RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Luke28

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Post by Luke28 »

Just home and i'm to drained to write anything articulate or meaningful but what I will say is that was by far the best Cosford airshow in my living memory.

I heard there was a lot of problems getting in and out but from a personal point of view I was straight off the M54 and into the base with ease.

Superb start to the season! :up:

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

One of the best shows at Cosford that I have been to,well done to the team.Did one of the Reds mess the heart up or was it something else they were trying to create ?

JasonPC

Post by JasonPC »

Great day out, cracking job by the event team. Had a little bit of bother getting out as the queue was very slow moving. Nothing the organisers can do about traffic problems/accidents outside the base nor the inbreds who play chicken at every junction in their panic to get out. We only queued for 15 minutes to get in and we’re sat on the crowd line, front row, before 8am. Excellent flying display, probably my favourite Cosford event of the half dozen or so I’ve been to. Great stuff.

TYPHOON3 wrote:.Did one of the Reds mess the heart up or was it something else they were trying to create ?

They did the heart move about halfway through. Looked ok from where we were. They drew a ‘100’ right at the end of their display as well.

AMB

Post by AMB »

cg_341 wrote:
AMB wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:Absolutely. To be honest, my one gripe with Cosford is that it's always so crowded. If only they would host the show over two days and limit the attendance more strictly it would be a favourite show of mine. As it is, I always attend grudgingly since the crowd line lay out is so poor. Admittedly, this year it looks like it's worth attending for the static alone (and the Mig of course!)

Cosford is a nightmare to get in and out of, with queues stretching for miles in previous years. I have heard of people not getting in, giving up and going home. What Cosford need to do is park traffic in adjacent fields and have a bus shuttle service into the airfield, so there will be no traffic congestion. As much as I would like to attend on the day, unless they announce this, I am put off from attending.

Utter nonsense.

There is always one idiot that disputes facts - cg_341 ! Seems history has repeated itself as recorded below

Andyperkins wrote:.....but the queues look like a repeat of 2013 with a lot of people not getting in until after the show had started.

JJC wrote:Absolute chaos trying to get off the field behind the museum. No control over traffic or cones laid out for departure routes. People cutting through the middle of the field, making their own queues and being let out first. Amazing.
Last edited by AMB on Sun 10 Jun 2018, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

Has anyone seen any aerial photographs from today? I saw a good one earlier on Facebook but cannot find it anymore.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

In early on A464. Cracking day all round. Thanks to the guy from the Lighting Preservation Group for the chat and the lens test....should have introduced myself tut tut. Hung around for half an hour at the end and left more or less straight away same way out.

One thing...the Mig...did he get a bit lost directionally at 1 point...cough incursion cough

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

It was a Fantastic Airshow, aided by hot sunny Weather. Only my second Cosford Airshow. First one last year, was worth every penny in my opinion. And will go next year definately.
So many highlights, the BBMF Trenchard Formation, was my main highlight, but the New Zealand Airforce B757, and Polish Mig 29 Fulcrum, French Rafale and Belgian F16, were awesome displays, also enjoyed the rare Bristol Sycamore Helicopter, very characteristic sound.

Thankyou so much to the BBMF, the Trenchard Formation, was the highlight for me, at todays amazing Cosford Airshow. I couldn't believe what I was watching, What a superb moving arrival, from behind the crowd too ! The BBMF Mark IX MK356 looks beautiful, in it's desert Camouflage. Also nice to see MK356 land, and park up on the Flightline, for the rest of the Airshow. :smile: The static display Warbirds were awesome, especially the newly restored, ARCO Spitfire XI PL983 in it's PR Blue Scheme.
Last edited by eddywinch82 on Sun 10 Jun 2018, 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Costar1198

Post by Costar1198 »

eddywinch82 wrote:It was a Fantastic Airshow, aided by hot sunny Weather. Only my second Cosford Airshow. First one last year, was worth every penny in my opinion. And will go next year definately.
So many highlights, the BBMF Trenchard Formation, was my main highlight, but the New Zealand Airforce B757, and Polish Mig 29 Fulcrum, French Rafale and Belgian F16, were awesome displays, also enjoyed the rare Bristol Sycamore Helicopter, very characteristic sound.

Thankyou so much to the BBMF, the Trenchard Formation, was the highlight for me, at todays amazing Cosford Airshow. I couldn't believe what I was watching, What a superb moving arrival, from behind the crowd too ! The BBMF Mark IX MK356 looks beautiful, in it's desert Camouflage. Also nice to see MK356 land, and park up on the Flightline, for the rest of the Airshow. :smile:

Hang on the BBMF have started arriving above the crowd again? :worship:

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

They Havn't been allowed to, since the Shoreham Airshow accident in 2015. Hopefully they will carry on doing so.

