Duxford Air Festival 2018

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
8674planes

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by 8674planes »

6 Harvards, Sea Fury Duo and C-3605. Pretty decent start if i say so!
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Great to see the C-3605 :yahoo: on the list, 6 Harvards , 4 chipmunks and the 2 sea furys on the list. Looking forward to a good show :clap: :clap:
Thomas

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Its nice to see the Schlepp on the list, I haven't seen one of those for years, and also nice to see a gathering of Harvards, but other than that, well, nowt special. Hopefully a few things to be added.

And I shouldn't bite but can't help it...

8674planes wrote:Sea Fury Duo

Nope. One used to be a Sea Fury and is now a mongrel. No Centaurus = no Sea Fury. The other, gorgeous as it is, is a Fury. Pedantry on the latter i'll admit, as there's very little difference.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

....... No Centaurus = no Sea Fury........

So a Turbo DC-3 is no longer a DC-3 or a Spitfire with a Griffon is not a Spitfire?
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

A turbo DC-3, well probably no, that’s not the full article. Might look like a Dakota, but certainly doesn’t sound or perform like one.

A Griffon engined Spitfire is a totally different scenario as well you know. And absolutely legitimate.

The Centaurus is so part and parcel of a Sea Fury, so much of what it is, that it simply isn’t one without it. Your eyes see a Sea Fury and your ears don’t recognise it at all.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

To be fair, a lot of planes get re-engined for various reasons, IMO it doesn't cease to be a Sea Fury just because of the engine it has. The Il-2 in Russia has an Allison engine, I wouldn't say it's not an Il-2 just because of that fact. Of course you then also have the new build Yaks and Fw190's, and all of the other replicas. Should we start calling the Camel at Old Warden, the Shuttleworth Camel? :lol:

Would I rather the Sea Fury had a Centaurus - yes of course, but I'd also rather see it in the air than on the ground.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

jalfrezi wrote:To be fair, a lot of planes get re-engined for various reasons, IMO it doesn't cease to be a Sea Fury just because of the engine it has. The Il-2 in Russia has an Allison engine, I wouldn't say it's not an Il-2 just because of that fact. Of course you then also have the new build Yaks and Fw190's, and all of the other replicas. Should we start calling the Camel at Old Warden, the Shuttleworth Camel? :lol:

Would I rather the Sea Fury had a Centaurus - yes of course, but I'd also rather see it in the air than on the ground.

Yes, I fully agree with you Jalfrezi in all of those cases. All have the next best thing to their original power plant. But to me a Sea Fury is sacred, it and a Centaurus are inseparable, and a P&W with a 4 blade prop is absolutely no substitute. I couldn't endorse a Mustang, Spit or Hurricane with the wrong engine either. Purely a personal view of course.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
jalfrezi wrote:To be fair, a lot of planes get re-engined for various reasons, IMO it doesn't cease to be a Sea Fury just because of the engine it has. The Il-2 in Russia has an Allison engine, I wouldn't say it's not an Il-2 just because of that fact. Of course you then also have the new build Yaks and Fw190's, and all of the other replicas. Should we start calling the Camel at Old Warden, the Shuttleworth Camel? :lol:

Yes, I fully agree with you Jalfrezi in all of those cases. All have the next best thing to their original power plant. But to me a Sea Fury is sacred, it and a Centaurus are inseparable, and a P&W with a 4 blade prop is absolutely no substitute. I couldn't endorse a Mustang, Spit or Hurricane with the wrong engine either. Purely a personal view of course.

I think that's what it ultimately comes down to - a personal view. I don't personally view the Sea Fury with the same reverence as say the Spitfire or Hurricane, so I'm not so bothered by the P&W engine in the Sea Fury, I'd rather see it in the air. But I do see your point; I'd be disappointed if a Spitfire, Hurricane, or Lancaster was re-engined with anything other than a Merlin!

I wonder if there are people in Russia spitting feathers over the Il-2 using an Allison engine, and saying it's unpatriotic?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

jalfrezi wrote:I'd be disappointed if a Lancaster was re-engined with anything other than a Merlin!

Surely not that bad an option? :whistle:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Lancaster#/media/File:Lancaster_B_Mark_II_of_115_Squadron_RAF_1943_IWM_CH_19792.jpg
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

rambo

Post by rambo »

Wow you people do crack me up!!

I guess it depends on who you are.

If you're a pilot, then you'd prefer the Sea Fury with a P&W all day long!!!

If you're a "die hard" aviation enthusiast, then quite likely you prefer the Cent....but is a Cent on the ground better than a P&W in the air??? If you'd prefer a Cent on the ground, then quite frankly, you're no aviation enthusiast!!

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

capercaillie wrote:
jalfrezi wrote:I'd be disappointed if a Lancaster was re-engined with anything other than a Merlin!

Surely not that bad an option? :whistle:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Lancaster#/media/File:Lancaster_B_Mark_II_of_115_Squadron_RAF_1943_IWM_CH_19792.jpg

No, but I'd much prefer to see them on a Stirling! :heyhey:

b0ney-t

Post by b0ney-t »

Greetings,
New member.....(probable infrequent poster, mostly a visitor)....quick bio at the end of post.

I've been to Duxford while on layovers in Cambridge, but only on non-event days (only twice). I'm going to be in the London/Cambridge area for a family vacation (from the states) middle of July and would like to coordinate visiting the Duxford Air Festival 2018.
However, I have ZERO insight as to what to expect, reasonably.

