Where has XH558 thread gone?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Dan O'Hagan

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

High time those supporters who remain organised themselves into a proper pressure group to press for the removal of those at the top of the politburo.

Change isn't going to happen because of a few posts on a forum.

911T

Post by 911T »

Golly gosh all the covers are off it, must be the one off flight to elvingthorpe!

JetMan

Post by JetMan »

911T wrote:Golly gosh all the covers are off it, must be the one off flight to elvingthorpe!

Or (god forbid!!) the volunteer team have been doing some work!! Maybe they decided to wield their adjustable spanners again!!
Last edited by JetMan on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

JetMan wrote:
911T wrote:Golly gosh all the covers are off it, must be the one off flight to elvingthorpe!

Or (god forbid!!) the volunteer team have been doing some work!! Maybe they decided to wield their adjustable spanner’s again!!

The plural of spanner is spanners, much like the plural of cat is cats and much like the plural of dog is dogs.

Why the apostrophe?

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

Much like 'the people's aircraft'
The apostrophe can denote ownership...
See what I did there?
Canon systems

JetMan

Post by JetMan »

Big Eric wrote:
JetMan wrote:

Or (god forbid!!) the volunteer team have been doing some work!! Maybe they decided to wield their adjustable spanner’s again!!

The plural of spanner is spanners, much like the plural of cat is cats and much like the plural of dog is dogs.

Why the apostrophe?

Apologies, I forgot the grammar police are out in force on this forum!! But then again, I is only a unedjumacated simple folk... :tongue2:

CJS

Post by CJS »

I thought I was bad. :grin:
Last edited by CJS on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

JetMan wrote:
Big Eric wrote:
JetMan wrote:

Why the apostrophe?

Apologies, I forgot the grammar police are out in force on this forum!! But then again, I is only a unedjumacated simple folk... :tongue2:

Fair play, the grammar Nazis must have so little else to do..

I mean, spanner, spanners what does it matter?

Everyone knows the weapon of choice is a monkey wrench anyway.

:loser: :loser:

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

borismorris wrote:Fair play, the grammar Nazis must have so little else to do..

I mean, spanner, spanners what does it matter?

Everyone knows the weapon of choice is a monkey wrench anyway.

:loser: :loser:

You mean a monkey's wrench, right? :whistle:

bernarde

Post by bernarde »

Engine runs in about 45 mins.. A crowd gathering. :surrender:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Hi all.

CAA responded to my requests for information today.

Regarding a Permit to fly for a ferry flight;

1. Requirements for the issue of a Permit to Fly, including for ferry flights, are contained within CAP 553 BCAR Section A, specifically Section A3-7. This was updated in 2017, however this was for editorial purposes such as revised ANO references. The technical requirements are unchanged for a number of years from when G-VLCN was assessed and granted a Permit to Fly.

If the aircraft continues to meet the requirements of CAP 553 including those related to Organisation Approvals then it is eligible for a Permit to Fly.

So no changes to any existing rules regarding ferry flights on their side; and no changes from when the aircraft was actually flying. No new hoops to jump through, legislation, red tape or other restrictions.

Regarding discussions;

2. AVRO Vulcan G-VLCN (ex-XH558) was de-registered on 19-Aug-2017 as “Permanently Withdrawn From Use”. Therefore, there is no current operator to discuss such a matter with.

I'm trying to clarify that further by asking for details on past operators, but they provided that particular registration, my query was deliberately vague to cover any information that may have pertained to XM655 or XL426 in the past.

I missed a trick as I hadn't noticed XH558 had been de-registered, a month before the big Q&A 'fact' sheet...

Regarding whether the CAA would allow a ferry flight of a Vulcan;

3. As above, if the aircraft meets the requirements then it is eligible for a Permit to Fly.

Rich
Last edited by richw_82 on Thu 19 Apr 2018, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Woods
Team leader Avro Shackleton WR963
2009 - 2016
2019 -
http://www.facebook.com/avro.shackleton

CJS

Post by CJS »

Does "permanently withdrawn from use" include fast taxi runs? What are the CAA regs for such an event (if any)?

Thanks learned folk.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Thanks for obtaining this info Rich. The wording suggests that full OEM support if required for a ferry flight, so as we know this has been withdrawn it seems unlikely it is feasible. Whether RR, BAe, Marshalls et al could be persuaded to sign off on a ferry flight only is another matter - if they could the CAA seems to have no objection - but its a big if, I expect they would see it as a massive risk. 558 hasn't flow for years, has been stored outdoors, and tinkered with by volunteers with adjustable spanners afterall!!

