RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Cole

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Post by Cole »

I think the main reason for having such a bad turnout is that most of the people that would attend would be us "Train Station Lot"
For me that would be a hellishly long weekend
Friday 10am-6pm
Sat 5am-6pm
Sun 8am-6pm

Thats over 12 hours on Saturday. I think that the Majority of us "Train Station Lot" would rather stay there and watch the arrivals... (For free might i add)
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

ColeTheDemolisher wrote:I think the main reason for having such a bad turnout is that most of the people that would attend would be us "Train Station Lot"
For me that would be a hellishly long weekend
Friday 10am-6pm
Sat 5am-6pm
Sun 8am-6pm

Thats over 12 hours on Saturday. I think that the Majority of us "Train Station Lot" would rather stay there and watch the arrivals... (For free might i add)

Do you think everything is still coming on just the Friday Cole?
Thought it might be a Thursday afternoon jobbie myself...

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Well, I've taken the plunge and got a ticket for the Saturday morning. Thankfully I am close to the show so the early start isn't too much of a problem and I'm pleased that Cosford are trying something different, rather than yet another night shoot.

I'm planning on being at the station too so it will be a long day but no longer than the arrival days at RIAT.

Would love to be at the station Thursday afternoon but I don't have any holiday left to book :grin:

Berf

Post by Berf »

So is it the car park near the station where it is best for arrivals?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Berf wrote:So is it the car park near the station where it is best for arrivals?

Not the car park per se. The actual train station platform is where to be. It gives a pretty decent elevated view of the 24 threshold, which is most commonly (always?) used for arrivals.

The car park right next to the station is pretty small and fills up quickly, but there's an excellent overflow car park close by which most people shooting arrivals from the train platform end up using.

Sadly I can only make the Saturday/Sunday this year, so will probs miss the bulk of the larger arrivals.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Thanks Tommy

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Where's TimC when I need him. :grin:

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Tommy wrote: ...The actual train station platform is where to be...

Agreed, it's a perfect grandstand for arrivals. But do bear in mind that many trains pass through at very high speed, so please keep your 'sensible head' on whenever you are up there - especially if you have youngsters with you. :smile:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Indeed, it goes without saying. And people have to actually use the platform for its intended purpose, so don't get in the way. I find the kids better behaved than the adults sometimes :grin:

As always in his hobby, just don't be a tool.

In previous years there's always been ample room. What that'll look like next weekend might be a bit more crowded given the number of arrivals.

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

Quite a few new additions to the Static lineup updated on the website, including the Tiger 9 Display team in the flying. Unfortunately though there have been cancellations, most notibaly including the Pakistan C-130.
See: http://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk

JJC

Post by JJC »

mark_aviation wrote:Quite a few new additions to the Static lineup updated on the website, including the Tiger 9 Display team in the flying. Unfortunately though there have been cancellations, most notibaly including the Pakistan C-130.
See: http://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk

A great shame to see Pakistan cancelling - heavies always so much bigger at Cosford, and the crews have been amazing at the last 2 RIATs!

However, the lineup still looks amazing both on the ground and in the air. Roll on a week on Sunday! (The start of my airshow season and also the first day I'll be exam free) :biggrin:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

Some nice addition there, shame about the Pakistan C130 though. It's good to see QinetiQ supporting the show as well !
Last edited by Lucasjmet15 on Wed 30 May 2018, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Great to see a Hunter listed :)

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

jasonT1981 wrote:Another Spitfire on static, this one newly restored.

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/rafcosfordairshowofficial/photos/a.403200306359458.103082.403139459698876/1965345696811570/?type=3&theater[/fb-post]

PR Spitfires. :love:

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

jasonT1981 wrote:Great to see a Hunter listed :)

Indeed it is, I wonder which hunter it will be ??

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

A great shame about the Pakistan C-130 canning it. Sad times. :sad:

Joe Spares

Post by Joe Spares »

Wouldn't it be nice if Qinetiq also filled the newly vacated C130 space in the static park with the special tail Herc fron Boscombe..... ! ;)

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

Tommy wrote:
st24 wrote:I get your last paragraph and welcome the effort being made but with all the will in the world can this be termed a "Saturday photocall"??

Yeah, fair comment, but currently, it's either that or nothing.

Incorrect. There was a mid-week photocall last night, organised by Timeline Events, which was apparently sold out.

https://www.timelineevents.org/product. ... 84974f5943

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

tache3 wrote:
Tommy wrote:
st24 wrote:I get your last paragraph and welcome the effort being made but with all the will in the world can this be termed a "Saturday photocall"??

Yeah, fair comment, but currently, it's either that or nothing.

Incorrect. There was a mid-week photocall last night, organised by Timeline Events, which was apparently sold out.

https://www.timelineevents.org/product. ... 84974f5943

Yeah, I know about TLE events at Cosford, but Geoff and I ware talking about a long-requested Saturday pre-showday photo call, once all/a lot of the static stuff has arrived (I know this year is pretty different given the number of assets that have been roaded in).

yannyfoxx

Post by yannyfoxx »

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but does anyone have an idea what will be operating out of Shawbury on the day of the show?

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

Tommy wrote:Yeah, I know about TLE events at Cosford, but Geoff and I ware talking about a long-requested Saturday pre-showday photo call, once all/a lot of the static stuff has arrived (I know this year is pretty different given the number of assets that have been roaded in).

Ah, OK. Apologies.

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

yannyfoxx wrote:Apologies if this has been discussed already, but does anyone have an idea what will be operating out of Shawbury on the day of the show?

I’d imagine the Reds, MiG, F-16 and Rafale will, and the Typhoon coming from Conningsby. The question I want answered is will flares be used? :dunno:

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Any idea which of the flying aircraft will be landing/taking off at Cosford? Does the BBMF usually base at Cosford or just fly in from Coningsby?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

mark_aviation wrote:The question I want answered is will flares be used? :dunno:

I'm sure Peter can oblige. I think the general consensus is probably not. Digging up an old interview I did with the team back in 2015 (one of my first feature interviews for UKAR I think!), Peter said this:

http://www.airshows.co.uk/features/2015 ... interview/

"On the wider issue, we have no issues with fast jets using flares at Cosford, but we have to find somewhere to base them as "live aircraft". It totally depends where we base an aircraft, if that station has the facilities to accommodate 'armed' fast-jets. If we were allocated a fast jet display which wanted to use flares, we would need to negotiate with RAF Shawbury or RAF Brize Norton to see if they could accommodate the aircraft." PR

Also depends which aircraft use flares in their routine as standard. The RAF Typhoon doesn't anyway, so even if capacity was there, it wouldn't use them because it's not part of its display. The Belgian F-16 might, it has in recent years. The MiG? Who knows. I can't recall seeing the Polish Fulcrum demo use flares (I think the Slovak one does/did?). Likewise with the Rafale, does that use flares as part of its routine display?

jasonT1981 wrote:Does the BBMF usually base at Cosford or just fly in from Coningsby?

Sometimes the fighters will base themselves at Cosford, arrive in the morning and depart after the display, but I don't think the Lanc could get in. I can't recall ever seeing it land there on a show day.

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

Thanks for that, Tommy. Guess it’ll be a surprise on the day. From watching a few videos on YouTube, it looks like only the Belgian F-16 and A-109 use flares (but I’d assume the latter will be based at Cosford).