Anyone care to enlighten us as to:
Logistics? Can one drive a car, or is it maddening? Public transportation advised?
Actually seeing the show. Are the crowds overwhelming? Is it worth to become a member, affording specialty seating?
Are the static displays and museum exhibits overwhelmed during this festival?
Should we simply visit Duxford on a non-event date?

Essentially, I'm looking for some good gouge on seeing the show. Most probably only a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see it with my whole family.

Thank you in advance,
b0ney-t

USMC F/A-18 pilot, USAF Air National Guard F-16 pilot, Operation Iraqi Freedom 2004, retired. Currently flying MD-11's for Fedex (Stansted). Warbird fan. Father of 15-yr old aviation fan. Husband of patient wife.... :clap:

timuss

Post by timuss »

b0ney-t wrote:Greetings,
New member.....(probable infrequent poster, mostly a visitor)....quick bio at the end of post.

I've been to Duxford while on layovers in Cambridge, but only on non-event days (only twice). I'm going to be in the London/Cambridge area for a family vacation (from the states) middle of July and would like to coordinate visiting the Duxford Air Festival 2018.
However, I have ZERO insight as to what to expect, reasonably.

Anyone care to enlighten us as to:
Logistics? Can one drive a car, or is it maddening? Public transportation advised?
Actually seeing the show. Are the crowds overwhelming? Is it worth to become a member, affording specialty seating?
Are the static displays and museum exhibits overwhelmed during this festival?
Should we simply visit Duxford on a non-event date?

Essentially, I'm looking for some good gouge on seeing the show. Most probably only a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see it with my whole family.

Thank you in advance,
b0ney-t

USMC F/A-18 pilot, USAF Air National Guard F-16 pilot, Operation Iraqi Freedom 2004, retired. Currently flying MD-11's for Fedex (Stansted). Warbird fan. Father of 15-yr old aviation fan. Husband of patient wife.... :clap:

You'll be to late for this airshow as this is in May.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

b0ney-t wrote:Greetings,

Thank you in advance,
b0ney-t

B0ney-t, This is just my opinion but I hope it gives you some insight.

I live in Cornwall and will be travelling to Duxford for the Air Fair in May and Battle of Britain Air Show in September. I have stayed in the Biggleswade/Sandy area ( nicely placed to also visit the Shuttleworth Trust at Old Warden) for the last 4 years and have had no trouble whatsoever with traffic either getting into or leaving Duxford. I usually arrive at just before 08.00 and leave late at 19/20.00 ( nice flight in the Rapide at the end of the day rounds off a great visit). Car parking is on base so access to your car is available whenever you wish ( just keep your ticket with you.)

As far as your other questions go, watching the show is no problem from just about anywhere on site . Photography is OK but not the best as there are large crowds and you are shooting into the sun ( always assuming its been booked for that day ! ). The museum is quite busy but still well worth a vist as are the various hangars where restoration work and storage are on view. The static park also gets very crowded during the day but is much clearer in the evenings. A flightline walk is offered for a price – about £6 so you can get a little closer to the aircraft.

If this is an only visit and you have a young person interested in aviation do not hesitate – go.

Best wishes and I hope you have a great time.

John

b0ney-t

Post by b0ney-t »

Ah...yes. I see what I did there. Flying Legends, July 14-15 is what I'm looking for.

Different thread I'm after most likely. Back to the search! Thanks for the point-out.

"Xray833'---
Thank you for that information. It's those little bits of info that really go a long way. I'll be certain to put it on the agenda.

bt

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

b0ney-t wrote:Ah...yes. I see what I did there. Flying Legends, July 14-15 is what I'm looking for.

Different thread I'm after most likely. Back to the search! Thanks for the point-out.

"Xray833'---
Thank you for that information. It's those little bits of info that really go a long way. I'll be certain to put it on the agenda.

bt

Yes it's Flying Legends you'll be after.
There's not much more I can add to what Xray has told you, but what I will say is that although I've fallen out of love with Duxford I'd advise anyone to make the effort and go just once. If you get the opportunity grab it with both hands. It's probably the best place to see the majority of rare and unique European warbirds in one place. Your 15 year old will love it.
There are plenty of people on this forum that I'm sure will help you out with as much as possible.
Most importantly, enjoy your trip.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Needs some burner :music:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

No Typhoon :sad:

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Bit surprising as that weekend is free in the schedule.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Don't expect many (if any) RAF aircraft/displays at the Air Festival - they will have everything at the Battle of Britain Show as it is closing the RAF100 "season."

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Airshowhammer wrote:No Typhoon :sad:

typhoon is doing the BoB show later in the year i believe

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Just over a month to go, seen posters all over the underground, nothing that really makes me want to attend yet! I hope there will be as i usually look forward to this being my first airshow of the year!

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Yes, I have to admit I was way more excited about this airshow than normal as last years was absolutely spectacular. At this rate I will not be attending.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Wonder if we’ll ever see the Swedish Historic Flight at Dux? Can’t help but think its the perfect venue!

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

As much as I would absolutely love to see them, unfortunately they won't be in the flying display at any shows in England due to problems with the pilots' display license/authorisation afaik (hopefully this can get sorted out!). Jersey has their own rules hence they are allowed to display there.