RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
harkins

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by harkins »

CJS wrote:
harkins wrote:It's weird how the JASDF 767 has been so often in recent years that it has become one of those aircraft you almost expect to be announced. The absence of QinetiQ is a bit of a surprise, but I guess their collection of UK based aircraft is pretty small now.

True, but they still usually make an appearance.

As others have said, the Japanese have something or other rules-wise which prevents them from announcing overseas participation more than a month out, so if it's going to happen, it couldn't have done before about now anyway. Fingers crossed they do make it, and bring the drummers with them again :music:

I'd rather like to see the ETPS Gripen but, with it being Sweden based I suppose that is unlikely (it has been once hasn't it?) I imagine that QinetiQ's A109 and RJ100 are still fairly likely to be added to the static line up.

If that's the case with Japan then we can still hope. It would be really nice to see a C-1 (or 2) instead of (or as well as :)) the KC-767J.

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

harkins wrote:
CJS wrote:
harkins wrote:It's weird how the JASDF 767 has been so often in recent years that it has become one of those aircraft you almost expect to be announced. The absence of QinetiQ is a bit of a surprise, but I guess their collection of UK based aircraft is pretty small now.

True, but they still usually make an appearance.

As others have said, the Japanese have something or other rules-wise which prevents them from announcing overseas participation more than a month out, so if it's going to happen, it couldn't have done before about now anyway. Fingers crossed they do make it, and bring the drummers with them again :music:

I'd rather like to see the ETPS Gripen but, with it being Sweden based I suppose that is unlikely (it has been once hasn't it?) I imagine that QinetiQ's A109 and RJ100 are still fairly likely to be added to the static line up.

If that's the case with Japan then we can still hope. It would be really nice to see a C-1 (or 2) instead of (or as well as :)) the KC-767J.

The ETPS Gripen has only appeared once, RIAT 2008. It may have been there in 2010 too.
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

harkins wrote:True, but they still usually make an appearance.

ETPS seem keen on sending the new Squirrel(s) around, went to Cosford, down for Yeovilton etc. So that's as likely as well as their new Prefect, DA42 and PC-21 when the latter arrives.

As for Japan, C-1s have pathetic range, so no chance there. The C-2 having been to New Zealand and Dubai is the next most likely thing from them I'd guess, always a chance of a P-1 returning from the JMSDF, they went to Germany earlier this year.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

harkins

Post by harkins »

capercaillie wrote:As for Japan, C-1s have pathetic range, so no chance there. The C-2 having been to New Zealand and Dubai is the next most likely thing from them I'd guess, always a chance of a P-1 returning from the JMSDF, they went to Germany earlier this year.

Just checked that out and the C-1 range isn't great is it (2000 miles) but it is similar to a C-130 and a few of them have traveled a fair way to Fairford before. The C-2 is much more impressive (5k ferry flight according to Wiki) but I think there's only 3 of them in service isn't there? P-1 would be nice to see again but after recently visiting Berlin and the UK's decision to buy Boring P-8s I would think they're perhaps the least likely. If anything at all it'll be the tanker again, which is fine.

Habu

Post by Habu »

AngryAndyPandy wrote:Have RIAT ever had a UAV of any kind fly into the show? I'm aware of the Scan Eagle flying in 2006 I think (Happy to be corrected) but I'm thinking something larger. Is it something we could expect to see more of at airshows as the technology progresses and air forces take deliveries?

It seems they haven't ( I asked the question a while back) . Personally I'd like too see some . Admittedly they're not going to be able to put on a spectacular flying display ( I assume ) , but would be interesting to see them ' in action ' , after all , they are already an important component of many Air Arms today.

On a different note : With the upgrade to ' flying' of the Atlantique 2 , does anyone think we might get to see the KC-390 fly also ?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Habu wrote:
AngryAndyPandy wrote:Have RIAT ever had a UAV of any kind fly into the show? I'm aware of the Scan Eagle flying in 2006 I think (Happy to be corrected) but I'm thinking something larger. Is it something we could expect to see more of at airshows as the technology progresses and air forces take deliveries?

It seems they haven't ( I asked the question a while back) . Personally I'd like too see some . Admittedly they're not going to be able to put on a spectacular flying display ( I assume ) , but would be interesting to see them ' in action ' , after all , they are already an important component of many Air Arms today.

Burn the witch! :heyhey: :question:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

CJS

Post by CJS »

capercaillie wrote:
Habu wrote:

It seems they haven't ( I asked the question a while back) . Personally I'd like too see some. Admittedly they're not going to be able to put on a spectacular flying display ( I assume ) , but would be interesting to see them ' in action ' , after all , they are already an important component of many Air Arms today.

Christ, imagine the queue for the toilets... :sleepy: still, it gives an actual reason to use one of these :joystick:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Really took me by surprise that the ATL2 is down for the flying display. Well done DBH :smile:

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

With the atl2 now down for the flying display does anybody else think it may be for a navy role demo with the rafales a bit like the royal navy demos with the falcon and hawks? Either way it's a great addition! :rock:
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

alpha586 wrote:With the atl2 now down for the flying display does anybody else think it may be for a navy role demo with the rafales a bit like the royal navy demos with the falcon and hawks? Either way it's a great addition! :rock:

I think seeing the ATL2 and the Rafales together is certainly possible as they do a special formation flypast called 'Cocardes Marine' which they will be performing at Yeovilton.

Habu

Post by Habu »

CJS wrote:
capercaillie wrote:
Habu wrote:

It seems they haven't ( I asked the question a while back) . Personally I'd like too see some. Admittedly they're not going to be able to put on a spectacular flying display ( I assume ) , but would be interesting to see them ' in action ' , after all , they are already an important component of many Air Arms today.

Christ, imagine the queue for the toilets... :sleepy: still, it gives an actual reason to use one of these :joystick:

:smile: Fair point ; I guess they're not most people's cup of tea . I was gutted not to see the 'Taube' in 2003 .

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

capercaillie wrote:
Habu wrote:

Oh I don't know....I'd quite like to see a display by a QF-4 ( if there are any left ) or a QF-16 :biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

Andyperkins wrote:
alpha586 wrote:With the atl2 now down for the flying display does anybody else think it may be for a navy role demo with the rafales a bit like the royal navy demos with the falcon and hawks? Either way it's a great addition! :rock:

I think seeing the ATL2 and the Rafales together is certainly possible as they do a special formation flypast called 'Cocardes Marine' which they will be performing at Yeovilton.

The ATL2 had pulled out of Yeovilton so no, they won't.:-)
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

CJS wrote:
Andyperkins wrote:

The ATL2 had pulled out of Yeovilton so no, they won't.:-)

He’s got a point though, would love to see it.

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

Andyperkins wrote:

Would love to see that as it would be such an unusual formation flying over Fairford, hope it does not cancel like their French friends from the army as I was looking forward to seeing those puma's......I wonder what else DBH will announce over the next few weeks? it's getting more exciting as the days get closer cannot believe 3 weeks Monday I leave for RIAT. :yahoo:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Sure, but the Cocardes Marines also features a Paris and Zephyr...
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Just caught up, and been caught by surprise by this one. Great to see the Atlantique in the flying display. Ace! Can't help but cross fingers for a set piece with the Navy Rafales.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Wissam24 wrote:Sure, but the Cocardes Marines also features a Paris and Zephyr...

Yes, but i think we mean just the front half of the formation. :grin:

Habu

Post by Habu »

Brevet Cable wrote:
capercaillie wrote:
Habu wrote:

Oh I don't know....I'd quite like to see a display by a QF-4 ( if there are any left ) or a QF-16 :biggrin:

All the QF-4s are gone now ; could maybe wheel that X-10 out of the museum though .

Havoc

Post by Havoc »

Re the Drone flying into RIAT...
We have had the BAe Jetstream ( with crew onboard to keep it kosher), plus in '07, we had a Creech based Predator ( I found my fujifilm roll last year and was amazed the exposures still came out!)
So, to cut a long story short..I'm afraid not.
No Drone/ RPV has flown into RIAT.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Wissam24 wrote:Sure, but the Cocardes Marines also features a Paris and Zephyr...

Pretty sure that name is given to any mixed Aeronavale formation. It doesn't have to include those aircraft just as it doesn't have to include the Alize.
Regarding the "I hope they all fly together.." posts; it's entirely possible but not guaranteed, and even then as Sam probably witnessed at La Ferté Alais, they only generally do one formation pass before breaking up into their individual displays.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

Havoc wrote:Re the Drone flying into RIAT...
We have had the BAe Jetstream ( with crew onboard to keep it kosher), plus in '07, we had a Creech based Predator ( I found my fujifilm roll last year and was amazed the exposures still came out!)
So, to cut a long story short..I'm afraid not.
No Drone/ RPV has flown into RIAT.

Thankyou very much! I would certainly like to see that change in the coming years! The new Protector would be a great representation of the future alongside the F-35B.

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

The Baron wrote:

Pretty sure that name is given to any mixed Aeronavale formation. It doesn't have to include those aircraft just as it doesn't have to include the Alize.
Regarding the "I hope they all fly together.." posts; it's entirely possible but not guaranteed, and even then as Sam probably witnessed at La Ferté Alais, they only generally do one formation pass before breaking up into their individual displays.

One pass is all I need for a good photo opportunity.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Drones in the flying? I’d rather buy a die cast model and whiz it round the showground myself :grin:

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

Airshowhammer wrote:Drones in the flying? I’d rather buy a die cast model and whiz it round the showground myself :grin:

Ever seen a UCAV display? :question: Who knows what the future holds! :grin: