Chris's (mostly) Static RIAT - *A Few more*

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
CJS

Chris's (mostly) Static RIAT - *A Few more*

Post by CJS »

A few from me of my annual day out in the Gloucestershire countryside. Almost all from the static park as I shoot with a compact, so most of the flying ones (heck, even these few) aren't up to UKAR standards really.

The editing I imagine is a bit Marmite, but C&C always appreciated. Thanks for looking :up:

Chris

ImageDSC05006 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC05002 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04999 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04998 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04991 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

One of the few BBMF shots I took that I was happy with!
ImageDSC04980 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04952 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04940 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04938 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04934 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04913 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04910 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04895 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04893 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04886 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04881 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04872 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04859 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

See, there was a B-52 after all :grin:

ImageDSC04854 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04842 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

Stupid table - should have re shot this on the way out at the end! But I loved the morning mist over the airfield in the background, not that the photo really does it much justice.
ImageDSC04833 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04831 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC04830 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

Just realised, these are in reverse chronological order - I quite liked the light on some of the airframes walking down from Green entrance just after the gates opened, it was (obviously) markedly different on the way out 10 hours later!

That was quite a lot wasn't it - sorry - if you've made it this far then thanks for looking. If you haven't, well then :tongue2:
See y'all next year :up:
Chris
Last edited by CJS on Tue 31 Jul 2018, 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: Chris's (mostly) Static RIAT

Post by Tommy »

CJS wrote:...aren't up to UKAR standards really.

There might've been in the past, and there certainly are for team members who produce content, but insofar as the forum is concerned? No such thing.

I started my photography journey here (and purposely haven't deleted any of them) five years ago. Absolute bag of crap my stuff was, seriously. Not even a patch on yours. We all have to start somewhere. Most of what I know about aviation photography I've learned from here. The thrill, to me, is someone taking the time to look at your shots, think about them, and offer opinions on how they might be improved.

So to you, Chris, and anyone else who feels they might not be up to scratch - You've got a Tommy-pass; as long as you're willing to learn and happy to receive tips and thoughts, then post away! You'll never improve if those shots sit on your hard drive forevermore never seeing the light of day.

What was I talking about? Oh yeah. Planez. I like the C-130 shot. Good-eye. Better than my attempt when I went down to the red end. :up:

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Some great shots there Chris, the composition on the shot of the red arrows tails is really pleasing. :smile:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Some nice, original shots here. I like the B-1, and the RAAF 100 logo and Reds tail shots are eye catching.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

CJS

Post by CJS »

Thanks for the comments chaps, I appreciate it :up: :up:

The B-1b was, IMHO, brilliantly positioned by DBH, because if you walked back from it about 30 feet you actually went up enough of a slope to be pretty much in line with the nose. If it was deliberate then it was genius!

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Loved looking at these, they’re quite unique! :smile:

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

This is the best RIAT thread I have seen on here, by a long way, well done, such original thinking. The best photography starts with the mind, not a 100-400 lens. :clap:

harkins

Post by harkins »

Great photos Chris. I largely end up with a lot of what I think are referred to as 'record shots' and seeing your photos makes me realise I should think outside the box for some variation and interest. Very creative!

UKTopgun wrote:This is the best RIAT thread I have seen on here, by a long way, well done, such original thinking. The best photography starts with the mind, not a 100-400 lens. :clap:

Not sure why your praise has to come with a dig at what is probably the most widely used lens in the hobby.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Really nice set, most interesting that I've seen from RIAT so far. Reds shot is really nice and I live the details you've picked up like the B-52 on the floor! Great stuff!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Thanks guys for your kind comments. I think not having the kit required to take really memorable flying shots - like many of the fascistic RIAT threads already posted - makes me try at least to think outside the box a little.

I should, while I'm here, give a nod to 2 particular UKARians (both of whom happen to be staffers, but that's coincidence), namely LN Strike Eagle and wissam24, who I have shamelessly plundered for ideas on how to shoot static displays. LN for his lovely war bird shots from places like OW and Sam for shots he took when in Russia, and not just of aircraft. What they both showed me apart from anything else, is that you really don't need the whole aircraft/building/whatever else you're shooting in the photo for it to be successful.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

harkins wrote:Great photos Chris. I largely end up with a lot of what I think are referred to as 'record shots' and seeing your photos makes me realise I should think outside the box for some variation and interest. Very creative!