The CAA has no interest or jurisdiction regarding taxi runs on private land. Remember even when Victor XM715 was accidentally flown they took no further action as it hadn't left the airfield boundary or gained significant altitude. They are drag racers rather than aircraft. However, while this is true at Bruntingthorpe which is not a licenced airfield, I think taxi runs are more complicated at a licenced airfield and certainly at an international airport, where other flying passenger planes could be affected. For instance: Wellesbourne have CAA regulations to adhere to regarding crowd line distance from the runway at their events, which Bruntingthorpe does not.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

CAP 553 in all it's glory, if anyone wants to read it :
http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP553BCARAI8A115Dec17.pdf
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

sooty655

Post by sooty655 »

Xm657 wrote:<snip> They are drag racers rather than aircraft. However, while this is true at Bruntingthorpe which is not a licenced airfield, I think taxi runs are more complicated at a licenced airfield and certainly at an international airport, where other flying passenger planes could be affected. For instance: Wellesbourne have CAA regulations to adhere to regarding crowd line distance from the runway at their events, which Bruntingthorpe does not.

For clarity, the requirement for XM655MaPS Wings and Wheels to comply with CAP403 came from the local council EHS, rather than the CAA, the idea being that although we weren't an airshow, we should comply as far as possible with the relevant requirements. We can only assume that the council responsible for Bruntingthorpe don't take as much interest.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Thanks for the clarification sooty655.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

So, Bob-A-Job and co have the first public engine runs of The People's Aircraft available for booking.

Naturally at a price point most of those "People" will be able to afford, brace yourselves...

Arrive at the Ramada Hotel on the edge of Doncaster Sheffield Airport to your Welcome Meeting with refreshments and drinks provided.

Take in your briefing, then depart through security (Valid photo I.D. required) to board a coach that will take you to the engine ground-running bay.

See the ground crew prepare the aircraft for power-on.

Witness the aircraft come to life, with all Olympus engines started and control surfaces exercised.

See the operation of the bomb-bay doors and air-brakes.

Hear application of full-power to selected engines and the famous Vulcan 'howl'.

Shutdown and then close under-wing inspections complete the airside visit before returning to the coach.

9am arrival - only 30 places available - Adults @ £100 per head

1pm arrival - only 30 places available - Adults @ £100 per head

Kids tickets are £75 a pop. "Inspiring The Future" etc.

So, imagine a family of four. Two adults. Two sprogs. £350. To watch a former aeroplane not even move.

What kind of gullible idiots are out there to pay this?

Marathon Milkshake

Post by Marathon Milkshake »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:

At least 60 of them, most definately a lot more. Go watch a Lancaster for £8.50 :rock:
Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Marathon Milkshake wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:

At least 60 of them, most definately a lot more. Go watch a Lancaster for £8.50 :rock:

yup thats half the problem there are gullible people out there that think the VTTS is still doing a great job. Deluded doesn't come close... :(

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

The "sport are VTT'S" brigade.

A HUNDRED pounds to hear an aeroplane engine run for a few minutes. You could comfortably fly to some European shows for that sort of money.

ianf

Post by ianf »

If you want to hear a V bomber giving a engine run for the public, go to Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington next Sunday (29th) Victor XL 231 will be running as well as our Nimrod Buccaneer, Dakota,Devon SE5a and east church Kitten. Its £12 per adult and you get the museum to look round for free! you can even talk to the crew we don't bite! well not all of us :lol:

Lindy is privately owned and we welcome donations, I think we prove as does the other Vulcan teams, that you can run and operate safely a large complex aircraft without the huge infrastructure 558 has.

Oh and Lindy is more powerful too! :tongue:

Ok bear face plug over, but you get my point?
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

XL391

Post by XL391 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:A HUNDRED pounds to hear an aeroplane engine run for a few minutes. You could comfortably fly to some European shows for that sort of money.

Perhaps they have no interest in ‘flying to European Shows’ and would much rather listen to 558 for a few minutes.

But then you’ve never liked other people’s opinions have you Dan. If it’s not the same opinion as yours it’s the wrong opinion.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Its truly amazing people are prepared to pay this amount of money just for an engine run. But as apparently they are why dont the other two runnable Vulcans not cash in on this and do some paid engine runs themselves, think of the funds they could raise that wouldn't have to be syphoned off in wages and consultancy fees. The VRT are doing a £5 visit their Vulcan, but why not up the price and run the engines - might be enough to get some money for hangar rent.

CJS

Post by CJS »

XL391 wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:A HUNDRED pounds to hear an aeroplane engine run for a few minutes. You could comfortably fly to some European shows for that sort of money.

Perhaps they have no interest in ‘flying to European Shows’ and would much rather listen to 558 for a few minutes.

But then you’ve never liked other people’s opinions have you Dan. If it’s not the same opinion as yours it’s the wrong opinion.

Actually I think on this occasion it's probably every sane person's opinion. £75 for a child's ticket to this event, however you look at it, is just ridiculous. It's as if they don't want children there.