Whelford End - spotting from pavement being blocked for 2018

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
boff180
UKAR Staff

Whelford End - spotting from pavement being blocked for 2018

Post by boff180 »

Evening guys,

This notice has been posted on facebook (which I've spotted on FC), I believe it is genuine.

Pedestrians/cyclists will be physically prevented from using the footpath on Whelford Road from the phonebox for 650 metres (approx Washpool Lane)

Fences will be erected preventing access and this will be steward/security manned at key times.

A replacement path will be put in place in the field adjacent the road using trackway. Effectively blocking all view of the airfield/runway due to high hedges on the field boundary.

This will be in force from 2nd July until 17th July.

Obviously many go outside from east arrivals or cycle round from Totterdown/Kempsford - this year you won't be able to. It has been an issue with people running into the road in front of traffic for some years. Few spoiling it for the many.etc.

This notice has been published by Glos. County Council. Closure of Footpath and Cycle Way, Whelford Road, Whelford. Notice is hereby given that, for reasons of safety, Glos County Council intends to make an Order to temporarily close a section of footpath and cycle way to prevent large numbers of viewing predestrians from standing under the approach flight path and on the edge of the roadway in close proximity of moving vehicular traffic during RIAT. The section of footpath and cycle way to be closed will be in Whelford Road between the start of the footpath and cycle way opposite the "telephone box", for a distance of 650 mtrs in a south westerly direction towards Kempsford. Fencing to facilitate this will be erected and at specific times stewards will be provided at both ends of this section to ensure compliance. An alternative foothpath and cycle track will be constructed using metal tracking to run parallel to the existing foothpath and cycle way on the south east, or other side of the fence line using adjacent agricultural land thereby channelling predestrians and cyclists away from the danger areas. THIS FOOTPATH AND CYCLE WAY WILL BE CLOSED DURING THE PERIOD 2nd JULY UNTIL 17th JULY 2018.

Eagle85

Re: Whelford End - spotting from footpath being stopped for

Post by Eagle85 »

So the way I'm reading it is that if you walk in to the show from Flyby camping/Whelford village you'll be diverted through the hedge, parallel with the existing cycle path, then back out to access the show?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Whelford End - spotting from Pavement being blocked for

Post by boff180 »

Yes that is my interpretation as well.

This is the rough area where pedestrian access will be blocked.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/51.68 ... m2!4m1!3e0

Eagle85

Post by Eagle85 »

It's a very sensible decision and long overdue. I did panic for a moment thinking that access would be completely blocked thus requiring a drive round the corner from Flyby to access the show on Friday and Saturday!

captainfurious

Post by captainfurious »

That's a shame! All part of my RIAT ritual riding round from Totterdown and plonking a chair for a few hours to get a different perspective and roar over your head! I am surprised though it's not happened sooner.

Brevet Cable

Re: Whelford End - spotting from pavement being blocked for

Post by Brevet Cable »

Same one that they've closed in the past, isn't it?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

No, the pavement has always been open, last year there was fencing the airfield side of the road.

This year pedestrians aren’t being allowed in the area at all.

MarkEstus

Post by MarkEstus »

So i cant sit outside the base and watch arrivals ? Yes im that thick
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/332375753559900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

harkins

Post by harkins »

This announcement at this time couldn’t have any relation to the strange handling of arrivals and departures P&V could it? If tickets do sell out on the day they’ll probably need these official restrictions to stop people who’ve travelled to Fairford and not got in from finding their own vantage points around the base.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

boff180 wrote:No, the pavement has always been open, last year there was fencing the airfield side of the road.
This year pedestrians aren’t being allowed in the area at all.

:up: I thought they closed the footpath as well, but presumably it was just the road?
Have to say it seems unusual, closing it from 2nd, unless there are other reasons for doing so.

Isn't the official campsite up by there, or is it in the field(s) closer to Kempsford?
아직도 숨어있다

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Fields much closer to Kempsford :-)

Closest thing is Site 15 which is now the Cadet campsite

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

How is this going to affect those who can only afford to watch the show from one of the campsites, but hoped to get a few pics of the static, is this still possible?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

It won't if you're at the campsite.
It will, if you plan to wander down to/through where the closed section is.
Although ttechnically, if you use the diversion footpath you'd still get photos of anything flying high enough
아직도 숨어있다

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Wonder if the nice folks of the council will trim the tree level so folk can still get views from the temporary footpath, atleast it will be doing what they wanted - keep onlookers and vehicles separate.

kianelle

Post by kianelle »

So will you be allowed to stay on the temp footpath to take photos of arivalls or will we be moved on?

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

IATthenRIAT wrote:Wonder if the nice folks of the council will trim the tree level so folk can still get views from the temporary footpath, at least it will be doing what they wanted - keep onlookers and vehicles separate.

But it's not just that is it? It's also riding the H&S / Post-Shoreham ticket to prevent persons who are financially-challenged / squeaks / freeloaders from having a cheap day out whilst the rest pay for it. So, much more income for Charity that's only one way perhaps? :wink:

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

kianelle wrote:So will you be allowed to stay on the temp footpath to take photos of arivalls or will we be moved on?

Take a lucky guess! maybe it's 50/50. :wink:
Not really, if you read the posts above? :tumbleweed:

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

Stagger2 wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:Wonder if the nice folks of the council will trim the tree level so folk can still get views from the temporary footpath, at least it will be doing what they wanted - keep onlookers and vehicles separate.

But it's not just that is it? It's also riding the H&S / Post-Shoreham ticket to prevent persons who are financially-challenged / squeaks / freeloaders from having a cheap day out whilst the rest pay for it. So, much more income for Charity that's only one way perhaps? :wink:

So you think you are entitled to a free show then? This is related to Shoreham in it's entirety. They've tried to police it in a more conventional way in the last few years but people refuse to move. You get jumped up spotters verbally abusing the security staff and threatening to sue them if they move them on "like I did at Cottesmore in 2002". I'm all for closing this footpath off, it makes it safer, not only in the sense of the approach but for the people that run across that road in front of cars just to get that shot. If it cuts your free air show, then so be it!
Last edited by Dan213 on Tue 26 Jun 2018, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Personally I think it's a real shame. I'm a FRIAT member and although i'm entitled to use the Park and View I often take a walk under the approach to get a different view. There's nothing quite like a jet flying right above you at low altitude. Personally I don't see any unreasonable risk associated with it. Anything worthwhile, obviously, has a certain amount of risk attached to it - but I think the cars pose a much greater threat to health than the aircraft... A shame anyway, another good spot gone.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

That’s precisely it, why should a driver who is just passing through on their daily business have to face the shock, stress and disruption caused by umpteen idiots running in front of their moving vehicle without warning so that they can get a photo?

Heaven forbid someone actually gets hit and imagine how that driver will feel.

Yes it is a case of the few spoiling it for the many however as those few are complete selfish idiots putting innocent people at risk, I fully support the decision on that basis.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

To be fair i've never seen anyone run out in front of a car there. I can understand them putting some barriers to separate the pedestrians from the traffic, but closing the whole approach area seems a bit over the top.

st24

Post by st24 »

boff180 wrote:That’s precisely it, why should a driver who is just passing through on their daily business have to face the shock, stress and disruption caused by umpteen idiots running in front of their moving vehicle without warning so that they can get a photo?

Heaven forbid someone actually gets hit and imagine how that driver will feel.

Yes it is a case of the few spoiling it for the many however as those few are complete selfish idiots putting innocent people at risk, I fully support the decision on that basis.

But a lot of the blame rests with the cretins who drive up and down there at high speed either expressing their frustrations at being held up for 10 seconds or how cool they are in front of all the spotter geeks...
If they just restricted access to the same line as the crowd line it would be okay. I'm all for stopping knuckle daggers who stand at the lights having their brain cell parted by Good Years finest..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Hm... seems I may be one of those knuckle draggers.

st24

Post by st24 »

MiG_Eater wrote:Hm... seems I may be one of those knuckle draggers.

No offence intended Mr MiG. Just that I really don't get the point and if there's ever a likely place for things to go belly up its there..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

The point (for me anyway) is that aircraft are exciting, on a visceral level, because they are loud and fast and there's very little way to experience that as supremely as to have an aircraft flying just feet above you on approach.

I accept that the risk is perhaps moderately greater to be there - but I consider it an acceptable one - and a small one. In any case, it's supposedly safe enough for cars to be there!