UKTopgun wrote:This is the best RIAT thread I have seen on here, by a long way, well done, such original thinking. The best photography starts with the mind, not a 100-400 lens. :clap:

Not sure why your praise has to come with a dig at what is probably the most widely used lens in the hobby.

It was not meant to be a dig at that lens, I have one myself. My point is, 20 photographers with that lens but no imagination will never be as good as a guy with a 200 pound compact and ideas!

FastJetsBest

Post by FastJetsBest »

Very nice set, some great close up shots, I agree with everyone else it’s always nice to see something different and outside the box.

harkins

Post by harkins »

UKTopgun wrote:It was not meant to be a dig at that lens, I have one myself. My point is, 20 photographers with that lens but no imagination will never be as good as a guy with a 200 pound compact and ideas!

Sorry for misinterpreting your comment and I agree totally with your sentiment. I'm really kicking myself that I lack Chris's imagination and vision and have missed an opportunity. Chris really found a way to mitigate the problems of shooting good pictures in a static park cluttered with cones, ice cream vans, flags and toilets - although that pesky table got into the Tornado shot. Still a good shot though.

CJS

Post by CJS »

harkins wrote:
UKTopgun wrote:It was not meant to be a dig at that lens, I have one myself. My point is, 20 photographers with that lens but no imagination will never be as good as a guy with a 200 pound compact and ideas!

Sorry for misinterpreting your comment and I agree totally with your sentiment. I'm really kicking myself that I lack Chris's imagination and vision and have missed an opportunity. Chris really found a way to mitigate the problems of shooting good pictures in a static park cluttered with cones, ice cream vans, flags and toilets - although that pesky table got into the Tornado shot. Still a good shot though.

Thanks Harkins. I do regret not going back to shoot the Tornado again, but I dunno, maybe then the lighting would have been different or something. I presume (someone with greater tech knowledge will help me I'm sure) that getting the table out, as I know can be done with erroneous cones, wires etc... would be too tricky to make worthwhile. :dunno:

harkins

Post by harkins »

It's not that bad. Not really distracting and at least they parked it neatly.

You're right though, the light and mist would have been lost later on. And you might have waited an eternity for the Tornado not to have a family walking in the background carrying an expeditions worth of camping equipment!

CJS

Post by CJS »

harkins wrote:It's not that bad. Not really distracting and at least they parked it neatly.

You're right though, the light and mist would have been lost later on. And you might have waited an eternity for the Tornado not to have a family walking in the background carrying an expeditions worth of camping equipment!

:grin:

I did have to wait a while for the Typhoon engine one, you can still see the bum of the lady who decided to stand right behind them while she decided (pondered very carefully more like) which direction to walk off in. In the end I decided that she'd got far enough out the way and I couldn't be bovverred to wait any longer.

Bloomin' other people eh... :surrender:

harkins

Post by harkins »

CJS wrote:Bloomin' other people eh... :surrender:

Indeed. It's as if they don't know that we're entitled aviation enthusiasts and that they are ruining our airshow with their ridiculous and unnecessary family days out! :wink:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

These are lovely and as others have said, it's great to see something different.

I particularly like your 'gorillas in the mist' shot of the C-130s (presumably taken early one morning?) Very atmospheric. :clap:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

CJS

Post by CJS »

Thanks Skyflash, yes at about 745 on the Saturday.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

My favourite set. Tells a story. Thanks for posting. :clap:

CJS

Post by CJS »

It tells a small part of my RIAT story, the main part is told much more dynamically through other posts!!

But thank you for your kind comments :up:

coanda

Post by coanda »

Really great set - it looks like they were taken by someone who enjoys the art of photography, rather than someone simply recording an event. I hope you are happy with them, because you should be!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Yep,I am pretty pleased with these ones. Like I've said though, there are many wonderful threads with the flying display in, my kit isn't up to that so I force myself to look around the static park for a bit longer.

Thanks for your kind comments though again guys, I do really appreciate it. :clap:

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

Nice to see a set that aren't like everybody else's! Whilst I do have the kit to get the display shots, I use various cameras over the weekend, including a compact and from my phone. Some of my favourite RIAT images have been taken on the latter. I like images that capture the full flavour of the show, not just an F-35 covered in vapour. :smile:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Thanks both :up: