Whelford End - spotting from pavement being blocked for 2018

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
steveb23

Re: Whelford End - spotting from pavement being blocked for

Post by steveb23 »

IATthenRIAT wrote:I was chatting to my brothers and sisters (angels) and we are thinking of coming down about 50 of us, we plan to come down camp it out and do a few slow Noisy passes and get a few pics from our bikes.
Dont know about Tonka's being noisy - wait till you hear us. :wave:

You’re just trolling us aren’t you?

Don’t like crowds but happy to come down on your bike with a group of 50 others? Take pictures while riding your bike? - which btw would definitely mean the footpath diversion is justified for pedestrian safety!

Troll or freeloader pure and simple.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Not to mention that 50 of them are hardly going to be able to just turn up and find anywhere to camp.

Utter nonsense. I wish this kind of trolling could lead to a ban, it's very clear that's what s/he is doing. Although I do appreciate that rising to the bait hardly helps.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Somewhere there is a bridge that is missing the inhabitant that lives underneath

Jay

Post by Jay »

Are their any places which are not close to the site but i can still see the flying from, I have a 600mm lens so i dont really need to be that close. Call me a freeloader if you like, thats what I am i guess. I have paid enough times for airshows and the last couple I have bene to I have not enjoyed a great deal, Having Aspergers makes places like that with huge crowds and lots of unwanted noise, not the sound of the planes, i love that but its just all the other background noise, l went last year and was kind of stitched up by a friend (although he probably would not see it the same way) as he said i could join him and someone else so i would not be alone but when we got there they dropped it on me that they had paid to sit in the FRIAT enclosure, so it was like see you after the show! I'm not having a repeat of that again so i decided i am going to be a freeloader, there's only one plane I really want to see as well, the Mig 21 so its not worth paying out to get in just for one plane. I was thinking about from the road i didn't think they could close oit of as it looks like theor are houses by it, so are they confining residents to their houses for the duration of the show?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Fields on the North-side are the freeloaders' paradise.....don't know if they're all part of the various temporary campsites or not.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

jayne_morris

Post by jayne_morris »

Jay wrote:I really want to see as well, the Mig 21 so its not worth paying out to get in just for one plane. I was thinking about from the road i didn't think they could close oit of as it looks like theor are houses by it, so are they confining residents to their houses for the duration of the show?

the road will be open as it is the red route into the show ground, it will be one way into the show in the morning and will be one way in the other direction at night, in the area where the footpath is closed no pedestrians will be allowed along the road so no viewing from the road in this area

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Just watch out for a herd of Harleys thundering through Jay.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Nah....being typical Yank engineering, the H-Ds will break down before they get that far. :lol:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

I was going to reply with a Longgggggggggggg post but its not worth it, I was just having a bit of fun and lightening the serious mood on this forum.

I have been to lots and lots of shows and like many spent a small fortune on show related products - food and drink.

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Jay...you never have to apologise about your illness and the issues itgives you. I suffer from Anxiety and find myself apologising too.
Your doing great by trying to do the best you can and still seeing some of the planes. Im sure some on here will help you.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Cheers Mr Benn, I remember him! Before I got diagnosed with Aspergers i was just labelled with the catch all term learning disability but was also being treated for depression, and although I dont have a diagnosis of anxiety I do suffer from that occasionally, had my forst full blown anxiety/panic attack a year or so agao, I did not have a clue what was happening, i didnt even feel particularly anxious, to be honest i thouht i ws having a heart attack,m but still didnt want to waste anyones time so i called the non emergency number and then of course they ask you loads of questions and they must have thought it was something serious as they sent an ambulance out, which of course got me more anxious as I was expecting them to say its nothing to worry about!
Trouble is if all panic attacks are lke that i don't want to be calling an ambulance out everytime i have one, although i have not had one since then so perhaps it was a one off.
I might skip trying to see the Mig 21 now, i think its going to be difficult for me to get anywhere near, as the nearest train station is Swindon and I don't think there are any regular bus services that go anywhere near, I know there is a shuttle bus from Swindon but i think you can only use that if you have tickets for the airshow.
I suppose I could walk, i like walking and can walk quite long distances but i dont know if there are proper footpaths along the route, if i do decide to chance it it will be Sunday because I'm going to flying legends on Saturday (depending if my mate can join me) I'm happy to pay for a ticket to go there as there are more types i want to see, allows entrance to the museum,and also they are good enough to offer a discount for disabled people

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Fields on the North-side are the freeloaders' paradise.....don't know if they're all part of the various temporary campsites or not.

Totterdown park and view is the best viewpoint for the flying display.Furzey Hill park and view is probably the next best but more expensive.Be early for Totterdown though as it fills up very quickly.You should have no problem getting in Furzey though.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Jay wrote:Cheers Mr Benn, I remember him! Before I got diagnosed with Aspergers i was just labelled with the catch all term learning disability but was also being treated for depression, and although I dont have a diagnosis of anxiety I do suffer from that occasionally, had my forst full blown anxiety/panic attack a year or so agao, I did not have a clue what was happening, i didnt even feel particularly anxious, to be honest i thouht i ws having a heart attack,m but still didnt want to waste anyones time so i called the non emergency number and then of course they ask you loads of questions and they must have thought it was something serious as they sent an ambulance out, which of course got me more anxious as I was expecting them to say its nothing to worry about!
Trouble is if all panic attacks are lke that i don't want to be calling an ambulance out everytime i have one, although i have not had one since then so perhaps it was a one off.
I might skip trying to see the Mig 21 now, i think its going to be difficult for me to get anywhere near, as the nearest train station is Swindon and I don't think there are any regular bus services that go anywhere near, I know there is a shuttle bus from Swindon but i think you can only use that if you have tickets for the airshow.
I suppose I could walk, i like walking and can walk quite long distances but i dont know if there are proper footpaths along the route, if i do decide to chance it it will be Sunday because I'm going to flying legends on Saturday (depending if my mate can join me) I'm happy to pay for a ticket to go there as there are more types i want to see, allows entrance to the museum,and also they are good enough to offer a discount for disabled people

This is a very good point, I know a few people who suffer from anxiety and depression yet still have hobbies and interests, just big events or crowded places can be a real pain for them at best and no go areas at worst.
The best places for our hobby when you feel like this is the campsites as you can sometimes find a quiet spot yet still take photos of the display aircraft, just a shame about static aircraft as these are now just not possible to be seen, so it would feel like you are only seeing a third of the show.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Guys, seriously... this is the third time i've posted this but nobody seems to take note - if you walk to the far West of the RIAT showground the crowd-line is, in my experience, always sparsely populated.

You don't need to miss the airshow. You do, however, need to pay for your ticket.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

MiG_Eater wrote:Guys, seriously... this is the third time i've posted this but nobody seems to take note - if you walk to the far West of the RIAT showground the crowd-line is, in my experience, always sparsely populated.

You don't need to miss the airshow. You do, however, need to pay for your ticket.

On a photo I took from last year it shows the front along the display line all the way from where the RAF/GAF A400 and all the way up to the where the GAF Typhoon and F16s etc were parked, it also looked busy several people deep, and the static looked very busy also.

Like I said - its wasn't the lack of seeing display aircraft as the campsites where perfect for that.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

I was having a laugh about the bikes but it is true im ex para and suffer anxiety/depression and cant do large crowds for long spells, I have. been diagnosed with PTSD.

I dont know how possible or even practical this would be but how about if they did open top buses that went along that road, that would give some great photography similar to the old buses that used to go across to the flight lines (Remember them)

Just having a think how this bus could work - It could pick up from the different campsites and do a circle returning back to where it started from, it could have a nominal fee £5-£10 and it would give possibly two vantage points for photography from both ends of the runway.
It could do the journey every cupple of hours giving a fair chance for folk to do the journey.
I am sure it would not be breaking any regulations or causing a nuisance and do not think it would be a wast of money or under funded.

G for George

Post by G for George »

MiG_Eater wrote:Guys, seriously... this is the third time i've posted this but nobody seems to take note - if you walk to the far West of the RIAT showground the crowd-line is, in my experience, always sparsely populated.

You're right. Last year we spent a few hours down that end, it was really quiet in comparison. On the Saturday in 2016, I entered through the nearest gate (green?) to the Western end. Set up my deck chair near the fence and only moved for loo breaks, spent the whole day sat just behind and to the west of the American P8. Really quiet crowd-wise. Theres a couple of photos of the P8 on Google images taken from the nose, you can see the sparsely populated crowd line in the background. But yes, this means purchasing a ticket.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

IATthenRIAT wrote:

On a photo I took from last year it shows the front along the display line all the way from where the RAF/GAF A400M and all the way up to the where the GAF Typhoon and F16s etc were parked, it also looked busy several people deep, and the static looked very busy also.

Like I said - its wasn't the lack of seeing display aircraft as the campsites where perfect for that.

On the show days you will find plenty of space at the Western end. I have never ever known this not to be the case.

On arrivals days the far East of Eastern P&V normally has spaces on the crowdline or at worst, you can stand alone further back.

I'm not belittling your problem, but I can understand why people think you aren't genuine because these two answers solve all the problems that you claim make the airshow unattendable for you.

It is perfectly possible to do RIAT without crowds if you want to.

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

IATthenRIAT wrote:I was having a laugh about the bikes but it is true I'm ex para and suffer anxiety/depression and cant do large crowds for long spells, I have. been diagnosed with PTSD.

I dont know how possible or even practical this would be but how about if they did open top buses that went along that road, that would give some great photography similar to the old buses that used to go across to the flight lines (Remember them)

Just having a think how this bus could work - It could pick up from the different campsites and do a circle returning back to where it started from, it could have a nominal fee £5-£10 and it would give possibly two vantage points for photography from both ends of the runway.
It could do the journey every cupple of hours giving a fair chance for folk to do the journey.
I am sure it would not be breaking any regulations or causing a nuisance and do not think it would be a wast of money or under funded.

Surely a packed bus is far more congested than the crowd line and without the opportunity to move away from it? I mean this is the nicest way possible, but it really does seem like a case of not wanting to pay the admission ticket price here

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

IATthenRIAT wrote:I was having a laugh about the bikes but it is true I'm ex para and suffer anxiety/depression and cant do large crowds for long spells, I have. been diagnosed with PTSD.

:lol:

st24

Post by st24 »

Wow. It's quite obvious airshows just aren't for you, or at least ones where you need to pay to get in and/or have more than 5 people. Take up fishing or sailing - miles away from everyone and everything then. I was going to suggest going for a long bike ride but.....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

CJS

Post by CJS »

st24 wrote:

Wow. It's quite obvious airshows just aren't for you, or at least ones where you need to pay to get in and/or have more than 5 people. Take up fishing or sailing - miles away from everyone and everything then. I was going to suggest going for a long bike ride but.....

Buses with, what, 60 odd people on (see what I did there...), all crammed in to a confined space and all trying to get to one side of the bus to get a photo of the tail of an aircraft sticking up over the fence hundreds of metres away?

I can only echo the poor sod who keeps trying to tell you that the crowdline really isn't that busy at the western end. Certainly no busier than anywhere you might conceivably be able to gather to see anything meaningful of the display.

Obviously the static park is crowded and the queues to get in are long, but seriously, you're not going to get anywhere near the show and find somewhere where there aren't lots of people. Not with views of aircraft too anyway.

I think you need to find alternative plans for that weekend, I really do.

:tumbleweed:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

stealth117

Post by stealth117 »

Could you not just go and watch from the other end of the runway? Or is that blocked too?

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
I dont know how possible or even practical this would be but how about if they did open top buses that went along that road, that would give some great photography similar to the old buses that used to go across to the flight lines

Ignoring the admittance of the biker bit being utter BS, it’s clear to me you are just trolling the thread...

You offer the idea of a bus ride at far reduced costs just for campsites? Once again - it exists already and as I stated the last time I replied to you all you need to do is buy an admission ticket. Then enter the showground and hop straight on a bus.. do a couple of runs and depart again. You could use the ticket at any time of the day to miss the entrance queues if crowds aren’t your thing and then leave straight away after going up and down once/twice.

As this thread really is now well away from the original notification and discussion of the closure of the pavement, and is going in circles fuelled by your attempts to try and justify why you should get access at little or no cost, this thread is now locked. Any further attempts to continue the ‘discussion’ will result in further action.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

As an update to this thread.

Anyone thinking of ignoring this diverted footpath or depositing people in the middle of it then driving off (as used to happen at Waddington).

Please take note.

Heras fencing has been erected on the footpath abutting the roadway physically preventing all access for the entire length of the footpath closure.