Duxford Air Festival 26.5.18

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
I.Winfield

Duxford Air Festival 26.5.18

Post by I.Winfield »

Hi all,

I went along to Duxford yesterday for their 'Air Festival'. I felt that the line up lacked much of any interest, asides the Schlepp, P-47, Furys, Swordfish and Rafale, the rest just being 'filler acts'. Unfortunately the P47 opened the show with far too many high aerobatics and not really (in my opinion) shown to the crowd, the Furys were equally wasted, except for the Navy one, which I feel Chris flew well (considering the constraints of Duxford). The swordfish put on a decent display, although hoping for a better version next weekend at Shuttleworth. In my opinions the stars were the Schlepp (my first), which was nice just to see one, and the Rafale which I felt was the most engaging display of the day.

Though Id share a few of the photos that I got of the day, hope they are of interest.

Image_DSC7752-6 by Ian Winfield, on Flickr

Image_DSC7812-7 by Ian Winfield, on Flickr

Image_DSC7966-11 by Ian Winfield, on Flickr

Image_DSC8038-12 by Ian Winfield, on Flickr

Image_DSC8136-15 by Ian Winfield, on Flickr

Image_DSC8193-18 by Ian Winfield, on Flickr

Image_DSC8325-20 by Ian Winfield, on Flickr

Image_DSC8327-21 by Ian Winfield, on Flickr

Image_DSC8329-22 by Ian Winfield, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,

Ian
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/i_winfield/
Twitter: @IWinfield1

Stagger2

Re: Duxford Air Festival 26.5.18

Post by Stagger2 »

Absolutely the best you could do given the height & distance of the displays. Completely agree about the P47 which easily took the award for the most haze, sun-direction affected, self-gratifying flying of the day! Total waste of one of my personal highlights. For those who know which pilot flew it, I had expected better?
Although I bought a Weekend ticket I left on Saturday with zero intention of returning Sunday. A very weak programme with dubious interpretation of the display rules resulting in potential conflict with Stansted traffic! :whistle:
Highlights as you said + Dave Southwood in the T-28 showing some engagement with the audience. :biggrin: Far too little to justify the price & logistics of attending, particularly if you had just returned from the La Ferte Alais Meeting last weekend! :win:

I.Winfield

Post by I.Winfield »

Stagger2 wrote: Total waste of one of my personal highlights. For those who know which pilot flew it, I had expected better?

I thought his display in AR501 last weekend was much better. Mix of the aerobatics and a few close engaging passes, however that could be more down to venue. Also I wonder what is allowed under the P47's display authorisation? Perhaps not the fault of the pilot.

sdad

Post by sdad »

Who was it, then?

I.Winfield

Post by I.Winfield »

Stu Goldspink I believe.

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Well the P-47 display wasn't what I'd hoped for, ie: topsides, good light, bit closer maybe. But a lot of that is out of the pilots control, its early days too, its first display in a post Shoreham airshow world, the pilot is well known and respected by enthusiasts, a different venue and later in the season ( hinting at OW ) we might get lucky... but it's still a pretty unique aircraft and safely/most competently displayed.

I.Winfield

Post by I.Winfield »

tuska2 wrote:Well the P-47 display wasn't what I'd hoped for, ie: topsides, good light, bit closer maybe. But a lot of that is out of the pilots control, its early days too, its first display in a post Shoreham airshow world, the pilot is well known and respected by enthusiasts, a different venue and later in the season ( hinting at OW ) we might get lucky... but it's still a pretty unique aircraft and safely/most competently displayed.

Quite agree! I think a few more displays in her and it will be quite a good display. Im also hoping for a nice punchy display at OW. Can imagine her going round the bend.....Military Pageant??
Last edited by I.Winfield on Sun 27 May 2018, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big_Gareth

Post by Big_Gareth »

I.Winfield wrote:
tuska2 wrote:Well the P-47 display wasn't what I'd hoped for, ie: topsides, good light, bit closer maybe. But a lot of that is out of the pilots control, its early days too, its first display in a post Shoreham airshow world, the pilot is well known and respected by enthusiasts, a different venue and later in the season ( hinting at OW ) we might get lucky... but it's still a pretty unique aircraft and safely/most competently displayed.

Quite agree! I think a few more displays in her and it will be quite a good display. I'm also hoping for a nice punchy display at OW. Cant imagine her going round the bend.....Military Pageant??

The frustrating thing is though, exactly a week before at Ragley, the P-47 flew the exact same high/distant aero display but then dropped to give two wonderful topside passes to finish with! I was expecting them again yesterday but instead the gear came down and he turned to land. Disappointing to say the least.

Cracking shots though Ian and spot on with your assessement of the day (even from the M11 end :wink: )

redbearing

Post by redbearing »

Lovely set, what would the airshow be like without the superb Rafale??, very very poor, noticed the car parks didnt look anywhere to capacity, one to forget i think. :clap: :clap:

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Yes very nice shots, better than mine! and the light is always a challenge at DX, but particularly yesterday.

melodrama

Post by melodrama »

Lovely pix. Personally I think just to see a P47 doing aerobatics at all is a rare, precious thing. But agreed on the line-up. Well done organisers though for getting the Rafale and the PdF - actually two of the finest airshow acts available in the world so perhaps a bit of credit where it's due. I do think the French air force deserves a huge amount of gratitude for their support for UK airshows in recent years. They seem to be putting up as much as the RAF in the major shows! It would be easy for them to say 'let's not bother' in the, ahem, circumstances... Without their participation at Duxford the crowd would have been significantly down.

I.Winfield

Post by I.Winfield »

Big_Gareth wrote:Cracking shots though Ian and spot on with your assessement of the day (even from the M11 end )

Cheers Gareth! I have often toyed with going for the M11 end, but instinct always takes me to my regular haunt of the LWH end.

redbearing wrote:Lovely set, what would the airshow be like without the superb Rafale??, very very poor, noticed the car parks didnt look anywhere to capacity, one to forget i think. :clap: :clap:

Thanks redbearing. I was told by my friend, who works for the parking company, that only 9000 tickets were sold for saturday and 9500 sunday. I'm not sure of Duxfords capacity, but that sounds (and felt) very low compared to say a busy Legends.

tuska2 wrote:Yes very nice shots, better than mine! and the light is always a challenge at DX, but particularly yesterday.

Thanks Tuska2. Agree with the light, but I cant really blame Duxford for how they are positioned, just something to give us a challenge. Hope you still had a good day.

melodrama wrote:Lovely pics. Personally I think just to see a P47 doing aerobatics at all is a rare, precious thing. But agreed on the line-up.

Thanks melodrama. I agree that it is a pleasure to be able to see a P47 again, last I saw was this one as No Guts No Glory in 2004. Just hoping I can get a nice photo of her for posterity. Nonetheless Im just happy that some people are bringing new warbirds into this country when many are selling up.