situation since the 80's/90's is very different but I'm just comparing RIAT against the other shows within Europe competing for our money.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Last years Riat was the best show in years! :facepalm:
I do agree however about it becoming cooperate. Not nice to see.

verreli

Post by verreli »

F-5F wrote:Re: Radom Update

To be fair is there really much more distance between Pakistan - Radom and Pakistan - Fairford?

Just playing Devil's Advocate but does anyone think RIAT are losing their position as the best/biggest military airshow? I sincerely hope this is not the case. The unofficial stance in the past has been that it is the place for the world's air forces to be seen.

Does anyone feel RIAT may have become too "corporate" compared to other shows which are still primarily aimed at the enthusiast, possibly taking up some slack from Farnborough which appears to be on a downward spiral due to the new display restrictions. I must admit the amount of "suits" I witnessed last year was the most ever but on the other hand the corporate side brings in much needed additional revenue.

I think the reference to distance was to do with neighbouring countries supplying aircraft. Pakistan was a surprise but they're currently trying to sell the JF-17 and may see the former Eastern bloc nations as a viable market. There's still a possibility it will come to Farnborough and RIAT.

I think RIAT isn't necessarily the place to be seen, but the place to 'meet'. This will likely continue, especially if the organisers make this a feature of the show, albeit one not available to the general public. The evolution (decline) of the Farnborough trade show has almost certainly had an effect on RIAT. This is likely to continue. The one curve ball is what influence the American presence at Fairford will have in the future.