RIAT 2018 wishlist

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
G67

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by G67 »

rdchawk wrote:You're joking right?

Not at all

Under the NATO Strategic Airlift Interim Solution ( SALIS ), Antonov and Volga have each had an AN-124 permanently stationed at Leipzig-Halle Airport since March 2006, with additional uplift available at short notice.

They've been hauling NATO around the globe for more than a decade. One of the very aircraft that does that will be sitting 30 km away.

What's the BBMF's contribution to modern NATO capability? OK they're part of RAF100, so bring them in and put them on static with the other relics.

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

G67 wrote:
rdchawk wrote:You're joking right?

Not at all

Under the NATO Strategic Airlift Interim Solution ( SALIS ), Antonov and Volga have each had an AN-124 permanently stationed at Leipzig-Halle Airport since March 2006, with additional uplift available at short notice.

They've been hauling NATO around the globe for more than a decade. One of the very aircraft that does that will be sitting 30 km away.

What's the BBMF's contribution to modern NATO capability? OK they're part of RAF100, so bring them in and put them on static with the other relics.

Commemorate, Celebrate, Inspire. Sidelining the BBMF to static would be a little insulting to the whole commemorate side of that, but each to their own. Also, NATO isn't the RAF so an An-124 helping NATO doesn't really have a solid link to the RAF, and if it does it's a small link compared with the what the BBMF represent. As much as I'd love to see a '124 in any capacity. :smile:

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

G67 wrote:...What's the BBMF's contribution to modern NATO capability?...

Just remind yourself that the celebration is in recognition of 100 years of the RAF. Whenever 'Modern NATO' has a celebration, you could argue that an An-124 is more relevant than the BBMF, but for this one, your argument is unsupportable.
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

G67 wrote:Space booked at Farnborough for a Volga-Dnepr An-124. Their rates are available with a phone-call. Would look awesome amongst the C-17s and given how much work the 124s have done supporting NATO missions it would probably have more reason to be at RIAT than, say, BBMF...

There wouldn’t even be a NATO if it weren’t for aircraft such as the Spitifre, Lancaster and Hurricane.
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

What would take an already very good show to the next level, in your opinion?

Myself, one or two of these in the final couple of weeks would be incredible.

Another attempt at the A-4.
Turkish F-4.
Greek F-4.

Something from Japan.
Something from China.
Something from India.
Something from Singapore.

F-35B full display.

A MiG-29 display.

Yes, I doubt any will happen, but that's why this is the wishlist :).

CJS

Post by CJS »

I'm not sure that just another attempt at an A-4 would do much for me, to be honest. Actually being successful in that attempt however = :win:

As this is a wishlist thread, I shall politely request that the 4 stranded B-1b aircraft remain until RIAT, are fixed in time, then used as following:

3 for static display

1 for a full flying display, preferably with the B-2 which will of course be making another transatlantic crossing (Saturday please).

And some Indian Jaguars (F).

Cheers, much appreciated. :up:

:tumbleweed:

For me, the show is already at 'that level' but anything else added to the flying will be a great bonus, and any more static items very welcome too.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Just thought i’d whack a J-22 into the mix!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Airshowhammer wrote:Just thought i’d whack a J-22 into the mix!

Probably more a chance of a J2O into the mix. :sweat:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

CJS

Post by CJS »

capercaillie wrote:

Limited edition 'Flamingo Fling' please.

Wait, Flamingos, they live in Chile...

I'll have a Chilean Super Tucano please. :up:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

CJS wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

Limited edition 'Flamingo Fling' please.

Wait, Flamingos, they live in Chile...

I'll have a Chilean Super Tucano please. :up:

Some do, many don't, just jumping to conclusions now Chris. :facepalm:

CJS

Post by CJS »

All my flamingo mates are from Chile. I don't mix with this Bolivian riff raff :-p

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

CJS wrote:As this is a wishlist thread, I shall politely request that the 4 stranded B-1b aircraft remain until RIAT, are fixed in time, then used as following:

3 for static display

1 for a full flying display, preferably with the B-2 which will of course be making another transatlantic crossing (Saturday please).

No no no, one Bone static, three flying, in a display that includes twinkle rolls in v formation and two aircraft in at least one opposition pass.

A man can dream wildly.....

harkins

Post by harkins »

All getting a bit late/close now so besides the RAF anniversary set-pieces I don't expect much more to be announced. However, I'm still holding out some hope that Tom's (RIAT Air Ops) tweet of a couple of weeks back about his visit to Top Aces in Wittmund does result in an A-4 Skyhawk in the static display. The other possibility that I'm crossing my fingers for is that a couple of A-10s (especially the commemorative schemed one) can make the static park. I believe there's still eight of them in Estonia and they went that way in early June, so perhaps they'll be heading back west in July.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

harkins wrote:All getting a bit late/close now so besides the RAF anniversary set-pieces I don't expect much more to be announced. However, I'm still holding out some hope that Tom's (RIAT Air Ops) tweet of a couple of weeks back about his visit to Top Aces in Wittmund does result in an A-4 Skyhawk in the static display. The other possibility that I'm crossing my fingers for is that a couple of A-10s (especially the commemorative schemed one) can make the static park. I believe there's still eight of them in Estonia and they went that way in early June, so perhaps they'll be heading back west in July.

Didn't they route home via Iceland last weekend?

I'd rather have the Richthofen special Taifun than a Skyhawk to be honest, controversial I know. :grin:

harkins

Post by harkins »

Did they really? I guess they didn't touch down in the UK then as I haven't seen any mention of them going home. Gutted as I really thought that might happen. Oh well.

That Richthofen is a beauty but I'm still crossing everything for a Skyhawk. Never seen one you see.