RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
MarkEstus

RIAT 2019

Post by MarkEstus »

Very early i know but does anyone know what next years air show's theme will be ?

Thanks

Mark
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/332375753559900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chill51

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by chill51 »

70 years of NATO
Mike

Uniden UBC 780 XLT
Winradio WR-G31DDC Excalibur
Drake R8A
Diamond D.777
Wellbrook ALA 1530L
AirNav

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

That makes me feel old - the 50 years of NATO only seems like a few years ago!

MarkEstus

Post by MarkEstus »

Thank you for replying :) did i hear it was also 75 years of RAF Fairford being there ?
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/332375753559900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

MarkEstus wrote:Thank you for replying :) did i hear it was also 75 years of RAF Fairford being there ?

Yes that was mentioned today, hard to think what might be there especially for that though.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

jason82wells wrote:
MarkEstus wrote:Thank you for replying :) did i hear it was also 75 years of RAF Fairford being there ?

Yes that was mentioned today, hard to think what might be there especially for that though.

More or less the Same stuff you will be seeing this weekend no doubt.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

jason82wells wrote:

Concorde...? ;)

Come to think of it, it'll also be the 50th anniversary of 001 G-BSST landing there after its maiden flight, and that makes me feel very old!
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

jason82wells wrote:

I suppose it would be strange to not have the NATO E-3A there, and it’s likely that the C-17 from Hungary will also be there. Apart from that, plenty of NATO nations attend each year so it’s hard to say what could be different.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

No different from any other show ...

They have lost their ability to think outside the box these days!

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

AARDVARK wrote:No different from any other show ...

Care to elaborate? Do you have any suggestions as to what they can do differently?

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I think the NATO anniversary could yield some interesting stuff, but genuinely - i'm just hoping for a show that is of similar quality to RIAT 2018 and 2017. As always, the shows get utterly lambasted in comparison to their quality. If we had an exact re-run of this year I would be very happy indeed.

It would be nice (and fitting) to see the return of the B-52 and B-1. Maybe someday we'll see them in the air again.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

jalfrezi wrote:
AARDVARK wrote:No different from any other show ...

Care to elaborate? Do you have any suggestions as to what they can do differently?

Set demo scenarios ,like they used to finish shows on,look back to shows in the 1990’s and early 00’s finale was always a set piece,amazing spectacle which made the show stand out from it's contemparies,it’s not about volume of aircraft it’s about what you do with them and the way you sell a vision,Mr Bowen was a visionary who had big ideas for each year and most of the time manage to pull them off!!

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

To be fair to Aardvark - it has never been quite the same since Paul Bowen's passing - although I do think there's been a steady improvement since the new feller took over from Tim Prince.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

MiG_Eater wrote:To be fair to Aardvark - it has never been quite the same since Paul Bowen's passing - although I do think there's been a steady improvement since the new feller took over from Tim Prince.

I agree,this new guy seems to grasp what RIAT is all about in the fact that since he tock over from Mr Prince we have seen an increase in fast jet demos and they do try to book the Demo teams doing the rounds in Europe.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

I too would love to see the return of an 'airfield attack' type demo as a set-piece to complement the plethora of fast-jet demos and display teams, simply to provide a completely different type of spectacle.

I appreciate that these are difficult to organise (especially in the modern era), but the pay-off for the viewing public is spectacular.

For evidence of just how good these can be we need look no further than the Dutch 'Open Days' airshows, which always incorporate a routine like this (and in 2016 introduced the F-35 to the European airshow scene in terrific style by adding it to the set-piece... seeing it hurtling around at about 100ft through plumes of pyro smoke was a fairly awesome first glimpse of the type... :rock: )
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

2019 is the centenary of Alcock and Brown's transatlantic flight. Last time that anniversary was celebrated it was in a specially marked Phantom (which was at RIAT that year): maybe a Typhoon could do it this time?

It's also the centenary of the Allied Supreme War Council deciding to back the White Russians against the Bolsheviks (Finland also declared war on them).

It marks the 50th anniversary of the Harrier GR1 entering RAF service, the 70th of the end of the Berlin Blockade, first flight of Canberra, Comet and the founding of Saab. Ten years earlier, in 1939, I believe something significant may also have started.

NATO's good to celebrate, but RIAT needs to stretch beyond that a bit.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

We'll have a small, silly, meaningless sticker stuck on the side of a Typhoon or F-35, then. :whistle: :biggrin:

Unless my old copy of Jane's is wrong, it's also the 50th anniversary of the first flight of the Hind & Tu-22

It's also the 25th anniversary of the Typhoon.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

2019 will also be the 55th Anniversary of the Red Arrows - with presumably no airshow at RAF Scampton due to its closure will RIAT also adopt this as one of its themes? RIAT was the 'official' public celebration of the Reds 50th and had the special flypast with team leaders of Frecce Tricolori/ PdF/ Patrouille Suisse and the Breitling Jet Team (on the Friday only) that year..

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

BossMann wrote:2019 will also be the 55th Anniversary of the Red Arrows

Since when has the "55th Anniversary" been a thing...? :dunno:

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Why not?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Nah, there’s no precedent for 55. 60 is the next significant anniversary and assuming the reds and RIAT make it that far - which I’m sure they will - I’ll be expecting an international birthday party with a full set of invitations going out.

Plenty of water to pass under the bridge before then.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Would be nice if Putin starts to play nice by the time the Red’s 60th comes around, the Russian Knights’ participation would be perfect. :love:

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

PeterR wrote:
BossMann wrote:2019 will also be the 55th Anniversary of the Red Arrows

Since when has the "55th Anniversary" been a thing...? :dunno:

It was only because the Italian Air Force held an airshow in 2016 to celebrate the Frecce Tricolori's 55th Anniversary attended nine military aerobatic teams: Saudi Hawks (Royal Saudi AF) ; Patrouille Suisse (Swiss AF); Midnight Hawks (Finnish AF); Patrouille de France (French AF) ; Royal Jordanian Falcons (Royal Jordanian AF); Team Iskry (Polish AF); Patrulla Águila (Spanish AF); Turkish Stars (Turkish AF); Red Devils (Belgian AF) ???? Red Arrows were absent for some odd reason ???
https://www.milavia.net/airshows/frecce ... niversary/

This was a bigger celebration than the Reds had in 2014 for their 50th at RIAT

But I guess the Reds will have other issues like sorting out a new home for themselves ...

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

It's DBH....they can make it up as they go along, like they usually do.
70th anniversary was an oddity, as most would normally think 75.
Ditto 40th, 60th & 90th anniversaries have been done over the last 10 years or so.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Nah, there’s no precedent for 55. 60 is the next significant anniversary and assuming the reds and RIAT make it that far - which I’m sure they will - I’ll be expecting an international birthday party with a full set of invitations going out.

Plenty of water to pass under the bridge before then.