RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
IP1960

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by IP1960 »

rdchawk wrote:Just noticed this from BBMF website for RIAT - Friday's flight looks awesome

13th July - RAF Fairford (RIAT) Time TBC - LHHSSSSD

14th July - RAF Fairford (RIAT) Time TBC - LHHSD

15th July - RAF Fairford (RIAT) Time TBC - LHHSD

Yes that's a lovely 8-ship for Friday - it seems a good while since I saw Lanc, Hurricane, Spitfire and Dak together in the sky. :clap:

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

harkins wrote:It seems fairly simple to me; ladders should be allowed along most of the line but must be set further back by a few meters with some gaps between blocks. They could also be restricted to 4 or 5 step max as there's no need to be in orbit. Just enough for an average height person on steps to be able to see over an average height person stood at the front.

At the end of the day I guess there is no perfect solution to keep everyone happy as the area is fairly small and the demand is sky high. A grandstand would make a significant difference though.

I know many people don't like ladders and I appreciate why in most situations but I also feel that having ladders set back as suggested above would work, after all, a hundred people up ladders is a hundred extra places available at the front.

I've been in situations other than RIAT, where there has been just enough room for everybody at the front, with a couple of rows of ladder bearers behind and everybody is happy, whereas if ladders were not allowed, there would have been twice as many people elbowing for space at the front.

I know it's not good for people stuck behind the ladders, especially those not taking photos but you get to a point where if you want pictures, you just have to get there earlier, which has sometimes meant I have not bothered in recent times.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

The argument that ladders mean more people can see is nonsense. Your typical Fairford ladder has a footprint the size of two people. Add to that that "Bob" spends half of his time not even up said ladder and it's pretty evident he is taking up way more space than dare I say he is entitled to.

Im not for one minute suggesting RIAT should take up music gig mentality and cram 'em in like sardines but there would be a lot more space in these restricted enclosures if ladders were not permitted. I'm half waiting for the day when someone rocks up with a cherry picker.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

borismorris wrote:The argument that ladders mean more people can see is nonsense. Your typical Fairford ladder has a footprint the size of two people. Add to that that "Bob" spends half of his time not even up said ladder and it's pretty evident he is taking up way more space than dare I say he is entitled to.

I'm not for one minute suggesting RIAT should take up music gig mentality and cram 'em in like sardines but there would be a lot more space in these restricted enclosures if ladders were not permitted. I'm half waiting for the day when someone rocks up with a cherry picker.

If you are there this year have a look at the people sitting behind the first row of people sitting/Standing at the fence, With the blokes taking shots standing up at the fence line for most of the day the people sitting behind the 1st row can't see anything or take photos anyhow. Some people are actually sitting 20-30ft back in the middle of the enclosure. A Ladder say 2 -3 ft back from the Crowd line is perfect sense. Try measuring how much those fold up seats take up. The add in the Windbreakers and the Golf umbrelllas.

Nothings gonna change though I imagine, even standing on a camera box is a no no with the Security people there. :dunno:
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Thank God we're back onto ladders, the tedium of posts about that MiG21 :roll: was doing my head in. :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

capercaillie wrote:Thank God we're back onto ladders, the tedium of posts about that MiG21 :roll: was doing my head in. :whistle:

:clap:

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

As someone who has never seen a Mig-21 display before, I was wondering... What type of step ladder would be best to use to take photos? :whistle:

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

Rossbeef wrote:As someone who has never seen a Mig-21 display before, I was wondering... What type of step ladder would be best to use to take photos? :whistle:

You could bring a Trabant with you and stand on the roof. :grin:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Rossbeef wrote:As someone who has never seen a Mig-21 display before, I was wondering... What type of step ladder would be best to use to take photos? :whistle:

Take one in kit form, although it may be more useful for a Fitter. :up:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

If the display at Ostrava in 2016 is anything to go by, he does a couple of VERY low passes, so any form of ladder should be sufficient to allow you to shoot parts of the routine from above... :grin:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

capercaillie wrote:

Take one in kit form, although it may be more useful for a Fitter. :up:

Fitter is static only isn't it?
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

harkins

Post by harkins »

For the best photo of the LanceR display I recommend putting your ladders somewhere around Gloucester.

verreli

Post by verreli »

capercaillie wrote:Thank God we're back onto ladders, the tedium of posts about that MiG21 :roll: was doing my head in. :whistle:

Lets face it, DBH is a dealer. At 12:00 on a Thursday they hand out a high which lasts for a couple of hours, then comes the comedown where talk turn to ladders, then we go cold turkey and discussion goes way off topic. This week DBH, like all good dealers, handed out a quick fix to keep the addiction going until the next big hit.

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

Do the Romanians usually bring a spare display jet when away from home?

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

Witchcraft24 wrote:Do the Romanians usually bring a spare display jet when away from home?

And is there a support aircraft?

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

duffspeed wrote:
Witchcraft24 wrote:Do the Romanians usually bring a spare display jet when away from home?

That'll be the Spartan going into the static park.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

The Baron wrote:
duffspeed wrote:

That'll be the Spartan going into the static park.

Ah yes. Missed that bit, cheers. :up:

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

Are the Luffwaffa step ladders any good? Stop it everyone. Just stop it! :tongue:

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Only 200 early bird tickets remaining on the Friday. Saturday 75% sold already!

JensSr

Post by JensSr »

Let's bring it to riat!
Dutch special tail:
https://twitter.com/VlbLeeuwarden/statu ... 9446003712

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

JensSr wrote:Let's bring it to RIAT!
Dutch special tail:

Agreed, very classy. :clap: :clap:

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Dutch special tail:

:clap: love it! :up:

Canberra TT.18

Post by Canberra TT.18 »

Dutch special tail:

Is also (ex) RAF Sqn.
So very fitting for RAF 100 Theme.

Pieter

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Georgeconna wrote:If you are there this year have a look at the people sitting behind the first row of people sitting/Standing at the fence, With the blokes taking shots standing up at the fence line for most of the day the people sitting behind the 1st row can't see anything or take photos anyhow. Some people are actually sitting 20-30ft back in the middle of the enclosure. A Ladder say 2 -3 ft back from the Crowd line is perfect sense. Try measuring how much those fold up seats take up. The add in the Windbreakers and the Golf umbrelllas.

Nothings gonna change though I imagine, even standing on a camera box is a no no with the Security people there. :dunno:

Not everyone with a camera is on the crowd line and a step ladder on the line or 3 feet, 10 feet, 10 yards or 30 yards back is an equal offence. They are fine for outside fences but leave the things at home when you go to airshows. Witness this prat at RIAT last year.

Image20170715 (124)_RIAT_Spoiler by John Dixon, on Flickr

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Skyflash wrote:

If the display at Ostrava in 2016 is anything to go by, he does a couple of VERY low passes, so any form of ladder should be sufficient to allow you to shoot parts of the routine from above... :grin:

Indeed. Sadly, its best manoeuvre will be excluded from the RIAT display - a very punchy touch-and-go. :joystick: