patrouille2001

Re: Dunsfold Wings & Wheels 2018

Post by patrouille2001 »

Always go the show :smile:

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Definitely, it's normally the show that I find most enjoyable each year.

K213

Post by K213 »

Always attend in the veterans enclosure.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

I like it and go sometimes but feel it's a bit repetitive and needs a few star turns.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

I agree with Tankbuster. Post Shoreham particularly, the almost ad hoc mixed formations of aircraft each year are no longer permitted. They were a highlight for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yan7zPYHOWk
The 2017 show was just about lifted out of being 'stale' by the UH1 flying display. (on the Sunday only??)

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Unfortunately this airshow has been stale for the past couple of seasons in my honest opinion, the organisers don't seem to think outside the box and just keep getting the same acts each season.

I was unaware that the formation flypasts were not permitted anymore, how come ?

Would be nice to see the team try to attract a couple of foreign acts to display, shake things up a little...

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Hi lynothehammer,
Without diverting the thread too much, I believe the formerly noted 'Ad hoc' Civil registered mixed formation displays fell foul of DAE requirements to 'properly' assess the competency of authorised Display Pilots to fly with similarly qualified persons in a formation of maximum 4 aircraft, by actually flying in the formation display aircraft....NOT easy in a single-seater!
Understandably this process is far too onerous & expensive unless you are a full-time formation Team?
http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP ... AY2017.pdf (pages 87-91 being appropriate?)

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

I wonder how the Bronco flew with Sally B at Biggin Hill and Mig 15 flew with 2 :question: P51,s

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

tankbuster wrote:I like it and go sometimes but feel it's a bit repetitive and needs a few star turns.

Exactly! The past couple of years it's been more or less the same aircraft, albeit in a different order. Biggin Hill smashed them out of the park this year, with fewer display items, but bags of quality, and some very rare items.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

The show lost its edge post Shoreham,I went in 2015 to witness one of the final displays by XH558...I think the fall out of the Shoreham restrictions and subsequent demise of many classic jet displays impacted greatly on shows like Dunsfold who relied on the private warbird/classic jet fraternity rather than military air arms to make the show viable and many have now lost that wow factor they had before!

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Never been, but for several years have intended to do so.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

DanH

Post by DanH »

I've just heard on the local news that the planning permission to build 1,800 homes on the site has been approved on appeal. Guess that's another great airshow gone then. :sad:
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

frank

Post by frank »

DanH wrote:I've just heard on the local news that the planning permission to build 1,800 homes on the site has been approved on appeal. Guess that's another great airshow gone then. :sad:

This announcement will come as a bit of a shock to the local communities who felt that they had convincingly won the case for non-development. Apart from the local impact and no amenities being provided, there was the issue of the land being contaminated due to its prior usage. Just shows that democracy only works for the rich and vested interests and not the local people. Shame on them.

DirtyFokker

Post by DirtyFokker »

Oh great ... this is one of my favourite events of the year :roll:. A historic location and wonderful family event ..... to be replaced by a collection of delightful micro-apartments, wafer-thin terraced houses, and tiny semi-detached pwoperties?

K213

Post by K213 »

Great shame as thoroughly enjoy the show . Looks like the planning authorities can decide to build pretty much anywhere.

Presume the process has now been concluded and no opportunity to try and overturn the appeal ?

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

K213 wrote:Looks like the planning authorities can decide to build pretty much anywhere.

With the rapidly growing population that we have, plus the break up of families requiring extra properties, that's pretty much the way things are.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

I believe, if it's classified as a brownfield site, then the Local Authority will have a hard time saying no to a new development.

andrewn

Post by andrewn »

Terrible decision to build on Dunsfold, but not the first and guarantee it wont be the last.

Until we take matters into our own hands and VoteThemOut - all of them - then nothing will change, sadly :wall:

ted633

Post by ted633 »

From their Facebook page:
With the recent planning consent granted for 1,800 homes at Dunsfold Aerodrome in the news, we wanted to reassure everyone that Dunsfold Park remains committed to Wings & Wheels and there are no plans to stop running the airshow in its current form in the short term.

The application that has been granted is an outline consent and there are now a number of processes that need to be worked through, including a considerable amount of further design work, followed by a detailed planning application, before any building on the Aerodrome commences. This process is expected to take about two to three years.

The team are working on delivering an exceptional 2018 air and motoring show and are looking forward to welcoming everyone on Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th August.

Hopefully have a good couple of years yet

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

The Blades
Hawker Hurricane
NAHF MiG 15
NAHF Vampire Pair
Strikemaster
Fireflies Aerobatic Display Team
O'Brien's Flying Circus :yahoo:
T-20 sea fury
Chinook
all added to the line up, always a good show look forward to it :clap: :clap:
Thomas

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Are you not just quoting from the 2017 flying programme? :wink:
I commented in December 2017 that the show needed an injection of fresh acts but.. Hey ho! :tumbleweed:

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

For me its always the show with acts that are familiar but always nice to see again in but in a quieter venue. Usually having done RIAT and Yeovilton before hand it makes a nice change from the Military things to see acts not seen often such of the flying circus and the fireflys who I have yet to see. I look forward to it the sun always behind you so good for photos and usually some nice topside passes.
Thomas

frank

Post by frank »

Also the sun is in a good position for photography for most of the day.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Technically of course, it's the Earth which is in a good position ;-)

My local show when I were a nipper this one, it'll be a real shame if /when it bites the airshow dust.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"