Eagle85

Post by Eagle85 »

Certainly saw the worse in people in the fields to get out today: rudeness, shouting, running about, speeding across the fields... I saw one ape get out of his car, physically tear the orange fence in half just so he could barge his was across the emergency lane and into the next field, only to get stuck in one of the many smaller queues that were formed by dozens of other idiots. The traffic management and marshaling was superb, it was not their fault that the A41 got closed. It only took 15 minutes or so to get in this morning and once we were out of the 'every man for himself' car park and onto the trackway then it was only ten minutes getting out.
The flying display itself was superb, so many highlights and was quite enjoyable for the short period of time where the tannoy went for a Burton. Mig 29 and Hurricane formation was a first for me and just superb.
Crowdline was a bit crowded but some incredibly friendly people offered to move and make some space, their kindness and courtesy took me completely by surprise in 2018! RAF and volunteers were all engaging and friendly throughout.
Wonderful organised show and glorious weather, thoroughly enjoyed the day with the family.

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

Couple of quick points from today’s show now I’m finally through the door. Thought it was a great way of showing the RAF through the years just a shame that the final hour felt a bit disjointed as the party piece have next to no displays left. Polish Mig with Hurricane was very nice as was Trenchard formation. Highlight for me has to be that BO-105 what a display. Great job Pete and team best Cosford I’ve ever been to.

captainfurious

Post by captainfurious »

So I got to 3 miles away from Cosford at 8.15am and on site by 9.30 so bit of a delay but OK. Left at 19.00 and out of car park at 19.50 and whilst the staff were only their to help and I thanked them it was a shambles. I got lucky in my lane but could see how some sat there for so long.

For me the Battle of Britain Memorial arrival was a real surprise and fabulous. Rafale was superb. Lightning on static immense. Did the Mig 29 slip over the crowd? Hate to say it for the first time ever but the Reds just seemed a bit tame. Maybe a little distant? Or lacklustre buzz from the crowd? Or maybe the new commentator needs to bed in. Just lacked for me. Did enjoy though the unexpected 100.

Overall a solid start to my airshow year.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

AMB wrote:
cg_341 wrote:
AMB wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:Absolutely. To be honest, my one gripe with Cosford is that it's always so crowded. If only they would host the show over two days and limit the attendance more strictly it would be a favourite show of mine. As it is, I always attend grudgingly since the crowd line lay out is so poor. Admittedly, this year it looks like it's worth attending for the static alone (and the Mig of course!)

Cosford is a nightmare to get in and out of, with queues stretching for miles in previous years. I have heard of people not getting in, giving up and going home. What Cosford need to do is park traffic in adjacent fields and have a bus shuttle service into the airfield, so there will be no traffic congestion. As much as I would like to attend on the day, unless they announce this, I am put off from attending.

Utter nonsense.

There is always one idiot that disputes facts - cg_341 ! Seems history has repeated itself as recorded below

Andyperkins wrote:.....but the queues look like a repeat of 2013 with a lot of people not getting in until after the show had started.

JJC wrote:Absolute chaos trying to get off the field behind the museum. No control over traffic or cones laid out for departure routes. People cutting through the middle of the field, making their own queues and being let out first. Amazing.

To be fair 2013 was the last time I ever remember the queuing to get in being this bad, all the years after that I had no problems but I always aimed to arrive for around 8am, from the posts on Twitter I get the impression a lot of people figured arriving for 9-10am would be fine as the show didn’t start till 11:30 but your not going to get 60,000 people in without queuing.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

AMB wrote:There is always one idiot that disputes facts - cg_341 ! Seems history has repeated itself as recorded below

Hardly. 60,000 people in to an event? It'll cause queues. 60,000 people trying to leave an event after a long, hot day in the sun? It'll cause queues and probably some idiotic behaviour. Add in a main road closure? Guess what, more queues!

As for my comment about nonsense, that was to the whole post - I.e. the people giving up and going home (strange people for paying money, thinking they can rock up 5 minutes before the display starts and park on the front row - though it seems to happen at any event), the parking in adjacent fields (who's going to pay for those fields, how much more per head are we looking at?) and ditto the shuttle bus service (how many buses for 60,000 people?)

Of course, fixate on one little bit of it (literally the word "queues"), I don't mind.

:pinkwafer:

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I was too exhausted to post anything last night, but sentiments echoed.

Not without its fair share of issues, but the vintage of vintage Cosford airshows. Well done to all of the team.

Traffic in wasn't too bad, a crawl, but a constant crawl. Traffic out was pretty poo. I left the airfield at 7.45.

Amazing flying lineup and static lineup to boot.

My greatest criticism is that this show, being of the quality it was, really needed, and very much deserved, to be two days. A great shame that it wasn't.

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

I’ll echo everyone else’s comments, that was a bloody good airshow! Getting in took around 15 minutes in the traffic, getting out took almost 3hours (Got in the car at 1745, got on the Motorway at 2030!). The static display was truely a highlight of any recent airshow, and something to be remembered for many, many years to come. The flying display lived up to its high expectations, the highlights being the bonkers BO-105 and the RNZAF 757. Bit of a shame that the KDC-10 went tech as that was a highlight for me, but I didn’t expect anything else.
All in all, well done to the Cosford team, you put on a brilliant airshow.... but you really need to sort out the parking issues when trying to get out...

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Best Cosford ever in my view.

Getting in was easy as I was in the holding car-park by 7:30am and got on base just after 8. This gave us time to look round and photograph the static in good light.

Managed to find a space on the crowd line at about 11am which I couldn't believe and although it got reasonably crowded it wasn't too bad. A great flying display that I watched beginning to end - the only slight criticism was that it seemed that the lunch period was all must-see stuff - always better to have a "lazy lunch" - or a 30 minute break (as Yeovilton do) in my view, but that's a minor minor gripe.

The real shock was getting out. I had visions of being on base 'til after dark but when they opened the route over the runway we basically drove straight out. Absolutely great.

As an aside - that was surely the best Mig-29 display i've seen for well over a decade, definitely the best i've ever seen from the Poles - possibly the best i've ever seen from anyone but a Russian test pilot.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

It was a very good Cosford airshow, superb contributions from the international line up and the historic civilian acts.

Arrived in the queue at 7.40am, parked up and walking the flightline by 8am. Even getting out was a breeze when we were leaving around 8pm via the main gate. OK we had to go via Telford back to Bridgnorth, but hardly a massive detour. Watching some of the loonies making more and more lanes into a single lane heading out west was amusing, brilliant logic.

Great to see the Defiant, Strutter, M1C all out of the tents, the Lightning with squadron badge and code and most of the static generally accessible. Makes you wonder what the poor sods got who paid the extra for Saturday morning?

The centre of the display line was utterly horrible, you could hardly move without stepping on someone, so we found an area further left where we wanted to be anyway for the vintage choppers next to a nice man and his family :grin: . Much more comfortable and happy with what I came back with.

Flying display was excellent up to the Tutor solo. I understand why the display was ordered chronologically for the RAF elements, but without the solo RAF displays en masse of 20 years ago, the ending of the flypasts, three Tutors, then one Prefect, then one Tucano, then one Atlas lacked any oomph and people looked bored. The Typhoon still bored and lacked flow, sorry, when compared to the Rafale its very ordinary. Maybe pulling the special element of the Hurricane and MiG29 to the end may have helped, after all you still had the Hurricane covered in WWII with the BBMF.

Commentary was a little off at times as well Andy Pawsey being an RAF man should know an RC-135 is not based on a 707 :whistle: and the Juno/Jupiter (I know they're awful) recognition books also needed to be issued, don't listen to what you've been told!

But they are small gripes, it really was very very good. Well done the team. :biggrin: :worship: :clap:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

capercaillie wrote:Commentary was a little off at times as well Andy Pawsey being an RAF man should know an RC-135 is not based on a 707 :whistle:

Not this again! :tongue:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Cracking show.

The amount of sheer hard work and enthusiasm that must have gone in to elevating Cosford to what we saw yesterday was clearly huge. So massive thanks and congrats to Peter and the team.

Of course the weather is a huge influence on how good everything looks, and the event was super lucky, but nevertheless there was so much there, and so thoughtfully presented in chronological order both on the ground and in the air. It made a big difference to the experience and was very much about putting on a show.

Saturday morning's photocall was well worth the effort too. It took a little pressure off yesterday because there is absolutely no way I could have seen and photographed everything yesterday. That was one big crowd, and while it created a buzz and was great to see, it naturally slows your progress. It really, really should have been a two day event. Cosford Club was sublime as ever.

I had no traffic at all getting in - Car Park 7 - I took pot luck on one of the scores of lines to get out about 7:30 and was about half an hour 40 minutes to the road. Considering the size of the crowd and the fact that all had been encouraged to stay back no matter which direction they were heading in, it was to be expected.

The flying display was full of gems. Typhoon was miles away, it has to be noted. As ever, the other fast jets were ace, but weren't the only highlights Just how good were the Austrian helicopters? and the Trenchard Formation?

Lovely.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Here’s my thoughts on this year’s Cosford air show.
I left Cheshire at 6.30am and was on the A5 just before 8. The signposting wasn’t great and I missed the turn down the A41, a small change from last year. Anyway, I got parked up in the offsite field just after 8:30. The traffic was well directed and well controlled on the way in.
The static display I thought was excellent and one of the most varied displays I’ve seen at any airshow. The line-up of WW1 types, the WW2 area and the cold war jets were excellent. I thought the re-enactors added to the overall quality of the display. Seeing aircraft such as the Defiant outside is what makes Cosford special.
One thing I did find awkward was the access to the flight line. The signing seemed to guide every one down one passageway. Meaning the area at the flight line at the end of the access became a bit crowded, in fact, I think it was even mentioned on the PA at one point. Talking of PA, it went AWOL for a while down our end, before the Anson display and throughout the BBMF display. A small point I did notice was before the commentary started, one of the songs played was Starships by Nicki Minaj, it sounded like the explicit version as well. Oops….
Anyway, the flying display. I thought it was well thought out and included a multitude of “star” items. The stand out items from my point of view were the Rafale, the Sycamore, the Chipmunk was beautifully flown, the Hurricane/MiG29 formation was a great moment, the Red Arrows against a blue sky has few equals at airshows.
The weather was what we all want but made photography during the early part of the day especially challenging. As you’ll see….
I left the flightline as soon as the Typhoon finished and walked back the car park. As has been mentioned in other posts, the traffic exiting the field was a nightmare. It took 45 mins to get off the field, which doesn’t sound too bad but I was only 200yds from the gate. People need to be stopped from creating their own queues, I understand why they did it but it doesn’t help anyone. Anyway once out, it was easy and I was home just after 8pm.
All in all a very good air show and a worthy tribute to the RAF100. Fairford is going to have to pull out something extraordinary to improve upon this.

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

Yesterday was my first Cosford airshow so i can't really compare it to previous events, but it was a really enjoyable day out.

I wasn't too sure what time to arrive but I thought i'd be safe then sorry, so headed out at 5am and was queing from the M54 junction at 7.45am, eventually arriving on site half an hour later.

The static was superb, with the set pieces and well thought out positioning of the aircraft. It seemed like there was a Jaguar around every corner! Excellent use of the RAFM aircraft on site too (which is my biggest gripe with Duxford never having a select few of their exhibits out in the open on airshow days).

I plonked myself in front of the Whirlwind about 10 deep from the crowd-line and despite feeling like i was packed in like a sardine, there were no issues and everyone was friendly enough. The flying flowed nicely with what felt like every other act being a "star" item. Personal highlights for me being that last 757 pass, Trenchard Formation, Sycamore and the Mig-29 (who looked like he got lost over Shropshire at one point!). I found photography looking into the sun more of a problem here then at Duxford, which is surprising considering the amount of grief Duxford gets on this subject! The last hour of flying did seem to stutter along as well, but I liked the thought that had gone into the chronological flying list.

I usually plod about at an airshow after the flying has finished to let the traffic ease, but i pushed that out even further yesterday taking into account the road closure. I eventually got back to the car at 8pm and made it out of the exit across the runway at half 8. There was only the 1 sign directing traffic back to the M54 at the end of the crash gate road exit, so it took a bit of guess work to get back to it. The sun was low in the sky and driving right at it, so to be fair, I might have missed any that were displayed.

Sadly this wasn't the end of my evening as the A14 was closed heading home, so I eventually collapsed through the front door just after midnight. :sleepy:

Overall it was really good day out and a perfect celebration of RAF100 (excluding the logo!). From a newbie's opinion, it really needs to be a 2 day show. There might be logistics involved that makes this impossible, but maybe this year could have been the one to take that step.

B_Tank88

Post by B_Tank88 »

What an excellent show, no other comment!

One question though with photography, was it just me, or was the light quite bad for it like Duxford. All the flying displays just came out under shadow.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

I've nothing much to add from what others have said, but:
Arrived in the queue to get in from the North at just after 8. Gates open, according to my tickets was 8:30. If people were at large on the airfield before that then I find that a pretty poor show as I understand there are external car parks for early arrivals to get them off the roads.
It took an hour to crawl three miles to the base, and as we waited on the M54 interchange the Bobby on duty said that the traffic management company hadn't shown up and didn't have insurance to cover that particular roundabout/junction. His priority, quite rightly, was to keep the M54 clear.
Static = excellent.
Flying = excellent.
Having the display run chronologically was a great idea but unfortunately meant that some the the highlights (for myself) appeared in the worst light - Fury and Hurricane/MiG for example. Otherwise outstanding, until the final segment and the disjointedness of the flypasts. The Atlas was holding for a long time then made just one pass.
Getting out took an hour from car park to M54. Not too bad considering the amount of cars on the airfield.

Overall 8 / 10. The best Cosford I can remember going to.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.